PDA

View Full Version : Super Fight set for UFC 137!:D

Master BaTor
06-01-2011, 09:26 PM

The hurdles have apparently been cleared.

Despite his recent insistence that a bout between current UFC champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) and Strikeforce title holder Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) was anything but a done deal, UFC president Dana White today announced the two welterweights will clash in the main event of the previously unannounced UFC 137 event.

According to White, the UFC welterweight title contest will take place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Fans began to clamor for the matchup when St-Pierre disposed of Diaz's teammate, Jake Shields, at April's UFC 129 event. With the March acquisition of Strikeforce by the UFC's parent company, fans called for the transition of the Strikeforce champ to the UFC ranks.

While declining to address the barriers specifically, White continuously deflected questions regarding the probability of the matchup.

Until now.

St-Pierre carries an impressive nine-fight win streak into the matchup and has dropped just one fight, an April 2007 upset at the hands of Matt Serra, in his past 16 outings.

Meanwhile, Diaz fights for the first time in the octagon since his 2006 release from the promotion. Diaz has gone 11-1, including a current 10-fight win streak.

White wasn't immediately available for comment, and it's unknown what, if anything, the promotion offered to Strikeforce's broadcast partners at Showtime in order to pull Diaz to the UFC. White also did not detail what lies in store for Strikeforce's welterweight title, which Diaz could potentially vacate before entering the octagon.

Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, did today tell USA Today that the St-Pierre fight is part of a new eight-fight contract for Diaz that allows the current Strikeforce champ to compete in both Strikeforce and the UFC.

Robstar
06-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Not sure about this. Seems like a step towards unification to me and that means UFC controlling all major talent. However, if it's just a 'superfight' then sure, I'd go for it. Diaz will have his ass handed to him.....if somewhat methodically and likely in a decision ending fight, like most of GSP's fights.

I will say this though - there's a reason Diaz fights for and is a champion in Strikeforce. That reason is because he isn't good enough for the UFC.

Iron Ape
06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I really have to disagree with Rob on this one: Diaz not staying in the UFC had less to do with his abilities as a fighter and more to do with his love for Mary Jane (the guy's last two fights in the company were victories, after all). Did the guy lose a number of fights while he was with the company? Absolutely. But the fact of the matter is that every single one of those fights went to decision, and they were all, at the time, against top level opponents.

Diaz's skill level has evolved massively in the interim, and his absolutely unique and unorthodox style presents a very real threat to a complacent company guy who's grown more than accustomed to playing it safe. Yeah, the smart bet would be on GSP emerging the victor, but I think it's more than a little naive to regard it as some kind of foregone conclusion.

Robstar
06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I really have to disagree with Rob on this one: Diaz not staying in the UFC had less to do with his abilities as a fighter and more to do with his love for Mary Jane (the guy's last two fights in the company were victories, after all). Did the guy lose a number of fights while he was with the company? Absolutely. But the fact of the matter is that every single one of those fights went to decision, and they were all, at the time, against top level opponents.

Diaz's skill level has evolved massively in the interim, and his absolutely unique and unorthodox style presents a very real threat to a complacent company guy who's grown more than accustomed to playing it safe. Yeah, the smart bet would be on GSP emerging the victor, but I think it's more than a little naive to regard it as some kind of foregone conclusion.

Alright, I'll cop that. I have never been a big fan of the Diaz brothers attitude though. They always came across as bullies to me. Anyway, I wonder if we'll see Diaz/Mayhem in the UFC?

Iron Ape
06-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Alright, I'll cop that. I have never been a big fan of the Diaz brothers attitude though. They always came across as bullies to me. Anyway, I wonder if we'll see Diaz/Mayhem in the UFC?
Oh, they are HUGE bullies. And have you ever heard either of them talk? Big-time idiots, too. But the thing is, I think that's part of the appeal for me. Like, I know that if these guys weren't making money in a cage, they'd be out there robbing rob gas stations and starting fights inside of mall food courts. They're sociopaths who stumbled upon a way to stay out of jail.

Plus, Nick Diaz starting a brawl with Joe Riggs inside of a freakin' hospital shortly after he lost a fight to him is one of the most hilarious and legendary MMA stories ever. The guy is like some kind of unbelievable movie character.

Moe21
06-04-2011, 02:04 AM

Mayhem was in the UFC and then got kicked put. Dana wanted to bring him back because of how good he really is but both Dana and Mayhem didnt see eye to eye at the time. Apparently from what I hear they put everything past them and I honestly dont know if its true or not but apparently Mayhem and Bisping are going to be coaches for the next season of TUF. Im hoping its true because I like Mayhem regardless of how he acts. Hes one of the best fighters out there.

Iron Ape
06-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Mayhem Miller's one of the best fighters out there? Hahahaha. Um, what?

Moe21
06-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Have you ever watched any of his fights from Japan or Strikeforce?

Iron Ape
06-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Have you ever watched any of his fights from Japan or Strikeforce?
Yeah, I have.

Robstar
06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I like Miller, but in the big fights he falls short. He has apparantly signed with UFC but isn't he in a different weight class to Bisping?

Rich Cranium
06-07-2011, 12:16 AM
I do want to see GSP vs Diaz though. I think GSP will destroy him but I think Diaz is a bit tricky and could bring a few surprises.

Moe21
06-07-2011, 01:41 AM
I do want to see GSP vs Diaz though. I think GSP will destroy him but I think Diaz is a bit tricky and could bring a few surprises.

Yea I agree with that! Its definitly going to be one hell of a fight. Im going to go with GSP ftw though.

Robstar
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
GSP is becoming a little too 'unbeatable' and I won't be surprised if he did lose. Though he's certainly the favourite. They should try sign Couture/Fedor for the same card

Kashdinero
06-09-2011, 01:39 AM
After witnessing Nick's fight against Daley, I'm thinking that a lay and pray offence/defence may be GSP's best game-plan. Love him or hate him (or just plain indifferent towards him) you have to admit that Daley is a dangerous striker, but Nick's fists flew faster, and had a lot more precision behind them. GSP will find it tough going if he wants to stand and bang with one half of MMA's answer to RoH's Briscoe Brothers.

Being somewhat of a street boy (/sweet boy :)) growing up, professionalism has never really been my thing, so I'm the sort of 'tard that loves all the out-there shenanigans that the Brisc... I mean the Diaz bros display for all and sundry to witness and judge.

I really hope that this isn't a unification match, though, and it's more of an exhibition fight. Although, with the way Dana is, I imagine the former is the stronger possibility.