PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person who does not miss the 6 sided ring?

Murphdogg4
09-25-2010, 05:53 AM
For one thing I love the tradition of wrestling and like the squared circle. I also think they threw the 6 sided ring in and never really talked about what made it different etc. They could of done angles where when guys came into TNA they had to get used to the ring and had a hard time wrestling TNA original who were used to it. Or they could of promoted it as being a advantage for the X divison wrestlers against the big men. With all that being said I was glad to see it gone, and believe it or not TNA actually started out as a promotion with the traditional ring.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
09-25-2010, 08:24 AM
In my infinite wisdom i believe it was nothing more than a gimmick. True it was something different, but you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Splattered-Dreams
09-25-2010, 09:11 AM
It ruined the momentum of irish whips, I thought! the rpes were too tight

merhardt03
09-25-2010, 12:55 PM
TNA tried something different but all the WWE sheep like yourselves ruined it. Pat yourself on the back.

IrkenInvader
09-25-2010, 01:10 PM
It ruined the momentum of irish whips, I thought! the rpes were too tight

but higher sringboards.

tantrum
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Personally I liked it, sure there are traditions, but the 6 sided ring made TNA different and unique from the "other" promotions, I've stopped watching so much since they switched back to the squared circle

Murphdogg4
09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
TNA tried something different but all the WWE sheep like yourselves ruined it. Pat yourself on the back.

Grow up, just because I did not like the ring doesn't mean I don't like TNA.

merhardt03
09-25-2010, 03:17 PM
All members do is complain just like u. WWE sheep. BAAA BAAA

Murphdogg4
09-25-2010, 03:26 PM
lol if anyone its' a sheep it's you, your just parroting everyone else about bringing the 6 sides back. Instead of throwing hissy fits like a little girl, try giving me some reasons why you thought the ring was better. Besides the fact that it looked different.

merhardt03
09-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I wont dignify u with a response. U can have ur traditional ring & argue wit curt henning & his prestigous AWA title when its about winning a major title in WWE. The truth will be told.

Murphdogg4
09-25-2010, 06:21 PM
I wont dignify u with a response. U can have ur traditional ring & argue wit curt henning & his prestigous AWA title when its about winning a major title in WWE. The truth will be told.

Relax kid it's just a pro wrestling board.

nrb6304
09-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Ok....what an akward thread this has become.....lol. ANYWAYS. I liked the 6 Sided Ring. WHY? Because it WAS different. It caught my eye. And I liked that. And in the early days of TNA and 6 Sided ring they did talk about how different it was and etc. So I DO miss the 6 sided ring plus the TNA 4 sided ring is quite.....small....or looks small and to be honest awkward. PLUS i remember the very first NWA-TNA ppv I ordered was The Naturals vs. AMW inside 6 sides of steel. That is something I will TRULEY miss. But complaining won't bring it back. :'(

AndyWonder
09-25-2010, 07:16 PM
the 6-sided ring looked weird.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-25-2010, 08:07 PM
I had no problem with the 6-sided ring. Sure it wasn't traditional, but TNA took that single step from the pack to be different from the other professional wrestling companies. It made them stand out an it made TNA's image. They had unique talent, unique storylines, etc. They weren't afraid to cross the line(That wasn't intended to be a pun). I know for a fact that the ring may never return. The Legendary Hulk Hogan told them (basically) that it sucked an that they should use a traditional ring. They would not want to bring it back after comments like that.

Necroyeti
09-25-2010, 08:31 PM
"Well you know, uh, the six sided ring, honestly, started off as a gimmick. It was, y'know, when we were stuggling so hard for some kind of an identity, uh, we thought "ooooh, what can get 'em to change the stop on the channel just long enough to question just what it is?". But, uh, the thought has been of late was to get back into more... "traditional wrestling". We were trying to embrace the fact that we're proud to be a wrestling company, and proud to be associated with wrestling and... and, and, quite honestly, all of our talent... all of them... I know people kinda bought into the whole marketing of "the six sided ring gives you more kinda.... moves, especially if you're an X-division wrestler", It's not true. Uh, but, y'know, they, they, y'know, you guys in the back, I mean they all learned how to wrestle in a four sided ring, that's what they love. Our guys are more traditionalist. And we just felt like, "hey listen, if we're gonna get back, if we're going to be the ones to step up and say "look, we're proud to be called a wrestling company, we're proud to be associated with wrestling", y'know what, let's be proud of the ring and, and, and, just go back to it.

Source: YouShoot LIVE: Dixie Carter (2010)
That wasn't a very good shoot interview, but I thought she covered the six sided ring issue pretty well.

Watch some AAA if yer really craving some six sides action... Beer Money, Hernandez and Abyss even made appearances in the last Triplemania.

IrkenInvader
09-25-2010, 10:32 PM
If you like the 6 sided or didn't, it doesn't matter. The differences are small and barely change the match dynamics. If you think that ring shape is the only thing that sets TNA apart from WWE then you don't see the bigger picture. What sets them apart is the style of wrestling and storylines. The "sheep" didn't change the ring shape, it was those old farts like Flair and Hogan who complained about the shape.

WWTNA
09-25-2010, 11:30 PM
i liked the six sided ring but the problem i had with the ring was that it was hard to work a tag match in threre i like the transitional ring TNA has now but it is small to me

Firebrand
09-25-2010, 11:47 PM
If you like the 6 sided or didn't, it doesn't matter. The differences are small and barely change the match dynamics. If you think that ring shape is the only thing that sets TNA apart from WWE then you don't see the bigger picture. What sets them apart is the style of wrestling and storylines. The "sheep" didn't change the ring shape, it was those old farts like Flair and Hogan who complained about the shape.

If you read some of the wrestlers comments on the ring, guys like Somoa Joe, Pope, Roode, Morgan, all said they preferred the 4 sided ring to the six sided. Even Aj Styles said the square ring was eaiser to preform in. So no, Flair and Hogan dident change the ring, it was going to happen either way. Most of the workers simply preferred the 4 sides to 6.

IrkenInvader
09-26-2010, 12:02 AM
If you read some of the wrestlers comments on the ring, guys like Somoa Joe, Pope, Roode, Morgan, all said they preferred the 4 sided ring to the six sided. Even Aj Styles said the square ring was eaiser to preform in. So no, Flair and Hogan dident change the ring, it was going to happen either way. Most of the workers simply preferred the 4 sides to 6.

If those guys had a say in the matter it would have changed years ago. I was just trying to get the piont across that it wasn't the "WWE sheep" that changed it like merhardt said.

SilverGhost
09-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I personally like the 6 sided ring that TNA had. Though I thought it was too small. If it was bigger then it wouldn't be much of a difference than a 4 sided ring.

IrkenInvader
09-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I personally like the 6 sided ring that TNA had. Though I thought it was too small. If it was bigger then it wouldn't be much of a difference than a 4 sided ring.

Yeah true, it was the same distance between opossing sides as WWE's but making it six sides cut off the corners. Larger ring means ropes aren't as tight so it would basically be the same as a 4 sided. I'm sure the wrestlers complaints about it were not just about the ropes, having that many directions to be hit from looks a little confusing. They gotta remember that they are going to be hit from this turnbuckle, and spin in this direction to make every thing line up right when the move happens.

SilverGhost
09-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah true, it was the same distance between opossing sides as WWE's but making it six sides cut off the corners. Larger ring means ropes aren't as tight so it would basically be the same as a 4 sided. I'm sure the wrestlers complaints about it were not just about the ropes, having that many directions to be hit from looks a little confusing. They gotta remember that they are going to be hit from this turnbuckle, and spin in this direction to make every thing line up right when the move happens.

Right. Practicing and knowing your way around a 6 sided ring shouldn't give any problems. If it was bigger, the the TNA guys wouldn't complain as much and we would still see the 6 sided ring now.

ctaz
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I do not miss it, it was probably meant to be a mix between the squared circle and the octagon. The first time we all saw that ring I bet all of us were like, wow, that is cool and then it wore off after a while. I give it an A for inventiveness but an F in functionality. It just did not work for true wrestling fans.

ecartertna
09-26-2010, 03:15 PM
the 4 sided ring does give tna some sincerity. the six sided ring was associated with the joking tna i mean they promoted a fishing rod match have to say though the cage just looks wiered with the 4 sides plus the impact zone is far too small

Tim
09-27-2010, 11:45 AM
I thought the six-sided ring was kind of gimmicky, although I could live with it. I do feel a bit nostalgic about it, though, as in my personal opinion, the changeover to the more traditional ring marks the time TNA took a turn for the worse

Enlgish_TNA4LYF_FAN
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
i liked the 6 sided ring it was something new BUT i saw TNA live in manchester england and it was tiny.
ppl like matt morgan, samoa joe abyss etc wd have difficulty performing comfortably

i think theres n0thin wrng wit the traditional 4 sides its the same bloody thing!

SilverGhost
09-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I was right on making the ring bigger. It did seem that it was small.

MarcusMiller84
09-28-2010, 02:16 AM
4 sides >>> 6 sides

SilverGhost
09-28-2010, 09:16 AM
4 sides >>> 6 sides

I don't know. It could be either way. In my opinion the 6 sides scream out high flying.

MarcusMiller84
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I've made a great blog entry last month, and it got deleted.

The 6 sided ring does NOTHING in any way, whatsoever, to enhance wrestling or matches.

The 6 sided ring takes the focus off of the match, and onto the ring. If you've watched TNA over the years, you've noticed countless times where wrestlers go to throw eachother to the ropes, and fuck up for just a second because they realize "oh yeah, diagonal".... It's dumb for tag team matches. The ring itself offers nothing, except a look. Hardly anybody used the middle turnbuckles. It's just awkward. It looked cool at times because of the similarity to the octagon.

I've seen all the arguments that it's better for the X Division and whatnot.

How? In all reality and reason.... does the 6 sided ring help? The only thing that helps the X Division, is when TNA pushes it. Which hasn't really been done since before 2007. Motor City MachineGuns and Beer Money had quite a fantastic set of X Division-TNA style matches.... with a 4 sided ring. In no way, would those have been any better with 6 sides.

The 6 sides of steel. I think that worked. It looked great. Sounds cool. Was different.

But since the traditional ring has been back, the cage they put on it looks pretty damn sweet, in my opinion. I love the black cage, and the look of it.

The 4 sided ring is back, the ramp got put back to normal, the roster is the best wrestling roster since 2002-2003...... I love it. The storylines need Some better focus. But all in all, TNA iMPACT! is the show I look forward to the most every week. I've been watched since the very first episode on Spike TV in 2005. And it's better now than ever. The storyline problem has always been there. Always. Always had that WCW approach, too much going on at one time, no true focus, but every now and then they get a gem. But the matches, roster, and overall product = Great. And 4 sides makes it that much better to watch as a Wrestling program.

SilverGhost
09-28-2010, 11:24 PM
I never said that it enhances wrestling ability (assuming that is towards a few including myself) I was just saying that it made TNA stand out. TNA guys should have practiced numerous time to get the feeling of the 6 sided ring. My theory is that if the 6 sided ring was bigger, there would be less screw ups between the TNA guys, no matter what weight class.

If I was a wrestler, I would spar with a fellow wrestler to understand the environment of the 6 sided ring.

Murphdogg4
09-30-2010, 08:23 PM
I just crack up everytime I read a post about fixing TNA always ends with bring back the 6 sides. The wrestlers even the X guys prefer the four sided ring. Instead Tna should fire Russo and bring back the X division in style

IrkenInvader
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I just crack up everytime I read a post about fixing TNA always ends with bring back the 6 sides. The wrestlers even the X guys prefer the four sided ring. Instead Tna should fire Russo and bring back the X division in style

Thats the best thing for them to do. The 6 sided ring would help them stand out as an alternative to WWE, but the X division would stand out even more. Russo can't come up with a new storyline to save his life, its all just the same rehashed crap.

SilverGhost
09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Thats the best thing for them to do. The 6 sided ring would help them stand out as an alternative to WWE, but the X division would stand out even more. Russo can't come up with a new storyline to save his life, its all just the same rehashed crap.

I agree with this.

Murphdogg4
10-05-2010, 03:55 AM
I'll never understand why Russo still has a job. He took credit for attitude era and then failed horribly in WCW and has done nothing in TNA. He must be one hell of a backstage politician.