PDA

View Full Version : UFC 128: Shogun vs Jones

Rich Cranium
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
This fight is coming up on March 19 and features Shogun Mauricio Rua vs Jon Jones. I think Jones may dissapoint Rua and take home the gold! I also look forward to the Cro Cop vs Brendan Schuab fight. What fight(s) are you looking forward to and what would be your prediction?

Here is the card:

Main card
Light Heavyweight Championship bout: MaurÃ*cio Rua vs. Jon Jones
Bantamweight bout: Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus
Middleweight bout: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Nate Marquardt
Heavyweight bout: Mirko Filipović vs. Brendan Schaub

Preliminary card (Spike TV)
Light Heavyweight bout: Luiz Cane vs. Eliot Marshall
Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani

Preliminary card
Welterweight bout: Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle
Lightweight bout: Kurt Pellegrino vs. Gleison Tibau

Preliminary card
Bantamweight bout: Joseph Benavidez vs. Ian Loveland
Middleweight bout: Dan Miller vs. Nick Catone

thedominator92
03-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Jones has never faced a striker like shogun. if he comes with that spinning elbows and whatnot he is going to be put to sleep

Kashdinero
03-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I want Jones to win. That is all.

Rich Cranium
03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Do you think Cro Cop can handle Schaub?

Kashdinero
03-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I think he could have a chance, But to tell the truth Cro Cop needs to call it a day now. To see him fight these days is sad as he's, quite literally, half the man he used to be!

thedominator92
03-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Cro Cop is one of my favorites but he won't be able to handle the power of Schaub.Win or Lose, I just hope Crop cop calls it quits after this fight.

thejman93
03-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Great card top to bottom; I might actually sty up, use a stream, and be in chat with y'all.

Robstar
03-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Very tough call, the main event, I can't pick it. Truthfully, I can't really pick MMA matches very well! There's just too many x factors - say a guy gets bad news on the day of a fight, gets psyched out at the weigh in, goes in with an injury or simply gets rocked by a 'lucky' i.e. good shot - you just don't know :D

thedominator92
03-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I think faber vs. wineland is going to be fight of the night

Kashdinero
03-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Very tough call, the main event, I can't pick it. Truthfully, I can't really pick MMA matches very well! There's just too many x factors - say a guy gets bad news on the day of a fight, gets psyched out at the weigh in, goes in with an injury or simply gets rocked by a 'lucky' i.e. good shot - you just don't know :D

I tend to go with my heart, even when betting with real cash, and have never picked the whole card.... Never.

I never bet more than a score, so it still remains fun win lose or (the increasingly popular) draw, rather than a disappointment when my pick gets his face ripped apart after "slipping on a banana peel".

The UFC.... Where anything can happen!

Rich Cranium
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
The UFC.... Where anything can happen!

And that is a great part of it's appeal!

Kashdinero
03-11-2011, 05:19 PM
And that is a great part of it's appeal!

Yeah... Must be a nightmare for Dana though.

thedominator92
03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah... Must be a nightmare for Dana though.

espescially is jake shields humps gsp. he has millions on the superfight with silva

Robstar
03-16-2011, 05:51 PM
In light of the tragedy in Japan, Akiyama has pulled out of the Marquardt fight and been replaced by Dan Miller. Miller's original opponent, to his credit, has accepted a Catchweight fight on the same card.

thedominator92
03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
In light of the tragedy in Japan, Akiyama has pulled out of the Marquardt fight and been replaced by Dan Miller. Miller's original opponent, to his credit, has accepted a Catchweight fight on the same card.

Strikeforce has a better mw divison than the ufc right now and i think they should merge the two. Tim Kennedy vs Marquart would be sick

Rich Cranium
03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Strikeforce has a better mw divison than the ufc right now and i think they should merge the two. Tim Kennedy vs Marquart would be sick

True and I know people in the past have always wanted to see Fedor fight some of the UFC mainstays but after his last fight, I would rather him retire!

Rich Cranium
03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
This Saturday is the fight!

Robstar
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
No way should they merge. I think they need to keep Strikeforce seperate, elevate the elite when they become UFC ready - which some obviously already are

thedominator92
03-18-2011, 07:53 PM
There is no way Jones deserve to be a 2-1 Favorite. Odd makers are over hyping him imo

Rich Cranium
03-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Jones is good but so is Shogun!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-18-2011, 11:28 PM
I've been getting my hopes up for UFC PPV's and lately its been a huge let down. I want Shogun to win but it's anyone's fight. You never know in MMA.

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
I've been getting my hopes up for UFC PPV's and lately its been a huge let down. I want Shogun to win but it's anyone's fight. You never know in MMA.
I've learned this over the past year or so: If the card looks good, the PPV is probably going to end up sucking; if the card doesn't look like much of anything, you're probably in for a treat.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I've learned this over the past year or so: If the card looks good, the PPV is probably going to end up sucking; if the card doesn't look like much of anything, you're probably in for a treat.

I agree complety. I'm going to the bar to watch this one. As the saying goes

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR60wCiAA4i69UUFFVQ7jjp7Kh_9tZjb EmBhlyfmOoRTj8n7XqLFg

One thing is for sure

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUa6US3cdHiC84x0mRMJ5z5F106qrz0 hLwF-BUIM47MywZ_RoQ0w

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I, too, will be tying one on tonight. When my boy Bones inevitably takes that title tonight, I'll be sure to raise my Stella Artois and salute you. ;)

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I, too, will be tying one on tonight. When my boy Bones inevitably takes that title tonight, I'll be sure to raise my Stella Artois and salute you. ;)

A few http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_oXT3BTf2WDDliNV-V3r0eqMIZmYyhcUxO03tNdxMgmn8zTcIrg sound really good. I have a taste for some
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSl0TGcRkjEFADh0kvOpzgqydkd1HQ8Q oCNE-jTJniQVLSax8BLPg

and if I feel really frisky I might just make it

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlceknWjKJGUWgwo29WfoDJObFuQmJm X_fH3XL_g3XS1GTtqEB

the combination is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Ooh, I do love me some Blue Moon. I could actually go for a Harvest Moon right about now.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Ooh, I do love me some Blue Moon. I could actually go for a Harvest Moon right about now.

They are wonderful. Try a shot of rumplemintz also, that is if you like the flavor of
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLl6obpmnl52QNKiQZZVgZOn1CjxA4Z wfVScx_nAoUSFaHu-2SGA

Rich Cranium
03-19-2011, 03:38 PM
While you guys are enjoying your foreign beer, I'll be keeping it simple and sticking to:

http://archerpelican.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bud_light_ad.jpg

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 03:56 PM
I have a couple of these
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Images/ExternalImages/ProductsDetailed/20/170220.jpg?ts=634179444729

And I shall be toasting Mr Ape when our boy (you cant have him all to yourself!) Jones breaks some bones out there!

Anyone else having a little wager in this, or am I the only one willing to put money on his prediction!

For the record: Fuck Rashad!

Rich Cranium
03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
I have a couple of these
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Images/ExternalImages/ProductsDetailed/20/170220.jpg?ts=634179444729

And I shall be toasting Mr Ape when our boy (you cant have him all to yourself!) Jones breaks some bones out there!

Anyone else having a little wager in this, or am I the only one willing to put money on his prediction!

For the record: Fuck Rashad!

I'm going with Shogun!

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 04:53 PM
OUR BOY it is! ;)

I'm not sure if you're talking about actually betting amongst the folks here at the board, but I've already got $50 riding on it with a buddy of mine (I'm gonna put that shit towards the new Mortal Kombat).

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Holy shit. I just saw this over on TMZ:

Jon "Bones" Jones -- who has a huge UFC fight tonight in New Jersey with Shogun Rua -- just subdued a robber with an awesome fighting move -- TMZ has learned.

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/03/19/0319-jon-bones-jones-ex-credit.jpg
Jones was doing what has become his ritual before a fight ... he was meditating at a park in Patterson, NJ when he heard a woman scream, "I've been robbed!"

Jones began chasing the man for a good distance. When the fighter caught up with the alleged robber, he knocked the guy's legs out from under him, then placed him in a figure-four leg lock until Paterson cops arrived.

Jones' fight tonight -- UFC 128 -- is in Newark.

Jones tells TMZ, "It was a great pre-fight warm-up for me!"

Robstar
03-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Geez guys, maybe you should get a room to watch the fight together ;). Haha, don't worry about me I'm probably just jealous as I am going alcohol free for this one. I almost didn't even order it. I hope we get a 4 or 5 rounder in the main, but just as likely to end in the first (minute!)

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I don't see the main event lasting very long, but I think it's going to be a damn exciting fight regardless.

And yes, we should probably ease back on the "our boy" stuff. Not only does it not sound very hetero (Not that there's anything wrong with that!), but it's almost never a good idea to joke about the ownership of people who aren't white. ;)

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 05:42 PM

HaHa! A figure four leg lock!!! Don't think Shogun will be having any of that!!!

As for the betting thing, I meant with a bookies, or a friend, I've put a score (£20) on Faber, Miller, Nate (he's due a nice win), Ricardo and Mirko. Odds are about 15-1. It's wishful thinking, but I like to make sure it's worth it!

Remember, go hard or go home!!!

TheMadThinker
03-19-2011, 05:47 PM

How surreal is this?

Robstar
03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Not sure I like Marquardt. Don't know why, I'm still not convinced he wasn't greased that last fight maybe but I get that 'Bisping' vibe from him, like he'd be a great Strikeforce champion. :D

Lol, Ape once many years ago when Mohammed Ali was out here for an awards ceremony, a famous tv presenter (here) said "I like the BOY". Ali, who still very much had his wits about him then, very nearly decked the guy!

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Not sure I like Marquardt. Don't know why, I'm still not convinced he wasn't greased that last fight maybe but I get that 'Bisping' vibe from him, like he'd be a great Strikeforce champion. :D
Spot on, man. Spot on.

Lol, Ape once many years ago when Mohammed Ali was out here for an awards ceremony, a famous tv presenter (here) said "I like the BOY". Ali, who still very much had his wits about him then, very nearly decked the guy!
Haha That's hilarious.

Rich Cranium
03-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Moral of the story, never go meditating in Patterson, NJ!

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Moral of the story, never go meditating in Patterson, NJ!
I think the guy doing the robbing ended up worse for the wear than the guy doing the meditating.

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Nate is faaaaar from great Rob, but I'm going with him tonight, hey, it won't be the first time I've lost money on this sport!

@Ape: Sorry but our boy it remains! Nothing wrong with a bit of metrosexuality to stand out from the pack, and I'm like Kenny Powers, or Steve as it were, I transcend race man! ;)

Iron Ape
03-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Kash, I'm all for some metrosexuality, but I already cook, clean, and take pride in my fashion choices. I'm afraid that this "OUR BOY" business just might put me over the top into penis enthusiasm and I can't be having that.

SilverGhost
03-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Yes! Fights! Can't wait for the beat downs!

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Kash, I'm all for some metrosexuality, but I already cook, clean, and take pride in my fashion choices. I'm afraid that this "OUR BOY" business just might put me over the top into penis enthusiasm and I can't be having that.

HaHaHa. I think you may have a point there! I concede!

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I have to post this. After I had placed my bets, my wife began questioning me on how betting works. After explaining it, she then, in a serious tone, said, "so, do they decide who's gonna win after all the bets are placed".... Bless her, she may have had a point!

SilverGhost
03-19-2011, 08:45 PM
I have to post this. After I had placed my bets, my wife began questioning me on how betting works. After explaining it, she then, in a serious tone, said, "so, do they decide who's gonna win after all the bets are placed".... Bless her, she may have had a point!

You put some money in? lol xD

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
You put some money in? lol xD

It was wasted before the prelims began. Fuck Pyle. Shame on me for betting against him!

Rich Cranium
03-19-2011, 11:47 PM
Congrats to Jones! I wouldn't want to face that guy! Rashad is next!

Robstar
03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Wow. Jones was impressive, but I've never seen such a stony faced winner! Maybe he was pissed about Rashad being there but he's going to have to learn that promos are part of the business. Don't know what was going on with Rua although it's been almost a year since he fought. Jones could have put him away in round 1 but showed great patience.

Faber looked good. Poor Mirko. It's either retirement now - or Strikeforce ;)

Kashdinero
03-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Youngest champ ever!

Note to Mirko: Please can you retire.

Moe21
03-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Great fight!!! I like both Bones Jones and Rua but Im kinda glad Jones won! I cant wait to see Evans and Jones fight. Should be a damn good fight. Also not a fan of Faber but he is a hell of a fighter.

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 12:15 AM
Bones is a beast, and I've got my copy of Mortal Kombat paid for. Much success.

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Great fight!!! I like both Bones Jones and Rua but Im kinda glad Jones won! I cant wait to see Evans and Jones fight. Should be a damn good fight. Also not a fan of Faber but he is a hell of a fighter.
Bones is going to snort Sugar like a Pixy Stik. Rashad stands no chance.

Robstar
03-20-2011, 12:20 AM
He still needs to fix his attitude. I'd like to see him up against an on form Rampage

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Are Rampage and Machida rematching or what?

Moe21
03-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Evans is a good wrestler and if Jones takes him to the ground I dont think Jones has a chance. Now if he stand with him yea he will knock Evans ass out. But Evans will try like hell to take it to the ground. Rampage would kill Jones standing up. If Rampage worked on his ground game a little more then Rampage might have a shot there to but right now If Jones and Rampage was fighting and it went to the ground, Jones would probably win.

Moe21
03-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Are Rampage and Machida rematching or what?

I hope so! That would be awesome.

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Hasn't it been over 2 and a half - 3 years since Rampy's murdered anyone on their feet?

Robstar
03-20-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah, he may have passed it. Machida is set to fight Couture at UFC 129

SilverGhost
03-20-2011, 12:38 AM

I am looking forward to this and GSP/Shields

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 12:39 AM
Seriously? What an...odd...unusual fight. I mean, it's not that strange, but I sort of thought Randy was relegated to, like, special attraction fights now. Machida is still kind of relevant to his division, whereas Randy hasn't really fought to build towards a title in forever.

Robstar
03-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Agreed, Randy doesn't seem like contender really does he? Too may others at the top of the heap. That's why I started that Couture/Fedor thread

thedominator92
03-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Agreed, Randy doesn't seem like contender really does he? Too may others at the top of the heap. That's why I started that Couture/Fedor thread

Never underestimate Randy Couture..

Rich Cranium
03-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Randy and Mirko both should do a Lidell and retire from fighting.

Automatic
03-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Cool he did a figure 4 leglock.

Rich Cranium
03-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Cool he did a figure 4 leglock.

We only know it was a 'supposed' figure four! There are a ton of leg locks available and if the person reporting the figure 4 were not a follower of MMA, they could have reported the lock incorrectly. Jon should have went, Wooooooooooo! after he released the hold! ;)

Automatic
03-20-2011, 12:13 PM
We only know it was a 'supposed' figure four! There are a ton of leg locks available and if the person reporting the figure 4 were not a follower of MMA, they could have reported the lock incorrectly. Jon should have went, Wooooooooooo! after be released the hold! ;)

He certainly should have done that:p.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
03-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Jones is a beast!!!

IPEEINTHESHOWER will always be a Mirko fan, keep your chin up champ!!!

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Randy and Mirko both should do a Lidell and retire from fighting.
Randy isn't getting brutally knocked out every time he steps into the ring or exposed as a spent fighter, so I can't really get onboard with this at all. Is Randy ever going to get another run at a title? Nah. But as long as he can still mix it up with competent talent and deliver exciting fights, I see absolutely no reason to deprive the fans of one of their favorites.

The situation with Mirko last night leaves me conflicted: On one hand, the guy has basically been getting rag-dolled for the majority of his UFC run; on the other, the first 2/3rds of last night's fight was the best he's looked in years. Do I think it's time for him to walk away from UFC? You betcha. Doesn't mean that I don't think he can't slide into Strikeforce and have a few worthwhile fights there. Besides, I'm sure Arlovski would be willing to have his head kicked off for a couple thousand bucks, and I know the fans there would love to see it.

Rich Cranium
03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Randy isn't getting brutally knocked out every time he steps into the ring or exposed as a spent fighter, so I can't really get onboard with this at all. Is Randy ever going to get another run at a title? Nah. But as long as he can still mix it up with competent talent and deliver exciting fights, I see absolutely no reason to deprive the fans of one of their favorites.

True and I don't know the significance of this next statement but anyway, Muhammad Ali was still a good fighter throughout the 70's and the fans ate it up but look at his condition now.

Iron Ape
03-20-2011, 03:21 PM
True and I don't know the significance of this next statement but anyway, Muhammad Ali was still a good fighter throughout the 70's and the fans ate it up but look at his condition now.
Randy hasn't taken anywhere near as many blows to the head as Ali, like, it's, sooooooo neat even close. I'd venture to say that most pro-wrestlers run a greater risk of getting Muhammad Ali'd than Couture does.

Dana White basically forced Chuck Liddell to walk away from the sport because of such concerns. If Randy were in any sort of danger, I assure you that it would of come up by now.

Automatic
03-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Jones was good man, he dominated.

cy1911
03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
you know rampage was a wrestler and use to slam all the time (famous pride ko) but he decided to keep it standing after knocking out chuck

BoycottTNA
03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
They need to get Jones down to FCW to work on his mic skills. He was simply amazing in that fight, it was quite literally a WOW factor in some places. You just have to wonder where this leaves shogun in the division, he got destroyed and there are alot of guys on the way up.