PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Ufc buys strikeforce!

THEKEVINBRAND
03-12-2011, 01:47 PM
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's parent company now owns its closest competitor.

Zuffa has purchased Strikeforce, UFC President Dana White told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. The news was made public on Saturday.

With the purchase, UFC now controls the contracts of almost every fighter in the USA TODAY/SB Nation consensus rankings, other than a few athletes in Bellator Fighting Championships and a handful of Japanese competitors at lighter weights.

Nothing changes for the brands in the near term, White said. Strikeforce has a deal to run several events this year on Showtime, a network that White has publicly disparaged often. Zuffa co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta can handle any dealings with Showtime, White told MMA Fighting.

"Lorenzo can go over there and deal with Showtime," White said. "I'm sure the last time Showtime wants to see is me show up at the doorstep and go over and start having conversations. And that's no big deal. ... there's a lot of guys on that side of the table who don't like me."

The fighters in Strikeforce will continue to fight for that organization and deal mainly with Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, White said. Although UFC can help Strikeforce grow and tweak the operation, for now there will be no crossover between the brands as far as sharing fighters, he said.

"We won't be doing any superfights," White said. "Even when we own it, we don't co-promote, period."

SilverGhost
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
That is great. Also a good idea to not mix the fighters.

Rich Cranium
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
It's like when WWE bought WCW. I hope this doesn't interfere with the Strikeforce Tournament!

The New Guy
03-12-2011, 02:02 PM
It's like when WWE bought WCW. I hope this doesn't interfere with the Strikeforce Tournament!

History has been made guys. This is huge. I'm extremely excited :)

Rich Cranium
03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, at least there is not an 'invasion angle'! So, I take it the SF tourny will not be interrupted. My hat's off to Dana for his approach!

The New Guy
03-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Could this means that Batista/Lashley is off?
I hope so :)

Rich Cranium
03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Could this means that Batista/Lashley is off?
I hope so :)

Lashley is in the MMA 'indy's' anyway. He is in the TFC!

Kashdinero
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Lashley is in the MMA 'indy's' anyway. He is in the TFC!

I reckon that was by choice, as Lash is a proud guy and that loss must have seriously crushed his confidence. Bobbys in this for the long haul, and Dana would be stupid to deny him a return to StrikeForce.

Side note: I'm not too happy about this buyout, as they have some guys there that Dana has refused to work with again, and we may be deprived from seeing some of StrikeForces UFC rejects.

Rich Cranium
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I reckon that was by choice, as Lash is a proud guy and that loss must have seriously crushed his confidence. Bobbys in this for the long haul, and Dana would be stupid to deny him a return to StrikeForce.

Chadd Griggs is a beast!

Side note: I'm not too happy about this buyout, as they have some guys there that Dana has refused to work with again, and we may be deprived from seeing some of StrikeForces UFC rejects.

Again, Chad Griggs!

thedominator92
03-12-2011, 02:52 PM
i feel bad for fighters like Reem, who will no longer be able to do K1 or fight for other promotions.

Kashdinero
03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Chadd Griggs is a beast!

For a normal bloke he is really impressive!

Again, Chad Griggs!

My point exactly. Hendo, Diaz and Daley can be added to that list, as I'm sure many others can as well.

Robstar
03-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Let's not forget the UFC isn't just Dana. But he is remarkably Vince-like when it comes to having personal issues with some fighters. It also might mean those who look to continue the tail end of their careers elsewhere might have to look to Japan or the 'indy's' lol. Pity they couldn't seal the deal before Fedor went off the boil.

They merged WEC with UFC right? And they intend on keeping Strikeforce seperate? Is that right?

Rich Cranium
03-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Glad my use of 'indy's' for MMA caught on just like your 'barnyard'!

Kashdinero
03-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Let's not forget the UFC isn't just Dana. But he is remarkably Vince-like when it comes to having personal issues with some fighters. It also might mean those who look to continue the tail end of their careers elsewhere might have to look to Japan or the 'indy's' lol. Pity they couldn't seal the deal before Fedor went off the boil.

They merged WEC with UFC right? And they intend on keeping Strikeforce seperate? Is that right?

I seriously hope Dana has as little to do with the hiring and firing as possible.

SaberToothTigerz
03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
does this means wwe has to push faster to keep up with the rivalry?

thejman93
03-12-2011, 05:07 PM
does this means wwe has to push faster to keep up with the rivalry?

What rivalry? The two promotions appeal to mostly different audiences.

Rich Cranium
03-12-2011, 05:13 PM
I seriously hope Dana has as little to do with the hiring and firing as possible.

I think he actually has a lot to do with it. Lorenzo will do pretty much anything Dana advises imo. Notice whenever Dana says after a fight that such and such are gone, they are indeed gone.

thejman93
03-12-2011, 05:17 PM
So if the brands are staying seperate then why the fuss? I would understand if we were going to get superfights out of this but that apparently isn't the case.

Robstar
03-12-2011, 05:29 PM
You'd have to consider Strikeforce talent to be on equal footing with UFC and by and large, I DO NOT. There are a few but not many 'superfights' in the offing

Kashdinero
03-12-2011, 07:26 PM
You'd have to consider Strikeforce talent to be on equal footing with UFC and by and large, I DO NOT. There are a few but not many 'superfights' in the offing

The winner of the Grand Prix Vs whoever the UFC heavyweight champ is at the time (probably Cain), to see who the ultimate fighter truly is :)

Seriously though, I hope there's no merger, and they stay as separate entities for the foreseeable future. As we all know, one dominant company, in any medium, sucks major league donkey ballz.

Robstar
03-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Check this out -

-- WWE's Joey Styles and TNA's Bob Ryder have engaged in a bit of a Twitter war, after Styles mentioned the recent attendance at a TNA house show. Ryder and Styles co-owned a pro wrestling website back in the day. Here is the exchange they had…

* Joey Styles: "TNA in Poughkeepsie NY last night didn't have Dreamer, Foley or Dudleys ...and didn't have sell out either. The local Indy sells out there."

* Bob Ryder: "Can't figure out why @JoeyStyles takes cheap shots at TNA. Especially given how often he has said he would like to work there."

* Joey Styles: "To clarify, I'm not criticizing TNA for not selling out but rather the TNA employee that didn't book past ECW wrestlers in NY so they did."

* Bob Ryder: "Glad to hear @JoeyStyles has all the answers to how to sell out buildings. WWE live event business is down. They could use his help."

* Joey Styles: "Here's news much more important than my TNA musings; UFC bought Strikeforce! That is the MMA equivalent of WWE buying TNA."

OUCH!!!

Robstar
03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
There's too amny fighters for the amount of events in UFC as it is, but it's getting better, they are finding more ways to have Fight Nights and such. But really, how large can the pool be for it to be realistically elite? Strikeforce can be like UFC's FCW.....lol

Kashdinero
03-12-2011, 08:43 PM
There's too amny fighters for the amount of events in UFC as it is, but it's getting better, they are finding more ways to have Fight Nights and such. But really, how large can the pool be for it to be realistically elite? Strikeforce can be like UFC's FCW.....lol

I'll laugh out loud if Dana clears out 90% of the Strikeforce roster and replaces them with the WEW roster.

thedominator92
03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
the same thing that happened to Pride is going to happen to strikeforce. I am the only one who thinks an mma monopoly is going to hurt the sport?

Kashdinero
03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
the same thing that happened to Pride is going to happen to strikeforce. I am the only one who thinks an mma monopoly is going to hurt the sport?

If that happens then a new player will enter the game. Might take a while but it'll happen, sooner or later. But at the moment (which is what it's all about) it's interesting times in the world of MMA.

lostbot101
03-13-2011, 01:38 AM

yep and just like wrestling it's all down hill from here

cy1911
03-13-2011, 01:46 AM
im sorry but everyone of you is not a fan of mma. you all lack knowledge and compare it to wrestling. first off cain will not be champon he isn't near the title and is charged with steroids. Mma will not downward spiral when its growing everyday with new fighters. that's basic knowledge it just frustrates me when wrestling fans who barely watch mix martial arts claim they know everything and say its similar to wrestling. its not wwe, roh, tna its real fighting. its a fricking sport. this biggest joke of it all is the constant talk of batista, lashley, lesnar. Lesnar is the only one who actually is good argueably. why don't ya talk about the california kid, rua, rashad, jonny bonez jones, bj penn, gsp, these are the guys worth discussion not these dumb one's ive read. ugh

cy1911
03-13-2011, 03:42 AM
im a die hard wrestling fan. I just grew up watching both from the start. Im not like must people who started watching both a year ago or two when the game came out or when brock came into ufc

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
im sorry but everyone of you is not a fan of mma. you all lack knowledge and compare it to wrestling. first off cain will not be champon he isn't near the title and is charged with steroids. Mma will not downward spiral when its growing everyday with new fighters. that's basic knowledge it just frustrates me when wrestling fans who barely watch mix martial arts claim they know everything and say its similar to wrestling. its not wwe, roh, tna its real fighting. its a fricking sport. this biggest joke of it all is the constant talk of batista, lashley, lesnar. Lesnar is the only one who actually is good argueably. why don't ya talk about the california kid, rua, rashad, jonny bonez jones, bj penn, gsp, these are the guys worth discussion not these dumb one's ive read. ugh

Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. IPEEINTHESHOWER has watch EVERY SINGLE UFC event from the very beginning. I have been a lifelong fan, watching pride, Strikforce, Bellator and UFC. I have wisdom on this subject that far surpasses your knowledge. Here's some of that wisdom for you homeboy, the reason why people talk about Brock, Batista and Lashley is because this a a F'n Wrestling website you dipshit. Of course people are going to talk about ex-wrestlers who are in MMA. In your mind Brock goes from being the baddest man on the planet to being no good. Are you on crack son? Anyone can lose in MMA, thats the fun in it. Even your boys Rashad, BJ Penn and even the great GSP. My boy Matt Huges made him tap in the first round. So I hope my wisdom shed some light on your errors you brainless twit.

with love IPEEINTHESHOWER

HolyJose2391
03-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Wrestling is not a sport?! as a former high school wrestler I take offense to that! now if you're talking about Pro Wrestling even then you shouldn't go out of your way saying it isn't a sport I mean sure it's entertainment but you need to be in great athletic shape. now on the subject of talking about ex pro wrestlers...gee I wonder why I mean this website is called eWRESTLINGnews..we talk about them because they were wrestlers and wanna see how they're doing now. also from the looks of it before your post no one seemed to be saying they were an expert in MMA who are you to judge if they're a fan or not. I for one do not watch much MMA but I enjoy the sport and GSP is probably my favorite fighter.
now on topic. I'm not happy with this it seems as if Dana is trying to monopolize the MMA business but as someone said in due time another competitor will emerge

Rich Cranium
03-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Just a thought, sources are saying this deal isn't a good one for women fighters so maybe Cyborg has a better chance at WWE?

Rich Cranium
03-13-2011, 12:45 PM
im sorry but everyone of you is not a fan of mma.

I'm not a fan of morons!

sorry it's not real fighting. in a real fight you can do anything to winn you can't do that in mma now can you? because there are rules.
and if you don't want to hear wrestling talking about mma. why are you on a wrestling website? I'm not saying that to be mean I am just asking

MMA was originally without rules as I started watching from the beginning. Rules were set so that it woudn't be so barbaric and we don't need guys killing each other! John McCain was the one who helped make this change.

im a die hard wrestling fan. I just grew up watching both from the start. Im not like must people who started watching both a year ago or two when the game came out or when brock came into ufc

I started in 1995 so if my math is correct, that is more than a year ago!

Just a thought, sources are saying this deal isn't a good one for women fighters so maybe Cyborg has a better chance at WWE?

To add, maybe Gina too!

I never said it was pre-determined fights. what I was saying is because of rules there is to many things that you can't do order to call it a real fight. it you got in a fight on the street
there is no weight class. are rules and you can do all of these things.1.Butting with the head.
in a real fight and under stand me I'm not say that in the ufc is not real punchs. and hits or even determined fights .that why I showed that video about bruce lee. many guys that new him said he wouldn't be able to make it in mma because he was a real fighter that would do what ever it took to winn. and you can't do that in mma/ufc now can you? because of rules

Bruce Lee was what many call the father of mixed martial arts and was a bad mothaf*r! He was also a movie star that acted in 'scripted' fights on the set. See the word scripted? Now you, you are on a timeout!

cy1911
03-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Let myself state some information I myself am a wrestler in hs, the captain actually. My cousin and uncle both train mma and if anyone knows raging wolf mma thats where fighters from the gym fight at. another guy on my team trains mma at Btc and has met many top fighters such as royce gracie etc. so before anyone says they have more knowledge of mma unless you actually know the fighters personally dont tell me otherwise. I may have been wrong but some of the post just anger me over the fact that people today don't know the origin of mma or who truly was the best etc. BAck to Brock i believe he is in the top of the heavyweights i just find his striking skills terrible. he almost lost to randy couture. He needs to go to team blackhouse to improve his game if he wants to beat dos santos next and cain after theres my wisdom on the matter....

cy1911
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
and i didn't state above i train sometimes with my uncle. sambo bjj kick boxing wresting etc.

lostbot101
03-15-2011, 03:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRCmp8BVI0
Let myself state some information I myself am a wrestler in hs, the captain actually. My cousin and uncle both train mma and if anyone knows raging wolf mma thats where fighters from the gym fight at. another guy on my team trains mma at Btc and has met many top fighters such as royce gracie etc. so before anyone says they have more knowledge of mma unless you actually know the fighters personally dont tell me otherwise. I may have been wrong but some of the post just anger me over the fact that people today don't know the origin of mma or who truly was the best etc. BAck to Brock i believe he is in the top of the heavyweights i just find his striking skills terrible. he almost lost to randy couture. He needs to go to team blackhouse to improve his game if he wants to beat dos santos next and cain after theres my wisdom on the matter....

maybe this video will help you out.........lol

Robstar
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to close these threads! It was collateral damage and is now corrected :D