PDA

View Full Version : UFC 129: GSP vs Shields

Rich Cranium
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
UFC 129 on April 30th looks like a great card! So what are your thoughts or picks? Obviously changes may occur with the card. Randy Couture vs Machida looks like a good one.

Official Fight Card

Main Card
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Mark Hominick
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson

Preliminary card (Spike TV)
Welterweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Rory MacDonald
Welterweight bout: Sean Pierson vs. Brian Foster

Preliminary Card
Featherweight bout: Yves Jabouin vs. Pablo Garza
Welterweight bout: Claude Patrick vs. Daniel Roberts
Bantamweight bout: Ivan Menjivar vs. Charlie Valencia
Middleweight bout: Jason MacDonald vs. Ryan Jensen
Lightweight bout: John Makdessi vs. Kyle Watson

SilverGhost
04-03-2011, 02:04 AM
I can't wait for both Machida vs Couture and GSP vs Shields. This night will be good.

Mikestang
04-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Mark Hominick
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson

All these s/b great fights. Aldo vs Hominick has FOTY all over it.

Rich Cranium
04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Diaz vs Rory is a good one too!

THEKEVINBRAND
04-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm actually happy that this is the first ever MMA event to be held in Ontario!

SilverGhost
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I will be in chat for this event!

Kashdinero
04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I will be in chat for this event!

I'll be there buddy! It'll be commentary, EWN style, at it's best lol!

Rich Cranium
04-28-2011, 09:11 PM
This Saturday, it's time for some GSP!

Kashdinero
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

Check the tag at the bottom of the page.

THEKEVINBRAND
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

yes sir Canada's behind Rush!

Rich Cranium
04-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Check the tag at the bottom of the page.

Big weekend for you with Extreme Rules, UFC 129, and the royal wedding! ;)

Rich Cranium
04-28-2011, 09:23 PM
yes sir Canada's behind Rush!

I like Rush. I have their Double CD 'The Chronicles'.

THEKEVINBRAND
04-28-2011, 09:30 PM
I like Rush. I have their Double CD 'The Chronicles'.

yes i like Rush (the band) you can't go wrong with Neil Peart, but I meant Georges Rush St-Pierre

Robstar
04-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Should be a great card. Interesting to learn Couture is on his first 3 fight win streak in 10 years. I think Machida will be dangerous coming off 2 losses, he has more to lose. I'm tipping Georges as usual. Also pumped for the featherweights!! Oh yeah!

Robstar
04-29-2011, 02:23 AM
Hang on....I just read it's Randy's last fight? Glad I will see it then

SilverGhost
04-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Its Randy's last fight!?

I must see it.

Robstar
04-29-2011, 02:27 AM
According to Wiki, he's retiring no matter what the outcome.

SilverGhost
04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
According to Wiki, he's retiring no matter what the outcome.

How about UFC news? Can't trust Wiki just yet.

Robstar
04-29-2011, 03:12 AM
http://www.randycouture.tv/

^^On his website he says he expects it to be his last but I think if he feels good he might be able to convince Dana for a last title fight against Jones. That'd be interesting

Rich Cranium
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.randycouture.tv/

^^On his website he says he expects it to be his last but I think if he feels good he might be able to convince Dana for a last title fight against Jones. That'd be interesting

Machida is unpredictable so it's going to interesting.

Iron Ape
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
The only real chance that Couture has of eeking out a win on Machida is to employ a strategy similar to that of the one he used against Brandon Vera. And if that turns out to be the road he goes down, it sadly won't be a fight worth watching.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
04-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Hello SHOWERHEADS and SPRINKLERS of all ages. Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. Get your

http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/3241/popcorn.jpg

ready because tonight's fights should be a classic. I gotta say I'm torn because I'm an American but I really think GSP is going to crush shields tonight. So GSP wins tonight by KO. Machida beats couture, he's just too old. I'll be drinking early for this fight card and remember it starts at 9 pm not 10pm.

Enjoy the fights everyone!!!

Rich Cranium
04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Hello SHOWERHEADS and SPRINKLERS of all ages. Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. Get your

http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/3241/popcorn.jpg

ready because tonight's fights should be a classic. I gotta say I'm torn because I'm an American but I really think GSP is going to crush shields tonight. So GSP wins tonight by KO. Machida beats couture, he's just too old. I'll be drinking early for this fight card and remember it starts at 9 pm not 10pm.

Enjoy the fights everyone!!!

Thanks for the time correction. I'll be in chat at 6pm PST!

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 10:42 AM
GSP will win. No doubt about that.

Machida vs Couture.....I can't say.....even if Couture says its his "last" fight....

IPEEINTHESHOWER
04-30-2011, 04:01 PM
4 hours till UFC 129 starts. The drinking has begun. Going to the bar with friends to watch this one. Here is the countdown for tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhybSY03j2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXzaxfEFtMQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD09fTCsrVw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsZZOELsiXk&feature=related

Robstar
04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Haha, IPITS the fights start at 10am here, so no drinking for Rob!

Also, it's silly to be nationalistic and patriotic in the fight game!!! Gotta go with the head, not the heart! (see if I say that next time Noke or Sotiropolous fight!lol)

IPEEINTHESHOWER
04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Haha, IPITS the fights start at 10am here, so no drinking for Rob!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUOHz6clCis&feature=related

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I am lost....IPITS is for nationality or skills? :rolleyes:

Robstar
04-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I am lost....IPITS is for nationality or skills? :rolleyes:

Well he said he's torn because he's AMERICAN but he's going for GSP anyway, which pretty much denotes that he would like to root for his countryman but knows the Canadian is superior.

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Well he said he's torn because he's AMERICAN but he's going for GSP anyway, which pretty much denotes that he would like to root for his countryman but knows the Canadian is superior.

Lol xD

Oh dude We are in chat man!

Robstar
04-30-2011, 08:13 PM
I am not on a laptop and can't see the show from my comp! Been some awesome undercard fights though. So good to see Diaz have his ass handed to him so thouroughly

Kashdinero
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
I am not on a laptop and can't see the show from my comp! Been some awesome undercard fights though. So good to see Diaz have his ass handed to him so thouroughly

Yeah, you can't complain about the price of this one... I'm so glad Randy Vs Lyoto wasn't a hump-fest. It's a shame to see anyone retire, but, damn!! That was a nasty kick! What a way to get retired.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 10:06 PM
It's hilarious to me that Steven fucking Seagal is teaching people crane kicks, especially when one considers that the guy can barely lift his own legs.

Rich Cranium
04-30-2011, 11:24 PM
What martial art is Seagal trained in?

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Hap Ki Do I think? Not many kicks in that but I believe that's his main style, although I think he trained in others

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 11:28 PM
It's hilarious to me that Steven fucking Seagal is teaching people crane kicks, especially when one considers that the guy can barely lift his own legs.

THAT IS TRUE! I was amazed and surprised that Seagal had an indirect part of the fight with that kick.

Aikido(wiki checked)

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I think it speaks volumes about the welterweight division that Jake Shields, a guy who has been completely lackluster ever since showing up in the UFC, was the best that Dana could come up with to pass off as a genuine threat to GSP's title. Dude fought like a total boner tonight.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:29 PM
He's an Akido master.

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 11:30 PM
I think it speaks volumes about the welterweight division that Jake Shields, a guy who has been completely lackluster ever since showing up in the UFC, was the best that Dana could come up with to pass off as a genuine threat to GSP's title. Dude fought like a total boner tonight.

I didn't see that much offense in Shields....even if he did bloodied GSP...

Rich Cranium
THAT IS TRUE! I was amazed and surprised that Seagal had an indirect part of the fight with that kick.

Anderson Silva also gave Seagal credit for his kick that took out Belfort! (Also a wiki check)

Iron Ape
Even crazier is that he's been heavily- Get it? Because he's fat!- involved in training Anderson Silva, too.

Androo
Im telling you bro's, Segal is creating his own stable in Proffessional MMA!!! :)

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:31 PM
How about GSP being a 3 trick pony all night though? 1)the left jab 2)the spinning back kick and 3)the flailing overhand right, that barely connected. GSP had him wobbled a few times, like he did with Koscheck and didn't go after him. Oh well, that's one way to stay champ I suppose.....bit boring though

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Even crazier is that he's been heavily- Get it? Because he's fat!- involved in training Anderson Silva, too.

Yeah in the latest issue of UFC Australia mag, The Spider is quoted saying that the kick he beat Belfort with Seagal 'helped him perfect'

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:35 PM
I didn't see that much offense in Shields....even if he did bloodied GSP...
It's not even that- why in the hell was he fighting GSP at his own game? Unless Jake was paid a fat sack of cash to keep things standing, I can't for the life of me understand why his entire gameplan wasn't completely focused on wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
It's not even that- why in the hell was he fighting GSP at his own game? Unless Jake was paid a fat sack of cash to keep things standing, I can't for the life of me understand why his entire gameplan wasn't completely focused on wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

That fight could have been ground based....that would have given Shields an edge.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
How about GSP being a 3 trick pony all night though? 1)the left jab 2)the spinning back kick and 3)the flailing overhand right, that barely connected. GSP had him wobbled a few times, like he did with Koscheck and didn't go after him. Oh well, that's one way to stay champ I suppose.....bit boring though
GSP is smart to fight safe, but it sure as hell doesn't make for particularly exciting fights.

If his next opponent isn't Silva, I actually think I might be skipping whatever foregone conclusion that Dana lines up.

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
GSP was turning out of the clinch pretty easily.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:39 PM
That fight could have been ground based....that would have given Shields an edge.
I'm not sure it would have given him an edge, but it certainly would have leveled the playing field.

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure it would have given him an edge, but it certainly would have leveled the playing field.

This I will agree.

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
GSP is smart to fight safe, but it sure as hell doesn't make for particularly exciting fights.

If his next opponent isn't Silva, I actually think I might be skipping whatever foregone conclusion that Dana lines up.

If he is going to fight Silva, he is going to have to fight to win, not fight to stay alive and make it to the end

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Im telling you bro's, Segal is creating his own stable in Proffessional MMA!!! :)
Team Direct to Video would take MMA by storm.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
[/B]
If he is going to fight Silva, he is going to have to fight to win, not fight to stay alive and make it to the end
That's what makes it exciting to me; I want to see GSP actually pushed and challenged. His businessman-like performances are beginning to grate on me, and I say this as a fan of his.

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Team Direct to Video would take MMA by storm.

Great name, lol. But don't count out the possiblity. Most of the greatest coaches were mediocre players if they played at all. And as much as I too malign good ol' SS, I have learnt he knows his shit.

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
It's Aikido he does

Rich Cranium
04-30-2011, 11:49 PM
It's Aikido he does

Turns out he is a 7th Dan Black Belt!

SilverGhost
04-30-2011, 11:50 PM
That's what makes it exciting to me; I want to see GSP actually pushed and challenged. His businessman-like performances are beginning to grate on me, and I say this as a fan of his.

Same here. I wanna see the fighters push each other to the limit. If GSP/Silva does happen, I would expect the bolded.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Great name, lol. But don't count out the possiblity. Most of the greatest coaches were mediocre players if they played at all. And as much as I too malign good ol' SS, I have learnt he knows his shit.
Don't get me wrong, I know Seagal is the real deal. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I'm actually a bit of a Professor in the field of Seagalogy. The guy might be a slovenly punchline these days, but that doesn't change the fact that he was at one time one of the absolute best martial artists in the entire world.

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:51 PM
At this point I'd say Spider would win. 1)it's his weight class and 2) he's a finisher

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know Seagal is the real deal. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I'm actually a bit of a Professor in the field of Seagalogy. The guy might be a slovenly punchline these days, but that doesn't change the fact that he was at one time one of the absolute best martial artists in the entire world.

And don't forget he's pushing 60 and was never a musclehead, so getting fat in your old age comes with the territory

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Seagal trivia: Big Steve was the first westerner allowed to open a dojo in Japan. That's a seriously big fucking deal.

Iron Ape
04-30-2011, 11:55 PM
And don't forget he's pushing 60 and was never a musclehead, so getting fat in your old age comes with the territory
Yeah, but it's still strange to see a vegetarian get that fucking big. I mean, how many vegetables is the guy eating?

Robstar
04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Yeah, but it's still strange to see a vegetarian get that fucking big. I mean, how many vegetables is the guy eating?

He can still eat chocolate and drink saki don't forget!!!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 12:03 AM
GSP fight sucked ass. Shields was on drugs, WTF was he doing? He had no game plan, GSP had one eye and he still couldn't finish him. GSP is great but his fights are lackluster and even his hometown was boooing. you know it sucks when Canadians boo. But the other fights were great. Courture is a legend and I'm glad he didnt get hurt. That karate kid kick was awesome. But my favorite fight was Jose Aldo and Mark Hominick. Hominick showed more heart than Shields did. That dude had something growing on his head and fought like a warrior. He has a fan for life because of the way he didnt give up. I personally want to thank the doctor for not stopping the fight, I wonder what would've happenedd if that ball on his head busted opened.

Robstar
05-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Something very crimson would have happened IPITS! Maybe the Gobbledegooker would come out?

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 12:12 AM
Something very crimson would have happened IPITS! Maybe the Gobbledegooker would come out?

That ball was HUGE!!!!! I'm pretty sure a small baby could have fit in it. Was it filled with blood, puss and brain matter?:D

Robstar
05-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Blood, hence the hemat(meaning blood) in hematoma

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Blood, hence the hemat(meaning blood) in hematoma

I know that silly, I was trying to be funny. My attempt at humor failed.:D hahahahaha

Iron Ape
05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
He can still eat chocolate and drink saki don't forget!!!
You might be right about the sweets, but Seagal doesn't drink.

Robstar
05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
You might be right about the sweets, but Seagal doesn't drink.

You are a Seagalphile aren't you? Anyway, you're metabolism changes. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, lol

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 12:43 AM
*raises hand* I know he got some credit for that great kick but my question is can Seagal even lift his leg anymore???

Iron Ape
05-01-2011, 12:43 AM
You are a Seagalphile aren't you?
You know all of the shitty movies he's been making for the past decade or so? I've seen every single one of them.

Oh, and I went to see his blues band live, too. It was mainly for comedic purposes, but the guy turned out to be an amazing guitarist, which completely shocked the hell out of me.

Anyway, you're metabolism changes. That's my story and I'm sticking with it, lol
That must be it.

SilverGhost
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
*raises hand* I know he got some credit for that great kick but my question is can Seagal even lift his leg anymore???

You, of all people, shouldn't question masters lol

Robstar
05-01-2011, 12:58 AM
You know all of the shitty movies he's been making for the past decade or so? I've seen every single one of them.

Oh, and I went to see his blues band live, too. It was mainly for comedic purposes, but the guy turned out to be an amazing guitarist, which completely shocked the hell out of me.

That must be it.

I'll have to pull out the pic I have for Songs From The Crystal Cave for my profile

Iron Ape
05-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I'll have to pull out the pic I have for Songs From The Crystal Cave for my profile
Hahaha. I love that shit.

This is a good one, too:

http://sharemyguitar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/SMG_Karate_Guitar.jpg

Robstar
05-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Hahaha. I love that shit.

This is a good one, too:

http://sharemyguitar.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/SMG_Karate_Guitar.jpg

Of the 2 SS pics I have on my comp - that's the other one!

eboy
05-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Wow what a show

machida & matyusenko's ko's were awesome gsp dominated sheilds mostly

did you see charlie velincia break his nose

SilverGhost
05-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Wow what a show

machida & matyusenko's ko's were awesome gsp dominated sheilds mostly

did you see charlie velincia break his nose

That thing was nasty!

Androo
05-01-2011, 12:32 PM
I was half joking about the Seagal Stable thing, but actually.....i buy it!

This video always cracks me up: "oh hi there, wrist lock throw, hiya, wrist lock shove, hey, wrist lock clothesline, holla, wrist lock hip toss..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVm2ld4f08I

eboy
05-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Something Incredible happened last night I bacame a fan of UFC

But I Whished they'd stop telling us there was 55,0000 there worse than the "E"

SilverGhost
05-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Something Incredible happened last night I bacame a fan of UFC

But I Whished they'd stop telling us there was 55,0000 there worse than the "E"

Why would they stop? It was obviously a huge deal to them.

Iron Ape
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah, them reiterating the historic attendance seems like a stupid thing to get hung up on.

Robstar
05-01-2011, 02:35 PM
You know announcers can get annoying at times, even the best of them. But I didn't pay $40 to hear them, so instead I focussed on enjoying the actual fighting. They can offer some helpful insights but essentially, they are a small part of the show for me.

Joe Rogan looked like he was about to explode with excitement when he was talking with Dana, pre-main card!

eboy
05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Why would they stop? It was obviously a huge deal to them.

It when beyond Hyping Beyond Bragging to Just Irratating

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 03:11 PM
It when beyond Hyping Beyond Bragging to Just Irratating

hahahahahaha we kind of made a game of it at the bar last night. Every time they said "UFC history" we took a sip. It was great.

eboy
05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
hahahahahaha we kind of made a game of it at the bar last night. Every time they said "UFC history" we took a sip. It was great.

You Must have been Shitfaced, Blotto, Pissed, Gazeboo'd, Fucked, out of it & Done all at the Same time

Robstar
05-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I'll have to post a thread on the Bear Grylls Drinking Game I invented. Not that I condone irresponsible drinking ;)

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
I'll have to post a thread on the Bear Grylls Drinking Game I invented. Not that I condone irresponsible drinking ;)

I want to hear about this ASAP. I love Bear Grylls, he is the f'n man.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Yeah I'm feeling the effects of it today. I had some "Wild" sauce wings last night at BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) and my arsehole hurts so bad today. Your welcome for that little bit of insider information.:D

KJ PUNK
05-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Yeah I'm feeling the effects of it today. I had some "Wild" sauce wings last night at BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) and my arsehole hurts so bad today. Your welcome for that little bit of insider information.:D

I had BWW the other day. Hated their chicken. For someone who's worked in a restaurant for 10 years, I hate going somewhere and getting shitty pre-packaged frozen chicken over some good hand battered fresh chicken.

Iron Ape
05-01-2011, 04:10 PM
I had BWW the other day. Hated their chicken. For someone who's worked in a restaurant for 10 years, I hate going somewhere and getting shitty pre-packaged frozen chicken over some good hand battered fresh chicken.
Yup. Chain wing joints are the worst.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM

No doubt about that KJ PUNK. When your drunk people will eat anything I know I will. I go to BW3"s all the time, the bartenders know me and take good care of me I certainly dont go for the food.:D

KJ PUNK
05-01-2011, 04:15 PM
No doubt about that KJ PUNK. When your drunk people will eat anything I know I will. I go to BW3"s all the time, the bartenders know me and take good care of me I certainly dont go for the food.:D

Yeah we were coming back from Game 4 of the Spurs vs Grizzlies and were starving. We made one of my friends put the hottest seasoning and hottest sauce on his chicken and eat 6 tenders and 8 boneless wings. He said he shit lava the next morning.

eboy
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
You Must have been Shitfaced, Blotto, Pissed, Gazeboo'd, Fucked, out of it & Done all at the Same time

I forgot Hammered

Rich Cranium
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I was half joking about the Seagal Stable thing, but actually.....i buy it!

This video always cracks me up: "oh hi there, wrist lock throw, hiya, wrist lock shove, hey, wrist lock clothesline, holla, wrist lock hip toss..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVm2ld4f08I

Can he really do that stuff though in reality. The vid was obviously just a show.

Iron Ape
05-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Can he really do that stuff though in reality. The vid was obviously just a show.
Well, he legit broke Sean Connery's wrist.

SnaggleTooth
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
This was the first UFC event that I've watched completely and I've decided that these fighters are completely insane! Hominick was being pummeled into looking like The Elephant Man and he tells the doc he wants to keep fighting!

That's crazy...