PDA

View Full Version : "Enhancement" talents.

AndyWonder
09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Do you like the idea of "enhancement" talents, who are non-WWE wrestlers taken from FCW or somewhere else to show up in a match just so the WWE superstar being "pushed" can quickly show off without much effort? One match I watched in August I believe was Big Show vs. 3 different "enhancers" in a 3-on-1 match. After that, the last match I recall (but did not watch) using an "enhancer" was whatever the guy's name was against Alberto Del Rio during Rio's 2nd week on SMACKDOWN. Can WWE do without matches involving the "enhancement" talents?

At times I don't think those "enhancers" are necessary. I figured there are enough on the main roster that are lower card to do that for them. Maybe those lower card guys aren't willing to be "enhancers." I could have already figured that out.

djsoulslayer
09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh u mean jobbers. I think it really degrades the "enhancers" and really just kills any dream they had of being a serious competitor in that promotion.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. I'll make this short and sweet. I believe the enhancement talents are just happy to get a pay check and its probably one of the biggest of their career. Not to many people can claim that they showcased their talent under the biggest and brightest lights in their profession even though they got their $@#% kicked under those lights. I'm sure between the choice of parking cars/working at subway or getting beat up for 3-5 in the ring for the same price i think most of us would take the beating gladly. U MAD???

Ruggy
09-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Oh u mean jobbers. I think it really degrades the "enhancers" and really just kills any dream they had of being a serious competitor in that promotion.

Yeah, basically jobbers get tossed around for 2 mins before being pinned. There are too many talents on the roster for anyone to be a jobber anymore.

Daniel Bryan
09-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Well im sure they would use someone in the WWE if they werent pushing the idea right now that everyone in the WWE is a "superstar" thats partially why they bring people from outside the company for those squash matches IMO.

IrkenInvader
09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Jobbers from FCW? Why not just keep using Evan Bourne, Santino, and Ryder.

the_legend
09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
The enhancement talents serve a purpose, and there have been many guys throughout the years that have been more than happy to work five minutes a night, get tossed around, dumped on their head, and pinned on national TV.

Old guys like me remember that most wrestling programming in the 80's was nothing but top guys stomping the snot outta jobbers week in and week out. Mulkeymania was running wild every Saturday night on TBS, and the era of the jobber was in full swing. As long as we don't get back there, I will be happy.

Murphdogg4
09-27-2010, 08:02 PM
The enhancement talents serve a purpose, and there have been many guys throughout the years that have been more than happy to work five minutes a night, get tossed around, dumped on their head, and pinned on national TV.

Old guys like me remember that most wrestling programming in the 80's was nothing but top guys stomping the snot outta jobbers week in and week out. Mulkeymania was running wild every Saturday night on TBS, and the era of the jobber was in full swing. As long as we don't get back there, I will be happy.

I actually miss the jobbers. A really good enhancement guy would actually put on a competitive match before being pinned. I think they need to bring them back on a limmited basis to get the mid card and undercard guys over because they are pretty much being used as jobbers themselves right now. I agree with you though we don't want to get back to all squash matches like we had in the 80's but a happy medium/

NecroButcher187
09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Jobbers, or "enhancers" for this post's purposes, are not a necessary part of wrestling, but they are a part of the history and culture of wrestling. I agree with the notion that with all the wrestlers on the roster a low-level wrestler would suffice with pushing an up-and-comer. I also, however, come from an era where wrestlers like The Brooklyn Brawler, Lanny Poffo, and 'Iron' Mike Sharp almost made jobbing into an artform. They were entertaining to watch, mostly because you knew a severe thrashing was just moments away. So I guess my official stance is that I would like to see it eliminated for competition purposes, but if it remains its cool with me.

BaileyRose
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Jobbers from FCW? Why not just keep using Evan Bourne, Santino, and Ryder.

Ryder might actually get a push soon. WWWYK!

merhardt03
09-27-2010, 11:43 PM
They had a place in history of importance but I would not want it to be a regualar component ever again. Its predictable and boring. THE TRUTH WILL BE TOLD

Riel
09-28-2010, 12:15 AM

Oh yeah? What about Barry Harowitz? JK, but i also remember when all it we got were jobbers getting squashed by the established guys, and thought it was amazing when RAW had only name brand performers on the show. As for right now? I don't think it has a place on weekly programming, if you want to have a squash match just take the obvious route... Have midget wrestlers come out wearing the clothes of whoever your main rival is and do the whole "You can't hit me buddy, I have my hand firmly placed on your forehead." thing.

shanethewolf
09-28-2010, 05:38 AM
I was a big fan of the WWF back in the late 80s and 90s where jobbers (aka enhancement talents) played a much bigger role. It was fantastic, because they sold like crazy, took major bumps and made the stars look amazing. It allowed talented wrestlers to show off their moveset and skills without being interrupted and because they were all winning these matches and looking good, more superstars were getting over and it was easier to build great feuds.

But most importantly, feuding superstars never/rarely wrestled each other until the PPV, which really helped build the tension and anticipation. After weeks, even months of seeing two wrestlers jumping each other, trash talking and running in on each others matches, you couldn't wait to see them wrestle! These days they water down these feuds by throwing them in tag matches or 3 way matches on Raw/Smackdown, so by the time they square off in a PPV you feel like you've seen it a 100 times before. Besides, if Cena beats Orton 3 times in tag/3 way matches on Raw, for example, who really cares if Orton wins the PPV match? It's just a meaningless victory.

To be honest, watching Sid, Razor Ramon, Legion of Doom, Steiners and even the Beverly Brothers throwing jobbers across the ring was just incredible and it got those guys over like nothing you see today....ie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oi25DcfcVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUWo9oMX0k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRgtWmWgWck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQndQkXe4Jc

AndyWonder
09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
That makes sense what you said about the feuding wrestlers not actually wrestling until the pay per view. I didn't watch RAW when they used thta formula but I think thta would be a better build up plan. Just do run ins, backstage jumps and promos instead of sanctioned tag team or singles matches against one another on RAW.
I was a big fan of the WWF back in the late 80s and 90s where jobbers (aka enhancement talents) played a much bigger role. It was fantastic, because they sold like crazy, took major bumps and made the stars look amazing. It allowed talented wrestlers to show off their moveset and skills without being interrupted and because they were all winning these matches and looking good, more superstars were getting over and it was easier to build great feuds.

But most importantly, feuding superstars never/rarely wrestled each other until the PPV, which really helped build the tension and anticipation. After weeks, even months of seeing two wrestlers jumping each other, trash talking and running in on each others matches, you couldn't wait to see them wrestle! These days they water down these feuds by throwing them in tag matches or 3 way matches on Raw/Smackdown, so by the time they square off in a PPV you feel like you've seen it a 100 times before. Besides, if Cena beats Orton 3 times in tag/3 way matches on Raw, for example, who really cares if Orton wins the PPV match? It's just a meaningless victory.

To be honest, watching Sid, Razor Ramon, Legion of Doom, Steiners and even the Beverly Brothers throwing jobbers across the ring was just incredible and it got those guys over like nothing you see today....ie

Dennis
08-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I can think of a superstar who was a jobber in wwf and later became a wwe champion, Jeff Hardy.

HCollins-TNA1
08-09-2012, 01:30 PM
One of my favorite things, you got to have your far share of jobbers or guys willing to job out to put others over...
Without jobbers or enhancement Talent as said.... You end up burying guys who could be true stars..... this goes for both WWE and TNA or any wrestling company major or indy.....
Right now WWE have a few certain stars who serve the purpose as jobbers Hawkins, Reks, Trent Barreta, Evan Bourne.... I think they need to add a few legit jobbers esp for TV.....

What would happened if we didn't have the Mulky brothers, Barry Horowitz, Daune Gill, Italian Stallian, George South, the Cruel Connection, Mike Sharp, The Brooklyn Brawler, Gene Ligon, Buddy Lee Parker, SD Jones and etc..... These guys was there to make Stars look good and sale moves and holds....

HCollins-TNA1
08-09-2012, 01:49 PM

Actually that not true as it use to be.... usually they either have a mix of meeting these days.... A typical feud maybe a meeting in which one star will get Dqed, the next week they keep them apart with the exception of face to face interview with one giving his finisher, the week after the other give his finisher and lastly a tag match the week before a PPV....

Or even a mix of different meetings somehow as you also stated..... be it one in a match the other is guest commentating, mix tags, tag teams, and so on.... Sometimes this ruin a PPV build giving the same thing you can see on free TV...

Cabers
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Do you like the idea of "enhancement" talents, who are non-WWE wrestlers taken from FCW or somewhere else to show up in a match just so the WWE superstar being "pushed" can quickly show off without much effort? One match I watched in August I believe was Big Show vs. 3 different "enhancers" in a 3-on-1 match. After that, the last match I recall (but did not watch) using an "enhancer" was whatever the guy's name was against Alberto Del Rio during Rio's 2nd week on SMACKDOWN. Can WWE do without matches involving the "enhancement" talents?

At times I don't think those "enhancers" are necessary. I figured there are enough on the main roster that are lower card to do that for them. Maybe those lower card guys aren't willing to be "enhancers." I could have already figured that out.

Funny you mention that match one of those guys (long hair) has signed a development deal and another one of them (bald) is NXT diva Paige's brother.

Little bit of useless info for ya there.

HCollins-TNA1
08-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Wonder what is the pay for jobbers these days???? I know it use to be something like $500 a match.... Although now it more then likely they go to certain city and use local talent from other Indy companies then their own from FCW...