PDA

View Full Version : Do we need both NXT and Tough Enough?

vbirwin
03-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Forgive me if someone has already posted this but I haven't seen it. I've been thinking about this for a while but now even more so after seeing the posted participants for the new Tough Enough. Do we really need both shows? Both will follow the same basic elimination format. Both have the participants vying to get into the WWE, Both feature WWE Superstars helping the participants (NXT has Mentors while TE has trainers). The only content difference seems to be that TE will feature more training while NXT features more in ring action. I was holding off commenting because I seem to remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) the original Tough Enough was more about new people not really already in Pro Wrestling who wanted to see if they had what it took to be a Wrestler. At least that would have been a notable difference. But now that I've seen the cast for TE most of them appear to be established Indy Wrestlers. Matt Cross is already one of the more well regarded guys out there. So the only real difference I see is that NXT is for FCW guys to earn a spot while TE is for non WWE affiliated wrestlers to earn a spot.

I understand WWE looking for every option to find new superstars and kudos for that. And I'll give Tough enough a chance. I just don't see the need for both shows.

Thoughts?

PandaMassacre
03-11-2011, 09:48 AM
No. NXT was lame and always will be lame. They do not even need both shows, but they would use both shows anyway which really makes no sense to me at all... I heard that the up-coming season of NXT was called redemption.

dres1214
03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
I feel that its just something to have before shows, well before they tape smackdown. Superstars is on Raw.

KayfabeIsDead
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM
no.it will probably be better than last season with it being all ex rookies but with no tv show
its barely worth watching imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hSwJxb5WM

dres1214
03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
what a joke ^^^^^ Hornswoggle really? Really..... besides that, I like that Regal is on the announce team. I think he could be a great color commentator.

Shelts9192
03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Firstly, Superstars is filmed on both Monday and Tuesday nights, to whoever said that.

AND...
I love NXT though - because it doesn't take itself too seriously, it's funny, it has a goal and purpose, and it does show-off some pretty decent wrestling. Tough Enough was never that entertaining to me, I'll try watch it, but Miss USA? Seriously? It's just screaming PUBLICITY

I posted a thread on the two shows a couple of weeks ago; and this is pretty much the jist of it:

But many people don't like NXT and it doesnt get much viewership - and I can see why.
Where are the big names? - Cena, Edge, Orton, Kane - and the second Alberto Del Rio won the Rumble - He was also removed!
We had Jericho and Punk in season one - and that was great! And I'm not saying all the Pros should be former world champs - just mix them up with lower/mid-carders (as I like that people like Masters and Goldust get good air time too)

Now WWE is bringing back Tough Enough - WHY? Keep NXT and improve on that!
It basically contains the same aim! Why cant WWE just put Stone Cold as host of NXT, BookerT and Trish as trainers - and think of similar tasks instead of running round a ring, dicking around with dice and building blocks!! Just pre-record the tasks and show them in the arena, and weave them in with matches - the crowd doesnt give a shit what goes on in the arena on NXT now anyway.

I like the fact NXT is continuing - and I will probably watch Tough Enough for Austin - but a few episodes in, I can see it losing me. I really do think WWE just dropped the ball and should just re-invent what they've already got...

Rich Cranium
03-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Having both shows seems rather redundant to me!

efrum
03-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Do we need both shows? nope. But given that it costs WWE pretty much nothing to make NXT i see no reason why they should can it.

JLeeDude1892
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
NXT and Tough Enough are two totally different concepts though. We know that the Rookies in NXT are professional wrestlers just trying to get on WWE TV from FCW. Tough Enough is pro wrestlers earning a spot in WWE by showing what they have in terms of talent. They are relearning how to bump, run ropes, and wrestle. I think it is wise for the WWE to have both shows.

SaberToothTigerz
03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I think what people dont understand here is the wwe is loosing great main eventers right now
hbk, benoit, angle, batista, jericho.
we all know triple H, taker, rey and edge soon will be gone so what wwe needs now is to build young guys soon they need to rebuild the whole roster to make it seem reliable and believable towards every fan. They need to make their superstars get into both the grown ups and the kid's likings. it's like an emergency call from the wwe, THEY NEED to invest on the youth movement ASAP. So yes nxt and tough enough, two methods created by the wwe to invest in future talents are needed.

The Brown One
03-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I don't understand 1 thing about NXT: How can Hornswoggle be a pro if he "can't talk"?

Tommy Thunder
03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't see why WWE should get rid of NXT. Sure it's horrible with all the stupid challenges, but it does give guys from FCW a chance to perform in front of a big crowd, and they do learn from that. And like someone else said, it costs virtually nothing for WWE to make!!
And as for Hornswoggle boing a pro, well, all I'll say is, Titus O'Neill isn't a good wrestler anyway, he's going to get worse if anything with Swoggle as his pro!!

Rich Cranium
03-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't understand 1 thing about NXT: How can Hornswoggle be a pro if he "can't talk"?

Learn to speak grunt! All jokes aside, you are right!

hystrix
03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Yes. NXT could be better, but one thing it dose well is give the FCW guys some xposure. Sure it's not on TV anymore, but even 50,000 people watching them online is better than what they get in FCW. Plus, I beleive the WWE will get NXT back on the air once they find a home for it.

thedominator92
03-11-2011, 07:42 PM
nxt 5 = russo swerve

The Brown One
03-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Learn to speak grunt! All jokes aside, you are right!

Dude didn't Hornswoggle say "kiss me I'm irish!" on St Patricks Day a few years back? Lol so much for following through.

Rich Cranium
03-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I have a suspicion that this will be the last season of NXT especially with the redemption theme! Basically they might be phasing it out and not right away until they see what results they get back from Tough Enough.

Tommy Thunder
03-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I have a suspicion that this will be the last season of NXT especially with the redemption theme! Basically they might be phasing it out and not right away until they see what results they get back from Tough Enough.

Season 5 won't be the last. The winner is getting a spot on NXT 6!

The New Guy
03-11-2011, 09:10 PM
I hope NXT dies soon
Without a channel hosting it, the show is doing nothig to build new stars
Mantain Tough Enough: Reality tv is something that appels to a lot of people, and you can start getting behind the kids on the show.
Create a third brand: I know a lot of people would not agree on this but WWE is in need of a third brand like WWECW. The young movement start and develop in ECW, guys like morrison, kofi, bourne, sheamus, miz, punk were all created there. So put a third brand instead of NXT, get a channel willing to put it on tv and create stars :)

Tommy Thunder
03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I hope NXT dies soon
Without a channel hosting it, the show is doing nothig to build new stars
Mantain Tough Enough: Reality tv is something that appels to a lot of people, and you can start getting behind the kids on the show.
Create a third brand: I know a lot of people would not agree on this but WWE is in need of a third brand like WWECW. The young movement start and develop in ECW, guys like morrison, kofi, bourne, sheamus, miz, punk were all created there. So put a third brand instead of NXT, get a channel willing to put it on tv and create stars :)

In a way, Superstars is a third brand. The guys that perform on that barely appear on the 2 main shows, and all the guys that appear on Superstars are generally younger talent (Trent Barretta, JTG, Tyson Kid, DH Smith, Yoshi Tatsu, Chris Masters, Curt Hawkins etc), with a few vets to help them along (Regal, Henry etc). So in a way, Superstars is a show for the younger guys.

Rich Cranium
03-11-2011, 09:25 PM
In a way, Superstars is a third brand. The guys that perform on that barely appear on the 2 main shows, and all the guys that appear on Superstars are generally younger talent (Trent Barretta, JTG, Tyson Kid, DH Smith, Yoshi Tatsu, Chris Masters, Curt Hawkins etc), with a few vets to help them along (Regal, Henry etc). So in a way, Superstars is a show for the younger guys.

As we have discussed in the past, make that third brand for cruiserweights!

Tommy Thunder
03-11-2011, 09:29 PM

I can't remember how long I've been campaigning for that one!! I can't understand why WWE don't bring it back!! The fans want it, it would generate ratings, and showcase some excellent talents that WWE have.

The New Guy
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM

I think superstas could work, but they need to change it a little bit.
I don't think superstars is a "brand" for younger guys. Its just a brand for jobbers. But that show could put over talent. Stop wasting time recapping Raw. Put morrison in the show and teach him how to work a mic, the same with kofi, ziggler, DB, bourne and much others. Put this guys on matches, I assure you that a lot of people will tune in to see the midcarders wrestle simply cause they always put such great matches.

And if WWE insist on keeping superstars as the "jobber brand", then I insist that they should create another brand :)

furlaa
03-12-2011, 01:36 AM
No, get rid of NXT. Great to see Tough Enough back
was hoping they could do it like the Contender/ Ultimate Fighter series where it is just reality
no scripts, all wrestlers living, training & eating under one roof