PDA

View Full Version : Why do Ladder Matches Suck Nowadays (in WWE)??

Macho Libre
07-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Compare the present WWE matches to the matches in the Attitude Era - especially ladder matches. WWE ladder matches in the Attitude Era could be compared to ECW matches - they had huge impact & great actions. Nowadays, they aren't exciting that way.

Is this because of PG? Or is this, because WWE wants the wrestlers not to be hurt?

Enforcer23
07-11-2011, 07:44 AM
not enough time to make it big hopefully come MITB we see some exciting stuff...wish john morrison was in it

steveorton
07-11-2011, 07:44 AM
IMO the money in the bank ladder matches are always great, I'm jus sayin...

Macho Libre
07-11-2011, 07:47 AM
the Money in the Bank ladder match at WrestleMania 25 disappointed me & WrestleMania 26 MITB bored the sh*t outta me.

Lowki
07-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Compare the present WWE matches to the matches in the Attitude Era - especially ladder matches. WWE ladder matches in the Attitude Era could be compared to ECW matches - they had huge impact & great actions. Nowadays, they aren't exciting that way.

Is this because of PG? Or is this, because WWE wants the wrestlers not to be hurt?
Mixture. Not so violent because of PG but also less risks because of bad injuries and a match like this really does shorten careers in the long run. Look how bad Jeff Hardy, Edge and others are now. Hardy was popping prescription pain killers among other things for years which is probably one of the reasons for his addictions.

Goldust22
07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Well if you look at the best ladder match competitors over the years you have Shawn Micahels, Jeff Hardy, RVD, Chris Jericho, Edge and Sheton Benjamin.

They have either all retired or have left the company. The only ladder match i would pay to see in WWE now is John Morrison vs Dolph Ziggler.

But havent all lader matches gone down hill after Joey Mercury nearly lost his eye?

Macho Libre
07-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Hardy was popping prescription pain killers among other things for years which is probably one of the reasons for his addictions.

You can't really blame ladder matches for Jeff Hardy's addiction to pain killers when he could have seeked treatment easily. Kurt Angle was constantly popping pills and he was barely in any ladder matches.

The Brown One
07-11-2011, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't say that ladder matches "suck" nowadays (in the WWE), but are of poorer quality than what we have witnessed in the past. Like the others have said, violence and injury plays a critical factor into this match. Accidents can, and have happened, so they had to tone it down. However, I still thought that the Raw/SD MITB matches at last year's MITB PPV were decent, and the ladder match between Christian and Shelton Benjamin was good.

Kerrastone
07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I think ladder matches are still really good. JoMo v Sheamus, The last MITB PPV had 2 good ladder matches, WM 25 and 26 weren't the best but WM 21-24 were great.

Sully
07-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Maybe it's because they've done everything they can. It's not that the quality has decreased, it's just that they've already taken the high risks and the big moves that they can. I wouldn't even say they suck, there's been a lot of good quality matches the last few years, Take HBK vs Y2J for example. Didn't Morrison fight in one earlier this year as well?

Plus we'll see the MITB in 6 days, I highly doubt either of the two MITB matches will suck this year, especially with Evan Bourne, Justin Gabriel, Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingston, The Miz, and even Kane. All of these guys can put a show on in the MITB matches. And I have a feeling WWE has a few cards up there sleeves with Sin Cara in the match too. Don't be surprised if you see him making a few high risks Sunday night.

alexrules01
07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Im kinda want to order this PPV just to see what happens with CM Punk-so the WWE has kinda done there job to market this ppv. But I always love ladder matches. Hopefully there will be a SSP off the top of the ladder, a C4 by Sin Cara, Kofi doing somthing crazy and Kane breaking ladders.

maar13
07-11-2011, 10:21 AM
In my view it depends, for me 8 men in a single mathc is just too much and it was even more ridiculous with 10, they didn't even have enough time to do anything.

6 is the right way to go, also, why in the case of the PPV 2? why not just one? I would be better and will give the winner the opportunity to go both shows.

In the general case, I thing maybe is like all other gimmick matches, they have been over exposed. I mean just look at how many gimmick PPV that will include a ladder match: TLC at least 2 (TLC is actually a ladder match, the fact they uses the tabbles and the chairs are just to fancy it up), Xtreme Rules at least has one and 2 MITB so at least you have 4 Ladder matches a year at the very least, some times that makes it feel not as special as they used to be.

vbirwin
07-11-2011, 10:40 AM
There is only so much you can do in this format and there have been so many Ladder matches over the years that most everything has been done. And in order to try to top what has already been done the risks involved, in my opinion, just aren't worth it.

the wrestling shade
07-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I dont think it has nothing to do with PG its just WWE isnt looking for the best highrisks moves and to produce a content of that kind of level, simply because there is no competation to them so why even bother. Also WWE recent policy that would prevent ultra violence and taking chair shots to the head along side their desire of them not hurting their preformers and taking high bumbs in my openion is the main reason for the demise of the ladder matches .

jethro
07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Even if it's PG and WWE try to be careful with match like ladder match theres possible a wrestler get busted even they're not in the match,for example Brodus clay.

WWE try to reduce high risk on ladder matches because WWE wrestlers are traveling in brutal schedule and having little time to rest their body,its not like they wrestle once a month.

AOF666
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I think Vince is trying limite the injury risk. Obviously head injury is the top priority( we all knew what happen 4 years ago with too many concussions). Another is probably trying to keep his super stars from abusing drugs.

PHENOMINAL ENIGMA
07-11-2011, 11:30 AM
you cant complain that it made you an addict but lots of people become addicted to pain killers it's not only ladder matches just look at some of kurts matches he puts himself through hell

PHENOMINAL ENIGMA
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
IMO over exspectations through out the last 15 years wrestlers have been over doing each other to the point of the saying WTF is there left to do you went from HBK body splash at WM 10 to Jhardy 20 ft swanton at WM 16 to Edge's spear off the ladder WM 17, Sheltons running clothsline WM 21, Jhardy drive through Edge & the ladder WM 23 all the way to Kofi's boom drop through the anounce table honestly I would just be thinking why half kill myself if next month some1's just gonna top be by doing something bigger

Rilla
07-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I think Vince is trying limite the injury risk. Obviously head injury is the top priority( we all knew what happen 4 years ago with too many concussions). Another is probably trying to keep his super stars from abusing drugs.

This is the reason his high-flies don't move like they do in the indies. They run a VERY high-risk style and, from reports, Vince wants to limit that to keep them healthy.

PHENOMINAL ENIGMA
07-11-2011, 12:35 PM
if vince doesn't want them hurt maybe dont get them working 120 day's a year

aweso_me
07-11-2011, 01:07 PM
All gimmick matches in WWE are bad now. How can a falls count anywhere match end in the ring? The wrestlers don't leave the ring anymore and fight in the crowd like they used to. I think since it's sport entertainment now, the ring is seen as a stage like in Shakespeare's time. No holds barred matches don't have any weapons in WWE anymore. I'm not saying use the weapon on your opponent, but at least have it out and pretend you are going to use it. These matches are horrible now. This is why the ladder matches suck and why the fenced in matches (cage match) suck too.

Markedoutforlife
07-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Lets not try and pretend scott hall didnt amaze us with the very first nationally televised ladder match. It was a spectacle like meeting barack obama or george bush(for the democratics or republicans respectively).

How about when syxx gave eddie guerrero a botched kick to what was supposed to be his head? That was exciting and looked so risky.

Edge and shelton both went above and beyond the cc all of duty. Doing these things just accentuates the idea that nothing will ever be good enough anymore.

When vkm was asked why go pg he responded by saying " once you hit someone over the head with a 2x4 wrapped in barbed wire while its also on fire, where do you go from there?" And he followed up by saying " you have to go back sometimes to move forward."

I am kinda happy pg happened. Macho king and hulk hogan were around the wwf when it was pg. are you going to tell me that stuff was boring? Lets get the kids back into wrestling, it might even help the competition in,that most kids dont realise that tna is a seperate entity from wwe. My brother asked me yesterday why the rock only goes on raw and not impact or smackdown. I had to sit him down and have the talk with him a few years back and suffice it to say, this convo I had was alot funner.

Regardless of what you may beleive, the wrestlers just want to entertain us and earn a living. I dont want anyone to die because I need to see some one fall 40 feet onto a clusterfuck of flaming tables. I am always entertained by a ladder match. Except for the tlc pitting hardy against punk( I was afraid hardy was going to kill himself out,there)

Your welcome and im sorry for that rant.

arsenhole
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
IMO the money in the bank ladder matches are always great, I'm jus sayin...

i agree ladder matches are great imo yes they don't do stupid shit like rvd doing a rolling thunder onto a ladder(i know he still has'nt recovered from that it looked extremely painful) but for the most part the matches are great as a matter of fact i can't really think of a bad one in recent memory

Macho Libre
07-11-2011, 05:20 PM
I am kinda happy pg happened. Macho king and hulk hogan were around the wwf when it was pg. are you going to tell me that stuff was boring?

what you're telling me above is something that does not exist in today's world of wrestling so why u making that damn comparison?

CMRyder
07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
They don't. Christian vs Del Rio at Extreme Rules was a very good match.

Macho Libre
07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
They don't. Christian vs Del Rio at Extreme Rules was a very good match.

Yeah it was I'll give you that but both MITB matches @ WM 25 & 26 bored me to death.

CMRyder
07-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Yeah it was I'll give you that but both MITB matches @ WM 25 & 26 bored me to death.

I thought the WM 26 one was pretty good.

Macho Libre
07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I thought the WM 26 one was pretty good.

i took a snack break after the first 7 mins of it.

Rilla
07-11-2011, 06:52 PM
All gimmick matches in WWE are bad now. How can a falls count anywhere match end in the ring? The wrestlers don't leave the ring anymore and fight in the crowd like they used to. I think since it's sport entertainment now, the ring is seen as a stage like in Shakespeare's time. No holds barred matches don't have any weapons in WWE anymore. I'm not saying use the weapon on your opponent, but at least have it out and pretend you are going to use it. These matches are horrible now. This is why the ladder matches suck and why the fenced in matches (cage match) suck too.

Cody and Rey would like a word with you.

As well as Miz and Morrison

And the Kofi/Sheamus Table Match, I believe.

They aren't to me, if you get two people that know how to use them. Ala Morrison/Sheamus.

Also, Benjamin and Kofi should be in a ladder match together, or a MITB, can you even /imagine/ the spots, especially if you through Bourne and Morrison in as well?

Pumpkinhead
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Ladders matches are fun with the right people in it

Viper
07-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Ladders matches are fun with the right people in it

Yes they are. Mark Henry over R-Truth for MITB at WM26 was not one of the right people. And I dunno what Finlay is doing in one at his age.

VanHooliganX
07-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Last 2 good Ladder I can remember was Christian vs. Del Rio at extreme rules and John Morrison vs. Sheamus at TLC.

I think the 2 MITB matches are in good hands with the 16 wrestlers they picked. Just hoping for good endings really.

The Hit Man
07-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Last 2 good Ladder I can remember was Christian vs. Del Rio at extreme rules and John Morrison vs. Sheamus at TLC.

Weren't they the last two Ladder matches anyway?

gohan
07-12-2011, 04:55 PM
when i watched ladder matchs from now and the 200 era case the pg stuff came in and now we have watered down tlc and money in the bank and ladder matches so we have no insane highrisk moves or cool spots now or no cool moves done on the ladder no suplexs or power bombs from 50 feet in the air and no blood

SaberToothTigerz
07-12-2011, 06:22 PM
so when jeff hardy busted joey mercury's nose that wasnt great?
that wasnt in attitude era and nontheless it was the most extreme ladder match i have seen

Macho Libre
07-12-2011, 06:26 PM
when i watched ladder matchs from now and the 200 era case the pg stuff came in and now we have watered down tlc and money in the bank and ladder matches so we have no insane highrisk moves or cool spots now or no cool moves done on the ladder no suplexs or power bombs from 50 feet in the air and no blood

well said. i couldn't have said it any better myself .... oooh yeahh!

Mordecai
07-13-2011, 04:02 AM
I'd say ladder matches lack good quality matches these days with it being PG and all.