PDA

View Full Version : Which titles Should not be / Should not have been retired

Revolver Magus
09-25-2010, 11:07 PM
As we all know all the titles are to be unified resulting in one of the two belts being retired before the end of the year or by early next year, I for one am thrilled by this because A) It will give the titles meaning again B) There will be far more chances for Storylines and mid-card titles will serve to actually push their holders C) Get rid of the brand extension to some degree, allowing younger stars a chance to shine.

Now that I have finished my rant ^.^ here is the list of titles that -should not- or should not have been retired

WWE Championship / World heavy weight title:

Personally I Feel The WWE Championship should survive in the unification although not in its current form. I always hated the Spinner belt and felt it should be like Stone Cold Steve Austins 'Smoking skull belt', exclusive to only when John Cena holds the title. The reason I feel the WWE championship is largely due to its history of holders like, Bruno Sanmartino, Michaels, Bret Hart, I could go on all night with the greats that have held it and feel that its legacy should make the holder feel honored to be among the list of greats that held it before him. Another big reason would be due to the general name of the World Heavy weight championship is a double standard, as there have been several Wrestlers who were not considered heavyweights who have held the title (Rey Mysterio or Jeff Hardy sticks out in my mind). Its not that that in its self is a problem but when you think of "World heavyweight" the name give sort of an excluding vibe to those who can never meet that prerequisite, thus puting the WWE back into the mid-set they are starting to veer away from.

Intercontinental Championship/ Us Championship:

This one is a no brainer, the Intercontinental Championship NEEDS to survive this unification. Plain and simple the US title Simply dose not hold the weight push wise as the IC championship dose. On top of a over-all history of title holders the IC title has elevated at least 75% of its holders to Championship/top card status there after. IMO the US title has always been more of a trophy of their acquiring WCW, sort of a way to say "HEY we own your title now!" and nothing more. To those who remember, they did retire the IC title in favor of the Us title and to say the least it didn't go over so well, like replacing the WWE title with the ECW (the WWE version) Championship. Just dose'nt translate well on paper.

WWE Tag Titles/ World Tag titles

Wont matter until they bring up a strong tag team division, and boost teams like the Uso's above skits with career killer santino. (nothing against santino, but if your doing skits on raw with him, expect to be on the 'future endevors' list)

WWE Womens Championship / Divas Championship

WTF were they Smoking when they retired the womens championship over the divas title and where can I get some? I was blown away when they retired a belt that was held by the likes of the Fabulous Moola (RIP), Trish Stratus, Ivory women that could ACTUALLY wrestle, in favor of a barbie doll championship that has had ''revered'' holders such as Alicia Fox? REALLY? That unification was the catalyst to the fact that the womens division will -never- recover from the joke that it is...

That's my (long) list, feel free to contribute with your opinions on what belts you think should not be retired.

IrkenInvader
09-25-2010, 11:49 PM
The Womens Championship should have been retired because of its history, if girls like Alicia Fox were to get get the title that would be like saying she was at the same level as those amazing you just mentioned.

I think everything else you said was spot on.

SilverGhost
09-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree with what you said. Though I have been more of a supporter of the US title than the IC title but thats me. Either way its fine.

merhardt03
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree with the original post. Keep WWE title and IC title lineage. But I am in favor of retiring Womens title. Not sure retiring World Tag was good to favor the WWE tags lineage.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
09-26-2010, 01:33 AM
My view on this topic is the same as good ole JR's, titles really don't mean that much to me. In the end they are nothing more than some metal and rubber. The most important thing is to tell a compelling story. True, it is a great achievement to be on top of the mountain. But I believe the best stories are told going up/down the mountain and not on top of it. U MAD?

SilverGhost
09-26-2010, 01:41 AM
My view on this topic is the same as good ole JR's, titles really don't mean that much to me. In the end they are nothing more than some metal and rubber. The most important thing is to tell a compelling story. True, it is a great achievement to be on top of the mountain. But I believe the best stories are told going up/down the mountain and not on top of it. U MAD?

I agree with this.

Though I believe there has to some credibilty with the titles. The reason why its called a championship in the first place. The storyline of a wrestler that actually worked hard enough and climbed that mountain and got that prize called a championship not only gives the title credibility, also makes the story great. WWE will make that happen soon enough.

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
09-26-2010, 11:15 AM
the titles they should keep is wwe, ic, tag titles, womans, and bring in the cruiserweight title again and bring i some good cruiserweights aswell to join the ones they have already since they probs wont be going near the hardcore title

dxtaker
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I think they should keep the WWE Title (obviously) they should have kept the Womens and World Tag Team Titles but keep both the United States and Intercontinental Titles simply for the reason that if they only keep one of the two titles a lot of midcarders wont be being used. If they keep both more wrestlers will have something to do.

macstar77
09-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds really silly but if they do decide to unify the Intercontinental Title and U.S. Title does that not free up lots of WWE mid-carders to rebuild their tag team division?

I'm the same as most folk, I hate teams that are just thrown together to make up storylines for the title.

Also I completely agree with retiring the Women's Title for the simple fact, the likes of Alica Fox should not be considered at the same level of the likes of Trish Stratus and Chyna by holding that championship.

NecroButcher187
09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Although I can understand the aguments posted in favor of the WWE and Intercontinental Championships, why are the World Heavyweight and U.S. Championships being belittled??? You can name the list of great champions that have held those titles as well. Look at the WHC, which boasts some of the greatests wrestles of all times in it's lineage, such as: Harley Race, Sting, Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, Lex Luger, etc. I personally would like to see the WHC stick around, mainly because of the belt itself. Be realistic: Unless you're 12 & under, theres NO arguing the WHC is just a cooler, more bad-ass belt. 20 pounds of gold, baby!!! Just rename that belt the WWE Heavyweight Championship, simple. I do see the need to keep 2 mid-level belts, especially if WWE plans on fusing the roster. The Intercontinental belt should be retained since it has its origins in the WWE, but I would love to see the return of the World Television Championship (Yes, the classic silver version). In the NWA, early WCW days that belt was a stepping stone and evaluator for young, deserving talent. With a combined roster, create more damn tag teams, with coordinated looks, names and chemistry; a la TNA: not just 2 wrestlers slapped together. Keep the WWE Tag Team Belts. They should've taken the Women's division more seriously, a la TNA, and kept the credibility of the division in tact with the Woman's Championship; But no need to close that barn door, the horse is already gone. As far as a return of a Cruserweight/Lightweight title; Although I do enjoy it's fast-paced action, there is no need for it. If you want a special belt because your small, go to midget wrestling. You wanna play with the big boys?? Then sack up, man up and do it: Look at Rey Mysterio, "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert, Chris Jericho (he was a cruserweight), Evan Bourne, Lance Storm, just to name a few. All little guys that could hang with, and beat, any wrestler at any time.

Daniel Bryan
09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
i think they should keep the WWE championship but instead of the IC title it should be the US title... name one person within a year who is becoming or is relevant now i can name two for the US title... The Miz and Daniel Bryan... the last two IC title holders are Ziggler and McIntyre... those two are nowhere near relevancy compared to The Miz and Daniel Bryan thats just my opinion and unifying these two titles would be genius in my opinion bc there would be more open mid-carders for the tag team division and that could help rebuild it in my opinion for the divas crap its a joke in my opinion and wont comment on it and the tag division needs to be rebuilt

AndyWonder
09-26-2010, 09:57 PM
It's really simple to me.....DO NOT retire any title belts that were the originals of the WWE company. The WWE championship is the WWWF/WWF/WWE championship(original). The World Heavyweight title is the "nostalgic NWA/WCW championship." The Women's title was the original one, that should have stayed. The "world" tag team championship was the original one and that should have at least stayed as well. Light-heavyweight title should have stayed. I think guys were embarassed to be called "light-heavyweights." You were not in the right weight class! It's not the end of the world! The U.S. title should be retired....it is a no-brainer. It did not originate in the company it is in now.

Apollo Waits
09-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Actually the last 2 to hold the I.C. title were Ziggler and Kingston.

Robstar
09-27-2010, 12:13 AM
I can't understand this loyalty to the WWE belt. I'm all for keeping it the World title - U MAD? lol

And as far as the 'talented women wrestlers' debate goes, well I won't go there as I can't agree and holding a title has never been about pure talent *ahemlexlugerahem*. Why can't they just be seen as a natural continuation of both titles?

Bring back light heavyweight for sure, keep both US and IC belts, that's what I reckon. The biggest problem is that I will bet you that the novelty spinner belt outsells the novelty WHC belt at least 2 to 1.

mikeasorus
09-27-2010, 12:41 AM
i agree with all of that get rid of the U.S. title they have nothing to prove to WCW but im still wondering how long it take's for erice to try take on wwe again. they really do need to start looking for some new tag team talent i think if they eneded the brand extention the tag team division would be ok as they would have to start pearing people up just so every can make tv i think MVP and JTG would make an ok tag team still dont know why they eneded cryme tyme every body loved them and they broke them up for nothing i mean when was the last time any body saw shad

SilverGhost
09-27-2010, 12:44 AM
The midcard titles IC and US shouldn't be unified. It would help out for the midcarders who are rising to the top.

Daniel Bryan
09-27-2010, 09:39 AM
i think any smackdown title should just be retired... i stopped watching smackdown bc of the crap they were putting on it was horrible and still is... i think smackdown has been a joke for a long time and and it shold well best said by the undertaker "Rest in Peace" it had a great run but thats definitely over now

jrdudley
09-27-2010, 10:46 AM
well hands down the titles they should have are
world
united states like it better than i c
tag
womens
eurpoean
cruiserweight
and if they combined both shows they would be set everyone would have a chance and a division and they wouldnt be cutting talent so much then

Daniel Bryan
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
well hands down the titles they should have are
world
united states like it better than i c
tag
womens
eurpoean
cruiserweight
and if they combined both shows they would be set everyone would have a chance and a division and they wouldnt be cutting talent so much then

i like but i think they should get rid of the divas division still... its a joke

jrdudley
09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
the divas are a joke well most of them.... except michelle mccool and gail kim i have to say im upset to see gail kim there for a year and still hasnt held the title but thats my opinon is she is the best one there i would like to see her with the title (gail) melina is ok beth phoenix is good but like eve torres and like kelly kelly they shud be managers not wrestlers they dont know what they are doing but if they brought back two undercard titles they would be set and it would give the undercard a better chance when u have only two major titles not everyone is going to get a crack at it and thats why they are always cutting talent

Danny Des
09-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Completely agree with Revolver Magus here. Everything said is spot on, im a massive fan of the IC title and think it plays a major part in help get guys pushed to the big leagues and drawing ppv buys

JimmytheBlack
09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
They Should have kept the Woman's title. The diva's title is so much of a joke I refuse to capitalize it in referrence. The Woman's title is the oldest chamionship in WWE history. It predates their "prestigious" WWE title. Although I do agree with what other people have said about preserving it's integrity and not letting jobbers like A-Fox, Jillian, the Bella twins, and Kelly-Kelly taint it's legacy.

Combining the US and IC title (IC title survies) would open up mash ups for the tag team division. At the same time, mash up some good singles matches with the removal of the brand extension. Giving guys like Bourne and Golddust to get a real push at a title run.

Rebuild the tag team division CONSITANTLY. Stop bringing in teams to fail (ie. Cryme Tyme, and the Highlanders). Even though Hawkins and Archer are ugly to look at. Not only in the ring, just phyically it's a challenge to look at them. Give them some exposure to support their division. Not just jobbing for the Big Show. They could be doing some weekly thing with the Dude Busters. Even if Bourne can't go solo, keep him with Mark Henry. If Evan Bourne can do anything, it's absorb a lot of punishment to gas his oppenents. They'll be too tried try to put Bourne away, that Henry will dominate with enough power moves. To cause the confusion to allow Bourne to setup a shooting star. Mcintyre only goes over because of the unbelievable success of Cody's new gimmick. They even pulled out Martel's mirror from the prop Vault. Either way, they're the team they people want to see lose, which they wont. They have the opportunity to bring some light back to the tag team division.

Keep the WHC and WWE title seperate. Both titles have a lot of legacy and deserve to stay in cirrculation. If Flair held it, don't put it on the shelf.