PDA

View Full Version : Contract workers or employees?

DarkSide
09-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Should WWE wrestlers be contract players or employees with all the rights and protection that goes with it?

Your thoughts...

SilverGhost
09-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Good question. Um....contract workers?

wallyman
09-26-2010, 12:30 PM
they dont let em do anything outside of the companay so yeah its employees....if they was independent contractors they would work other shows i am sure like movies and stuff...but they dont let them do other projects...

IPEEINTHESHOWER
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. No one is putting a gun to the talents head and forcing them to sign with the biggest and greatest rasslin organization in the world (WWE). Life is not fair in many aspects and with any company you will have disgruntled employee's. Yes, i think they should have health insurance just like everyone else in the USA but if they get injured on the job in any way the wwe pays for it. And get this not only does wwe pay for this but they get the best doctors in the world to treat the injury. One name comes to mind and his name is Dr. Andrews, if you are unfamiliar with his work Google him. He is truly the best at what he does and he treats the greatest athletes of our time. In the end i think this is more about money management issues than anything else. WWE doesnt pay their talent with cookies and fudge sticks i can assure you. Some people think since the money is good now it will always be and this is not the case in life at all. Yes its nice to have a bigger house than your neighbor or drive a car that cost more than most people make in 3 years of hard work but that doesn't and shouldn't define you as a person even though we think it will somehow. My point is to save some of that hard earned money because you cant wrestle forever and you never know what life will throw at you tomorrow or next week. On top of that wwe provides services most companies would never do for example even if you don't work their anymore they will pay for you to go to rehab no questions asked. Its sad they have to provide this service but at least they have a heart when your down and out and need some help. To sum this up i believe the people that complain are the ones that lived the lifestyle of the rich and famous but in the end they found out in life very few stay rich and famous. U MAD???

Sydnister
09-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Well said. The game is what it is and if you don't want to play go home. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who can make 10 times what I do per year and then complain at the end of their run that they have nothing left to show for it. There are plenty of guys over the years that were able to make the good money, invest it, and walk away comfortable after their run.

Murphdogg4
09-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Well said. The game is what it is and if you don't want to play go home. I have a hard time feeling sorry for people who can make 10 times what I do per year and then complain at the end of their run that they have nothing left to show for it. There are plenty of guys over the years that were able to make the good money, invest it, and walk away comfortable after their run.

The low to midcard guys don't make more money then most people.

Robstar
09-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. No one is putting a gun to the talents head and forcing them to sign with the biggest and greatest rasslin organization in the world (WWE). Life is not fair in many aspects and with any company you will have disgruntled employee's. Yes, i think they should have health insurance just like everyone else in the USA but if they get injured on the job in any way the wwe pays for it. And get this not only does wwe pay for this but they get the best doctors in the world to treat the injury. One name comes to mind and his name is Dr. Andrews, if you are unfamiliar with his work Google him. He is truly the best at what he does and he treats the greatest athletes of our time. In the end i think this is more about money management issues than anything else. WWE doesnt pay their talent with cookies and fudge sticks i can assure you. Some people think since the money is good now it will always be and this is not the case in life at all. Yes its nice to have a bigger house than your neighbor or drive a car that cost more than most people make in 3 years of hard work but that doesn't and shouldn't define you as a person even though we think it will somehow. My point is to save some of that hard earned money because you cant wrestle forever and you never know what life will throw at you tomorrow or next week. On top of that wwe provides services most companies would never do for example even if you don't work their anymore they will pay for you to go to rehab no questions asked. Its sad they have to provide this service but at least they have a heart when your down and out and need some help. To sum this up i believe the people that complain are the ones that lived the lifestyle of the rich and famous but in the end they found out in life very few stay rich and famous. U MAD???

No cookies and fudge sticks? Awwww maaaan! It's good enough for TNA!

I agree with what you're saying 100% but if WWE are as good with rehabbing injured and/or drug dependent stars, what harm could there be in a union? (I know what the harm is - Vinny Mac would be being dictated to and not the other way around)

eyehatecena
09-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Thats the second time I agree with the pe but have not used at all.e in the shower guy. But I also agree that a union would not hurt- would actaully make things better for those lower on the card...and would probally force WWE to get rid of dead weight....i.e. wrestlers they have on the roster

merhardt03
09-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Good discussion. I wish I knew more bout this situation but I do believe they are contracted workers. Good opinions about the Union suggestion. THE TRUTH WILL BE TOLD

DarkSide
09-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Wow, some really good, intelligent comments - I dare anyone to find the same feedback on other forums without resorting to "F yo mama" comments.

I haven't actually given my thoughts here. I think WWE should make them employees.

They think of themselves as a corporate and modern wrestling company that works like any respectable TV production house with season premieres and all that. They always say that they are an entertainment company not a wrestling company - so why shy away from making them employees?

Is it the huge insurance cost associated with insuring a high-risk job too high to be financially viable? Who knows.

But as some have said here - they get paid too much anyway - remember they will be taxed more and come home with less.

Oh well, as wrestlers always say, we don't know the BUSINESS so we should shut up. So I will keep my mouth shut.