PDA

View Full Version : What UFC Needs To Do With Strikeforce

Robstar
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I will be very dissapointed in the UFC absorbs Strikeforce as it did the WEC and to a lesser extent, Pride. the UFC organisation needs to keep Strikeforce running as it is, independent of the UFC. The talent pool is already overflowing and Strikeforce should be treated as, not a minor league MMA production but as competitive as possible with the UFC.

Because having competition can only make you money - especially if you own the competition too. ;)

My suggestion is that they keep them seperate and maybe once a year, promote a supercard with champions vs champions and dream matches. I know it's very fan like and not very realistic - I mean, what if the UFC heavyweight champ went down to the Strikeforce champ? But there's a solution there too - the Strikeforce fighter would 'graduate' to UFC if he so desired and contend for that championship, requiring to surrender his SF title if he did. Or, it could work the other way if former UFC champs were on their way down (Frank Mir, BJ Penn etc) they could go see if they could compete in Strikeforce. Hopefully that would be an option for these guys instead of facing what has become a seemingly mandatory UFC rule - if you lose 3 fights in a row, you're gone.

Thoughts?:confused:

Rich Cranium
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
What you said sounds like a good plan but not what I think is going to happen. I think once all of the pre UFC fight contracts are fulfilled, we will see some 'dipping' into the pot.

PS, it's spelled organ-i-z-a-tion ;)

Kashdinero
04-14-2011, 12:07 AM
The worst thing is, we'll never get to see Batista fulfill his dream of getting his arse handed to him by Bobby Lashley. Dana would never have that. Also, what happens to the women's divisions?

Daley?
Diaz?
Barnett? (who has failed steroid tests so many times, he isn't allowed to fight in, like, forty nine states in America. Strikeforce, who knew about this, booked him in the GP anyway, only to have to completely reschedule the tournament.)
Hendo?
Herschal Walker?
Fedor?
Arlofvski?

If anyone is safe it's Overeem. I wouldn't mind seeing him tear it up against the UFC's top dogs. The question is though, why would they keep Strikeforce as a separate entity, when all they would be doing is competing against themselves, using an organisation created by someone else. I can't see SF lasting too much longer, but, ya never know.

thedominator92
04-14-2011, 06:58 AM
I will be very dissapointed in the UFC absorbs Strikeforce as it did the WEC and to a lesser extent, Pride. the UFC organisation needs to keep Strikeforce running as it is, independent of the UFC. The talent pool is already overflowing and Strikeforce should be treated as, not a minor league MMA production but as competitive as possible with the UFC.

Because having competition can only make you money - especially if you own the competition too. ;)

My suggestion is that they keep them seperate and maybe once a year, promote a supercard with champions vs champions and dream matches. I know it's very fan like and not very realistic - I mean, what if the UFC heavyweight champ went down to the Strikeforce champ? But there's a solution there too - the Strikeforce fighter would 'graduate' to UFC if he so desired and contend for that championship, requiring to surrender his SF title if he did. Or, it could work the other way if former UFC champs were on their way down (Frank Mir, BJ Penn etc) they could go see if they could compete in Strikeforce. Hopefully that would be an option for these guys instead of facing what has become a seemingly mandatory UFC rule - if you lose 3 fights in a row, you're gone.

Thoughts?:confused:

http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/images/smilies/agreed.gif

Kashdinero
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I know it's a bit late, but I watched Diaz vs Daley yesterday, and the word coming out of that event is that the two promotions would remain separate entities for the foreseeable future. Both Dana and Lorenzo (or was it Frank, I can't remember) were in the crowd and the whole show had a UFC feel to it. They also had a poll, to see if the fans wanted to see UFC and Strikeforce fighters go at it, to which fans voted 96% in favour of the cross promotion fights.

Action from the card saw Gilbert Milendez completely own! Jardine get owned (on route to a dodgy draw) and Diaz beat the controversial Brit in a bout which saw Diaz unleash his superior punching skills after being floored by a great Daley left. Great card of fighting, and it shows Zuffa would be mad to merge the two companies. Now, or in the future.

Iron Ape
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
The only influence that I'd like to see Dana have on Strikeforce would be in regards to their horrendous booking. Absolutely everything else should just stay as is. Well, they could shit-can that stooge Mauro Ranallo, too, I guess- but other than that just leave it alone.

THEKEVINBRAND
04-14-2011, 12:42 PM
GSP vs Nick Diaz book it!

thedominator92
04-14-2011, 02:06 PM
GSP vs Nick Diaz book it!

Diaz doesn't deserve GSP. He would have to get through another top contender or two. If he can beat fitch and maybe alves then he gets gsp.

THEKEVINBRAND
04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Diaz doesn't deserve GSP. He would have to get through another top contender or two. If he can beat fitch and maybe alves then he gets gsp.

by then GSP would have time to move up to light heavyweight and fight Silva

thejman93
04-14-2011, 02:25 PM
The only influence that I'd like to see Dana have on Strikeforce would be in regards to their horrendous booking. Absolutely everything else should just stay as is. Well, they could shit-can that stooge Mauro Ranallo, too, I guess- but other than that just leave it alone.

I know this is waaay nitpicky but send the UFC announcers to do Strikeforce shows too. Joe Rogan is the man!

Iron Ape
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
I know this is waaay nitpicky but send the UFC announcers to do Strikeforce shows too. Joe Rogan is the man!
I love Rogan and all, but I think it's important for Strikeforce to continue forging their own identity with their own announce talent.

thejman93
04-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I love Rogan and all, but I think it's important for Strikeforce to continue forging their own identity with their own announce talent.

If you're gonna do that then let Gus Johnson be the main PBP man. RIIISSSSSEEEEE ANNNDDD FIIIIREEEE!

Iron Ape
04-14-2011, 03:38 PM
If you're gonna do that then let Gus Johnson be the main PBP man. RIIISSSSSEEEEE ANNNDDD FIIIIREEEE!
God no. Not only is Gus somehow even worse than Mauro, but he may very well be the worst commentator in all of MMA.

Strikeforce's recent addition of Pat Miletich has been a step in the right direction for an otherwise bleak fucking scene over there.

Rich Cranium
04-14-2011, 04:45 PM

He is also a bad ass and gets high! Rogan > RVD

Robstar
04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Remember when he was on Newsradio, that tv show? I couldn't believe at first it was the same guy. Didn't know Rogan was in the 4:20 club but I'm not surprised

Iron Ape
04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
NewsRadio was a great show. Never could stand Fear Factor, though.

Robstar
04-14-2011, 05:33 PM
NewsRadio was a great show. Never could stand Fear Factor, though.

Agreed. Have never watched it. You watch old NewsRadio now though and it's horribly dated. R.I.P. Phil Hartman

Rich Cranium
04-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Didn't know Rogan was in the 4:20 club but I'm not surprised

http://www.aroundthecage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/joe-rogan-eddie-bravo-high-times-550x366.jpg

Kashdinero
04-15-2011, 01:20 AM
@Kevin. Light heavyweight? So, for the GSP Vs Silva fight to happen, Silva would have to go up a weight class, and Georges would have to completely bypass middleweight and jump straight into the Lightheavyweight division? GSP better start eating his steak and potatoes!

THEKEVINBRAND
04-17-2011, 02:34 PM
@Kevin. Light heavyweight? So, for the GSP Vs Silva fight to happen, Silva would have to go up a weight class, and Georges would have to completely bypass middleweight and jump straight into the Lightheavyweight division? GSP better start eating his steak and potatoes!

I meant middleweight, I forget what class Silva's in but the GSP/Anderson Silva is supposed to happen soon

THEKEVINBRAND
04-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Remember when he was on Newsradio, that tv show? I couldn't believe at first it was the same guy. Didn't know Rogan was in the 4:20 club but I'm not surprised

i wouldn't be surprised that he was high out of his mid during Fear Factor

Black Mass Reverend
04-22-2011, 09:26 PM
i wouldn't be surprised that he was high out of his mid during Fear Factor

You've got to be stoned out of your mind to be able to sit there and watch those people do half the shit they do lol.

Black Mass Reverend
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I honestly believe the UFC just wants to monopolize the sport, or rather Zuffa does. I really don't think we'll get to see any of those super fights we're all craving for until after Zuffa decides to merge the two brands. If you think about it, do you really think the UFC are going to pit there fighters against another promotions & risk having them loose? Just imagine, let's say Cain fought Overeem & got his ass whooped, Strikeforce can then turn around and say "Oh we have the best heavyweight fighters in the world". This goes for all the divisions. Zuffa's invested way too much into the UFC to go and do something like that. They tried it with Pride & it didn't go so well for them. The only way the UFC would let one of their fighters loose is if it's in their cage by another one of their fighters. After the whole fiasco with Pride I don't think we'll ever see the UFC cross promote again, even against another promotion owned by Zuffa. Now when the inevitable happens & Zuffa finally merges the two then we'll most likely get to see all those super fights we've been asking for. Why, because then they're UFC fighters beating other UFC fighters.