PDA

View Full Version : John Cena wrestling ability

the wrestling shade
07-12-2011, 12:19 AM
The only reason that would be for people to say That John Cena cant wrestler is not that he cant wrestle. its just he is very stale and uses the same five moves of doom and yes I believe this is what realy is killing his wrestling look and talent. for nearly 1 year now I saw that Cena realy have a wrestling ability. he knows how to start the match, arm drags, and so on... but what i think is needed to be done with him is
1-change his pants for god sake!!
2-ok make him does the (you cant see me taunt) but then change this fist of his because lits face it its very embaricing that everytime its obvious he doesnt connects, maybe use a fast leg drop or something better.
3-change his current combo with the shouldier blocks and so on or keep it but add new combos it would make the crowd forget how stale he is.
4- add a highrisk move to his arsenal beside the flying leg drop from the top rope a move that would fire up the game in the beginning maybe like the one that undertaker uses or just a simple suicide dive. and yes Cena can do it and he wont say no to it.
5- well ok the fire man carry slam is realy weak for a finisher and dont tell me it doesnt matter because this is sports entertainment and not wrestling because even in sports entertainment this move is weak and even John Cena himself would tell you that. however if John Cena is not thinking of changing his finisher for he has been doing it since forever now. but maybe he can add a slight change to it and turn it into a death valley driver and no they are not the same because the death valley driver would look more devistating if it's done right (christopher daniels?) and no its not hard for Cena to preform it in daniels way.
so what do you guys think is need to be done with Cena wrestling skills?

helmsley
07-12-2011, 12:22 AM
i agree with you that his finisher is lame at best, and i thinnk that he should add a flying manouver and some suplexes

IrkenInvader
07-12-2011, 12:24 AM
But Cena can't learn more than 4 moves.

WPack911
07-12-2011, 12:45 AM
"The only reason that would be for people to say That John Cena cant wrestler is not that he cant wrestle. its just he is very stale and uses the same five moves of doom and yes I believe this is what realy is killing his wrestling look and talent"

This is like saying that the only reason a crap sandwich tastes bad is cause somebody put crap in it.

Cena does the same moves over and over because these are the moves he is capable of doing. He is a wrestler with a super muscular build and while this looks good, it also hurts mobility A LOT. This is why Cena can not do as much as a guy like CM Punk, Christian, Randy Orton or countless other guys that while not high flyer's can at times let loose with some killer high flying or technical moves. Cena is like Hulk Hogan, a guy that can not wrestle as well as many or even most, but his Charisma and appeal to kids and women get him through. HOWEVER, Cena does not have that extra jolt of mic skills or charisma like Hogan had to make the real wrestling fans love him too, that is the most key element of all cause those fans are the most vocal and loyal and without them you will never have the whole crowd.

Cena is fools gold, a wrestler that looks like the perfect prototype, but when you sit down and look beyond the surface you realise is far from what makes the perfect wrestler.

VanHooliganX
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM

Cena is indeed a Pokemon. God forbid the day he evolves.

miraistreak
07-12-2011, 01:00 AM

I love that joke...

Seriously though, while the AA is weak, Let's face it, MANY finishers are weak. Ignoring the 1980's/Early 90's. (because that's too easy)

Sweet Chin Music? Performed as a regular move by Morrison among others. Edge/Batista - Spear. Done by WAY too many superstars. 450 Splash/Shooting Star Press - Does no more damage than ANY top rope splash. Starship Pain (when not botched)? Barely stronger than a big shoulder block. The simple truth is the other most "hated" finisher -- Wasteland looks more painful.

However, lets face it. Would you change the Pedigree? The Sharp Shooter? The Rock Bottom? (another WEAK move) The Hogan Leg Drop? (I know, too easy) Some might, but let's face it. It's 'canon', and it's their signature. You don't mess with the AA. Maybe add another few finishers from time to time, but the AA is king for Cena until he can no longer do the move.

As for adding more "5 moves of death" or changing them up. Again, similar idea. Stick with the ones we know because that's his character (fisherman's suplex for example) but throwing move #11 and #13 from time to time does change things up enough. Cena with a Drop kick is a perfect example, which he is doing more regularly, but uncommon enough that it makes you blink a few times.

On some side notes, why can't R-Truth get a pin with the Vertical Suplex Stunner? I'm just saying, THAT is the most devastating non-finisher in the WWE right now. And if you want to think of a painful finisher from a non-main eventer -- Backstabber by Carlito and Primo. Pointy Knees hurt and its fairly logical to think why trying to kick out would suck.

Rain Man
07-12-2011, 01:06 AM
I agree with the post above completely except maybe rock bottom, shit looked strong enough to put an opponent thru a table everytime, and just because Rock makes it look easy - it ain't so :D. BTW, idd u guys notice that RTruth has the MOST POWERFUL NON-FINISHERS in recent memory? Dude has like 4 moves that make AA look like Atomic Leg Drop, haha, yet he never scored a pin fall with those. That's just BS, it is unbelievable how R-Truth hits all sorts of stunners, DDT's and inverse Rock Bottoms yet he loses by one AA XD

miraistreak
07-12-2011, 01:23 AM
I remember the first time I saw the Vertical Suplex Stunner (Summerslam 2010) from R-Truth I was like "HOLY SHIT!" and the crowd and even the superstars popped accordingly. It LOOKED like a finisher, but no... a low-card superstar kicks out... (sigh)

IrkenInvader
07-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Cena doing a new move in the ring would have an effect similar to dividing by zero.

miraistreak
07-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Divide by Zero? No, that would be Hogan losing to a wrestler who has less than 20 years experience in a Top-Level promotion (WWE/TNA/WCW)

machoo mann
07-12-2011, 01:59 AM
the man is so broken up.. he does almost every houseshow + every RAW so Cena should be "fired" in MITB and take a earned break from wrestling..then come back and maybe freshen up that character and make his movepool a little bit wider.

the wrestling shade
07-12-2011, 02:04 AM
I love that joke...

Seriously though, while the AA is weak, Let's face it, MANY finishers are weak. Ignoring the 1980's/Early 90's. (because that's too easy)

Sweet Chin Music? Performed as a regular move by Morrison among others. Edge/Batista - Spear. Done by WAY too many superstars. 450 Splash/Shooting Star Press - Does no more damage than ANY top rope splash. Starship Pain (when not botched)? Barely stronger than a big shoulder block. The simple truth is the other most "hated" finisher -- Wasteland looks more painful.

However, lets face it. Would you change the Pedigree? The Sharp Shooter? The Rock Bottom? (another WEAK move) The Hogan Leg Drop? (I know, too easy) Some might, but let's face it. It's 'canon', and it's their signature. You don't mess with the AA. Maybe add another few finishers from time to time, but the AA is king for Cena until he can no longer do the move.

As for adding more "5 moves of death" or changing them up. Again, similar idea. Stick with the ones we know because that's his character (fisherman's suplex for example) but throwing move #11 and #13 from time to time does change things up enough. Cena with a Drop kick is a perfect example, which he is doing more regularly, but uncommon enough that it makes you blink a few times.

On some side notes, why can't R-Truth get a pin with the Vertical Suplex Stunner? I'm just saying, THAT is the most devastating non-finisher in the WWE right now. And if you want to think of a painful finisher from a non-main eventer -- Backstabber by Carlito and Primo. Pointy Knees hurt and its fairly logical to think why trying to kick out would suck.

You know I would have agreed with your post if people arent complaining about his so called shit wrestling skills. so from what I understood you dont want to change John Cena's wrestling ability and you want to keep him this way but the crowd arent amused by this?! if thats the case then we didnt acomplish anything and the crowd will hate Cena the same like before

Macho Libre
07-12-2011, 02:43 AM
Cena needs to stay away from submissions. Watching him apply the STF is more painful to watch than accepting him do an Attitude Adjuster!

Enforcer23
07-12-2011, 04:29 AM
well i watched his match he done pretty well that guy can wrestle andd his submissions arnt even that bad his been doing that for like 5 years now i believe

Markedoutforlife
07-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Cena has been doing a few new moves as of let. One new move of his,that I enjoy, is the dropkick. He has a decent verticle leap.
I would like to see him mimick others finishers to get the win. It would show the kiddies how effective his opponents finishers while still having super cena. He could add a senton bomb now that no one in the E is using it. I always thought the bosron crab was a good fit with him.... Pun intended.

daverende5
07-12-2011, 05:39 AM
THe AA was at best when it was countered into an RKO through a table...

Enforcer23
07-12-2011, 06:22 AM
No AA was at best when he did it to khali and big show

TaraCore
07-12-2011, 06:27 AM
I don't think it's the lack of moves. I think it's the way he sells them that's a bit rubbish. I mean, Stone cold had the same amount as Cena... Maybe a few more. But he was able to sell the moves. something as simple as the mud hole stomp in the corner looked awesome.
I know Cena is bigger than Austin, but you could argue HHH is just as big and manages fine.

KSTornado
07-12-2011, 07:25 AM
The thing about a finishing move is that it takes two to make it look good (unless you are Evan Borne). The thing that made SCSA's stunner look good was the reaction of his opponent to it. Same goes for a lot of finishers. I do agree with not changing Cena's 5 moves of doom as it is a part of his charactar. Adding to it would be fine but no reason to revamp completely unless of course he turned heel.

AOF666
07-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Cena defently needs to change his move set. He is going out there and calling himself a wrestler. When you call yourself a wrestler, you need to start wrestling and not put on a show. Cena also needs to start selling the beatings he takes also. His inring psychology sucks, he needs to learn how to tell a story. Even Hogan knew how to do that.

Enforcer23
07-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Cena defently needs to change his move set. He is going out there and calling himself a wrestler. When you call yourself a wrestler, you need to start wrestling and not put on a show. Cena also needs to start selling the beatings he takes also. His inring psychology sucks, he needs to learn how to tell a story. Even Hogan knew how to do that.

all i can say is watch his last match he had on raw he showed what he can do

Dr. Death
07-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Cena has improved from when he started, but is still a clutz in the ring. His stf on raw was so weak my 10 year old son saw how fake his move was and was laughing at how ridiculous it looked. He told me that Cena wasn't applying the pressure right and there was no possible way that it was painful to anyone. Cena's dropkick is somewhat a new move for him. I understand that he doesn't want to actually injure his opposition, but at least make it look real. Also I agree that he needs to sell the moves better, he has that special charisma with the crowd that makes them want to either cheer, or boo loudly, which brings the fans interaction. This = sales for the WWE, that is the only reason he is a main event-er. I hope he gets some time off to nurse his injuries and work on his in-ring skills some more. He needs to stop the steroids and get to work on actual coordination in his moves.

The Brown One
07-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Cena has improved from when he started

I honestly liked his old stuff better..when he was in OVW and such.

Cena does those "5 moves of doom" because the WWE want him to do so. He can wrestle, as we have seen on occassions and his old stuff. But the WWE restricts him to that set of moves (except the occasional diving leg drop and dropkick) because his fans can relate to that. They have grown up watching him do that for several years now, and they still eat it up. Although, it still annoys me that they won't realize that his moveset has become stale, and let him expand his repertoire of moves. To me, hes become almost unwatchable, and I find that the best parts of his matches are when the heels get some offense in.

brodius
07-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Cena is fools gold, a wrestler that looks like the perfect prototype, but when you sit down and look beyond the surface you realise is far from what makes the perfect wrestler.

HA HA HA you said he looks like the perfect Prototype. Maybe he should come back as that character after some time off.

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/prototype.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWo9thujgGI

Pumpkinhead
07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
The guy can wrestle but I think he oversells too much and his movement its awful, have you seen him hit a clothesline, a few improvement is his movement and he'll be ready, "The fives moves of Doom" are implied by the WWE, that's not going to change

maar13
07-12-2011, 10:33 AM
While he is repetitive and yes, he is some times seems robotic, when allowed to he can pull a good set of moves, yes the AA seem weak but like others said, a lot of finishers look weak, Except for the comment of the 450, that SOB hurts way more than a regular splash or a shooting star press, for real.

I think he applies the STF like that because the day he applied like it was supposed to be he put Edge to sleep in the middle of a cage match, so probably that is why it is more flashy than effective looking.

Triple H did the same with The Pedigree, the original version was devastating but he started changing it when he faced Austin at Summer Slam 99, with Austin neck history you could not take the chance and then he got used to release the hold before it actually hits. Benoit did the same with the Sharpshooter late on hiscareer, when he was allowing them to escape it, it looked bad, but when he was supposed to win with it, it looked great.

Spear-O-Matic
07-12-2011, 11:36 AM
It wouldn't kill them to let him use a spinebuster or sidewalk slam occasionally. Spinebusters are generally awesome and make a much better signature than the Five Knuckle Shuffle and a sidewalk slam is a simple move that would add a little variety.

Rilla
07-12-2011, 11:39 AM
I remember the first time I saw the Vertical Suplex Stunner (Summerslam 2010) from R-Truth I was like "HOLY SHIT!" and the crowd and even the superstars popped accordingly. It LOOKED like a finisher, but no... a low-card superstar kicks out... (sigh)

This. That should DEF. be Truth's finisher.

WPack911
07-12-2011, 12:42 PM
HA HA HA you said he looks like the perfect Prototype. Maybe he should come back as that character after some time off.

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen this before, but it could not prove my point any better about his look. He should have stayed as slim as he was then, you can see how much better his mobility was back then before he bulked himself up to Super Cena and thus killed his mobility.

Russo swerve
07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Everything about cena just makes me sick especially his demeanor

Russo swerve
07-12-2011, 02:57 PM

I like the prototype better than john cena and I only seen him for 3minuts

jrsckilla23
07-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm Anti-Cena since he first started but he doesn't need to change the AA or FU whatever he calls it these days but when he does the STFU that shit clearly looks like he really ain't putting no hold into it, just look at Benoit and Kurt Angle when they locked on the crippler crossface and kurt the ankle lock Shit!!! it looked like it hurt the opponent even me just by looking at it.....Cena just needs to change everything about him especially him being himself in wrestling entertainment, his stupid clothes, his stupid promos and his stupid song. But if he does do that changes his character still i will be Anti-Cena forever never liked his homothug, thinks he served in the armed forces and his ridiculous Barney and Sesame Street Entertainment.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/jrsckilla23/cenanomoretears.png
"I tell them all the time i bust my ass for the WWE, give them lame ass jokes, lame ass freestlyes and stupid movies but still don't like me" - John Cena IS THE WWE=WORST WRESTLING ENTERTAINER

Bodom
07-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh look. Another thread for bitching about Cena.

CLOSED