PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Bones Jones -- The new face of the ufc

thedominator92
03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
After winning the title Saturday, Jones has a multi million dollar sponsorship deal with k-swiss, appeared on Sports center, and is going to be the first ufc fighter to appear on Jay Leno.

Dana may have his new cash cow and the man who could be a huge factor with getting MMA regulated in New York

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Jones is definitely seeing a meteoric rise, but I don't think he's the "face" of the UFC quite yet; that title is reserved for George St. Pierre, and it will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Rich Cranium
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
He still has to win some title defenses in my book to be 'face' of the UFC!

thedominator92
03-21-2011, 07:41 PM
He still has to win some title defenses in my book to be 'face' of the UFC!

I meant to put next face of the ufc

Androo
03-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Jones was impressive! I thought he was great in that fight. I agree Dana will be loving this. But when i think UFC, i think Silva and GSP (at the moment). I think Dana loves his brash, arrogant, cocky, mouthy fighters, who promote the shit outta bouts etc. Jones gives him something else - the young, cleancut, by the Book, well mannered, wholesome, good boy, something for the young kids to look to. He's getting there though, to the face of UFC.

BoycottTNA
03-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Needs up work on his talking a little and defend the belt a few times (not including relegating Rashad to Strikeforce) then he will be the face of the UFC. Give it a year or two and he could be huge for MMA getting more mainstream attention

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Jones was impressive! I thought he was great in that fight. I agree Dana will be loving this. But when i think UFC, i think Silva and GSP (at the moment). I think Dana loves his brash, arrogant, cocky, mouthy fighters, who promote the shit outta bouts etc. Jones gives him something else - the young, cleancut, by the Book, well mannered, wholesome, good boy, something for the young kids to look to. He's getting there though, to the face of UFC.
He's already got that in GSP.

And Dana might love the arrogant and cocky guys for selling fights, but he's known to be a bigger fan of the much-respected professional types that he can prop up to fight the perception that the sport consists of nothing but meat-headed barbarians.

Androo
03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
He's already got that in GSP.

And Dana might love the arrogant and cocky guys for selling fights, but he's known to be a bigger fan of the much-respected professional types that he can prop up to fight the perception that the sport consists of nothing but meat-headed barbarians.

I agree, thats true. I love GSP, but GSP is older now, plus hes more straightlaced, stern personality, people might not be able to connect with him, feel for him, as much as Jones. Also Jones is American born an bred, an all American boy?

Yeah thats what i meant about the cocky guys - just for selling fights. Like a Ramapage, Bisping. Definately agree with bolded, didnt actually think of that to begin with, like a Cotoure? Hughes?

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree, thats true. I love GSP, but GSP is older now, plus hes more straightlaced, stern personality, people might not be able to connect with him, feel for him, as much as Jones. Also Jones is American born an bred, an all American boy?
Canadians connect with GSP in a BIG way, and he's sort of paved the way for the UFC to exploit that massive untapped market (making him one of the most valuable commodities in the company). And while Pierre is definitely more straight-laced when compared to many of his peers, "stern" isn't really a word that I would apply to him at all. That means harsh or severe, and I actually find GSP to be completely polite and, dare I say, sort of gentle. His terrific sportsmanship and affable nature make him extremely appealing to fans which in turn makes him very appealing to sponsors. And while GSP might not be young as far as the fight game is concerned, he's still at the peak of his career and will be for another 2 to 3 years, easily.

Yeah thats what i meant about the cocky guys - just for selling fights. Like a Ramapage, Bisping. Definately agree with bolded, didnt actually think of that to begin with, like a Cotoure? Hughes?
Hughes is a hick and a bully, and he also has that religious slant about him which alienates a lot of people. Couture, on the other hand, is a perfect example of what I was referring to.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Canadians connect with GSP in a BIG way, and he's sort of paved the way for the UFC to exploit that massive untapped market (making him one of the most valuable commodities in the company). And while Pierre is definitely more straight-laced when compared to many of his peers, "stern" isn't really a word that I would apply to him at all. That means harsh or severe, and I actually find GSP to be completely polite and, dare I say, sort of gentle. His terrific sportsmanship and affable nature make him extremely appealing to fans which in turn makes him very appealing to sponsors. And while GSP might not be young as far as the fight game is concerned, he's still at the peak of his career and will be for another 2 to 3 years, easily.

Hughes is a hick and a bully, and he also has that religious slant about him which alienates a lot of people. Couture, on the other hand, is a perfect example of what I was referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg

Matt Huges 9-time UFC Welterweight Champion is my all time favorite. I had to put my two cents in on this matter. That is all.

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Matt Huges 9-time UFC Welterweight Champion is my all time favorite. I had to put my two cents in on this matter. That is all.
Haha 9-time Welterwight Champion? How did you come up with that, exactly? Successful title defenses are not the same thing as separate title reigns. ;)

thedominator92
03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Haha 9-time Welterwight Champion? How did you come up with that, exactly? Successful title defenses are not the same thing as separate title reigns. ;)

Do you dare question the INFINITE KNOWLEDGE OF IPITS?

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-21-2011, 09:25 PM

2 NOV 01
UFC 34
High Voltage 22 MAR 02
UFC 36
Worlds Collide
13 JUL 02
UFC 38
Brawl at the Royal Albert Hall 22 NOV 01
UFC 40
Vendetta
25 APR 03
UFC 42
Sudden Impact 21 NOV 01
UFC 45
Revolution
22 OCT 04
UFC 50
The War of \’04 16 APR 05
UFC 52
Couture vs. Liddell 2
23 SEP 06
UFC 63
Hughes vs. Penn

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 09:31 PM
2 NOV 01
UFC 34
High Voltage 22 MAR 02
UFC 36
Worlds Collide
13 JUL 02
UFC 38
Brawl at the Royal Albert Hall 22 NOV 01
UFC 40
Vendetta
25 APR 03
UFC 42
Sudden Impact 21 NOV 01
UFC 45
Revolution
22 OCT 04
UFC 50
The War of \’04 16 APR 05
UFC 52
Couture vs. Liddell 2
23 SEP 06
UFC 63
Hughes vs. Penn
I'm aware of all of those fights. I just don't consider successful title defenses as title wins, as to me that implies that he also lost the title 9 times. Seems to be a matter of semantics, though, as you're not the only one who looks at it that way, either.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm aware of all of those fights. I just don't consider successful title defenses as title wins, as to me that implies that he also lost the title 9 times. Seems to be a matter of semantics, though, as you're not the only one who looks at it that way, either.

He is my all time favorite Iron Ape, I guess I'm just standing up for my boy and trying to make him better than he was. In all honesty I agree with you I don't consider successful title defenses as title wins either. I'm looking at it through " a big time fan " eyes and not a neutral point of view.

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 09:57 PM
He is my all time favorite Iron Ape, I guess I'm just standing up for my boy and trying to make him better than he was. In all honesty I agree with you I don't consider successful title defenses as title wins either. I'm looking at it through " a big time fan " eyes and not a neutral point of view.
No, I get where you're coming from, man. I honestly don't think either one of us is really wrong. And Hughes was a great fighter. I'm not looking to take away from any of his accomplishments; I actually used to be a fan. I just sort of soured on the guy after the season where he was a coach on TUF. Not only did I think he was a bit of an ass for the way that he was bullying some of the talent, but I also wasn't particularly fond of how he was trying to force his beliefs in Jesus on some of his team. I just don't see how any of that stuff has a place in the cage, but to each their own, I guess.

This makes me laugh every time I see it, though:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/270624/matt-hughes-mullet_medium.jpg

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-21-2011, 10:04 PM
No, I get where you're coming from, man. I honestly don't think either one of us is really wrong. And Hughes was a great fighter. I'm not looking to take away from any of his accomplishments; I actually used to be a fan. I just sort of soured on the guy after the season where he was a coach on TUF. Not only did I think he was a bit of an ass for the way that he was bullying some of the talent, but I also wasn't particularly fond of how he was trying to force his beliefs in Jesus on some of his team. I just don't see how any of that stuff has a place in the cage, but to each their own, I guess.

This makes me laugh every time I see it, though:

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/270624/matt-hughes-mullet_medium.jpg

I have to admit I didn't see much of that season of The Ultimate Fighter. Shoving anything down one's throat is never a good idea, (well there are exceptions to that rule);)

Robstar
03-21-2011, 11:37 PM
To quote Robert Frost -
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Jones is still a fresh face, the new kid. Sure he looks the goods, but he has a few miles to go, don't you think, before his legend is written.

Robstar
03-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Matt Hughes is a bully - be it training or belief system, he openly derides those with a differing opinion and it's stopped me from respecting him more than I do. I respect the fighter, but not the man.

Also, I think Jones attitude will be bought into question - can he stand up to that? Catching 1 mugger doesn't make you a saint! ;)

Iron Ape
03-21-2011, 11:45 PM
To quote Robert Frost -
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Jones is still a fresh face, the new kid. Sure he looks the goods, but he has a few miles to go, don't you think, before his legend is written.

People just can't let things happen organically anymore. Whenever someone new and promising comes along, they've got to be labeled the new this and the best that, before they've even had the opportunity to truly prove that they're actually worthy of such titles.

Androo
03-21-2011, 11:58 PM

I completely agree with everything you write about GSP. Yes 'stern' was the wrong word then, as what you described of GSP is the reason i love him, hes not a bully, imposing himself on others. I actually relate to him alot, although i have relatively none of his fighting skills lol. I think what I was trying to say was, not emotionless, but doesnt show alot of emotion, rarely gives much away in the build up to a fight.

As for Hughes I really didnt know much about him, other than watching his fights, and the way he came across to me in post-fight interviews. And as you've mentioned about him in TUF, i never seen that season, so never knew of his actions in that show. Coutour just seems like a stand-up kinda guy, a nice guy. Ive always thought of Forrest Griffin like that aswell. Could he be another example of what you were reffering to?

Iron Ape
03-22-2011, 12:21 AM
I completely agree with everything you write about GSP. Yes 'stern' was the wrong word then, as what you described of GSP is the reason i love him, hes not a bully, imposing himself on others. I actually relate to him alot, although i have relatively none of his fighting skills lol. I think what I was trying to say was, not emotionless, but doesnt show alot of emotion, rarely gives much away in the build up to a fight.

As for Hughes I really didnt know much about him, other than watching his fights, and the way he came across to me in post-fight interviews. And as you've mentioned about him in TUF, i never seen that season, so never knew of his actions in that show. Coutour just seems like a stand-up kinda guy, a nice guy. Ive always thought of Forrest Griffin like that aswell. Could he be another example of what you were reffering to?
Yeah, Forrest is a well-spoken, articulate, and charismatic guy who is almost always a professional (with the one exception being his little man-tantrum at the end of his mauling at the hands of Anderson Silva, where he stormed out of the cage to go home and cry his little heart out). Forrest was also the winner in what was, arguably, the most important fight in the history of the UFC. His classic with Stephan Bonnar at the end of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter was a true turning point for not only the company, but also the sport in general, and I think that kind of forever solidifies his position as a promotable and marketable key figure in the company.

Kashdinero
03-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Jones has the "tools" to stay on top for a very long time, but geez, give him a chance to establish himself before he's labelled as the new face of the biggest MMA company in the world. Remember, he was only a last minute replacement, and if truth be told, he's been thrust into the spotlight before he's ready. Many a young prodigy has gone down hill fast after their, inevitable, first defeat at the hands (or feet) of the next great (insert colour) hope. Lyoto Machida was the "new face" about a year and a half ago, and now look at him! (I hope he destroys Coture and gets back in the title picture)
Saying that, there is something special about this guy, and once he destroys Rashad he has a whole heap of potential victims. The Light Heavyweight division has more depth than any other, but after his recent showings it's hard to fathom anyone beating him. Maybe if Anderson Silva finally takes the plunge full time into the icy waters of the "glamour division", will he be truly tested.

thedominator92
03-22-2011, 06:43 AM
i want to see Bones jones vs Mr. Wonderful Phil Davis that would be a war