PDA

View Full Version : What the "F" is wrong with Vince Mc Anus trademarking names

TheBoogeyMan
07-04-2011, 10:35 AM
He filed a trademark for the name CM Punk. I think when he does this to his wrestlers its total bullshit. The wrestlers themselves (most of the time) come up with their ring name, and they make a name for themselves. If they sign with WWE under the name they created and made for themselves.....Vince McMahon 99% of the time has filed for the trademark on their name....hence FOREVER locking that name into the WWE recordbooks.

This IMO is complete bullshit, because it forces those guys....when and if they decide to leave the company to either alter or come up with a new name for themselves.....basically starting all over again.

If he wanted to trademark names, then I say he should only trademark the ones that his creative came up with.....not the guys that created them for themselves.

2 names that come to mind that McMahon could not trademark was Hulk Hogan, and Raven......they were smart enough to trademark their own names and did so before Mc Anus could steal away their identity and force them to reinvent themselves.

2 names that come to mind that had to reinvent themselves cause of Trademarking bullshit was Bully Ray, and Brother Dvon, the wrestlers formerly known as The Dudley Boys.

Vince McMahon really needs to stop this bullshit, and let the guys be who they are, and who they created.

Trademarking.....is another way of saying FUCK YOU.....this name is mine.

Well I say FUCK YOU Vince McMahon

Automatic
07-04-2011, 10:41 AM
LOL all this because they trademarked the name CM Punk? You don't know the conditions why Punk let them trademark his name. Punk is a smart guy, so I doubt that he is being ripped off.

Russo swerve
07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Call vince and let em know how u feel junior and who the hell is vince mc anus? And if the wrestler is dumb enough to let them trademark there name then thats there fault.

Rilla
07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
..Does it even matter? Several people STILL use their name afterwards, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Tommy Dreamer, most everyone from WWE that goes to TNA.

TheBoogeyMan
LOL all this because they trademarked the name CM Punk? You don't know the conditions why Punk let them trademark his name. Punk is a smart guy, so I doubt that he is being ripped off.

I dont care to know the condtions.......But the fact of the matter is......if Punk goes elsewhere to work, he cant take the CM Punk name with him.....a name he created NOT VINCE MCMAHON......CM Punk isnt the first one he's done this to......there are several he's done this to.

The smart ones trademark their created name, Rob Van Dam, Raven, Hulk Hogan, Chris Jericho.....SMART Wrestlers

ChrisQ1
Im guessing its much like the deal WWE has with hogan, rock and austin where they can use his name for dvds and other things wresting related but CM Punk can also you that name in NJPW, ROH, TNA or wherever his next carrer move is going to be. Punk is clearly not stupid enough to sign away his persona when he clearly doesnt want to be in the WWE at the moment.

TheBoogeyMan
07-04-2011, 10:57 AM
..Does it even matter? Several people STILL use their name afterwards, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, Tommy Dreamer, most everyone from WWE that goes to TNA.

Matt Hardy, and Jeff Hardy, are REAL NAMES......not fake ones......you cannot trademark a persons birth given name.

Automatic
07-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I dont care to know the condtions.......But the fact of the matter is......if Punk goes elsewhere to work, he cant take the CM Punk name with him.....a name he created NOT VINCE MCMAHON......CM Punk isnt the first one he's done this to......there are several he's done this to.

The smart ones trademark their created name, Rob Van Dam, Raven, Hulk Hogan, Chris Jericho.....SMART Wrestlers

You're contradicting yourself her buddy. You don't know why Punk allowed them to trademark his name. You don't know if Punk can still use his name outside of WWE, so stop being stupid.

LMPunker
07-04-2011, 11:16 AM
i read it was for merchandising useso to me that indicates they may want to release some cm punk gear while he is having his break i see this a postive step unless he wrestles as dn goth then im not to worried about it punks not an idiot

Kiss My Ass Club Member
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Nothing wrong with trademarking. Its the smart thing to do. Punk was given the chance to come in and work for the biggest company in the world and he is now one of the biggest superstars ever. He is comfortable and secure enough with himself and the WWE it seems since they have turned his contract deal into a storyline. So obviously he will be back and is a lifer. Punk is bigger now than he ever has been so WWE was smart enough to trademark the name (with punks' blessings possibly, we dont know) before any other indy company out there comes out with their own version punk and tries to rip them off.

helmsley
07-04-2011, 11:19 AM
it probably a deal of some kind, sometimes its better for the wrestler and most of the time part of the agreeiment is that the wrestler can still use the name, so not a big deal, if it were , many other wrestlers would have complained a lot and that is not the case

TheBoogeyMan
07-04-2011, 11:23 AM
You're contradicting yourself her buddy. You don't know why Punk allowed them to trademark his name. You don't know if Punk can still use his name outside of WWE, so stop being stupid.

The wrestlers DO NOT allow Vince to tradmark their names, he does it himself.....that is his own business decision in doing such a thing, either way, it screws the wrestler out of the name they created and made their name for themselves.

Vince McMahon wants to own it all.....botttom line....and that includes the names and likenesses of the individual.

I could really give 2 shits about the "Punk let him do its"

The fact is......when and if Punk goes elsewhere to work, he's gonna have to create another personna for himself.

After the bullshit 90 no compete clause in each performers contract expires.

If I am wrong, about CM Punk not being allowed to use him name elsewhere, then I will admit I am wrong, but until I see it happen......I am right.

Tommy Thunder
07-04-2011, 11:23 AM
it's simple really. Vince trademarks these names so that he can make money off them, just like any other business man would. You have to be ruthless to be successful in business.

And like someone else said, WWE has Tommy Dreamer trademarked, and he still uses that name. And last time I checked, that wasn't his real name.

Russo swerve
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
The wrestlers DO NOT allow Vince to tradmark their names, he does it himself.....that is his own business decision in doing such a thing, either way, it screws the wrestler out of the name they created and made their name for themselves.

Vince McMahon wants to own it all.....botttom line....and that includes the names and likenesses of the individual.

The fact is......when and if Punk goes elsewhere to work, he's gonna have to create another personna for himself.

If I am wrong, about CM Punk not being allowed to use him name elsewhere, then I will admit I am wrong, but until I see it happen......I am right.
Wow this whole name thing has u heated lol wat a joke

Goldust22
07-04-2011, 11:34 AM
BREAKING NEWS

Vince Mc Anus is now trademarked by WWE

Nice going THEBOOGEYMAN

Automatic
07-04-2011, 11:35 AM

If Vince decides to trademark the name regardless of the wrestlers approval, why did it take so long? Punk has been in the company for over 5 years.

Again, you don't know if Punk has to create a new name and persona, likely not. The only thing that could happen is that he would lose his name, which I higly doubt, and it would turn out just like Ken Anderson and he kept his gimmick.

The 90 day clause is only for TNA and possibly CMLL, AAA and ROH when they have a deal. You can still wrestle, just not on TV if I'm correct. Which is actually a very smart thing to do, businesswise.

el gabo
07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
$$$$$ It's that simple.

It's a business move that's all.

As IPITS would say

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/447-oh-u-mad.jpg

Tommy Thunder
07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Exactly. Just because WWE have the name trademarked, doesn't mean they can't use that name outside WWE. There may be a clause which was negotiated. Tommy Dreamer and MVP still use those names outside WWE despite them being trademarked by WWE. I'm sure CM Punk will have a similar clause in this deal.

Tommy Thunder
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
$$$$$ It's that simple.

It's a business move that's all.

As IPITS would say

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/447-oh-u-mad.jpg

And yes, when it comes to VKM, it's always about the $$$

el gabo
07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
And yes, when it comes to VKM, it's always about the $$$

As owner and CEO of the company, it should be. I really can't believe how hard that is for some people to understand. It's not about the nicest, just look at Dixie. What has her nice, bubbly personality gotten her?

StevenT8481
07-04-2011, 11:47 AM
vince mc anus.
hahahahaha.
that made me LOL and LMAO.

radturtle
07-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't think this is a big deal at all. So what if he leaves to join another company? Although very unlikely, in the event that he couldn't use the name "CM Punk", do you think he'd have any trouble getting over anywhere else using any other name? The man's a legend now.

Just to clarify, I don't personally believe Punk is going anywhere or that he wouldn't be able to use his wrestling name outside of the WWE. This is solely for arguments sake.

efrum
07-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Punk may not be the face of the company but he is main event star and so Vince is just protecting his assets.
I fail to see the problem with this.
And as people have already mentioned... There's nothing to say WWE would stop him from using the name anywhere else.

KJ PUNK
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Actually CM Punk HAS to give his blessing for the WWE to trademark CM Punk. Otherwise he could sue and said that he had used it before he entered WWE. So Punk probably allowed them to do this while he takes a break for some shirts, action figures, and hopefully a DVD.

HeelTurn
07-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Other than the Dudley Boyz, who lost the right to use their names even though they were created before WWE?

KJ PUNK
07-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Other than the Dudley Boyz, who lost the right to use their names even though they were created before WWE?

But see since the WWE bought the intellectual rights of ECW, they own all the ECW trademarks. And since the Dudley's used them in ECW, the WWE gets credited with "creating" it.

Bodom
07-04-2011, 12:45 PM
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/butthurt_report_form.jpg

LMPunker
07-04-2011, 12:47 PM

justin credible,rhino had to drop the y,danny basham had to be the damaja,test had to make it his middle name so he could use,chyna fought for 7 years to get the name,mick foley isnt allowed to use the mankind character outside wwe,ted diabse couldnt use the nickname million dollar man in wcw so he became trillionaire ted,mr anderson cant be mr kennedy oh and taz had to drop a whole z i could go on

HeelTurn
07-04-2011, 12:47 PM
But see since the WWE bought the intellectual rights of ECW, they own all the ECW trademarks. And since the Dudley's used them in ECW, the WWE gets credited with "creating" it.

RVD can use his name, as could Sandman etc

And yeah a lot of people have lost the rights to their names, but not everyone will. Im just not sure how that is.

Krysys
07-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Bodom has post of the year with this ^^^^^

Parrot_on_ROIDS
07-04-2011, 01:01 PM

hahahaha epic f*cking win

Necroyeti
07-04-2011, 01:13 PM
ITT: people who don't know how trademarking works.

TheBoogeyMan
07-04-2011, 01:15 PM
justin credible,rhino had to drop the y,danny basham had to be the damaja,test had to make it his middle name so he could use,chyna fought for 7 years to get the name,mick foley isnt allowed to use the mankind character outside wwe,ted diabse couldnt use the nickname million dollar man in wcw so he became trillionaire ted,mr anderson cant be mr kennedy oh and taz had to drop a whole z i could go on

And this is EXACTLY what I am referring to....all these guys had to re-invent themselves with new names, same character but new names. To me Bully Ray, and Brother Dvon, Will ALWAYS be the Dudley Boyz......thats what I first seen them as.....and thats what I will always know them as. Same thing with Rhyno, I knew him when he was Rhino....but when he made his debut in WWE I seen Rhyno and I said WTF happened to the I

Rilla
07-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Was Bully using Bubba Ray, and only changed it for his new gimmick?

Oh, psh, they only changed their last name to Deadly and rarely ever used it. Far as I remembered they still called themselves Brother Rey and Brother Devon

Sully
07-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Vince is a business man. Obviously if Punk wanted to leave, it wouldn't help Vince in anyway, so why should he care? He doesn't give a damn if Punk is happy somewhere else, he wants someone who makes money. He's going to do everything in his power to keep that money maker, and trademarking the name was just one of the tricks up his sleeve.

KJ PUNK
07-04-2011, 02:49 PM
RVD can use his name, as could Sandman etc

And yeah a lot of people have lost the rights to their names, but not everyone will. Im just not sure how that is.

Yeah because RVD personally trademarked his name. That's what all the smart ones do. They trademark it themselves.

AOF666
07-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Don't know why you are getting outraged over this. His name trademark for merchendise only.

jordan1995
07-04-2011, 04:23 PM
it's simple really. Vince trademarks these names so that he can make money off them, just like any other business man would. You have to be ruthless to be successful in business.

And like someone else said, WWE has Tommy Dreamer trademarked, and he still uses that name. And last time I checked, that wasn't his real name.

exactly my friend...i think punk will use that name else were

arsenhole
07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
He filed a trademark for the name CM Punk. I think when he does this to his wrestlers its total bullshit. The wrestlers themselves (most of the time) come up with their ring name, and they make a name for themselves. If they sign with WWE under the name they created and made for themselves.....Vince McMahon 99% of the time has filed for the trademark on their name....hence FOREVER locking that name into the WWE recordbooks.

This IMO is complete bullshit, because it forces those guys....when and if they decide to leave the company to either alter or come up with a new name for themselves.....basically starting all over again.

If he wanted to trademark names, then I say he should only trademark the ones that his creative came up with.....not the guys that created them for themselves.

2 names that come to mind that McMahon could not trademark was Hulk Hogan, and Raven......they were smart enough to trademark their own names and did so before Mc Anus could steal away their identity and force them to reinvent themselves.

2 names that come to mind that had to reinvent themselves cause of Trademarking bullshit was Bully Ray, and Brother Dvon, the wrestlers formerly known as The Dudley Boys.

Vince McMahon really needs to stop this bullshit, and let the guys be who they are, and who they created.

Trademarking.....is another way of saying FUCK YOU.....this name is mine.

Well I say FUCK YOU Vince McMahon

all this venom and you don't even know the facts about vince trademarking punks name and 2 why should vince care to help or be nice to these guys after they leave wwe it's either let them keep their names and let them make money off of a name that gained noteriety in his company or copyright the names and he himself can make money off of the names and not you or anybody else has a right to be mad at him for choosing the latter cause you would do the same thing

clh2285
07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
You understand your bitching is just clogging up the internet even further right?
Fin

blanepakulski
07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Philip Brooks aka CM Punk gave his consent to the WWE to Trademark the name CM Punk.. This was done back in 2009 not recently...

Word Mark CM PUNK
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, wrestling exhibitions and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network. FIRST USE: 20060624. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20060624
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Trademark Search Facility Classification Code LETS-2 CM Two letters or combinations of multiples of two letters
Serial Number 77142597
Filing Date March 28, 2007
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 9, 2008
Registration Number 3667156
Registration Date August 11, 2009
Owner (REGISTRANT) World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 1241 East Main Street Stamford CONNECTICUT 06902
Attorney of Record Lauren A. Dienes-Middlen
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Other Data The name "CM Punk" identifies Phillip Jack Brooks, a living individual whose consent is of record.
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

monctonvike
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
LMAO @ vince mc anus- I picture sponge bob music with mc anus in a pirate suit lol

Viper
07-04-2011, 11:40 PM
vince mcmahon sr. came up with the name hulk hogan.

big bossman wasn't allowed to use that name outside wwe, he was known as big bubba rogers in wcw.

Kerrastone
07-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Bodom the Officer of Butthurteneded people.

monctonvike
07-05-2011, 08:21 AM
vince mcmahon sr. came up with the name hulk hogan.

big bossman wasn't allowed to use that name outside wwe, he was known as big bubba rogers in wcw.

the ripping of the the shirt and all that started in awa as far as the name he might have wiki says "Beginning his career wrestling for various promotions in the National Wrestling Alliance and Japan, Bollea first gained mainstream popularity when he adopted the name of Hulk Hogan and worked for promoter Verne Gagne's American Wrestling Association (AWA) in the early " but with that being said wiki could be wrong, as wiki doesn't mention the the fact that hogan got fired by vince sr for being in a movie (rocky 3)

Side note there was an old story they used Hogan as they wanted someone to represent the irish as they had italians,mexicans african americans ect ect but no irish guy they originally wanted hogan to dye his hair red. I am so glad they waited for sheamus it worked out much better

Automatic
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
the ripping of the she shirt and all that started in awa as far as the name he might have wiki says "Beginning his career wrestling for various promotions in the National Wrestling Alliance and Japan, Bollea first gained mainstream popularity when he adopted the name of Hulk Hogan and worked for promoter Verne Gagne's American Wrestling Association (AWA) in the early " but with that being said wiki could be wrong, as wiki doesn't mention the the fact that hogan got fired by vince sr for being in a movie (rocky 3)

Side note there was an old story they used Hogan as they wanted someone to represent the irish as they has italians,mexicans african americans ect ect but no irish guy they originally wanted hogan to dye his hair red. I am so glad they waited for sheamus it worked out much better

Lol, they waited 30 years.

Rassling_Fan
07-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Rhyno added the Y in WWE only. Same as Taz with the extra Z. That is in the same vain as Bryan Danielson becoming Daniel Bryan.

Everything (besides Justin Credible) was AFTER WWE (as he was asking for people who had their character name made before going to the WWE and losing them after leaving, like the Dudley Boys).

maar13
07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
You also realize Vince is not the only one doing this? Dixie n TNA also creates names for the new employees when they have the chance to do so.

Also, some of the names of ECW were acquired by Vince because of the conditions of ECW bankruptcy, not directly trademarked by WWE.