PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Thread

MarcusMiller84
08-12-2010, 08:14 PM
This is a general discussion of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal stuff. It can range from mainstream MTV radio hot topic whatever.... to so dark and br00tal in your grandmothers basement black metal.

Upcoming shows, shows you've been to, new albums, new bands, favorite genre, whatever.

It doesn't matter if it's Green Day or Kreator.

Necroyeti
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Every single metal fan should own a copy of Through Silver in Blood by Neurosis, utterly essential.

I've been listening to a lot of funeral doom metal lately (Ahab, Esoteric, diSEMBOWELMENT, Asunder, doom:vs... that kinda stuff), but I feel silly for only recently discovering Morbid Saint - truly legendary thrash metal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14btYfUBpoI

Necroyeti
08-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Ultra-bump.

What do y'all reckon the worst metal bands ever are? I vote Woods of Ypres and Shining (the Swedish one)

Bodom
08-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Off the top of my head:

Killswitch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch, and Disturbed.

IrkenInvader
08-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Off the top of my head:

I counter that those two aren't metal.

Bodom
08-18-2011, 09:03 PM
You can't say that Five Finger isn't metal and imply that Killswitch is.

Pumpkinhead
08-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Ultra-bump.

What do y'all reckon the worst metal bands ever are? I vote Woods of Ypres and Shining (the Swedish one)

Dying Fetus...

Bodom
08-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Forgot Black Dhalia Murder.

68wPayne
08-18-2011, 09:48 PM
ummm...does Dethklok count? I'm not really a metal fan but I do love their show

68wPayne
08-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh, I take it back I love Austrian Death Machine, that shit is genius

Bodom
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Austrian Death Machine weren't the first, but they are f'n awesome.

IPOOPINTHEBATH
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Off the top of my head:

I like Punk's old entrance, haven't heard anything else.

Never bothered to even listen to FFDP.

:( I like quite a few Disturbed songs actually. :( Prayer is a fucking classic and definitely their best song by far. I guess I understand some people not liking them, hell I was just joking with one of my managers yesterday by singing Disturbed by pretended to hock up hairballs. But they do have some solid songs.

Pumpkinhead
08-18-2011, 09:54 PM
ummm...does Dethklok count? I'm not really a metal fan but I do love their show

Dethklok is OK..

Bodom
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh and pretty much every "deathcore" band out there.

Necroyeti
08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
np: Suffocation

In a brutal death metal mood tonight

Eve's Arse No.1
08-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Spineshank were awesome

Necroyeti
08-30-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxg2dGi2FI0

Eve's Arse No.1
08-30-2011, 06:06 PM
I use to listen to that when i was like 16-18 but not anymore

still enjoy classic Korn though

Necroyeti
08-30-2011, 06:14 PM
still enjoy classic Korn though
I was hugely into Korn when I was twelve, thirteen. They're pretty terrible and I can't really stomach them now, but I still like a couple of songs.

What about Opeth? Back in the days when I used to frequent metal forums, EVERYONE seemed to have a hard-on for them. I thought they were just alright at best.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
I like Tiamat, Lacuna Coil, Within Temptation, NIN.

I lost alot of music when my old laptop decided to die on me after i spilt a white russian all over it.

Im odd with tastes in music im the kinda guy who likes very few artists but i like alot of random songs such as

Fly Routine - Hostile Groove

Bodom
08-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm finding myself on a bit of a Folk Metal fix lately. I have a strange desire to grab a sword and cape and go running around the woods behind my house.

Eve's Arse No.1
08-30-2011, 06:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g6cyUGTDeE

Here you go Bods

Necroyeti
08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Tiamat's "Wildhoney" is a fucking amazing album.

I have a weird relationship with metal where I hate much more of it than I like. I'm pretty damn fussy with it.

The first three pages of this are my absolute favourites:
http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Necroyeti/strm_h,ss.rd/metal/1

Eve's Arse No.1
08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Is their song Cain that i cant get enough of

Eve's Arse No.1
08-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Tool are great

Theres alot there lol

I think at my height i had 2,000 songs on my Ipad but thats it

Bodom
09-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Tiamat's "Wildhoney" is a fucking amazing album.

I have a weird relationship with metal where I hate much more of it than I like. I'm pretty damn fussy with it.

The first three pages of this are my absolute favourites:
http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Necroyeti/strm_h,ss.rd/metal/1

Why is Attack! Attack! there..

CGBigMan
09-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Why is Attack! Attack! there..

i agree with that

Necroyeti
09-10-2011, 11:30 AM
I listened to it out of curiosity.

I did give it 0.5 stars though.

CGBigMan
09-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Admittadly i liste to lots of things i would think you dont like

Necroyeti
09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I haven't listened to a whole lot of music this year, let alone metal... think the last new-ish metal album I've heard was the latest Electric Wizard, and it wasn't that great.

Need to go on a metal binge... I see there are new Moonsorrow, Corrupted, Autopsy and Wolves in the Throne Room albums going about.

tittle97
09-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Need to go on a metal binge... I see there are new Moonsorrow, Corrupted, Autopsy and Wolves in the Throne Room albums going about.

I do the same thing dude, I seriously go on like month-long binges searching out new bands or new material from bands.

Bodom
09-10-2011, 12:15 PM
For the last few days I've been on an "avoiding metal" binge. Usually how it is with me after going to a metal show.

tittle97
09-10-2011, 12:24 PM
For the last few days I've been on an "avoiding metal" binge. Usually how it is with me after going to a metal show.

How was the show Bodom?

Bodom
09-10-2011, 12:32 PM
How was the show Bodom?

Fucking awesome. Skeletonwitch was pretty good. DevilDriver fucking tore it up and Arch Enemy was just fucking amazing.

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
IT'S TIME TO DIE
DEATH STANDS BEHIND THE DOOR
SATAN SENDS HIS WARRIORS
DEMONS BREAK OUT OF HELL

SHRILL CRIES
ANGEL DIES
SHRILL CRIES
OUTBREAK OF EVILLLLLLL

\m///////

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 10:54 AM
YOU CALLED US ANIMALSSSSSS
WE FOUND THE RIGHT AND USED IT
KINGDOM OF CANNIBALSSSSSS

IT'S FIGHT OR FLIGHT, OUR STRIFE CONTINUES ON

WE SHARED YOUR ANCESTORS
YOU KEPT US CAGED LIKE MONSTERS
SIMIAN MANIFOLD

ITS FIGHT OR FLIGHT, OUR STRIFE CONTINUES ON
YOU FOUND THE MIGHT IN YOU OPPOSING THUMBS

BUT OUR BATTLES JUST BEGUN
JUST A STEP ON THE RUNG
THOUGHT YOU BURIED MY BRAIN
ALL YOU EFFORTS IN VAIN

I reckon Slough Feg could possibly be the best metal band from the past 10 years.

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Mercyful Fate up in this bitch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi_mrNsamd8

I WAS BORN ON THE CEMETERY
UNDER THE SIGN OF THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
RAISED FROM MY GRAVE BY THE DEAD

AND I WAS MADE A MERCENERYYYYY
IN THE LEGIONS OF HELL
NOW I'M KING OF PAIN, I'M INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE

YOU KNOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW
MY ONLY PLEASURE
IS TO HEAR YOU CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOU CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
I'D LOVE TO FEEL YOU DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE

Black Mass Reverend
09-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I think I'm a little late to the party, but I've been listening to a lot of Mastodon in preparation for their new album that is about to drop. Also, if you guys are into Sludge/Stoner Metal you should definitely give the bands Red Fang & The Sword. Great stuff there. Saw Red Fang live during the Mayhem Tour & they were just great. Speaking of Mayhem, I saw Disturbed too. Fucking horrible. It's like the singer wasn't even trying. I thought there was a dying animal on stage.

Bodom
09-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Disturbed been pretty bad for years now dude.

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 05:25 PM
I really like The Sword. It seems like the more militant fans of sludge I know look down on them as watered-down or mainstream or whatever, but I think they're fun. And that's what sludge is all about, really.

I promise to check out Red Fang. I was a massive sludge/stoner mark a few years ago, and I'm surprised I haven't heard of them.

SUDDENLY, MOTHERFUCKING NOOTHGRUSH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93lxCOSDE2c

CGBigMan
09-11-2011, 05:40 PM

i enjoy them personally
but theyve yet to the high that was the sickness

Black Mass Reverend
09-11-2011, 05:41 PM

I've never seen then live until then, & really don't care about the music so I wasn't really expecting it to be that bad lol.

Black Mass Reverend
09-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Someone mentioned Opeth earlier. Have you guys heard the knew album? Wow, just wow! Straight up Jazz Metal lol. I'm loving it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it pissed off a lot of their older fans.

Subject Zero
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Yeah after Ten Thousand Fists album they went straight down hill.

What do you all think of Rise Against? Or arent they considered Metal?

CGBigMan
09-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah after Ten Thousand Fists album they went straight down hill.

What do you all think of Rise Against? Or arent they considered Metal?

id personally consider them hard rock
but i enjoy some of there work
not into there new album though

Subject Zero
09-11-2011, 06:05 PM
id personally consider them hard rock
but i enjoy some of there work
not into there new album though

Yeah i never know what genres are which when it comes to rock. There are soooooo many. Thats why i get confused when people say it all sounds the same??????

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
From spending almost a decade posting in metal forums and metal IRC chatrooms, I've got like a sixth sense to be anal about genres and subgenres. It's incredible how upset some people can get because you accidentally call something "death-doom metal" instead of "atmospheric black metal" or whatever. God forbid if you mix up Death Metal and Grindcore.

THEKEVINBRAND
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Well I like Thrash Metal, and you can't say metal wothout the godfathers of metal

Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer

Subject Zero
09-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Well I like Thrash Metal, and you can't say metal wothout the godfathers of metal

Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer

What about Black Label Soceity or am i way off with the timing?

THEKEVINBRAND
09-11-2011, 06:31 PM
What about Black Label Soceity or am i way off with the timing?

yeah BLS didn't start until 1998

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slayer

I literally posted this in the unpopular (now postwhoring) thread just yesterday:

"Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax? They're all kinda shite... The big four of thrash should be something like Coroner, Morbid Saint, Sodom and Voivod instead."

Not that I dismiss the big four completely. Matter of fact: Rust in Peace, Ride the Lightning and Hell Awaits are three of my favourite thrash albums. I just think their talent is vastly overstated.

Pantera is a thrash band I would completely dismiss though. I've never liked them.

Subject Zero
09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
yeah BLS didn't start until 1998

WOW didnt know that. Thanks i thought they were late 80's. My knowledge of Rock is awful

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77uVmkb6oes

CONAN RULES WITH AN IRON FIST
MANY PEOPLE THEY LOOK UP TO HIM
BATTLE PROWESS IS THE MEASURE OF A MAN
YOU THINK YOU'RE CIVILIZED BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAAAAAAAAAAAAND

YOU THINK YOU'RE CIVILIZED BUT YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND

Black Mass Reverend
09-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I literally posted this in the unpopular (now postwhoring) thread just yesterday:

"Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax? They're all kinda shite... The big four of thrash should be something like Coroner, Morbid Saint, Sodom and Voivod instead."

Not that I dismiss the big four completely. Matter of fact: Rust in Peace, Ride the Lightning and Hell Awaits are three of my favourite thrash albums. I just think their talent is vastly overstated.

Pantera is a thrash band I would completely dismiss though. I've never liked them.

I fucking love Rust in Peace. Such a great album! All those album's are great actually. Personally I don't think of Pantera as thrash band.

Black Mass Reverend
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Any Gojira fans?

Bodom
09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Talking about the Godfathers of Metal and not mentioning Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, or Iron Maiden is just completely absurd

Black Mass Reverend
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Talking about the Godfathers of Metal and not mentioning Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, or Iron Maiden is just completely absurd

Quoted for truth

Rich Cranium
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Motorhead????

Bodom
09-11-2011, 07:57 PM
And them too.

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
I think he was on about the Godfathers of Thrash, lad.

+ Budgie, Black Widow, Diamond Head, Venom, Rainbow, Saxon, Witchfinder General, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Saint Vitus, Celtic Frost, Cirith Ungol and Brocas Helm. RESPECT THE ELDERS.

Bodom
09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I have zero respect for Celtic Frost.

Cold Lake.

Necroyeti
09-11-2011, 08:09 PM
I genuinely liked Cold Lake. Seriously.

Even if I didn't... Monotheist more than makes up for it. It may not be the classic CF sound, but SHIT they appeared out of nowhere and released one of the best doom albums ever!

KJ PUNK
09-12-2011, 12:34 AM
'80s Hair Metal!!!!!

Motley Crue FTW!

(gotta represent the other sub-genres)

THEKEVINBRAND
09-12-2011, 12:15 PM

that's your opinion man, and you're right they were good in their early days but now they should move over (then again I still listen to KISS lol)

WOW didnt know that. Thanks i thought they were late 80's. My knowledge of Rock is awful

Neither did I, I actually thought the same, but as you know Zakk Wylde was Ozzy's lead guitarist for a long time and I think BLS was purely a side project that became full time in the mid-2000s

THEKEVINBRAND
09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
'80s Hair Metal!!!!!

Motley Crue FTW!

(gotta represent the other sub-genres)

yeah man glam rock ftw lol i swear they had too much makeup for my taste back in the 80s

Necroyeti
09-19-2011, 12:48 PM
np: My Dying Bride's "The Angel and The Dark River" album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGIDLb--9U4

Probably heard somewhere in the region of 200 doom metal albums over the years... and this is still one of the best.

\m////////////////////