PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Technical Wrestler of all Time Tournament. Officail Thread.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Here are the official seedings and match-ups in the first round based off of how many votes each individual recieved. Look it over, see who made it and who didn't. Btw, I couldn't arrange this quite like I wanted to, so to clarify, the winner of the Flair bracket will face the winner of the Sammartino bracket and the same goes for the Hart and Michaels bracket.

Ric Flair Bracket:
1 Ric Flair vs. 8 The Undertaker
4 Brock Lesner vs. 5 Tito Santana
3 Dusty Rhodes vs. 6 Ultimo Dragon
2 Chris Benoit vs. 7 Sting

Bruno Sammartino Bracket:
1 Bruno Sammartino vs. 8 Chavo Guerrero
4 CM Punk vs. 5 Shelton Benjamin
3 Owen Hart vs. 6 Ted Dibiase
2 Kurt Angle vs. 7 Tazz

Shawn Michaels Bracket:
1 Shawn Michaels vs. 8 Charlie Haas
4 Eddie Guerrero vs. 5 William Regal
3 Chris Jericho vs. 6 Jake Roberts
2 Pat Patterson vs. 7 Edge

Bret Hart Bracket:
1 Bret Hart vs. 8 Daniel Bryan
4 Mr. Perfect vs. 5 Dean Malenko
3 Arn Anderson vs. 6 Christian
2 Ricky Steamboat vs. 7 Jack Swagger

I'd like this in it's own right to create a lively discussion. Who made the tourny that shouldn't have? Who got snubbed? What is the toughest first round match-up? Which bracket is the toughest? Which is the easiest? Who is in store for a potential early upset? Who in your mind is the early favorite?

Another question I'd like for everyone to ponder is: Should I create a new thread for each individual match-up or should I just keep it all on this thread? The only thing about creating a new thread for each match-up is (besides being slightly more work for me) that it'll probably create a lot of clutter in the WWE thread (i.e. the entire thread might be dominated by the tournament). However, if I do create a new thread for each match-up, it'll be easier to find the individual match-ups for you guys, and I get to add a poll. Just something to think about.

Ruggy
09-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Howcould you leave Hulk Hogan out of this?? ;)

Kidding

Dean Malenko was quality.

shanethewolf
09-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Mr Perfect gets my vote for the whole tournament! Best wrestler of all time in my opinion.

wallyman
09-18-2010, 05:47 PM
chris benoit out of all times hands down...reversals and evetything he did was amazin...althought people dont like him for what he did but i am sure he didnt do it it was his condition that did it...so his ring work is flawless

Tha Crows Nest
09-18-2010, 06:01 PM
1 Ric Flair
4 Brock Lesner
6 Ultimo Dragon
2 Chris Benoit

1 Bruno Sammartino
4 CM Punk
3 Owen Hart
2 Kurt Angle

1 Shawn Michaels
4 Eddie Guerrero
3 Chris Jericho
7 Edge

1 Bret Hart
5 Dean Malenko
6 Christian
2 Ricky Steamboat

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-18-2010, 06:06 PM
chris benoit out of all times hands down...reversals and evetything he did was amazin...althought people dont like him for what he did but i am sure he didnt do it it was his condition that did it...so his ring work is flawless

You bring up a GREAT point wallyman. For the purposes of this tournament, I'd perfer that people keep their personal opinions on the Chris Benoit situation to themselves. After all, we are not judging what kind of people these individuals are, we are judging thier in-ring talent and Benoit had loads of that, and some to spare.

On a lighter note, I'd like to answer my own questions. I don't know about not deserving to be in, but I think Brock Lesner clearly doesn't deserve to be seeded so high (personally, I think Daniel Bryan and Sting can wrestle circles around him). I definatly think DDP and Randy Savage got snubbed though. I feel both should have made it. Dean Malenko v Mr. Perfect and Chris Benoit v Sting I think are the hardest match-ups. I think Sammartino's Bracket is the hardest and either Ric Flair's or Shawn Michaels' bracket is the easiest. I have a feeling some of the older guys will get upset early, simply because of the "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy. Additionally, Bret Hart and Chris Benoit both have ridiculously tough first round match-ups imo. The early favorite imo: Shawn Michaels, for the following reasons. 1) He is very well liked. 2) He is still fresh in peoples minds. 3) He is very well deserving of the title (along with many others too, but if Shawn ends up with it, I don't think anyone can really complain).

WWTNA
09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
kurt angle and shawn michaels is the best wrestlers period these two could have a match with anybody and make them look good

Freder
09-18-2010, 08:42 PM
toughest to call Owen vs Dibiase or Hennig vs Malenko, easiest Sammartino over Chavo and Steamboat over Swagger

djsoulslayer
09-18-2010, 09:00 PM

I completely agree. You can't overlook the man's accomplishments because of his flaws. He was one of the greatest I had ever seen.

Splattered-Dreams
09-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Lance Storm, anyone?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Lance Storm, anyone?

Lance Storm was very close to making it. In fact, it was up to him and a few other guys to make the final spot. If he had gotten one more vote he would have made it.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-18-2010, 09:58 PM
You know, I just thought of someone that, while he may not have made the actual tourny, I think he should have at least gotten considerations and that is Low-Ki. Just a thought.

Enlgish_TNA4LYF_FAN
09-18-2010, 11:41 PM
hmmm very underrated

i still think kurt angle and chris benoit are the best technical wrestles of ALL time
but william regal is also amazin

now the best are

bryan danielson
desmonde wolfe
doug williams
shelton benjamin
kurt angle
AJ styles
nd john cena ;) HEHE

Incubus_99
09-19-2010, 12:14 AM
How come no ones mentioned Harley Race?...

IrkenInvader
09-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Undertaker
Lesnar
Ultimo
Benoit

Sammartino (Hardest bracket)
Benjamin
Hart
Angle (hardest first round match up) (early fav)

Haas
Reagal
Jericho (easiest bracket)
Patterson

Bryan
Perfect
Anderson
Swagger

Robstar
09-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Where's Harley Race? Dory Funk Jr? Antonio Inoki? Lou Thesz? Verne Gagne? Nick Bockwinkel? Tully Blanchard? Bob Backlund? My oh my - short memory guys! ;)

AngrySamoan
09-19-2010, 02:47 AM
Ric Flair Bracket:
1 Ric Flair vs. 8 The Undertaker (Flair)
4 Brock Lesner vs. 5 Tito Santana (Lesnar)
3 Dusty Rhodes vs. 6 Ultimo Dragon (Dragon)
2 Chris Benoit vs. 7 Sting (Benoit)

Bruno Sammartino Bracket:
1 Bruno Sammartino vs. 8 Chavo Guerrero (Chavo)
4 CM Punk vs. 5 Shelton Benjamin (CM Punk)
3 Owen Hart vs. 6 Ted Dibiase (Hart)
2 Kurt Angle vs. 7 Tazz (Angle)

Shawn Michaels Bracket:
1 Shawn Michaels vs. 8 Charlie Haas (Shawn Michaels)
4 Eddie Guerrero vs. 5 William Regal (Guerrero)
3 Chris Jericho vs. 6 Jake Roberts (Jericho)
2 Pat Patterson vs. 7 Edge (Edge)

Bret Hart Bracket:
1 Bret Hart vs. 8 Daniel Bryan (Hart)
4 Mr. Perfect vs. 5 Dean Malenko (Perfect)
3 Arn Anderson vs. 6 Christian (Anderson)
2 Ricky Steamboat vs. 7 Jack Swagger (Steamboat)

MattElder
09-19-2010, 04:40 AM
DDP?LOL he's a gloryfied announcer wheres as brock lesnay was one of the greatest amateur wrestlers around!!!!

anyway heres my go!!!!

Ric Flair Bracket:
1 Ric Flair vs. 8 The Undertaker
4 Brock Lesner vs. 5 Tito Santana
3 Dusty Rhodes vs. 6 Ultimo Dragon
2 Chris Benoit vs. 7 Sting

Bruno Sammartino Bracket: (Hardest bracket)
1 Bruno Sammartino vs. 8 Chavo Guerrero
4 CM Punk vs. 5 Shelton Benjamin
3 Owen Hart vs. 6 Ted Dibiase
2 Kurt Angle vs. 7 Tazz (Angle early favourite)

Shawn Michaels Bracket:
1 Shawn Michaels vs. 8 Charlie Haas
4 Eddie Guerrero vs. 5 William Regal
3 Chris Jericho vs. 6 Jake Roberts
2 Pat Patterson vs. 7 Edge

Bret Hart Bracket:
1 Bret Hart vs. 8 Daniel Bryan
4 Mr. Perfect vs. 5 Dean Malenko
3 Arn Anderson vs. 6 Christian
2 Ricky Steamboat vs. 7 Jack Swagger (underdog)

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Where's Harley Race? Dory Funk Jr? Antonio Inoki? Lou Thesz? Verne Gagne? Nick Bockwinkel? Tully Blanchard? Bob Backlund? My oh my - short memory guys! ;)

No offense but, where were you when it came down to voting for your favorites? I can tell you now, Backlund and Tully Blanchard would have been very close with only one or two more votes.

Ruggy
09-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Has to be Bret in all fairness, then Benoit, then Angle.

AndyWonder
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Flair vs. Santana
Benoit vs. Dragon
Chavo vs. Shelton
Owen vs. Kurt
HBK vs. Regal
Y2J vs. Patterson
Bret vs. Christian
Malenko vs. Steamboat

Flair vs. Benoit-----winner: Benoit
Shelton vs. Kurt-----winner: Kurt
Regal vs. Y2J-----winner: Regal
Bret vs. Malenko-----winner:Bret

Benoit vs. Kurt-----winner: Kurt
Bret vs. Regal-----winner: Bret

Bret Hart vs. Kurt Angle-----winner: Kurt Angle

shanethewolf
09-19-2010, 09:10 AM
I guess one thing you have to take into consideration is how WWE represses their wrestlers. If you watch someone like William Regal or Dean Malenko in Japan or the indies, you'll see they're a LOT better than they look on WWE TV. CM Punk and Bryan Danielson were incredible in ROH, Jericho was awesome in ECW and WCW, but they're really toned down in WWE.

I'm surprised by names like Lance Storm being left out (especially when you have Undertaker, Chavo, Dusty Rhodes and Sting on the list), but what about the Dynamite Kid? Many say he was one of the best of all time and it's no secret that Benoit took a lot of inspiration from him. Personally, I would add Perry Saturn to the list too. He never got the push he deserved and never got to show his skills in WWF/E but he was on par with the best main eventers in my opinion.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I guess one thing you have to take into consideration is how WWE represses their wrestlers. If you watch someone like William Regal or Dean Malenko in Japan or the indies, you'll see they're a LOT better than they look on WWE TV. CM Punk and Bryan Danielson were incredible in ROH, Jericho was awesome in ECW and WCW, but they're really toned down in WWE.

I'm surprised by names like Lance Storm being left out (especially when you have Undertaker, Chavo, Dusty Rhodes and Sting on the list), but what about the Dynamite Kid? Many say he was one of the best of all time and it's no secret that Benoit took a lot of inspiration from him. Personally, I would add Perry Saturn to the list too. He never got the push he deserved and never got to show his skills in WWF/E but he was on par with the best main eventers in my opinion.

Good point with your first paragraph, Vince really has toned his guys down. However I must say that on your second point, again where were you on the voting? I wanted much more opionons then I got, and I even extended the voting period by two hours. I had to go with who got the most votes, regardless of who I personally thought should have been in.

Young Guns
09-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Why has everyone forgot about The Great Khali? Wait, is this the "Greatest Technical Wrestler of all Time Tournament. Officail Thread"? Sorry, wrong thread...

Robstar
09-19-2010, 02:49 PM
No offense but, where were you when it came down to voting for your favorites? I can tell you now, Backlund and Tully Blanchard would have been very close with only one or two more votes.

True I missed the vote but I would have thought some of these names were unmissable. And there's always the rest of Japan you could put in there too.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-19-2010, 03:10 PM
True I missed the vote but I would have thought some of these names were unmissable. And there's always the rest of Japan you could put in there too.

I didn't put any NOAH or TNA guys in, since it's a WWE thread. Otherwise I definatly would have added some more guys (namely KENTA, Misawa, AJ Styles, Lou Thesz, Muta, and possibly even Nigel McGuinness and Samoa Joe)

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Guy's I think it's time to get this thing started. I want to do 4 match-ups today (one from each bracket) and since no one answered my question I have decided that i will add an additional thread for each match-up because I really think it would be easier for all of us. And if a mod asks me to stop due to cluttering of the forum, I will promptly do so.

Ruggy
09-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Yes, but are we going on technical ability?? If so, Ric Flair shouldn't be in it. Going by power-play, then Hogan has to be in there.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, but are we going on technical ability?? If so, Ric Flair shouldn't be in it. Going by power-play, then Hogan has to be in there.

Are you insinuating Flair doesn't have technical ability? Or is that a typo?

Ruggy
09-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Typo indeed.... Yep I love Flair, but the only move of any note he used was the "Figure 4". I do not count arm-bars and walking into the centre of the ring and falling over.

shanethewolf
09-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Typo indeed.... Yep I love Flair, but the only move of any note he used was the "Figure 4". I do not count arm-bars and walking into the centre of the ring and falling over.

I agree 100% with you on that. I've never understood why Flair gets rated as highly as he does, especially as a technical wrestler.