PDA

View Full Version : Which was the better horror movie, Jaws or The Thing

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-31-2011, 12:05 AM
Hello gore-hounds, SES back again with another first round match-up and this gonna be a great one. I say this because I think for the first time in this tournament the movies in question are somewhat similar in that both can be classified as both horror and action films and both featured antagonists that were not human. Similarities aside, The Thing was (for some reason) not as critically acclaimed or as financially successful as Jaws or even close. The Thing has maintained a strong following since its home video release though and it only gets better every time you watch it. Anyways, before I get to wordy in the introduction here, let me show you some cool videos I found on the internet.

Here is the official trailer for Jaws. It's a wonderfully done trailer imo, and it makes me want to go see the movie again, even though I just saw it again about 3 hours ago lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucMLFO6TsFM

Here's a classic scene from The Thing. It's one of my favorite singular scenes of all time. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQHy4XUXa0

My opinion:

Better movie: Jaws. I really like The thing and I think it's an excellent 3 star movie, but Jaws was one of those rare 4 star classics and it was probably my favorite Spielberg movie. Like I said, The thing was a very good movie, but Jaws was great and I don't think you'll be hard pressed to find too many people who would disagree with me here. Jaws takes this category.

Scarier movie: The Thing. This one was really REALLY close for me. I actually didn't find Jaws to be too particularity frightening in actuality, as sharks were never something I was really worried before, but I gave it big points here for scaring the s*** out of people in the 70's and to this day. In the end though, I have to go with what I found to be a scarier flick, and the overwhelming sense of dread and mystery involved with The Thing was too much to ignore. I HAVE always been afraid of having everyone being out to get you behind your back, and the sense of paranoia created by Carpenter in The Thing was an awesome thing to witness.

Impact on pop-culture/society/other movies: Jaws. Jaws had a huge impact when it was released. As I mentioned before, people were absolutely terrified of that movie to the point where they wouldn't even go into the ocean, hell some people wouldn't go into pools from what I've heard. Besides that, Jaws changed how other movies were marketed, and produced a butt-load of merchandise after it's release. Besides, other than the video I posted being parodied a few times, The Thing never really found it's way into pop-culture. Jaws wins this category in a landslide.

Gore: The Thing. As big an edge that Jaws had in the previous category, this is how big an edge The Thing has in this category. The Thing was over-the-top gruesome at times, just like your old pal SES likes 'em, while Jaws was bloody in small doses, but nowhere near the level of The Thing. Besides that, The Thing had about as good a special effects as I've seen in any movie, and this was made 29 years ago!! The Thing takes this category easy here.

Overall: Jaws. This match-up was close, but Jaws has been scaring the living daylights out of people for some 40 ought years now, and was a classic movie that did wonders for the world of film. The Thing was great and has nothing to be ashamed of here, but Jaws takes this one for me.

But what do you guys think?

Tommy Thunder
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
Jaws all the way!! One of my favorite movies!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gciFoEbOA8&feature=related

68wPayne
03-31-2011, 12:23 AM
I am going with The Thing because it invokes more actual fear into the audience. Everyone is afraid of sharks, so what. The Thing had that effect of we know who the bad guy is, but who else has it infected. Plus The Thing had a damn good video game too

samoan619
03-31-2011, 12:38 AM
I like both of those movies, The Thing was the more scarier one at the time, but Jaws was my choice because it affected me subconsciously.. I live in California and the beach is not even that far, and everytime I go deep in the water, I hear those strings from Jaws lolol..

Behemoth!
03-31-2011, 12:49 AM
I am going with The Thing because it invokes more actual fear into the audience. Everyone is afraid of sharks, so what. The Thing had that effect of we know who the bad guy is, but who else has it infected. Plus The Thing had a damn good video game too

Dude sharks are real, people can actually get eaten by sharks, how the hell is a fictional alien parasite more terrifying than something that is 10x the size of you and is KNOWN for eating people? I'm not saying that The Thing is bad: it's not. Kurt Russel fucking rules. I remember the video game but never played it. Personally, I always thought there should be a Big Trouble in Little China video game.

samoan619
03-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Dude sharks are real, people can actually get eaten by sharks, how the hell is a fictional alien parasite more terrifying than something that is 10x the size of you and is KNOWN for eating people? I'm not saying that The Thing is bad: it's not. Kurt Russel fucking rules. I remember the video game but never played it. Personally, I always thought there should be a Big Trouble in Little China video game.

OMG I loved Big Trouble In Little China, I made myself a misson impossible after seeing the film.. From that point I looked for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (a blue eyed asian chick, thats hot not a brumhilda chan with blue eyes, and brumhilda chan is a random name I made up, dont look her up now lol)..

Dameduse823
03-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Jaws without a single doubt. I saw that movie for the first time when I was 6 and it terrified me so bad that I couldn't even jump into my grandparents pool for a month. The Thing was a thriller with a lot of jump scares but jaws got into the minds of the people who watched it in a way that an alien parasite just never can

Bodom
03-31-2011, 01:20 AM
Voting for Jaws on account of it traumatizing me as a little kid. To this day I'm still terrified of swimming in the ocean.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-31-2011, 01:27 AM

I hate to say this because I in large part agree with your assesment to the tee, but the odds of being seriously injured by a shark are about the same as becoming a Thing. Plus realism doesn't always equal a better movie. 9 of our 16 movies that made the tournament (if you count The Exorcist and The Omen) involved the supernatural. And yes, Big Trouble in Little China is all kinds of awesome.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Voting for Jaws on account of it traumatizing me as a little kid. To this day I'm still terrified of swimming in the ocean.

Good to get your input Bods.

68wPayne
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
I hate to say this because I in large part agree with your assesment to the tee, but the odds of being seriously injured by a shark are about the same as becoming a Thing. Plus realism doesn't always equal a better movie. 9 of our 16 movies that made the tournament (if you count The Exorcist and The Omen) involved the supernatural. And yes, Big Trouble in Little China is all kinds of awesome.

That was what I meant, just cause sharks are real doesn't make it a better movie just cause "it could happen". Jaws is a great great movie, don't get me wrong. I was just saying that the whole bit about The Thing alien can turn into anything is what made it scarier, one minute crazy shit is happening, next thing Jimmy the Janitor is acting all kinds of weird then tries to kill you, hell you were just drinking coffee with Jimmy 30 minutes ago in the break room. Dammit Jimmy, why did you have to become an alien.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think The Thing was more innovative and was scarier because it dealt with the unknown rather than the known. After all The Shining is alot scarier than Cujo IMO, again crazy ghost making daddy crazy vs. vicious dog that can rip your head off, supernatural vs. natural.

samoan619
03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
That was what I meant, just cause sharks are real doesn't make it a better movie just cause "it could happen". Jaws is a great great movie, don't get me wrong. I was just saying that the whole bit about The Thing alien can turn into anything is what made it scarier, one minute crazy shit is happening, next thing Jimmy the Janitor is acting all kinds of weird then tries to kill you, hell you were just drinking coffee with Jimmy 30 minutes ago in the break room. Dammit Jimmy, why did you have to become an alien.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think The Thing was more innovative and was scarier because it dealt with the unknown rather than the known. After all The Shining is alot scarier than Cujo IMO, again crazy ghost making daddy crazy vs. vicious dog that can rip your head off, supernatural vs. natural.

Its all just opinion my friend, we all have our reasons, and you voted for yours.. I dont think anyone is wrong here, and you definitely explained thoroughly and sensibly about why you've made your choice.. I think what made everyone choose the differ is because we all havent looked at the ocean the same since that movie (Bodom even said he didnt trust a swimming pool back then lol), but The Thing is a great scary movie especially for that time period (and its totally understandable why youve made your choice)..

PS
The odds of a shark attacking is highly greater than an alien parasite, because shark attacks have been proven on a global scale.. It doesnt happen a lot(as in thousands a year), the US alone had 36 shark attacks last year, and shark attacks rose 25% last year globally.. Which an alien parasite attack reports are at 0%. (this isnt to take away from your movie choice, but rather show that shark attacks happen, and any of us could be the unlucky winner of the shark lottery)
shark attack report:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41458324/ns/world_news-world_environment/

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
The odds of a shark attacking is highly greater than an alien parasite, because shark attacks have been proven on a global scale.. It doesnt happen a lot(as in thousands a year), the US alone had 36 shark attacks last year, and shark attacks rose 25% last year globally.. Which an alien parasite attack reports are at 0%. (this isnt to take away from your movie choice, but rather show that shark attacks happen, and any of us could be the unlucky winner of the shark lottery)
shark attack report:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41458324/ns/world_news-world_environment/

To play the devil's advocate here, if there was in fact a thing murdering and than taking over a group of people, do you really thnk they would take the time to report said invasion? For all I know everyone else in the world besides me is a thing, and they jusy haven't revealed themselves yet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

samoan619
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
To play the devil's advocate here, if there was in fact a thing murdering and than taking over a group of people, do you really thnk they would take the time to report said invasion? For all I know everyone else in the world besides me is a thing, and they jusy haven't revealed themselves yet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hey hey hey, there's only one DevilsAdvocate on EWN and you sir are not it lol.. Once again I posted reported fact and statistics, if we wanted to talk theory we can say everyone on here has aids ,smokes heroine out their buttholes and dresses up as characters from the disney version of Alice in Wonderland lol (see how that works lol)..

Rich Cranium
03-31-2011, 11:53 AM
The reality talk should have been if it were Amityville Horror vs Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

On topic, I read the book 'Jaws' and gave an oral report on it in the 4th grade in which I received an A so Jaws FTW!

Androo
03-31-2011, 02:20 PM
How do you class or define a horror movie?

Rich Cranium
03-31-2011, 02:25 PM

I think you defined it already by using the word horror.

Androo
03-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Ooooooh la la. Well how would you define "horror" the genre then?

Dameduse823
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM

If thats what you class a horror movie as then I'd like to say that anything where teh rock tries to act is far scarier then Jaws or teh thing

Rich Cranium
03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
If thats what you class a horror movie as then I'd like to say that anything where teh rock tries to act is far scarier then Jaws or teh thing

Feel free to offer your own definition.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-31-2011, 03:23 PM

However you want to describe it. Some people say that if the movie scares you than it's a horror, and that's all that is needed. Some people say there is a formula the needs to be adheared to. Everyone has different opinoins on what is or is not horror.

Androo
03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
However you want to describe it. Some people say that if the movie scares you than it's a horror, and that's all that is needed. Some people say there is a formula the needs to be adheared to. Everyone has different opinoins on what is or is not horror.

Cheers man. I'm not having a go, im genuinely asking the question. More aimed at yourself Straight Edge, coz i know (or it seems anyway) you know your stuff. Yeh i can see that, if a movie scares you, a perfect 'fright night' movie. What would your own personal view be? I ask just because im not a huge horror coniseur, i watch them, and enjoy them, some of the time, i jst dont prefer them to other styles or genres. But all this genre stuff, classifying things, is a bit tedious to me, i just like movies, and if its 'horror' so be it. you know where im coming from?

I justwatched a 'scary' movie, i guess, was gonna ask what you, and others thought of it, but i'll take that to the "Last Movie you seen" thread.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Cheers man. I'm not having a go, im genuinely asking the question. More aimed at yourself Straight Edge, coz i know (or it seems anyway) you know your stuff. Yeh i can see that, if a movie scares you, a perfect 'fright night' movie. What would your own personal view be? I ask just because im not a huge horror coniseur, i watch them, and enjoy them, some of the time, i jst dont prefer them to other styles or genres. But all this genre stuff, classifying things, is a bit tedious to me, i just like movies, and if its 'horror' so be it. you know where im coming from?

I justwatched a 'scary' movie, i guess, was gonna ask what you, and others thought of it, but i'll take that to the "Last Movie you seen" thread.

Oh alright, I didn't know that you were asking me personally, but I'll give my thoughts on the matter. I personally think that to be classified in the horror genre, I think the main point of the movie has to be to attempt to frighten you. I do feel that movies can intend to scare you in different ways however, as a movie like The Silence of the Lambs, a film that many classify in the "psychological thriller" genre, isn't gonna have as many jump scares as say a run-of the-mill slasher movie, but it's still a horror movie to me because I think it was meant to scare you on a deeper, more profound way and it really attacked your psyche rather than just affecting your immediate emotions. However, a movie that has a few scary or disturbing scenes in it, such as Marathon Man or The Game for instance, are not horror movies because the main points of those movies were to entertain the viewer by different means other than scaring them.

To this point, I personally don't think that Jaws is a horror movie, not because I wasn't too particularity scared by it, but because I don't know if Spielberg was quiet trying to get the reaction that he did in fact get. I think he was trying to make an enthralling action/adventure movie with some scary scenes in it, but this is just my opinion. I did vote for Jaws being the better horror movie though because I do realize that the consequences of seeing Jaws, intended or not, were people being scared out of their pants the moment they saw it and that it had a huge impact on their lives.

Sorry for the wordy explanation and I do see where your coming from about the classification of genres and what-not, as I too enjoy movies of all kinds. I did want to make this tournament though because much like the world of wrestling, the horror genre has a pretty big internet following and I wanted to see if the EWN community and myself shared a similar passion that we had not yet known about. Plus it's always interesting to me to find out what the "best" of anything is, and to see why people feel this way. What was the movie you just watched btw?

Absolutely PERFECT!
03-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes I know that was a contradictory statement. Shhhhhh

Moving forward. Anyone who voted the plastic shark overr the greatest F/X ever put on screen should be.............
Just keep and eye on your dogs and look out for black sedans is all Im gonna say!

The Thing is one of the greatest sci fi/ horror movies ever. Cant wait for the prequel.
I own every Kurt Russell movie ever made and spent $300 on the Little China action figure and used to have ''pork chop express'' on my old work truck!

He is going to be releasing a directors cut of Tombstone! Keep it in your pants fellas. We all love Tombstone.
He is doing it because he was really the director!

Androo
03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Sorry for the wordy explanation and I do see where your coming from about the classification of genres and what-not, as I too enjoy movies of all kinds. I did want to make this tournament though because much like the world of wrestling, the horror genre has a pretty big internet following and I wanted to see if the EWN community and myself shared a similar passion that we had not yet known about. Plus it's always interesting to me to find out what the "best" of anything is, and to see why people feel this way. What was the movie you just watched btw?

No not a problem. Thanks for taking the time. Its a hard one to get around. Id probably agree with you. I voted for Jaws, maily because i liked it more, and like you said - its impact on pop culture. Alot of people still wont go into the open waters because of that film lol. You can debate 'whats this, whats that?" for days though.

Film was Paranormal Activity. I mentioned it in the "What was the las movie you watched?" thread.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-31-2011, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Iwjm6jJZc

Jaws for me!!!!!!!!

Every time I'm in the ocean, it's always in the back of my mind. Thanks Mr. Spielberg

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
04-04-2011, 01:34 AM
With all the excitement regarding Mania, I nearly forgot about my horror movie tournament. Jaws wins this match-up by a score of 9-3 and successfully advances to the second round. I'll be back in full action tomorrow guys so don't worry.