PDA

View Full Version : The Mid-Low Carder Dilemma

Robstar
08-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Recent times have seen WWE pushing a large group of young talent. The reason for this was because of the scare WWE got around 1997, when practically ALL of their top name stars were out with injury at the same time - which is basically why they pleaded with Jericho to come back at the time. I bet he even got to write his own contract.

Unfortunately, the WWE assumes that by calling them all "superstars" is the equivalent of creating main eventers. Wrong.

WWE wasn't then and still isn't now paying attention to mid-low card talent - more to the point they are misusing the IC, US and Tag Titles to this end. Why is the US belt still on The Miz? Isn't giving him the MITB briefcase enough to maintain his push? And you just know he'll be milking that thing for months to come. Sure, they put the IC belt on Ziggler - finally - but my feeling is they won't keep it on him; I hope I'm wrong though. And then there's the Tag Team Titles - I don't mind having the Hart Dynasty holding them, but they need to split them back up again and develop a real tag division on BOTH brands.

My point is simply this - by heating up the competition for these belts, making them relevant and interesting again, WWE would be going a LONG way towards having more depth to their roster AND help create interest in mid-low carders - use them to bring the young stars up and keep older ones on the boil.

Yoshi Tatsu;Goldust;Christian;Primo;Kozlov;Regal;Santino ;Mark Henry;Evan Bourne;Cody Rhodes; Chavo;Masters;Mercury;Gallows;Vance Archer;JTG all are cases in point. Hell, Croft & Baretta are a tag team on a show with no titles!?! What's the point in that? And then there's the Nexus and NXT guys.

WWE can't just turn around and tell us that we should consider people as stars *ahem* Drew McIntyre....

SgtGohan
08-13-2010, 05:47 AM
i do wish they would use the midcard belts better, and definitely get that belt off of miz. i would be nice to see the midcard section heat up.

ch.brooks24
08-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Couldnt agree more.

Like on RAW just this past monday, why wouldn't they have made the Miz-Bourne match a US Title match? If that match is a US title match, that match becomes so much more entertaining and it brings relevance to the title. Not only does the Miz look good in beating Bourne, but he looks better as he would've defended his championship. Plus the fact that everyone knows Bourne has a push going, so now your thinking "man Bourne could win the title here."

Now think about this, if that match is a title match and Bourne wins - that helps Bourne get over even more then he already is AND that doesnt hurt Miz' push at all as he still has MITB. So your actually elevating 2 talents there. Its win-win. Plus by putting the title on Bourne, your creating an opportunity for him to become a strong champion.. possibly prepping him for a future World Title run (which is what the Mid-Card Championships SHOULD be used for in the first place.) Even if you dont wanna give Bourne a World Title run.. hes still over big-time with crowd and that keeps him highly relevant. This is of course assuming WWE books him as a fighting champion. Which brings me to my next point..

WWE just assumes that by putting a title on someone.. it should automatically make them over with the crowd. Yeah, doesnt work like that. Just because The Hart Dynasty walk around with titles around the waists and shoulders doesnt mean the crowd is going to believe they're a great tag team. Same goes with ANY Championship. Theres absolutely no reason that Champions shouldn't be defending their titles on a regular basis. What would be so wrong with The Hart Dynasty having a title defense every other week on Raw or Smackdown? Even if they're not in a lengthy feud.. just have them defend their titles regulary so they look like strong champions. They're finally starting to work the IC championship pretty good over on Smackdown and theirs no reason why the same shouldnt be happening with the US and Tag Titles.

Bodom
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
The problem with your idea on the Miz-Bourne match is there would have been no build up.

ch.brooks24
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
The problem with your idea on the Miz-Bourne match is there would have been no build up.

Not every match or title change needs build-up. Whats wrong with a suprise title change every now and then? You dont like suprises? I think that Bourne going over Miz for the Title without build up would've created some Buzz as it would've been some what of a shock - which is always a good thing.

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
08-13-2010, 10:55 AM
i feel goldust for one has something still to offer instead of being on superstars all the time should do something with him
yoshi tatsu is being way under used same boat as goldust
regal they should make him once the nexus angle is over as wade barrets manager/mentor or form a major uk faction with sheamus and drew mcintyre
christian should be up pushing for world title level but tey refuse to do that
kozlov i ahvent a clue why they didnt keep him the monster russian he is better than this shit with santino
masters and rhodes should be used as some narrsist tag team or ne billy and chuck lol
they need to also push tag divison a lot more aswell

Robstar
08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Once again WWE wasted a chance to put over the IC belt by pointlessly having the Nexus interfere in the match at Summerslam. Not to mention the fact that The Miz didn't even have a match at all, although I suppose they'll have him drop the US belt to Daniel Bryan now.

the_captain
08-16-2010, 01:06 PM
I do assume that the US strap is going to Bryan as well. But I'd like to see some more competition for this as well. I think Kofi can try for the IC title one more time, and have Ziggler go over on him soundly.

When Kofi was the US champ, almost every title defense he had (that I can remember) was against multiple people. I'd like to see this go on again, and build some mini-rivalries amongst the competitors of those matches. This would be for the IC and US titles. Have tournaments amongst the wrestlers for a championship match. Make it a competition.

Also: Bring back the Cruiserweight title. If you're not going to make more competition for the other belts, bring this one back and make it interesting.

Lastly, for the tag titles, either split them up or just make it one title altogether. I think the reasoning is that they don't think they have enough tag teams to warrant having two belts. If that's the case, totally unify them and just make it the WWE World Tag Titles. Then, make tag competition cross brand.

SgtGohan
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
definitely not bring back the cruiserweight title. there are enough titles in the wwe as it is, adding another would only make it worse and besides the only cruiserweight wrestlers that are over are evan bourne and chavo..

the_captain
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Cruiserweight title is just a passing fancy. I just want to see it come back, don't expect it to. And "LOL" to Chavo being "over" at all. Once you lose to Hornswaggle 9 times, you're never getting over in my books again. He's like Santino level over to me at this point. Poor Chavo.

I agree, if they were to bring it back they need to make more cruiserweights believable. But the whole purpose of this thread is that they aren't getting the mid carders over at all.

Really what I want to see is more people in the runnings for the mid level straps. Like I said above, tournaments, multi-"superstar" matches. Fatal 4 ways or triple threats for the IC title would get more people interested and would get more talent over.

MrNolan
08-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I have a hard time caring about the mid-card belts anymore. Back in the day the IC belt wasn't too far less in prestige as the world title. back when The Rock and Stone Cold used to fight for it. Also when Bret Hart held it and before that too! Today the IC and US titles are meaningless. I could not believe they let Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston lose in two different matches on Smachdown last week to build up the World Title match contestants. It just showed me that they don't care for the that divison. Kofi and Dolph should have both been pitted against lesser comp to build up their match for Summerslam, not pitted up against Kane and Rey so they could job to them. Thats pathetic.

Incubus_99
08-17-2010, 03:00 AM
i do agree that the mid card level needs to be reworked on. Guys like Christian & John Morrisoon are being used in the Mid Card. The IC, US & Tag Titles seem to be a wasted.

At least the IC title is being defended regularly. i don even remember the last time Miz defended his US title. Its just being wasted where you could create a whole new division arnd these titles. Specially the younger talent. If there was the right buzz created and the right people being used in the right way, then it would not only make the fans more interested, but would also keep the mid-carders happy as well. Best example was Carlito. This kid had talent and he was just being used wrong.

WWe also needs to develop more tag teams. Matching up singles competitors for a tag match gets boring. i miss the days when there so amny talented Tag teams in the Co. Seeing 2 Guys dressed in the same tights or clothes with the same face paints or with the same gimmicks was amazing. Now the Tag Team Division is being used as fillers for a PPV. Teams such as Legion of Doom, Steiner Brothers, Edge & Christian, Hardy Brothers, etc. were amazing. Heck, even the Bushwhackers were good.

Verdammung
08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Lots of truth going on in this thread.

Miz definitely needs to lose the mid-card title. Aside from the fact that I can't remember him in a U.S Championship match since the night he won it two months ago, he's ready to become a main event performer within the near future, and it's better to get the title off him sooner than later to put him over when it happens. It's been speculated, and in my opinion accurately, that he'll lose the title to Daniel Bryan come Night of Champions. I just hope WWE has Daniel Bryan win some matches before the PPV.

WWE definitely needs to develop tag teams, because the contenders they have right now pretty much suck. The Uso's are too green, the Dudebusters are practically jobbers at this point, and having not watched Superstars in a while, I haven't seen the Hawkins/Archer tag team do anything but a squash match in a while. The most important thing to do right now is have a title match. One match I could suggest is Hart Dynasty vs. Morrison and R-Truth. It may be face-face and slightly bury Morrison and Truth, but it would at least put over the champions if they win.

AGEOFFALL
08-21-2010, 03:35 AM
i feel like the wwe puts more focus on titles when certain people hold them. like last year the ic title meant something when mysterio and jericho were fighting for it. when morrison and mcintyre won it there was some focus on it but not as much as mysterio/jericho. even now that the ziggler has won it from kingston there hasn't been that much focus.

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
The IC Title took a backseat in the Jericho/Mysterio feud but at least if was still made relevant, after that feud the IC title looked hot property, the title should have been well and truly built up, Mysterio is someone I blame for this though, when he got Wellnessed last year when he was the IC Champion, he refused point blank to drop the title to Ziggler, now Rey and Ziggler where in a big feud at the time, instead they had him drop it out of the blue to John Morrison (at Reys request) and because he didn't have a genuine feud they had to throw guys at him so he could beat a few on TV, the title was once again overlooked because there wasn't a big story to go with the big title change, ever since Morrison got it the title has been falling faster than Rey and Jericho could build it

DirtySteal
08-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Tell you what I'd like to see.

Create a new belt, which all the High-Flyers and quicker superstars can fight for. Just create a division where people like Chavo, Evan Bourne, Christian, Hardy can shine despite their loses and squashes. A title belt that can be defended on both shows and gives fans a quick high based technical match style with superstars that should belong in the lime light but aint ready yet or WWE just wont let them in.

Dont make it about the title, make it about the wrestlers fighting for our entertainment. This could serve as the X-Devision of WWE.
Call the title the High Flyers Championship or Entertainment Title or somthing.

This will give the Mid card somthing different and interesting, and be used as a spring board to the main event.

Robstar
08-21-2010, 07:01 PM
i do agree that the mid card level needs to be reworked on. Guys like Christian & John Morrisoon are being used in the Mid Card. The IC, US & Tag Titles seem to be a wasted.

WWe also needs to develop more tag teams. Matching up singles competitors for a tag match gets boring. i miss the days when there so amny talented Tag teams in the Co. Seeing 2 Guys dressed in the same tights or clothes with the same face paints or with the same gimmicks was amazing. Now the Tag Team Division is being used as fillers for a PPV. Teams such as Legion of Doom, Steiner Brothers, Edge & Christian, Hardy Brothers, etc. were amazing. Heck, even the Bushwhackers were good.

So many people forget that before they were the Bushwhackers they were The Sheepherders and they were one of THE MOST hardcore teams around. What WWE/F did to them was shameful, but they got a good payday and finally some noteriety out of it.

AGEOFFALL
08-22-2010, 03:19 AM
The Mid Card titles are in a state of purgatory.

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-23-2010, 07:18 PM
The Sheephearders where freeking epic, those guys busted skulls like not many others, you know to a lesser extent Vince tried to kiddy up The Road Warriors as well, the Legion of Doom where never the same team as they where pre WWF

Robstar
08-23-2010, 09:57 PM
The Sheephearders where freeking epic, those guys busted skulls like not many others, you know to a lesser extent Vince tried to kiddy up The Road Warriors as well, the Legion of Doom where never the same team as they where pre WWF

Yeah I'll never forget how The Road Warriors lost their edge as soon as they joined the WWE/F circus. They held out for so long, not going there. Even Tully & Arn got the stupid Brainbusters name - I'm still surprised WWF/E didn't give them new names, although signing those guys was similar to signing The Radicalz and using their names would have been Vince rubbing it in as much as possible to WCW

SilverGhost
08-24-2010, 02:06 AM
WWE get to work on the MID CARDS AND THE CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Very dull matches...even if they are good.

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Yeah I'll never forget how The Road Warriors lost their edge as soon as they joined the WWE/F circus. They held out for so long, not going there. Even Tully & Arn got the stupid Brainbusters name - I'm still surprised WWF/E didn't give them new names, although signing those guys was similar to signing The Radicalz and using their names would have been Vince rubbing it in as much as possible to WCW

To be fair, at that particular time it was more common for Vince to play on the history of a Wrestler and therefore allow them to keep their names to generate more heat/pop for them when they debuted in the WWF, back in the day when he was a genuine Wrestling Promoter and not an entertainment producer

Robstar
08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
To be fair, at that particular time it was more common for Vince to play on the history of a Wrestler and therefore allow them to keep their names to generate more heat/pop for them when they debuted in the WWF, back in the day when he was a genuine Wrestling Promoter and not an entertainment producer

Yeah but it's downright impossible to play on a wrestler's background when you refuse to aknowledge the existence of the rival company they worked for, at the time. Yes I agree with you that Vince was once a 'promoter' as such and this was his way of appealing to the smarks, without going into great detail about where they worked prior to WWE. The most obvious case is the Flair/World Title belt story, where they aknowledged the belt (sort of) but never went into detail about what the origins of the belt were

IrkenInvader
07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Bump...........