PDA

View Full Version : And You Thought Cole Was Bad - Ladies & Gentlemen, I Give You - Matt Striker!!!

Robstar
09-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I truly thought I liked Matt Striker's announcing. I felt certain that in time, he'd iron out the kinks and find his own stride. I was convinced that he would one day be the voice of WWE. And hey, all those things might still one day happen. But 2 things happened in the past few days that have given me a new perspective.

One was I participated in a discussion here about Good Ol' JR and the other was watching this weeks Smackdown.

The discussion made me appreciate what we had with JR and his ability to sell the action and make you feel involved. As someone on that forum put it so aptly, you just don't know what you have got until it's gone. So it was with this in mind when watching Smackdown and listening to Striker, I came to realise just how large JR's shadow looms. People bag Cole but listening to Matt Striker I realised the only thing he's selling is himself.

I used to find Striker's knowledge of wrestling and quirky anecdotes and jibes quite entertaining, only to now hear that he's more interested in being heard than translating the action to the viewer; he never lets you forget that you are listening to Matt Striker calling a match and he knows stuff. He's not selling me what's happening right in front of me and while I'm a big boy and can work it out for myself, it made me long for JR's natural gift for making us all a part of the show.

Matt Striker - DO YOUR JOB!!! Quit making Smackdown your own personal radio show. Don't you get enough of the spotlight on NXT? But wait - you try and steal that too! While being in the invaluable position where you might actually help new talent, you manage to not help - actively hindering the rookies on many occasions.

Thoughts? :confused:

IPEEINTHESHOWER
09-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Since this is a discussion, allow me to give you some of my thoughts on this matter. First, no one will ever replace JR he simply was that damn good at his job. Matt Striker is doing his job. It's hard to make cupcakes out of horse shit and that's what he has to do every Tuesday on NXT. His knowledge of wrestling is just awesome. Most importantly he has an earpiece on and he say's what he is told to say. Last but not least, this is a dog eat dog world, you have to sell yourself and simply put if he upsets you, it shows you care so in the end that is all that matters. And i think you forget my friend that when he was rasslin he was a heel teacher so in other words he is so good at what he is doing you fail to realize he is the same heel teacher persona he has always been. can i add you to my facebook friend.hahahahahah

Necroyeti
09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't have much to say, except that I personally like Matt Stiker's style and his obscure wrestling/pop culture references.

Here's what good ol' JR has to say about Striker. (http://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/9506503184) Dunno who Bobby Knight is, but I'm sure it's a compliment.

Robstar
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
I just get frustrated because I know he has all the natural ability in the world without the necessary focus. But I guess he's the heel role/colour commentator and it's mainly Grisham's job to do the play by play

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Matt Striker has his moments, but what gets under my skin is that NONE of the commentators are completely focused on the match. For example; One time Dolph Ziggler was going up against Kane.. During that match they were talking about Big Show, Straight Edge Society, Jack Swagger, and through out that entire match they only call a neck breaker, and a sleeper hold. That just isn't right..

eyehatecena
09-24-2010, 09:32 PM
I have to agree with the shower peeing guy, lol.They are just doing what they are told to do. As great as JR is, he was having to do the same thing- talk about other crap other than whats going on in the ring.

djsoulslayer
09-25-2010, 01:08 AM
I like Striker but sometimes he just makes me cringe from an adjective overdose. I think he just tries too hard.

Splattered-Dreams
09-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I like Striker but sometimes he just makes me cringe from an adjective overdose. I think he just tries too hard.

a bit like coach

jethro
09-25-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm fine by his style of commentating,sometimes he mentioned some of wrestlers name outside wwe like Kobashi and I thought wwe prohibited mentioning certain wrestlers.

Robstar
09-25-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm fine by his style of commentating,sometimes he mentioned some of wrestlers name outside wwe like Kobashi and I thought wwe prohibited mentioning certain wrestlers.

I love it when he does this. Some people make it sound as if everything they say is fed through the headphones - not so. They do get a chance to improvise and Striker just happens to be very good at that, since he has such an extensive knowledge of the business. "Adjective overdose" - that's the name for it!!! Well put. Also, how often is Vince in the gorilla position? Is it Laurinitis who does Smackdown?

Necroyeti
09-25-2010, 07:11 PM
I tapped when he name checked puroresu yesterday. I love Striker.

AndyWonder
09-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Matt Striker I think is too monotone. H ekeeps the same voice the whole time and does not seem to show genuine shock in his voice to make surprises "actual" surprises. Like when Christian returned to TV in February 2009 after an absense of over 3 years. If anyone watching it did not already know of his return, their suprise of his return might have been ruined when Matt Striker spoke. No excitement in his voice at all, he acted like it was not a return at all, as if Christian had been there every week.

SilverGhost
09-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Striker isn't that bad. Sure there are somethings he needs to work out, but overall he is a tolerant guy. I would prefer Striker than Cole.

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
09-26-2010, 11:10 AM
i like striker but he does have his moments of being annoying now and again but he has a style which i like hes the best commentator in wwe right now coles has sucked ever since jbl left the announce table, lawler just seems like a confused old man these days, and grisham and matthews are ok they are taking over from cole as best play by play guys and bring back jr too

macstar77
09-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm sick of him, just hate the way he has to go into depth on moves like why they done it, what it's called and how innovatitive it is, the guy loves the sound of his own voice!!

SilverGhost
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Striker, Grisham, and Matthews are good at commentating. Sure they aren't JR and the King but they are ok.

el gabo
09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Never really liked Striker that much because of so many God damn adjectives. He wants to look like Webster's dictionary sometimes. He should cut down on some of those. The wreslting facts are entertaining to me. Thing is TOO much of ANYTHing is bad. I really started hating him in this year's WM inthe Shawn/taker match he totally blew it when Shawn was going to flip from the top rope onto Taker, he said "but what can he do?" totally telling what Shawn was going to do before he was going to do it. Jerry Lawler gave him a look like (wtf did you just do man?) Just annoying sometimes, no wonder Jerry and Michael can't stand him.

Tommy Thunder
09-26-2010, 06:34 PM
I like Striker, don't see why anyone is comparing him to JR. There is only one JR, and no-one will ever replace him (same with HBK/Morrison comparisons. Only one HBK, Morrison will be John Morrison!). Striker and Grisham are the best pairing in WWE atm. Cole is just poor (hope they take him off commentary and make him the GM). Mathews is good too, really like him on NXT (if they make Cole the GM, hope he gets the seat with King on RAW, unless they bring back JR). Striker hasn't been doing this long, just a few years. Sure he's not going to be JR, Ventura, Heyman, JBL etc, but he's doing a decent job imo.

Robstar
11-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Wow, at least 2 different fonts and/or colours used in this thread! We were adventurous back in the day! ;)

Cabers
11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
And striker still sucks haha

magglis
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
And striker still sucks haha
And that weak mustache :p

johnnydropkicks
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I don't think Cole is bad. Cole is really good. Anyone who thinks Cole isn't really good is just drinking the JR BBQ sauce way too hard.

Pumpkinhead
11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
No love for Striker and Cole??, I think both make a wonderful job

wrestlingfan66513
11-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Not a fan of Striker but I do like Cole.