PDA

View Full Version : UFC 131: Carwin vs. Dos Santos

TheMadThinker
06-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Anybody got an opinion on Carwin vs. Dos Santos?

SilverGhost
06-10-2011, 01:17 AM
I'll be in chat when this happens! xD I don't much about these two.....but I expect a good night.

TheMadThinker
06-10-2011, 01:19 AM
I think Carwin will score an early knockout, but if it goes past a couple of rounds I think the advantage will shift to Dos Santos.

eboy
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Dos Santos, Dos Santos, Dos Santos

Automatic
06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I want to see a knock out.

eboy
06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I want to see a knock out.

by Dos Santos, Dos Santos, Dos Santos

Robstar
06-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm tipping Dos Santos, but like he said himself - don't blink. These 2 are finishers.

Also - K-Flo, because lets face it, he's a dude!

Kashdinero
06-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Carwin in the first.... Those fists are devastating. JDS had a much better chance against Brock in my opinion.

Robstar
06-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Yeah but Kash, I think Dos Santos opponents thus far have been just slightly more challenging. They both put down Gonzaga and even though Junior only decisioned Nelson, while Carwin KO'd Mir, the Mir/Nelson fight speaks volumes to me about where Mir stands in his career at this point.

But that's all bullshit semantics, ain't it? It's who gets that big shot in first that will decide it - and we both know that. If Junior or Shane fights 'smart' (=safe) they'll try tiring the other out. But I really don't think Junior is that sort of fighter - do you? And even though Carwin says he's been concentrating on cardio since losing to Brock (and maybe taking away some of his KO power?), he'll be looking to keep it standing, IMO.

Either way, there will be 2 winners tomorrow - the guy who gets his arm raised and us fans.

Hey Kash - 2 questions; who do you want to see fight Velasquez and who you got in either possible title fight?

TheMadThinker
06-11-2011, 04:08 AM
Velasquez / Carwin / Dos Santos are all pretty close in my book. Nothing would surprise me in any of their fights.

Carwin has the best ground game if it comes to that, but I think he will score an early KO on Junior. I think he will move on to Defeat Cain as well in similar style.

A Junior vs. Cain fight is just to close for me to call for me. My guess would be a TKO in later rounds by either one of them.

If Brock ever gets back into it he is going to have a hard time not getting knocked out by these guys, but at least he would have a psychological advantage against Carwin even though he got lucky in their first fight.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
06-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Carwin wins in less than a min. I'm excited for tonight's fights, KO's and blood guaranteed!!!

Moe21
06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I like both Carwin and Santos, its going to be one hell of a fight! I think Im going to go with Carwin early in the second round. I think and pray he learned from the Brock fight and not gas himself out to quickly. If he didnt then hes done.

Kashdinero
06-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah but Kash, I think Dos Santos opponents thus far have been just slightly more challenging. They both put down Gonzaga and even though Junior only decisioned Nelson, while Carwin KO'd Mir, the Mir/Nelson fight speaks volumes to me about where Mir stands in his career at this point.

But that's all bullshit semantics, ain't it? It's who gets that big shot in first that will decide it - and we both know that. If Junior or Shane fights 'smart' (=safe) they'll try tiring the other out. But I really don't think Junior is that sort of fighter - do you? And even though Carwin says he's been concentrating on cardio since losing to Brock (and maybe taking away some of his KO power?), he'll be looking to keep it standing, IMO.

Either way, there will be 2 winners tomorrow - the guy who gets his arm raised and us fans.

Hey Kash - 2 questions; who do you want to see fight Velasquez and who you got in either possible title fight?

Great points, Rob, especially about their previous opponents, and to tell the truth, I think that Junior is by far the more smarter fighter, and more precise with his striking. But I feel one well placed blow will put JDS in a place he doesn't want to be... On his arse lol. Junior would be wise to avoid those hulk-like fists, and if he does, he will outlast him in the second and take a sluggish Carwin in the third. One thing I believe for sure is that if it goes to a decision, the last couple of minutes won't be pretty. I'd say this is one of the closest calls in a while in the UFC. My buddies at work are split near on 50-50, but I'm definitely leaning towards a Carwin haymaker ending this early.

As for the questions, I would personally prefer to see Junior take on Cain. To see the two fastest strikers in the UFC's heavyweight ranks go at it would be something special, for sure, but I can't see JDS beating the man-beast that is Velasquez. Not at all. The same goes for Carwin. Although, much like Jones, Cain is, somewhat, unproven (guys had, like, less than ten fights), and with his surgery we don't know what he will be like upon his return. If he has lost half a step or so, then either one of these guys would have a chance against him, especially as all it would take is one well placed strike. Still, judging by past performances, Cain would probably take out both of them in the first round.

How about yourself? Cain vs Carwin or Cain vs Junior?

thejman93
06-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I'll hop on the "Carwin in the first" bandwaggon.

SilverGhost
06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I'll be in chat for this. I wanna see some heavy hands landing on the face lol

thejman93
06-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I'll be in chat for this. I wanna see some heavy hands landing on the face lol

I may be around too SG. You gonna be there for the prelims too?

Kashdinero
06-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Kash will be in chat!!! Might pop in from the prelims, but I'll deffo be there for the main-card!!

SilverGhost
06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Kash will be in chat!!! Might pop in from the prelims, but I'll deffo be there for the main-card!!

I'm already there!

Robstar
06-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Junior was the better fighter on the night!!! For what it's worth, the ref gave Carwin the same chances in the first that Brock got against Shane in their fight, when he was getting the shit smashed out of him against the cage.

So.....who we all got in Cain vs Junior???

SilverGhost
06-11-2011, 10:51 PM
The whole card was just awesome. The prelims had action and the main card was great to watch! Good good PPV!

Dos Santos got the win and now....I wanna see Dos Santos vs Velasquez for the title!

Robstar
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm torn between Cain and Junior. Could go either way, just like tonights match did.

And Brock's stock falls even further!

SilverGhost
06-11-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm torn between Cain and Junior. Could go either way, just like tonights match did.

And Brock's stock falls even further!

Yeah. I'll agree to this! But it will be a great fight!

Androo
06-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Really liked the event tonight, from prelims to main event. JDS was great! Like Rob said, Shane got the same treatment Brock got. Good the fight went on, Carwin showed toughness and Junior controlled pretty much. I really like Junior as a fighter, and as a person, and I kinda picked him lol! Junior v Cain, is another hard pick...but just now I'm gonna go for Junior. :)

K-Flo controlled his fight well aswell. Be interesting to see where he goes next. Aldo? A VERY big test for him, if even?!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Great night of fights, GREAT PPV. KO's and lots of BLOOD!!! Carwins nose is broke again!!!

Iron Ape
06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Junior was the better fighter on the night!!! For what it's worth, the ref gave Carwin the same chances in the first that Brock got against Shane in their fight, when he was getting the shit smashed out of him against the cage.

So.....who we all got in Cain vs Junior???
I love Dos Santos, but Cain is going to turn him upside down and shake all the fight out of him. Dude is a legit monster.

SilverGhost
06-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Really liked the event tonight, from prelims to main event. JDS was great! Like Rob said, Shane got the same treatment Brock got. Good the fight went on, Carwin showed toughness and Junior controlled pretty much. I really like Junior as a fighter, and as a person, and I kinda picked him lol! Junior v Cain, is another hard pick...but just now I'm gonna go for Junior. :)

K-Flo controlled his fight well aswell. Be interesting to see where he goes next. Aldo? A VERY big test for him, if even?!

Kenny dropping that weight was a shock to me.

eboy
06-12-2011, 03:32 AM
I'll say it again

Dos Santos Dos Santos Dos Santos

Robstar
06-12-2011, 04:29 AM
I love Dos Santos, but Cain is going to turn him upside down and shake all the fight out of him. Dude is a legit monster.

Yeah Ape, when I saw them face to face at the end there, I was thinking, fucking hell Cain is a monster! He may not be as huge as Brock in size but that man can bring it. I would have been more convinced about Junior if he came forward more tonight, but he's done it against the bigger guys in the past.

Fight of the year candidate - and it hasn't even happened yet!!!

hankamania83
06-12-2011, 06:22 AM
I was shocked @ the fact Carwin didnt seem to stand a chance, it was a good ppv, cant wait till July 2nd

Iron Ape
06-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah Ape, when I saw them face to face at the end there, I was thinking, fucking hell Cain is a monster! He may not be as huge as Brock in size but that man can bring it. I would have been more convinced about Junior if he came forward more tonight, but he's done it against the bigger guys in the past.

Fight of the year candidate - and it hasn't even happened yet!!!

Yeah, it's definitely the most exciting heavyweight match-up in, like, forever ever. And it warms my cockles to see Dana be able to get such intense interest in the division without resting on the laurels of Lesnar's somewhat mystifying star appeal.

SilverGhost
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah, it's definitely the most exciting heavyweight match-up in, like, forever ever. And it warms my cockles to see Dana be able to get such intense interest in the division without resting on the laurels of Lesnar's somewhat mystifying star appeal.

Dos Santos vs Velasquez does sound like a winner! I can't wait for that fight.

I never thought that Carwin would have such hesitation against Dos Santos. I said this in chat: "Carwin fears Dos Santos' hands" xD We can see why. I wanna see if those hands can do damage to a monster like Cain.

TommyLee
06-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Dos Santos had the match from the beginning , he was faster, deadly and imo more prepared, Carwin's cardio is really awful to say the least.
Something i know for a fact is that Velasquez will have a tough battle but my guess is that he retains by unanimous decision, he just needs to keep Dos Santos on the ground.

Automatic
06-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Sam Stout's KO was a beauty. Great ending to an awesome PPV.

SilverGhost
06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
http://sportsnickel.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Shane-Carwin-damaged-face.jpg

I heard a broken cheek bone and a broken nose was there.

Automatic
06-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Amazing he got through the last minute of the first round.

SilverGhost
06-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Amazing he got through the last minute of the first round.

I thought he was done there. That was some beatdown for sure.

Dos Santos vs Velasquez is going to be rather interesting and fun to watch. Brazil vs Mexico in the octagon!

Iron Ape
06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
There simply isn't a person in the UFC right now that has what it takes to beat Velasquez. He's going to have the heavyweight division on lockdown like Silva does middleweight and GSP does welterwight.

SilverGhost
06-19-2011, 04:43 PM
I still want a good fight out of the two! Even if Cain wins, I want this fight to go at least 3 rounds in a great fashion! xD