PDA

View Full Version : Who are your favorite indy wrestlers?

Necroyeti
06-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Ones that are on the circuit today that aren't ex-WWE. (else we'd probably all be naming Low Ki, Cabana, Shelty B and the like)

My current top five would look something like:

5. Sami Callihan - Stiff as a coffin nail, has genius facial expressions, can work any type of match consistently great, and he just keeps on improving. Definitely the current ace of CZW.
4. Adam Cole - The better wrestler of the Cole & O'Reilly team in ROH right now, and I really love his heel character in CZW. This dude will be HUGE in a few years time, he gives off a major Bryan Danielson vibe.
3. Davey Richards - I'm struggling to think of a DR match from the last year and a half that wasn't ****+. He probably deserves the #1 spot in that regard, although I feel he's sometimes a bit too stiff/reckless at times and isn't great at selling. (There's been a few matches where he's worked the dude's arm for most of the match, and then won using the sharpshooter, which works the leg)
2. Chris Hero - Likely the hardest working guy in the business today. He shows up fucking everywhere and always has great matches. I feel his style has "grew the beard", so to speak, ever since he started adopting the rolling elbows. And the chemistry between him and Castagnoli in KOW... fantastic.
1. Kevin Steen - Absolutely phenomenal, the complete package in every single aspect. Everything he touches turns to gold. It's actually a travesty that this guy isn't in the big leagues. And he's probably the only guy ever to gain a load of weight and be a BETTER wrestler for it... because he didn't really slow down any with his deceptive agility and high flying abilities and all that, he just became a hell of a lot more brutal.

Honorable mentions goes out to: Roderick Strong, Akira Tozawa, (he was only in the US for a year, but GOD DAMN was he epic) Kyle O'Reilly, Eddie Edwards, A.R. Fox, PAC and Jimmy Jacobs

WWTNA Mark
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Chris Hero. I've always been a fan of his and followed his career since his days in IWA Mid-South.

68wPayne
06-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Davey Richards, Claudio Castagnoli (Swedish Death FTW), El Generico, and Kyle O'Riley

Necroyeti
06-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Chris Hero. I've always been a fan of his and followed his career since his days in IWA Mid-South.

Kash pointed me towards his series of matches with CM Punk in IWA-MS ages ago on here. They were really something to behold.

I reckon he's done a lot of his finest work in PWG

HCollins-TNA1
06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Here in my region or WV
1and 2, The Maestro and Adam Pearce
http://youtu.be/iGC2NZGyzrw

3, Chance Prophet
http://youtu.be/IdoPtX3D4Ro

4, Bulldozer
http://youtu.be/34U3b6R-YOw

5, JC Dykes Jr
http://youtu.be/1aWWjS1eHBk

helmsley
06-28-2011, 08:48 PM
el generico, ultimo guerrero, L.A Park, davey richards la sombra

Necroyeti
06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the links, letting some of those load up. The only guys there I'm familiar with there are Adam Pearce (Who I've seen in ROH) and The Maestro. (Who I vaguely remember from the dying days of WCW)

I haven't seen much NWA Mountain State, but they're responsible for the single most unintentionally funny clip in the history of wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHw3GYt7fTU

HCollins-TNA1
06-28-2011, 08:52 PM
USA and elsewhere
1 MIKE DIBIASE
http://youtu.be/yfBTW8MRAxY

2 The Briscoes
http://youtu.be/2Zt-HYOGdU8

3 and 4 Davey Richards and Roderick Strong
http://youtu.be/UN6aKEbJPqc

5 The Tribe (Navajo Warrior & Hawaiian Lion)
http://youtu.be/bCQYtlq7fi8

HCollins-TNA1
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the links, letting some of those load up. The only guys there I'm familiar with there are Adam Pearce (Who I've seen in ROH) and The Maestro. (Who I vaguely remember from the dying days of WCW)

I haven't seen much NWA Mountain State, but they're responsible for the single most unintentionally funny clip in the history of wrestling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHw3GYt7fTU

You welcome, should check out when Stro was in Smokey Mountain..... some good work then...
If you want to get to know someone who has a bright future check out Chance Phrophet, a great NWA wrestler from NWA DAWG to EAST to holding the National title and more...

Thank you for the clip of the Physco superman Karl...

68wPayne
06-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Wow, I can't believe I forgot to say The Briscoes, they're my freaking avatar for Christ's sake. Love The Briscoes, best tag team in the world IMO

HCollins-TNA1
06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
You welcome, should check out when Stro was in Smokey Mountain..... some good work then...
If you want to get to know someone who has a bright future check out Chance Phrophet, a great NWA wrestler from NWA DAWG to EAST to holding the National title and more...

Thank you for the clip of the Physco superman Karl...

How can I forget the Bunkhouse Boys???
http://youtu.be/8Mk4QCp_3pg

Kashdinero
06-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Great thread Necro, but, if I may, I'll do my top five in no particular order.... Apart from number one.

1:Chris Hero. If there is a better overall wrestler on the indies, then show me him. Everything about him is awesome. He went from being a fat Superman impersonator in baggy trousers, to an athletic, scientific ring general, to THE complete independent wrestler. The fact that he has been overlooked for the RoH World title would upset me, if not for the fact that, as he's proven time and again, he's such a selfless guy. There's a reason Hero reaches the finals of a lot of tournaments on the independents, and that's because he's capable of a huge variety of different styles, and the fact that he's had probably more matches than any other Indy worker never to have a WWE contract (except maybe Quackenbush), means he could come up with a four star match on the spin. The fact he has never signed on the dotted line is upsetting. Not because I want to see him broken down and then built up in Vinnies image, but because he deserves to be a millionaire multiple times over, with a world title or five on his resume, to boot. There may be better workers at a particular style, but as Superstar? Well, I'd say he was the best gift VKMjr never received. My fingers are still crossed for him, but I quit holding my breath a few years back.

PAC: Biased towards my fellow countryman? Ain't likely; I'm a Londoner and he's a Geordie, hahaha!! Seriously though, I am a proper mark for high flying wrestlers, and have always took wild spot fest matches for what they are. But with PAC there's no need to worry about a lack of mat work, or psychology, or well, pretty much anything. The fact that he does twisting 630's and twirling shooting stars is a red rag to the bulls who like to shit on the spot monkeys, but flippy flappy moves aside, this guy can wrestle. A definite favourite.

Sami Calahan: He's like a little strong style gremlin! His look and intensity are second to none, and he hasn't let things like height, and lack of real high flying athletic ability most wrestlers his size usually employ, hold him back. But his career is still young, and if he's this good now, imagine what he'll be like in two or three years time! At the rate he's improving he'll be one of the best ever! Well, maybe not best ever, but you get what I mean. The guy is also crazy over at the moment, and it's only a matter of time before he's getting held back in TNA.

Davey Richards: Love this guy. So glad he never quit the business, a few years back, to become a fireman. The style he employs is my all time favourite, and as harsh as it may be on his own body, to see him do the Dynamite Kid/Benoit thing with a little bit of KENTA thrown in for good measure, is a sheer joy. Although he's quite painful to watch sometimes and I wish he wouldn't give as much as he does, I'm still very grateful at the same time, as he has taken his particular style of wrestling to the next level.

El Generico: The most unassuming of wrestlers makes my top five, as he is one of the only wrestlers left who can still shock me lol. Not because he's the greatest, but because some of the things he does just doesn't seem possible for this generic looking dude!!! The BrainBustaaaahhhh! is the best move out there. Or at least the most dangerous looking, anyway. His match with Kota Ibushi is one of my top ten favourite matches ever. Seriously.

^^^^ as always is my personal opinion, and are my actual favourites, and not who I think are the best.

Kevin Steen, Akira Tozawa, Alex Shane, Claudio Castagnolli and The Briscoes would have been my next five.

Kenny Omega, Eddie Edwards, Adam Cole, Dan Maff, The Backseat Boys, Irish Airbourne, Ruckus, Dark City Fight Club, Aeroform, Joker, BJ Whitmer, Ego Fantastico, Gran Akuma, Scorpio Sky, Kyle O'Riley, Jimmy Jacobs, Havana Pitbulls, Quiet Storm, Brian XL, Pogo the Clown, Boogalou, Nick Berk, Z-Barr, Ric Fn Blade, Wifebeater, Matt Stryker, Scoot Andrews, Eddie Kingston, The NecroButcher, Sick Nick Mondo, Messiah, Caprice Coleman, Jonny Storm, Onyx, Dixie, Jodie Fliesch, Xavier, Jack Sabre Jr, Teddy Hart, Jack Evans, Roderick Strong, Super Dragon, B-Boy, Zokre, Mike Modest, Donavan Morgan, Derranged, Insane Dragon, Slim J, Jimmy Rave, James Tighe, The Zebra Kid, John Walters, Mike Quackenbush, Chuck Taylor, Rich Swan, Spyder Nate Webb, Chance Becket, Delerious, Steve Corino, Rising Son, Quicksilver, T.J Perkins, Phoenix Starr and SexXxy Eddie.

^^^ Have also been among my favourites, to never have proper WWE/TNA contracts, throughout my years of watching Indy wrestling.... There's a lot more, but, I'll leave it at that lol!!

68wPayne
06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Kash, I'm laughing that you said Chuck Taylor because that is one funny bastard. I love the grenade bit, as ridiculous as it is everyone's reaction to it and the wrestlers selling it, priceless.

Kashdinero
06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Kash, I'm laughing that you said Chuck Taylor because that is one funny bastard. I love the grenade bit, as ridiculous as it is everyone's reaction to it and the wrestlers selling it, priceless.

"The Kentucky Gentleman" is one of my favourite's on the scene today. That funny fucker has provided many laughs, but he can also wrestle. But that Chikara moment is a classic. Pure Chikara Goodness. It ranks up there with Hypnotising, Slo-Mo sequence's and selling being slammed on Chocolate Sprinkles. The wrestlers of that small federation must have the motto "What happens in Chikara, stays in Chikara", as the shit that happens in that place could never work anywhere else. A place that has Dragon Dragon and Mojukin as a part of it's roster is a place where throwing pretend grenades is acceptable. Man, I love that place!

Awful Waffle FTW

pottsy
06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
my sig says it all. or colt cabana

Necroyeti
06-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Random thoughts on some of the rasslers that have been brought up:

Mike DiBiase - Seems pretty solid from that clip, given his experience level. No doubt it will only be a matter of time before he shows up in FCW. And to go on a tangent somwhat: Not to sound like a typical "BAWWW Vince holds guys down in WWE" dude, Ted DiBiase Jr. is a much better worker and more athletic than his WWE portfolio would suggest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxAIzBVoeA

The Briscoes - Holy shit yes, I feel really foolish for not mentioning these guys. Really amazing tag team. I heard they had a tryout match for WWE around 2009, and I'm really surprised they weren't signed to a developmental deal. (But at the same time not surprised, given that their... um.... "homely" appearances would likely scare small children and wimmen) Also, especially in recent times in Ring of Honor, they've been proving their worth as singles competitors too - Jay especially. He had a world title match with Strong back in January, and it's legit one of the best matches of the year so far. (Jay bled a gusher, and Roddy brutalized the shit out of him. I'm a mark for this kind of in-ring story.)

DCFC - Another tag team I really dig, even though I'm indifferent (at best) to any of their singles work as Rainman or Jon Davis.

BJ Whitmer - I've been a massive mark for Whitmer ever since watching the whole ROH-CZW feud, dude can take some fuckin' punishment. His cage match against Jimmy Jacobs is probably one of my all-time favourite ROH matches, too.

TJ Perkins - An absolute dream to watch in the ring, and another rising star to watch out for. I see that he was in this year's Best of the Super Juniors, so I'll be keeping an eye on those popping up on youtube for sure.

Necrobutcher - For some reason I'm really not a fan of this fine fellow, although I must say he's a fantastic brawler when he isn't in straight up LOLHIGHSPOT garbage-fests. (although he's likely one of the best at that too)
http://i.imgur.com/NVtGl.jpg

Zack Sabre Jr - I've only recently discovered this dude, and I really like what I've seen. I hope to see more of him in CZW and the like. (I don't really bother with wXw unless a particular match catches my eye tbh)

Teddy Hart, Jack Evans - Man, I dunno... they're fun to watch and all and they're good at what they do, but they also really annoy the shit out of me at the same time. If you ask me, sometimes it's better to give your opponent a good ol' fashioned punch to the face or something to express your hatred, instead of just moving really fast and spinning... all the time. To give 'em credit though, it looks like they've improved on this somewhat since going to AAA from the clips I've watched.

Super Dragon - Fucking A. BROFIST

Jimmy Rave - YES, I mark the fuck out for Jimmy Rave! Screw the haters!

Mike Quackenbush - I dislike him, but I can't put my finger on why. I really can't. Like, it's not as if he's totally useless in the ring or abuses his position in Chikara to make himself look awesome or anything like that. I guess in my mind, he stands out as being like, THE super ultra "vanilla midget" or something. Call it "X-pac heat", I guess.

Rich Swann - Another one of my favourite rising stars in the business. I was torn between putting either him or AR Fox in my honorable mentions, they're both two of the best high-flying types by far today. (without being overly flippy)

kickass
06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Ones that are on the circuit today that aren't ex-WWE. (else we'd probably all be naming Low Ki, Cabana, Shelty B and the like)

My current top five would look something like:

5. Sami Callihan - Stiff as a coffin nail, has genius facial expressions, can work any type of match consistently great, and he just keeps on improving. Definitely the current ace of CZW.
4. Adam Cole - The better wrestler of the Cole & O'Reilly team in ROH right now, and I really love his heel character in CZW. This dude will be HUGE in a few years time, he gives off a major Bryan Danielson vibe.
3. Davey Richards - I'm struggling to think of a DR match from the last year and a half that wasn't ****+. He probably deserves the #1 spot in that regard, although I feel he's sometimes a bit too stiff/reckless at times and isn't great at selling. (There's been a few matches where he's worked the dude's arm for most of the match, and then won using the sharpshooter, which works the leg)
2. Chris Hero - Likely the hardest working guy in the business today. He shows up fucking everywhere and always has great matches. I feel his style has "grew the beard", so to speak, ever since he started adopting the rolling elbows. And the chemistry between him and Castagnoli in KOW... fantastic.
1. Kevin Steen - Absolutely phenomenal, the complete package in every single aspect. Everything he touches turns to gold. It's actually a travesty that this guy isn't in the big leagues. And he's probably the only guy ever to gain a load of weight and be a BETTER wrestler for it... because he didn't really slow down any with his deceptive agility and high flying abilities and all that, he just became a hell of a lot more brutal.

Honorable mentions goes out to: Roderick Strong, Akira Tozawa, (he was only in the US for a year, but GOD DAMN was he epic) Kyle O'Reilly, Eddie Edwards, A.R. Fox, PAC and Jimmy Jacobs

PAC is my fave, just an awesome high flyer whos also improved his ground ability over the last year. his dragon gate and dragon gate USA stuff has been awesome, hes at loads of indy shows so he works his ass off (he moonsaulted into the crowd at an indy show where i was, it was so fuckin cool he landed right near me)

thedominator92
06-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Ole OLE OLE OLE OLE

thedominator92
06-29-2011, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbCxkEx_OkM&feature=related

jordan1995
06-30-2011, 01:22 AM
chris hero and davey richards

Kashdinero
06-30-2011, 02:20 AM
@Yetti: Thanks, Bruv!

I was just looking over my list, and Osirians Portal and AR Fox were the most notable omissions. Fox is really smooth and definitely stands out from the crowd. Although he's not the first to use it, the move where he moonsaults off of the ring post is amazing. Can you imagine the amount of risk involved in that one!

I just want to touch on what you said about The Briscoes. Man, I agree. Those two should have got that WWE contract, and I thought it was almost a lock, when I heard they had try outs. After reading they wern't offered a position with the big boys, I thought about it, and, either they looked too spotty, or they failed the piss test! The latter is more likely as I'm sure they never stepped into a WWE ring and just started hitting all their big moves in succession, and I remember a story a few years back when they were kicked off of a plane for being wasted, and as a result they missed a PWG show.... Still, Vinnies loss was the Indies gain.... Vuck Fince!!

Now, I'm just gonna tee off on a few of my favourites (you may be able to tell, from the amount of wrestlers I named as favourites, that I use the term favourite quite liberally, but what I really mean is "I like them")

The DiBiase boys are all solid workers, and it's true; Ted has been watered down. I wouldn't mind seeing all three of them in a group in The Big E, though. In-fact I'm shocked that it hasn't happened yet. I Lol@Bret and Mike being left out, and often wonder if he feels compelled to buy more extravagant gifts for his less fortunate siblings at Christmas :)

I have the six disc Choose Death: The best of the NecroButcher, and I absolutely love this guy! I know he's mostly a terrible worker, but like a lot of death match wrestlers, I dig him for having a character that's as cutting-edge as it gets. His name is beyond awesome, too. What I like about watching his matches the most are his unforgiving punches, and his spot where he sets up a pair of chairs and he and his opponent sit there trading punches is as awesome as it is stupid. Wow, does he lay it in! His shoot interview also had me thinking that under the beard and the crazy look lies a pretty damn decent guy. His two matches against Joe, and his war with Lowki remain some of my IWA-MS favourites. Although he had very few matches that I liked in RoH, and TTTT, I thought he was very out of place there.

Mike Quackenbush: Necro, I'm totally the opposite of you with this guy, and I've watched hours of Quacks matches on YouTube, V-Social, Veoh, Daily Motion and DVD. I can't get enough of him, and I think it's due to the fact that he does a hell of a lot of styles, so his matches always tend to be different, and against a Claudio or a Hero he is one of my TRUE favourites to watch. As the founder of Chikara-Pro, he has my respect, and the fact he has trained and given chances to guys who many would have laughed at, took their money and sent them on their way, is something else that has me singing his praises from the roof tops, and I guess that helps me when I see him wrestle as I imagine all his students in the back trying to peek through the curtain, to see "the master" in action. I've also watched loads of Chikara podcasts, and seeing the "real" Mike, kinda helps me to relate to wrestling biggest "nerd".

Chikara?... Prolly best left for another time lol.

Has anyone seen Chance Beckett in action? I've only seen a handful of matches involving the intense Canadian (Super 8 and a couple of RoH appearances) but I'm surprised he's still not going today, as he had it all, in terms of what the Indy crowd find appealing. One to take a look at, for sure.

The Carnage Crew. Loc and DeVito (and Masada) had some damn fine matches, and beneath their garbage wrestler look hides a great team who can/could "go" with teams younger and more athletic, as they showed in their feud/war with Special K in RoH. Their best days are far behind them, though, and barring an appearance at the Trent Acid memorial show, I haven't seen them in ages.

Man, there's so many points I want to say!

Rainman: Apart from his showing in the TPI 2004 tournament, he never impressed me in singles, at all. When he formed the DCFC, it was a very smart move. I've always liked his finishing move, though. That Cobra Clutch/Camel Clutch thing he does looks WAY painful.

Ahhh, Teddy and Jacky-Boy: I've seen a hell of a lot of matches from these two, and I'm never not impressed by the innovation they come up with. Especially Teddy. As I said, I take these sort of wrestlers for what they are, and Teddy is one of the best spot-primates around. His move set HAS to be one of the most innovative I've seen. That move he does when he goes to back suplex someone and then turns it into a powerbomb is amazing (Hart Attack/Open Hart Surgery/Hart Rate/????). Let down by his supposed attitude problems, and his complete disregard for the basics, he SHOULD have been way more than what he is.

BJ Whitmer vs Homicide @ Main Event Spectacles remains one of my favourite from either men. Coincidentally, Main Even Spectacles is the same event where Teddy Hart ruined his reputation forever, when he... Well, I'm sure you all know that story.

I forgot Cheech and Cloudy!!! I am an uber mark for these two! Straight up, these two shocked me more than any other pairing have in my time of watching Indy wrestling. I first saw the two unassuming (Cloudy moreso than Cheech) wrestlers as members of Special K, and they were awful! Cloudys biggest and best moment in RoH was when he got thrown the full length of the ring by a super green Hernandez (who is still super green six years later), but the first time I saw these two tag (in a Chikara match more than likely), they just seemed to bring out the best in each other. At the time I was also marking for another team by the name of Dunn and Marcos, who had the ultimate underdog gimmick, due to their "geeky fan"-like appearance, and C & C were exactly the same as those two, only better. Granted Cheech is just a wannabee KENTA, and Cloudy is so unassuming that it's hard to suspend your disbelief with him sometimes, but as a team they always tear the hoose doon. They're currently doing great in EVOLE, and should they ever return to RoH, I think they could do quite well for themselves.

All Night Express anyone? (Anyone: 'YES PLEASE!!!')... Kenny King is one that Vinnie let slip away, and GODAMNIT! am I glad he did. Who would have though he would turn out so good? Same goes for Rhett Titus. Although I hated him when he debuted for RoH (I know, he was green, but he had no place in an RoH ring IMO.... Although saying that, RoH has booked some proper pieces of shite in their time, so I don't know why I'm getting all holy about them lol), I liked the fact that he had a decent gimmick, and his performances during the Delerious-Daizee-Titus love triangle finally won me over. His ring work since he formed his partnership with King has improved beyond all hope. I could see these two bagging a ticket to VinnieLand in their near future, in-fact, I'd say they were locks.

Sorry, I'll let someone else speak now ;)