PDA

View Full Version : Will ROH overcome TNA and become the number two promotion in the country?

Murphdogg4
05-24-2011, 03:17 AM
If the new owners or ROH's plan of getting them syndicated around the country works and they get into as many markets as TNA anybody think they WON'T become the number two company in america? There are allot of if's and it will take awhile but if they do eventually get national exposure I don't see how TNA could fend them off. Their logical booking mixed with production even without major names I think they would easily beat TNA. Maybe if that happened Dixe would finally fire Russo.

Of course this could only happen if ROH's new owners really will do what they say they are going to do and get ROH in as many markets as the big two.

I did some more research on the new owners and it looks like they are only in twenty two states. Though they do have plans to try and get ROH syndicated to other tv stations around the country and internationally.

tittle97
05-24-2011, 03:20 AM
I hope so. Really excited about them getting national exposure. They need some time though.

Murphdogg4
05-24-2011, 03:29 AM
tittle I'm excited as well, I've been reading more about it in the observer and they will only be on in a few markets at first so your right it looks like it will take a while. I do think with the right exposure they would become more popular then TNA because they present wrestling in a more serious less cheesy way then TNA or WWE. And what allot of fans want is a true alternative to WWE, something that we will never get from TNA as long as Russo is involved

Daffy Duck's Finest
05-24-2011, 04:06 AM
ROH has a good chance of challenging TNA for second spot, especially if they market their brand on old school wrestling. This would differentiate them from others in the market.

monctonvike
05-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Right now Roh, is as far away from tna, as tna is from the wwe. They have always done nice house show numbers, but when they had a tv contract they were getting 20 thousand ppl tuning in. Now they have a better tv, deal the next part of there plan is to hire ex wwe employee's as the network wants them to. What time they get put on will, make a huge difference. TNA is available in over 100 countries they even beat the wwe in some of those. How many countries will roh be available in?

Now they can build threre brand, market it get some ex wwe talent for face value. CM punk might be the first big name to go there. I thought he might be considering TNA, when reports came out that he is burned out, and not signing a new contract as the youth movement passed him by. Punk loves roh he still stops by there all the time depending on the schedule, I could see him abandoning the wwe for roh. I can say with this with this tv deal, after 9 years of existance, they are on there way to being number 3 in the world. From there they are looking up a TNA and anything is possible

Necroyeti
05-24-2011, 06:39 AM
Resident ROHbot here - I think it'll be a hard thing to predict whether it will be successful at all, never mind overcome TNA. (And even that would take a couple of years, I'd say)

On one hand, although it's not as gloriously awesome as it once was, it still completely blows WWE and TNA out of the water quality-wise... and with the increased production and management changes involved in the deal, it looks like it will only improve. Also, it's fair to say that most wrestling fans are at least aware of what ROH is, (guys like Danielson, Bourne, Punk and McGuinness have and probably always will be associated with the company) so I don't see why many won't give it a chance. I've lost count of people I've seen who've said something along the lines of "I would watch ROH but can't/don't know how", and with TV and free (IIRC) streaming, they have no excuse. And I'm pretty confident that people who have never seen the likes of Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Davey Richards, Roderick Strong, El Generico, etc do their thing in the ring will be won over.

On the other hand, perhaps not. I mean, although ROH on HDNet was a pretty great show with a decent online following, it did have some REALLY naff episodes in retrospect. Especially around the time they signed Mike Bennett, for a few weeks the show resembled more of a feeder league for the likes of Grizzly Redwood, Andy Ridge, The Bravados, etc. rather than a representation of what Ring of Honor actually is. Furthermore, it will be interesting to see what the casual WWE/TNA fan reaction is to the product.... considering it IS far more heavily centered on "wrestling" and strong-style than sports entertainment, and will likely still look a bit rough around the edges even with a bigger budget.

In the end though, I think it will really test whether TNA's idea of building most of their company around signing/pushing guys who were big names in another decade/company to the limit. Should be interesting. Hopefully the increased competition will force 'em to pull their finger out and try actual revolutionary ideas to better the company, rather than this whole lazy-ass IMPACT WRESTLING smoke and mirrors. I also wonder what will happen with the TNA-ROH talent exchange program now.

Rassling_Fan
05-24-2011, 06:40 AM
If ROH gets treated well and have a better TV Deal (I would have watched ROH if I had their channel) they could have gotten better ratings.

Shelton and Haas are already in ROH so WWE Named people are there. And Punk and Danielson (as well as Styles, the Fallen Angel and Joe) made their names in ROH so this could be a better offer to them if they wish to go elsewhere.

Given a chance, I think they could beat TNA in ratings within a year.

Nay_Than
05-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Technically they are already #2 in the country.

TNA 'The very best'
05-24-2011, 07:22 AM
After months of no remembering my password, this thread has made me re set it.

Am I the only one who remembers that TNA started off as a Wrestling company with wrestlers not many people had herd of and not just a bunch of old WWE stars, ok they Had Jimmy Hart, Double JJ and a couple of others but it was mainly about the wrestling with wrestlers no one had herd off.

TNA has screwed up over some of the decisions they have made over the years but getting big names in from WWE past has mainly been down to pressure from the Networks ( no, not foley) to get well known faces on the TV to Boost the Ratings. Exactly the same will happen to ROH,

P.S im not bashing ROh i would love to see them do well and take second spot,. and get a TV deal in the UK.

tshizzy34
05-24-2011, 07:47 AM
.......Yes!

68wPayne
05-24-2011, 08:11 AM
ROH is great, so don't get me wrong by anything I say. ROH won't be the number 2 IMO because though they have better wrestlers for the most part and a huge cult following that is probably bigger than ECW's in its heyday, they don't really have any storylines. There are a few great storylines like the Kevin Steen vs. El Generico but it seems like (I had only watched ROH for about a year before they pulled it off HDNet so I may be wrong) most of their storylines was Guy Number 1 vs. Guy Number 2 over the belt. Most of their programming was composed of good matches. I am just curious to see how alot of the guys can do with their acting when they are against TNA or even WWE on the national scale of things.

Rassling_Fan
05-24-2011, 09:17 AM
TNA has screwed up over some of the decisions they have made over the years but getting big names in from WWE past has mainly been down to pressure from the Networks ( no, not foley) to get well known faces on the TV to Boost the Ratings. Exactly the same will happen to ROH,

Though there is a big difference. The big names they may get were already established in ROH. CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Matt Syndal, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe for example were already big names in ROH before moving to WWE or TNA. It would be less getting WWE/TNA Rejects and more "bringing them back home".

SilverGhost
05-24-2011, 09:43 AM
ROH is great, so don't get me wrong by anything I say. ROH won't be the number 2 IMO because though they have better wrestlers for the most part and a huge cult following that is probably bigger than ECW's in its heyday, they don't really have any storylines. There are a few great storylines like the Kevin Steen vs. El Generico but it seems like (I had only watched ROH for about a year before they pulled it off HDNet so I may be wrong) most of their storylines was Guy Number 1 vs. Guy Number 2 over the belt. Most of their programming was composed of good matches. I am just curious to see how alot of the guys can do with their acting when they are against TNA or even WWE on the national scale of things.

I think they can handle without storylines. The wrestling is the entertainment. Unlike TNA, ROH is where wrestling matters.

Necroyeti
05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
they don't really have any storylines.
This is a gross misconception, tbh.

TNA 'The very best'
05-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Though there is a big difference. The big names they may get were already established in ROH. CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Matt Syndal, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe for example were already big names in ROH before moving to WWE or TNA. It would be less getting WWE/TNA Rejects and more "bringing them back home".

Agreed but unless they get fired from WWE or TNA i dont see many of them going back to ROH,. Well not in the near future, In 5/10 years time maybe ROH will be up there with them both but they need to put a hell of a lot of work in, it wont be an over night thing.

Tommy Thunder
05-24-2011, 10:47 AM
ROH has huge potential. It certainly does have the potential to overcome TNA as the no.2 company, especially with the way TNA are going about doing business!!

jordan1995
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
i just hope we get roh on tv in the uk

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM
It all depends on if they get anything else out of the buy-out????
Really not right now with a syndication deal, Ring of Honor is still lacking a cable deal..... As I said in another post being in a syndication deal, could mean crappy air time..... They could be stuck in the middle of the night on the weekends or pre-emitted by other sports....

But this is a step in the right direction for ROH, their parent company Sinclar needs to do several things.
1. Shop for a cable channel to carry ROH.
2. Hire outside talent ex WWE and TNA talent as well as new and upcoming indy stars..
3. Decide what kind of tapings they going to do arena tapings, or go to some kind of studio...
4. Hire more to deal with productions, maybe and creative process....

Maybe in 2 or 3 years ROH will be at the level Impact if not sooner, if all come together????

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Most of them broke through or was establish elsewhere.....

Rassling_Fan
05-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Agreed but unless they get fired from WWE or TNA i dont see many of them going back to ROH,.
With Punk rumors about him not being happy in the WWE and most of TNA's excuses of "other than the WWE this is the only one with TV time", may sweeten the offer...

Most of them broke through or was establish elsewhere.....
Samoa Joe was Ring of Honor for 5 years, with three of them while being in TNA. In fact, Styles and Daniels did double duty for TNA and ROH. Punk and Danielsons have won the world title there and every one of them have won a title in ROH. So while they were established elsewhere, they have a history of being with ROH (kind of like Jeff Hardy return to TNA after winning the WWE title, established in the WWE but had a history with TNA).

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
With Punk rumors about him not being happy in the WWE and most of TNA's excuses of "other than the WWE this is the only one with TV time", may sweeten the offer...

Samoa Joe was Ring of Honor for 5 years, with three of them while being in TNA. In fact, Styles and Daniels did double duty for TNA and ROH. Punk and Danielsons have won the world title there and every one of them have won a title in ROH. So while they were established elsewhere, they have a history of being with ROH (kind of like Jeff Hardy return to TNA after winning the WWE title, established in the WWE but had a history with TNA).

Talking before ROH.... Joe actually came from PWG, AJ was in NWA promotions...

buzzkillington
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
We all know ROH has the talent to overtake TNA, the only real question is will ROH be allowed to be ROH. I would expect Sinclair knew exactly what they were buying (a sports-entertainment company that values the sports aspect of their product just as much as, if not more than the entertainment aspect). I think that ROH has the potential to win back some wrestling fans who've converted exclusively to MMA with their hard hitting, gritty, realistic style. Guys like Hero, Richards, Edwards, Strong, and Castagnoli should be able to hook new fans just based on their ability alone, while guys like Cabana, Daniels, the Briscoes, Jacobs, and Generico should be able to get over based on a combination of talent and character. There's going to be room to bring more guys in (returns of Steen, Aries, Omega, and the already returning Jay Lethal are all going to help). There's a lot of growth potential with the product as is, if the ratings are to Sinclair's liking initially. In any case, by month two ROH TV will make TNA look like the garbage it is.

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
We all know ROH has the talent to overtake TNA, the only real question is will ROH be allowed to be ROH. I would expect Sinclair knew exactly what they were buying (a sports-entertainment company that values the sports aspect of their product just as much as, if not more than the entertainment aspect). I think that ROH has the potential to win back some wrestling fans who've converted exclusively to MMA with their hard hitting, gritty, realistic style. Guys like Hero, Richards, Edwards, Strong, and Castagnoli should be able to hook new fans just based on their ability alone, while guys like Cabana, Daniels, the Briscoes, Jacobs, and Generico should be able to get over based on a combination of talent and character. There's going to be room to bring more guys in (returns of Steen, Aries, Omega, and the already returning Jay Lethal are all going to help). There's a lot of growth potential with the product as is, if the ratings are to Sinclair's liking initially. In any case, by month two ROH TV will make TNA look like the garbage it is.

The only thing is I doubt that in 2 months that will happen... Cause their a huge difference between syndication TV and cable TV..... Most likely it will be station to station choice of when it is carried..... ROH will be very far off from overtaking TNA/Impact and WWE unless they get a cable deal as well....

buzzkillington
05-24-2011, 08:40 PM
The only thing is I doubt that in 2 months that will happen... Cause their a huge difference between syndication TV and cable TV..... Most likely it will be station to station choice of when it is carried..... ROH will be very far off from overtaking TNA/Impact and WWE unless they get a cable deal as well....

When I said two months, I just meant that in that time the quality of the ROH programing will overtake the quality of the TNA programming.

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
When I said two months, I just meant that in that time the quality of the ROH programing will overtake the quality of the TNA programming.

It will overtake WWE TV programming in quality as well put on.....

Master BaTor
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
ROH doesn't have the money behind them that tna does. no way this happens without the right tv deal

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
ROH doesn't have the money behind them that tna does. no way this happens without the right tv deal

With Sinclair Broadcasting they do.....

Murphdogg4
05-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Anybody know if the weekly Roh is back on Youtube? ROHbrazil was showing it ever week on his channel but HDNEt made him take it off.

Necroyeti
05-28-2011, 03:28 AM
Anybody know if the weekly Roh is back on Youtube? ROHbrazil was showing it ever week on his channel but HDNEt made him take it off.
It'll be streaming on their website for free once it starts again

Murphdogg4
06-01-2011, 03:03 AM
[QUOTE=Necroyeti;148363]It'll be streaming on their website for free once it starts again[/QUOT

thanks, I heard it's in october. Am I the only one that thinks ROH needs some power wrestlers?

the-rocks-stunner
06-01-2011, 05:53 PM
It'll be streaming on their website for free once it starts again[/QUOT

thanks, I heard it's in october. Am I the only one that thinks ROH needs some power wrestlers?

no me too :)

Murphdogg4
06-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Can't wait to see what they do..Hell a weekly cornette interview alone would be worth watching.

brewer314
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM

CM Punk just beat John Cena, I'm sure WWE will make him happy, and ntm I doubt ROH could "pay tha man" anything close to what he makes now.

Deuce
06-17-2011, 04:08 PM
RoH has about the same chance of overtaking TNA as TNA does of overtaking WWE. I really like what RoH has been able to do, as do many "smart" wrestling fans. The problem, though, was kinda coined by Eric Bischoff. We're just 10% of wrestling fans. Those other 90% are who drives the market.

They won't get RoH's style. They won't get their storylines. They won't get their wrestlers. They won't even get the few extra rules they've got that nobody else does. It won't be accepted, and it'll flounder for quite some time before taking off...if it ever takes off.

I hope they can surpass TNA to give us a viable second option, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Or at all, really.

Murphdogg4
06-21-2011, 04:25 AM
RoH has about the same chance of overtaking TNA as TNA does of overtaking WWE. I really like what RoH has been able to do, as do many "smart" wrestling fans. The problem, though, was kinda coined by Eric Bischoff. We're just 10% of wrestling fans. Those other 90% are who drives the market.

They won't get RoH's style. They won't get their storylines. They won't get their wrestlers. They won't even get the few extra rules they've got that nobody else does. It won't be accepted, and it'll flounder for quite some time before taking off...if it ever takes off.

I hope they can surpass TNA to give us a viable second option, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Or at all, really.

all it will take is getting into enough houses, in ROH wrestling actually really does matter, and fans are freakin STARVING for old school logical athletic wrestling!

Murphdogg4
06-21-2011, 04:26 AM
also bisch is wayyyyyyyyyyyy off on his numbers about the IWC, he's stuck in the 90's, most wrestling fans check sites like these for news. He's thinking more of the IWC back in the mid 90's where a small minority of fans complained that guys like Malenko weren't getting pushed, the IWC has become more maintream now by far.

Necroyeti
06-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Press conference is today innit
http://i.imgur.com/gexr9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hxwDz.jpg

WWTNA Mark
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
If ROH gets treated well and have a better TV Deal (I would have watched ROH if I had their channel) they could have gotten better ratings.

Shelton and Haas are already in ROH so WWE Named people are there. And Punk and Danielson (as well as Styles, the Fallen Angel and Joe) made their names in ROH so this could be a better offer to them if they wish to go elsewhere.

Given a chance, I think they could beat TNA in ratings within a year.

A bit of an overstatement there. Whether you like TNA or not, they set themselves as the #2 company in the industry today. Not taking credit away from ROH but if they want to overcome TNA as the #2 company, then they say about 2-3 years worth of marketing. I doubt it will take a year...

WWTNA Mark
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Press conference is today innit
http://i.imgur.com/gexr9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hxwDz.jpg

Thats awesome!

SilverGhost
06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
A bit of an overstatement there. Whether you like TNA or not, they set themselves as the #2 company in the industry today. Not taking credit away from ROH but if they want to overcome TNA as the #2 company, then they say about 2-3 years worth of marketing. I doubt it will take a year...

1 year if TNA does mess up.

2-3 if TNA remains decent but even that is a short amount of time.

Rassling_Fan
06-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Looked at their planned listings. Sucks because I live in Brooklyn.

WWTNA Mark
06-24-2011, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZumLXraa0U&feature=player_embedded#at=13

Necroyeti
06-24-2011, 09:35 PM
God damn, I had forgotten how fucking useless Kevin Kelly is.

Hopefully they're keeping Dave Prazak employed, and teaming him up with... well, anyone who isn't KK.

SilverGhost
06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
God damn, I had forgotten how fucking useless Kevin Kelly is.

Hopefully they're keeping Dave Prazak employed, and teaming him up with... well, anyone who isn't KK.

I was like "Hey! Is that guy who picked his nose! xD"

HCollins-TNA1
06-25-2011, 10:53 AM
all it will take is getting into enough houses, in ROH wrestling actually really does matter, and fans are freakin STARVING for old school logical athletic wrestling!

Actually it will also take a good cable TV deal..... Syndication isn't the best thing.... with syndication TV one have to worry about the show be preemtted to later start time, over other shows....It is a good thing to have exposure.... or as much as they can get.... I myself hope they succed and I hope they are looking for a cable channel as well... for another show...

HCollins-TNA1
06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
also bisch is wayyyyyyyyyyyy off on his numbers about the IWC, he's stuck in the 90's, most wrestling fans check sites like these for news. He's thinking more of the IWC back in the mid 90's where a small minority of fans complained that guys like Malenko weren't getting pushed, the IWC has become more maintream now by far.

Actually Bischoff is not off on his numbers..... Although he was metothorical speaking with the numbers.....
I would expect the numbers differ from time to time and periods... with certain age groups.... Not everyone owns or have daily access to a computer, that watches wrestling... Not every wrestling fan is on the Internet.....

HCollins-TNA1
06-25-2011, 11:01 AM

How can they beat TNa in ratings?????
TNA is on cable TV and get nearly 2 million viewers a week.....
ROH will be on Syndication TV and will get maybe few 100, per market.....

HCollins-TNA1
06-25-2011, 11:06 AM
1 year if TNA does mess up.

2-3 if TNA remains decent but even that is a short amount of time.

They need a lucerative Cable deal before they can over pass TNA as the #2 wrestling company in the world..... Syndication TV want cut it.....

SilverGhost
06-26-2011, 09:28 AM
They need a lucerative Cable deal before they can over pass TNA as the #2 wrestling company in the world..... Syndication TV want cut it.....

HCollins.

I'm pretty sure Sinclair Broadcast Group is a great start for ROH. Sure ROH is still young for it but the way TNA is going, its just a matter of time.(Even if TNA does a decent job, TNA is still TNA and the unnecessary will happen time and time again.)

HCollins-TNA1
06-26-2011, 11:26 AM
HCollins.

I'm pretty sure Sinclair Broadcast Group is a great start for ROH. Sure ROH is still young for it but the way TNA is going, its just a matter of time.(Even if TNA does a decent job, TNA is still TNA and the unnecessary will happen time and time again.)

I agree to a certain point here......
But right now TNA got the better deal between the two companies.... Being on cable TV, garnering nearly 2 million viewers a week... ROH has room to grow, but being on syndication TV, one can only wonder what the numbers in each market will be come September 24... I for-sure you it want be in the millions..... It might not even be above 500,000.....
Only time will tell what can or will happen right now...