PDA

View Full Version : TNA sports entertainment

Stinger187
03-18-2011, 06:46 AM
Okay when I first started watching TNA it was because I was so sick of all the talking they did on RAW/SD. Ever since Reaction got canned TNA is more like Sports Entertainment(like WWE) than a wrestling brand, which sucks. I sat and watched iMPACT last night with no DVR(hardest thing i've done) and it was so much like WWE it was like i was watching a third less popular WWE show *cough SuperStars *cough! Why the hell does TNA want to be a WWE copy, they where a wrestling company but now Sports Entertainment.

Dax
03-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Wrestling = Sports Entertainment, and it has been since the early 80s. But quite honestly, I don't see many similiarities between TNA and WWE. On the contrary, I see quite a few similarities between TNA and WCW. (Constant factions, Hulk Hogan, Mike Tenay, and even theme music.) With that said, if you don't like either product and want to see "wrestling", UFC would be a good alternative for you.

Justdawg08
03-18-2011, 07:54 AM
People say TNA is like WWE...

People say TNA is like WCW...

People say TNA is like WWF Attitude Era...

People say TNA is like ECW...

Guess why? BECAUSE ITS PRO FUCKING WRESTLING AND ITS ALL THE SAME GENERAL CONCEPT!!!!!!!!!!

You've just been told.

THEKEVINBRAND
03-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Guess why? BECAUSE ITS PRO FUCKING WRESTLING AND ITS ALL THE SAME GENERAL CONCEPT!!!!!!!!!!

You've just been told.

Same thing when the WWF was compared to the NWA territories in the 80s

Dax
03-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh? So ECW and WCW are easily comparable? No, they're not. Neither is AJPW and ROH, NJPW and WWE, I can go on and on... But the fact is, you're wrong. Sure, pro wrestling uses the same general concept of "let's make a fued, have these two guys hate each other for one reason or another, and build to the climax." But when you are using the same god damned "bow wowowow" concept that was created FOR WCW, it is safe to say "wow, that is like WCW."

I would disagree with all comparisons except the TNA-WCW one, which anyone who watched WCW in the late 90s would probably agree with me. In any case, you are right that it all has the same "general concept," but you are wrong that comparisons cannot be made with blatant recycled themes, wrestlers and play-by-play announcers.

shanethewolf
03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
"People say TNA is like WWF Attitude Era...

People say TNA is like ECW..."

Do people say this? TNA is nothing like either of these. TNA is more of a WWE/WCW tribute show, the wrestling equivalent of some 60 year old Elvis impersonator who performs in a local bar for 10 bucks a night.

SevenCagedTigers
03-18-2011, 11:16 AM

You've just been told.

But TNA used to not be anything like WWE/WCW/ECW, thats why people liked it so... youre wrong.

Either that or you simply weren't around 5 years ago to see how different TNA was from everything else.

AndyWonder
03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think TNA is that similar to WWE because of the fact that WWE knows how to actually have feuds and stories that aren't confusing. When Jeff Hardy beat Mr. Anderson for the TNA heavyweight title in February, immediately a feud with Rob Van Dam should have started and led to Victory Road instead of a "one and done" title match on IMPACT. RVD and Hardy still had problems to resolve. Then all of a sudden Sting beats Hardy for the title out of the blue on IMPACT. Now RVD and MR. Anderson, 2 faces, are battling for #1 contendership, and Sting, who is supposed to be another face, is messing things up.

brodius
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Okay when I first started watching TNA it was because I was so sick of all the talking they did on RAW/SD. Ever since Reaction got canned TNA is more like Sports Entertainment(like WWE) than a wrestling brand, which sucks. I sat and watched iMPACT last night with no DVR(hardest thing i've done) and it was so much like WWE it was like i was watching a third less popular WWE show *cough SuperStars *cough! Why the hell does TNA want to be a WWE copy, they where a wrestling company but now Sports Entertainment.

If you want to get away from sports entertainment watch ROH. It is less talk and more action.

AndyWonder
03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
WWE's stories are at least easier to understand. WWE champ The Miz is feeling overshadowed by The Rock and John Cena; CM Punk is trying to get revenge on Randy Orton for something that happened 2 1/2 years ago; HHH wants to end 'Taker's streak; Christian is helping Edge fend off Alberto Del Rio.

Justdawg08
03-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Tommy Dreamer himself has compared ECW to TNA.

I've heard members of this forum compare TNA to WWF Attitude Era... Russo was the writer during the attitude era... and TNA is a lil hardcore edgy nuts like Raw used to be.

The Brown One
03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
WWE's stories are at least easier to understand. WWE champ The Miz is feeling overshadowed by The Rock and John Cena; CM Punk is trying to get revenge on Randy Orton for something that happened 2 1/2 years ago; HHH wants to end 'Taker's streak; Christian is helping Edge fend off Alberto Del Rio.

Yes somehow many things make sense. I bet 2 years down the line, they will have Barrett and Cena feud again, for Cena getting him kicked out of The Nexus, and being "fired".

Lowki
03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Tommy Dreamer himself has compared ECW to TNA.

I've heard members of this forum compare TNA to WWF Attitude Era... Russo was the writer during the attitude era... and TNA is a lil hardcore edgy nuts like Raw used to be.
That was dreamer selling TNA to the ECW faithful. Not a fan comparison. I've seen the "edgy" comment but nobody has made the comparison to the attitude era.. I mean when russo was there WWE were pulling in 7s. When WCW died it was pulling in 2s (close to TNA now) so now do you see the WCW comparison? I'll add more; Fortune v Immortal = Millionaire's club v new blood part 2. Younger talent being buried behind more established names in both companies (WCW was guilty of that for most of it's life span and rarely elevated new talent (exceptions are Giant, Goldberg and DDP) during it's last 7-8 years.