PDA

View Full Version : MMA in the Olympics.

Northernwolf
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Should MMA be in the Olympics and do you think it will ever happen? With Sports like Boxing, Judo and Wrestling already in it why leave MMA out of the picture?

bellywolves
08-12-2010, 06:25 PM
It would be pretty awesome tbh, I think it could work there are enough fighters out there with different nationalities, who could compete at the Olympics.

AGEOFFALL
08-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Why not? It's a popular sport. And by Olympics you mean the summer Olympics right?

jwt15
08-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I think it will be soon the sport is popular in alot of countries and could make for some epic match ups of pros

Tha Crows Nest
08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
My only Issue with it is how would you determine the winner unless each country had teams and got to choose which fighters to send out it wouldnt work. Take team Canada for example i personnally dont see any one person that could beat GSP but what if he gets a bad cut over his eye in the first round. Are you gonna have him go out in the second round against someone who maybe won by submission and didnt use alot of energy just 1 or two days after. With boxing they have the headgear and things of sort which prevent that so a fighter can fight multiple times but sometimes after a MMA fight it can take weeks for a fighter to fully recover and how can we truly get a real winner if one of the fighters is not at 100 percent?

AGEOFFALL
08-18-2010, 10:17 PM
My only Issue with it is how would you determine the winner unless each country had teams and got to choose which fighters to send out it wouldnt work.
that's the only way it would work. Because i agree there is no way a mma fighter can recover from a fight that quickly. So each participating country would need to have a different fighter fight in each match of the tournament.

jwt15
08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Yea but what about Boxing they have that in Olympics why not have MMA

Wrave
08-19-2010, 08:32 AM
I would do a Round Robin tourney and then the best 10 in a single elimination tourney.

klebyano
08-19-2010, 08:54 AM
would be very good, Brazil would win more medals

Northernwolf
08-20-2010, 03:20 AM
I think the only way MMA would get picked up in the olympics is if they ban elbow strikes and make them wear shin guards to make the sport a little more clean and safer for the fighters and at the same time more appealing to the general audience.

I think the International Fight League had the right idea on the team system but with it being in the olympics I agree with AGEOFFALL about having different fighters fight in each match of the tournament, it is just best to do it that way.

SilverGhost
09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Its a good idea. xD

Rich Cranium
11-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I definitely agree that it would be a cool idea, but like the previous poster said, it would be very hard to get it passed by the Olympic commitee. Plus, aren't the majority of fighters from Brazil and U.S.?