PDA

View Full Version : Sinclair buys ROH, A new dog in the Pound

dmt4life
05-22-2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Sinclair_Broadcasting_Issues_Statement_On_ROH.php

I so hope they live up to this statement, this is Turner with WCW all over again in the early 90's, big company with money and the means to show off their product, I am so hoping they go straight after WWE after getting a set TV schedule going

HCollins-TNA1
05-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Glad someone started a thread.... This deserves it own thread.... Not be tied into the main ROH thread....

Anyway it a good thing for wrestling getting a major company buying and backing it now..... Hopefully will lead to bigger things??? Maybe Sinclair will find a Cable channel for ROH as well, beside the syndicated shows???
Maybe a good time to be a wrestling fan!!!!!

SnaggleTooth
05-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Woo-hoo! ROH vs TNA TV wars!

68wPayne
05-23-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm just disappointed that according to that list that was on the main page Sinclair doesn't have an affiliate out of Memphis.

thejman93
05-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm just disappointed that according to that list that was on the main page Sinclair doesn't have an affiliate out of Memphis.

Or out of Philly....:( Still, I'm really excited to see what ROH can do with proper backing.

dmt4life
05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
I wouldnt worry to much, Sinclair plans to do web broadcasts as well, and if ROH can build on this potential you'll probably see channels in your areas piggy back onto Sinclair affiliates to get in on the action

as for ROH vs TNA, TNA will get eaten alive due to its current focus and direction, not to mention half of its promising young crop of stars have two way deals between TNA and ROH

SnaggleTooth
05-23-2011, 04:57 PM
... as for ROH vs TNA, TNA will get eaten alive due to its current focus and direction, not to mention half of its promising young crop of stars have two way deals between TNA and ROH

More (televised) competition = better products. I'm not hoping for any wrestling company to fail, but this will force bad products to become better or they'll die.

buzzkillington
05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
I'd say within 18 months, ROH will be able to double their sindication, if the product is a hit in the markets that it gets carried in. I have a feeling that they might try to market it more like UFC then WWE or TNA, which could help it grow. I have really, really high hopes, but only time will tell.

I do think there is an interesting question burred in all of this though. Did Cary sell ROH because it was no longer profitable and/or it was losing money, or because he wanted the product to grow and he didn't have the assets to do it?

HCollins-TNA1
05-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Only thing I see wrong is it only a syndication deal.... meaning the head/GM of each station will choose when and where it comes on..... also with other sports trumping over the show... Say one channel will have it at 1 on Saturdays... say come the fall with college football it will be pre-emitted and not showed or push back to a late night time slot on weekends....
I just hope they have more plans for ROH hopefully shop for a decent cable channel to broadcast it as well or produce a second show...

Automatic
05-24-2011, 04:11 AM
Is Sinclair a big company in the States?

samoan619
05-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Is Sinclair a big company in the States?

I did some research on them, they are a big enough company to provide to mainly the east coast of the states.. The only state in the west that they provide for is Nevada.. So they are big in certain regions but not BIG to the point where they touch every market.. Also the states of Arizona, Illinois, and California dont exist on their market maps, instead they are replaced with states called "we will destroy this one", "that one", and "the portapotty state".. Im kidding about the maps lolol..
Here's their website: www.sbgi.net

Bodom
05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
There's a pretty interesting article on this here: http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/5/24/2188289/sinclair-broadcast-group-stock-nosedives-8-76-due-to-roh-purchase

Most notably for this

She estimated that the purchase price was under $10 million

Vince purchased WCW for 4.3 million. Think about that.

buzzkillington
05-25-2011, 08:48 PM
There's a pretty interesting article on this here: http://www.cagesideseats.com/2011/5/24/2188289/sinclair-broadcast-group-stock-nosedives-8-76-due-to-roh-purchase

Most notably for this

Vince purchased WCW for 4.3 million. Think about that.

Its kind of comparing apples and oranges. WCW was the definition of a fire sale. It was a broken product losing fan support that had no backing from the corporation that controlled it. ROH is a company that at the very least is in the black, with a growing fan base. Its still impressive to think about though.

Grind_Bastard
05-27-2011, 08:18 AM
I did some research on them, they are a big enough company to provide to mainly the east coast of the states.. The only state in the west that they provide for is Nevada.. So they are big in certain regions but not BIG to the point where they touch every market.. Also the states of Arizona, Illinois, and California dont exist on their market maps, instead they are replaced with states called "we will destroy this one", "that one", and "the portapotty state".. Im kidding about the maps lolol..
Here's their website: www.sbgi.net

So, according to this, is Eric Bischoff not too biased about ROH?: http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Eric_Bischoff_Speaks_Out_-_Impact_Wrestling_S.php

Ring of Honor's sale to Sinclair Broadcasting? Bischoff said he will get a lot of heat for saying this, and he has nothing against Ring of Honor and wishes them the best as it is nice for talent to have different places to work. That being said, he says people are kidding themselves. He said Sinclair is like 20 television stations with 22% market penetration in the United States. 22% means you don't exist from an advertiser's point of view. It means Nielsen doesn't track you as a network. From a pay-per-view standpoint, it won't register on the Richter scale and that is assuming they get clearing in 20 television stations. He says it's good that RoH has something. He said people are getting excited for a lot of nothing. The syndicated television market is not what it was 15-20 years ago. People back then used to migrate to Vegas for an executive convention and tens of millions of dollars were spent by syndicators/producers, with bands from around the world brought in. Now, it takes part in a lobby in a hotel in Vegas. He says while syndication is not dead, it's just not what it was 15-20 years ago.

As I'm not american, I'd like to have a little explanation about it.

HCollins-TNA1
05-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Its kind of comparing apples and oranges. WCW was the definition of a fire sale. It was a broken product losing fan support that had no backing from the corporation that controlled it. ROH is a company that at the very least is in the black, with a growing fan base. Its still impressive to think about though.

Actually WCW it was being made to look like a broken product.... They still had 2 or 3 million fans watching Nitro and Thunder weekly, and was pulling ratings in the 2.5s to 3.0s... Sure the company wasn't behind the product.... Which is why it was sold so cheap... which if you add certain talent contracts in that WWE required then it wasn't sold that cheap!!!! I would it cost WWE maybe $5 million to bring in the guys Booker T, Hurricane, Arn Anderson, Torrie Wilson, Stacey Keibler, Lance Storm, Hugh Morris, Buff Bagwell and DDP, and etc????

But one would have to question why ROH was sold??? I hope it does become a top player in wrestling myself.... Hope to see it with a better TV deal...

HCollins-TNA1
05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
So, according to this, is Eric Bischoff not too biased about ROH?: http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/headlines/Eric_Bischoff_Speaks_Out_-_Impact_Wrestling_S.php

As I'm not american, I'd like to have a little explanation about it.
Bischoff pretty much saying the ROH product will be controlled by the stations it self... Some will give ROH a good time slot, others will give ROH a time slot less appealing....

With Syndication TV here in the states, it more less shows that is cheaply produced, or TV reruns that is set to fill a certain time slot.... Hope that helps....

wrestlingfan316
06-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I wish ROH would come to a channel people actually get. They went from a channel nobody gets to a company that only has 15-20 channels in the US and those channels are limited to the cities they are in . So almost nobody still gets it.

At least they have it on the internet this time. I hope they put it up on the internet after it is done broadcasting since I guarantee I'll probably be working 90% of the time it is on.

NiFe628
06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
I wish ROH would come to a channel people actually get. They went from a channel nobody gets to a company that only has 15-20 channels in the US and those channels are limited to the cities they are in . So almost nobody still gets it.

At least they have it on the internet this time. I hope they put it up on the internet after it is done broadcasting since I guarantee I'll probably be working 90% of the time it is on.

You have to understand, it's a work in progress. I mean, atleast they are going to be on in some home. Some enough to where it might give them just enough exposure to appeal to national outlets.