PDA

View Full Version : Is Batista worth a retirement match?

jaymo
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
So Dave Batista would like one last run and retirement match anyone think he's worth that much to bring back for this?

LMPunker
06-23-2011, 05:58 PM
i see his i quit match with cena a retirement match because he was known as near invincable killing machine and then he was made to say i quit so i dont think its justified him coming back just to retire all over again

jaymo
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
True well he was saying in a interview if the situration basically was right he would.truthfully, i never liked him an this is my first post so i figured what the hell lets start here.

Rich Cranium
06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
It would certainly contradict this:

Batista said he left WWE last year because he no longer fit with their product. He dislikes WWE's kid-friendly direction, saying there is nothing kid-friendly about Dave Batista. Batista said WWE's direction leaves a bad taste in his mouth as it's too unbelievable and hokey. He feels he became disconnected from the industry and became unhappy with it. Though he still believes in WWE as a company, he doesn't think there is a place for him anymore

K-Jammin
06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Batista was never really controversial or anything so don't understand why he thinks he won't fit in with the PG rating.

jaymo
06-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Regarding his future in the wrestling industry, he said that he'd like to finish his career on his terms and return to WWE for a brief run and retirement match. He is also interested in working with the organization in a non-wrestling capacity.Theres also this portion you left out from thr interview.

blink
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Never cared for Batista bit if he had a retirement match I'd want it to be against hhh. Hunter always made Batista look good!

Viper
06-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Batista was never really controversial or anything so don't understand why he thinks he won't fit in with the PG rating.

His in-ring ability was controversial. the guy was so limited like Cena and were both pushed all the way to the moon and shoved down out throats when he didn't need to be. when u look at batista, what part of PG do u see in him????

AOF666
06-23-2011, 07:06 PM
It's to rememberal, he quits on tv and that how he left his legacy. So I say no!

K-Jammin
06-23-2011, 07:09 PM
His in-ring ability was controversial. the guy was so limited like Cena and were both pushed all the way to the moon and shoved down out throats when he didn't need to be. when u look at batista, what part of PG do u see in him????

I don't, and i didn't say i did. Just didn't understand what he meant.

Rain Man
06-23-2011, 07:15 PM
It would certainly contradict this:

Batista said he left WWE last year because he no longer fit with their product. He dislikes WWE's kid-friendly direction, saying there is nothing kid-friendly about Dave Batista. Batista said WWE's direction leaves a bad taste in his mouth as it's too unbelievable and hokey. He feels he became disconnected from the industry and became unhappy with it. Though he still believes in WWE as a company, he doesn't think there is a place for him anymore

If you quote the article, quote the WHOLE thing :D "Regarding his future in the wrestling industry, he said that he'd like to finish his career on his terms and return to WWE for a brief run and retirement match. He is also interested in working with the organization in a non-wrestling capacity." - Of course he deserves one, Viper is just hating XD He was great in Evolution, and even on his own, he was just a great entertainer and has a lot of fans, whether he could wrestle or not - doesn't really matter, i hate when people say ish like that.

maar13
06-23-2011, 07:28 PM

His in ring ability was OK for the character he portrayed, which was a Monster, kind of someone like Goldberg. I am not a very big fan of his, just a fan, but his character worked, just like Goldberg did, just like Warrior did during their primes.

Seriously not every wrestler needs to be Edge or Randy Orton or Daniel Bryan. The thing about Batista is that he was all about the adrenaline rush, raw power and take no enemies.

He was pushed to the moon yes, but not shoved down peoples throats as you claim he was, he was put in the Lesser brand and was put with people who could actually made him look good.

As a face, he might never had quite the Rock or Austin reaction but the guy was definitely not booed, the only time he was booed was not even when he was going against Cena, the only time he got really booed was when he faced The Undertaker.

About the PG part, well he doesn't fit in because he is "The Animal" He destroys people, the character was created to destroy everything at sight and apparently, that doesn't fit in nowadays, which pretty much makes no sense to me since he could adapt or something.

For me while he thinks he doesn't fit in, is more the inability to look for an adaptation of all that rage the character portraits. It was the perfect Counter to Cena, like a Bizarro.

Cena was the powerful face who is laid back and has that Hustle and...yadda, yadda, yadda and Batista was about pure rage and no inhibitions, he even got people getting behind him during his feud with Cena because the character seemed refreshed, but he was on his way out.

Now about the retirement match, well I think he got his in his final match, if the WWE want him to comeback fine but there is no need for that, his last promo and last match where pretty much the exit the character needed.

Bodom
06-23-2011, 07:35 PM
no!

The only acceptable answer.

blink
06-23-2011, 07:39 PM
If you quote the article, quote the WHOLE thing :D "Regarding his future in the wrestling industry, he said that he'd like to finish his career on his terms and return to WWE for a brief run and retirement match. He is also interested in working with the organization in a non-wrestling capacity." - Of course he deserves one, Viper is just hating XD He was great in Evolution, and even on his own, he was just a great entertainer and has a lot of fans, whether he could wrestle or not - doesn't really matter, i hate when people say ish like that.

"whether he can wrestle or not - doesn't really matter". Smh! Of course it matters! It's a wrestling show! Granted there's the other aspects of it but everything comes down to and gets settled in the ring by WRESTLING.

@maar13: in his last run against cena he did get some support but not because no one hates him but because most guys over 20 hate cena. There's a bit of a difference there bud

With all that said I stand by my initial statement. Even though I'm not a fan, id like to see and think he deserves one more run and anretirement match. But he has to be in a program with someone who can carry him. Like hhh. Remember all the feuds that he looked awful in cuz his opponent couldn't make Him look good? Like JBL!

maar13
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM
The only acceptable answer.

And why "NO!" is actually acceptable? just because?

thatdevilsblue
06-23-2011, 07:58 PM
i don't think he's worth the hype for a comeback and retirement match...i thought that "I Quit" match last year against John Cena was his "retirement" match?

Viper
06-23-2011, 08:07 PM
His in ring ability was OK for the character he portrayed, which was a Monster, kind of someone like Goldberg. I am not a very big fan of his, just a fan, but his character worked, just like Goldberg did, just like Warrior did during their primes.

He was pushed to the moon yes, but not shoved down peoples throats as you claim he was, he was put in the Lesser brand and was put with people who could actually made him look good. As a face, he might never had quite the Rock or Austin reaction but the guy was definitely not booed, the only time he was booed was not even when he was going against Cena, the only time he got really booed was when he faced The Undertaker.

Goldberg's character was so watered down in WWE that they had to go and humanise him to the point of creating the angle where he suffered a "broken leg". The guy was larger than life in WCW, a monster who could run through anybody, who was tough as nails etc. Goldberg was poorly booked in WWE. To say Batista wasn't forced down our throats is an understatement, he was the number 2 guy in the company when he was in the world title picture (2005-2007) and constantly receiving so many title shots when he didn't earn it. Batista's in-ring ability was quickly noticed after he broke away from Evolution and he was booed from time to time ... He was booed in his match on ECW on Sci-Fi against Big Show, he was booed at WrestleMania 24 (while his opponent Umaga who was heel got the cheers). Batista is overrated and didn't need to be forced down our throats when it was bad enough that Cena was doing that to us.

Viper is just hating XD He was great in Evolution, and even on his own, he was just a great entertainer and has a lot of fans, whether he could wrestle or not - doesn't really matter, i hate when people say ish like that.

Batista was somewhat underrated in Evolution and he was lucky to be in a group with such talented individuals. But he is a NOT a great wrestler though. His in-ring skills are very limited and like John Cena himself, once they quickly rose to the top they continued to rely on superstars better than them to help get them thru a match (whether it was good, great or decent). But to an extent, I preffered to watch Batista over John Cena. The only time I ever enjoyed Batista was when he was a heel in Evolution, but back then he didn't get a lot of screen time like Flair, Orton & Triple H did.

Rain Man
06-23-2011, 08:20 PM
I see what you, Viper and maar13 are sayin, but what i mean is, he was a star during his time, whether he could wrestle or not, he was one of the front-runners of the company and he was entertaining, even if limited. So why not? I'm not even his fan, don't get me wrong :D It's just that i don't want him to go out like that

Rick BoA
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
I always liked Batista. I would like to see him have another short run.

thisiswrestling
06-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes. The way he left was, and should not be, a way to go for a wrestler of any kind. Unless you're JBL. He needs to go out with a real bang.

Iamyounightmare
06-23-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't think he deserve one!!

TNA 'The very best'
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
New found for little dave for saying he was unhappy with the direction that the company was or is going,

WWTNA Mark
06-23-2011, 10:10 PM
I see what you, Viper and maar13 are sayin, but what i mean is, he was a star during his time, whether he could wrestle or not, he was one of the front-runners of the company and he was entertaining, even if limited. So why not? I'm not even his fan, don't get me wrong :D It's just that i don't want him to go out like that

^^^THIS^^^

He may be hated by the IWC but there is on denying that Dave was super-over with the kids and really carried Smackdown during his time there.

maar13
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Goldberg's character was so watered down in WWE that they had to go and humanise him to the point of creating the angle where he suffered a "broken leg". The guy was larger than life in WCW, a monster who could run through anybody, who was tough as nails etc. Goldberg was poorly booked in WWE. To say Batista wasn't forced down our throats is an understatement, he was the number 2 guy in the company when he was in the world title picture (2005-2007) and constantly receiving so many title shots when he didn't earn it. Batista's in-ring ability was quickly noticed after he broke away from Evolution and he was booed from time to time ... He was booed in his match on ECW on Sci-Fi against Big Show, he was booed at WrestleMania 24 (while his opponent Umaga who was heel got the cheers). Batista is overrated and didn't need to be forced down our throats when it was bad enough that Cena was doing that to us.

Batista was somewhat underrated in Evolution and he was lucky to be in a group with such talented individuals. But he is a NOT a great wrestler though. His in-ring skills are very limited and like John Cena himself, once they quickly rose to the top they continued to rely on superstars better than them to help get them thru a match (whether it was good, great or decent). But to an extent, I preffered to watch Batista over John Cena. The only time I ever enjoyed Batista was when he was a heel in Evolution, but back then he didn't get a lot of screen time like Flair, Orton & Triple H did.

Nope, He was not, He was even chosen before Randy for Wrestlemania 21 because he was insanely over with the crowd, you could see WWE wanted randy VS HHH at Mania, and you know it, but Batista was so over, that Batista got the nod and was even over Cena. And remained so over for the entire year until he had to give back the title because of an injury. Then when he came back yes, he got a nice couple of title shots and Booker was such a hated champion (Dude was good at his job) that Batista remained pretty over even though his ability has diminished, that was not that great to begin with but Batista, like Goldberg, watered down or not, was something that worked.

And no, you know that during his first reign he was not booed at all, maybe one time and not completely, like 50-50 at Eddie Guerrero's hometown, but that night it was Eddie and it was his Hometown.

The Sci-fi thing was with pretty much every person that was there from the WWE, of course he was booed with the Big Show because this was just a little after RVD lost the title to the Big Show, so "ECW" was being main evented by WWE guys (yes, it seems people didn't get it was not the real ECW but they played along) and after that match everyone started to cheer for him again until Wrestlemania 23.

At Wrestlemania 24 he was not booed for real, maybe a little stint but he was cheered most of the time during that match.

Yes, Batista was very lucky to be in such a great group, but for being the one with the less skills, he has incredible power to involve people and he also should thank Chris Benoit who put him over not once, but 3 times, and being just a former champion, it made wonders for Batista.

Taker put him over once clean too and made him look like an equal, so yes a lot of people helped him but the fact that most of the time he was over with the crowd and not really forced to anything, people paid good money to see Batista while he was champion and a little after that and for the moves he performed, most of them power moves and high impact power moves, he did it right.

jordan1995
06-24-2011, 01:44 AM

i would love to see batista have one last run but i find it sad that he has lost his love for the business due to the pg rating..but he would be over with the kids as they would most likely fear him ..he was of my favourites..not pure wrestling ability but his entertanment :)

Viper
06-24-2011, 02:02 AM
@Maar13: Bloody hell, why are you responses so long? You may as well write a blog man.

Batista's sudden push to the top came out of nowhere and you know it. Once he won the belt from Triple H and moved to Smackdown, it was obvious he wasn't ready to go solo yet because even back then he still heavily relied on other talents to help carry him through a match. And his limited in-ring ability was quickly exposed after the lengthy first reign. It was between 2006-2007 that he started becoming overrated due to constantly being in the title picture & winning with very little effort. Any guy can become over with the crowd if they received the same big push Batista got ... Honestly, I would have preferred to have seen Batista chase for the title rather than see him win so many due to being limited in the ring and not having any in-ring psychology for most of his matches. If there's anything good about him, it's mainly because he's big. And btw, he was booed constantly by the crowd @ WrestleMania 24. He barely received any cheers (until he scored the pin). Go and watch it again & you know I'm telling the truth.

Snair
06-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Batista was quite good during his Evolution days but got stale towards the later part of his tenure on Smackdown due to same old storylines but then again he raised his mic skills during his last feud with Cena which was quite good including their mania match.So I wouldn't mind seeing him having another run in WWE.

sincara
06-24-2011, 09:38 AM
once wwe comes tv15 again welcome back batista not for a retire ment match but as a superstar

maar13
06-24-2011, 10:51 AM
@Maar13: Bloody hell, why are you responses so long? You may as well write a blog man.

Batista's sudden push to the top came out of nowhere and you know it. Once he won the belt from Triple H and moved to Smackdown, it was obvious he wasn't ready to go solo yet because even back then he still heavily relied on other talents to help carry him through a match. And his limited in-ring ability was quickly exposed after the lengthy first reign. It was between 2006-2007 that he started becoming overrated due to constantly being in the title picture & winning with very little effort. Any guy can become over with the crowd if they received the same big push Batista got ... Honestly, I would have preferred to have seen Batista chase for the title rather than see him win so many due to being limited in the ring and not having any in-ring psychology for most of his matches. If there's anything good about him, it's mainly because he's big. And btw, he was booed constantly by the crowd @ WrestleMania 24. He barely received any cheers (until he scored the pin). Go and watch it again & you know I'm telling the truth.

My responses are so long to back up what I say. Don't need to blog about them.

Yes, Batista push came out of nowhere, you are right, but you know why it came out of nowhere? Because he was over with the fucking crowd after the face push of Randy Orton flopped and you know that is the truth, even Orton admits him himself. Why birng that up? because that failure helped Randy become the wrestler he is today.

He never had a great technique but he was good for the moves he performed. During his first reign it was obvious he needed help during matches but that he could hold his part of the matches, like I said, He was something that worked, that was all that was needed and that made him become a big star.

2006-2007 was after his injury and he was there just half of 2006, and everyone anyway wanted him to go over Booker T, also when Cena was getting louder boos, when he teamed with Batista the team was cheered and on that stint he barely worked with The most skilled people, (Anderson, Khali), The only to guys that were good from that bunch were Taker and Edge.

And no, not everyone can get over with the crowd with that kind of push, that assumption is just lame, is like saying anyone could have had Randy's push and made it work and that is not true. I give you that a good part of him is being big, but also the way he portrayed himself. Is like Mason Ryan, he is too damn slow, he looks like Batista but is too slow and have to thing about every move when for Batista it was just natural. Is like comparing Goldberg (natural aggression) with Rob Terry (Think 1 minute every move). Orton is big, is as tall as Batista, but he trying to go the rout Batista was (Power wrestler) would be ridiculous, he is too skinny for that, Orton does what fits him now.

And as I watch that match at Mania 24, he was not booed that much for real, damn he was not booed that much until he turned heel even then he got plenty of cheers.

Look, I am not saying Batista was the best ever, far from it, but the man was something that work and made the crowd care, like I said, not everyone needs to be Randy Orton or Edge or Eddie Guerrero or Randy Savage to get the crowd going and be liked by people, not everyone is as judgmental as you are about what a wrestlers should be, at some point you need to realize that.

And yes, the response is too damn long too!

StevenT8481
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
I was really hoping he would come back for good....
Another disappointment.
I guess no more...."kissing babies and hugging fat girls"

maar13
06-24-2011, 05:37 PM
That line was great! If the camera would have been pointing at Cena he was probably at least smiling to that line.