PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Champions League, and Europa League.

Androo
03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Some people here must watch, or if not, still come and get involved, ask, discuss etc. So discussion of anything on Champions League and Europa League. Heres the current Champions League Last 16 fixtures and standings (Bristish teams bolded):

Tuesday, 8 March 2011
Barcelona v Arsenal, (agg 1-2), 19:45
Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma, (agg 3-2), 19:45

Wednesday, 9 March 2011
Schalke 04 v Valencia, (agg 1-1), 19:45
Tottenham v AC Milan, (agg 1-0), 19:45

Tuesday, 15 March 2011
Bayern Munich v Inter Milan, (agg 1-0), 19:45
Man Utd v Marseille, (agg 0-0), 19:45

Wednesday, 16 March 2011
Chelsea v FC Copenhagen, (agg 2-0), 19:45
Real Madrid v Lyon, 19:45

The big Barca v Arsenal return leg tonight! Whos watching? Predictions etc?

Who are your teams? Who do you fancy? Who do you see progressing to the Last 8 and further? Finalists? Winner? I guess its kinda hard as the draw isnt set out but still.

Heres the Last 16 first leg fixtures for the Europa League (Bristish teams bolded):

Thursday, 10 March 2011
Bayer Leverkusen v Villarreal, 18:00
Braga v Liverpool, 18:00
CSKA Moscow v FC Porto, 18:00
PSV Eindhoven v Rangers, 18:00
Ajax v Spartak Moscow, 20:05
Benfica v Paris SG, 20:05
Dynamo Kiev v Man City, 20:05
FC Twente v Zenit St Petersburg, 20:05

So same again. Who are your teams? Who do you fancy? Who do you see progressing to the Last 8 and further? FInalists? Winner? Still kinda hard at this stage but...

Anything else you want to discuss about this......?

Regal>Cena
03-08-2011, 10:39 AM
It's all about the Europa League these days, with the mighty Reds to win it in Dublin.

The Barca v Arsenal Champions League tie looks nicely set up, and the first leg was awesome to watch as a neutral. Barca will probably turn over the gooners and go on to win the whole thing imo

Androo
03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Well Barca were just relentless tonight! Could have been 7 nil! Arsenal had 0 attempts on goal the whole game! That just shows how good they were! Plus Barca had something over 700 passes, Arsenal had over 100! That also just shows you, considerin this is what Arsenal do in the PL! Well i wanted Arsenal to go through and win the whole thing, theyre my English team, always supported them, but Barca looked pretty unstoppable in that game! although the Van Persie sendin off was ludicrous IMO.

Hope Tottenham get through tomorrow. Then Man U. Dont really care for Chelsea at all, infact i quite dislike them, except from Drogba, so not bothered if they go out or not.

As for Europa, yeh Liverpool could maybe get there, i hope so anyway. Man City aswell have the talent so they could do well. Rangers will struggle, but hey they made the final in 2008 when it seemed highly unlikely. I think Ajax might do well, but its too hard to predict, English teams are the best bet for me just now.

CGBigMan
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey the mighty gers beat them last time on our road to the final

Lowki
03-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Europa league lol...

CL has some dark horses to reach the semis - Shakhtar and Spurs could make it depending on their draws.

Barcelona, Inter/Bayern, Madrid/Lyon will most likely reach the semis with United and Chelsea in there somewhere but it is all depending on the draw; Could have the favorites all playing each other.

Barcelona 5/4

Real Madrid 4/1

Chelsea 5/1

Man Utd 7/1

Bayern Munich 11/1

Tottenham 12/1

Shakhtar Donetsk 20/1

Inter Milan 25/1

Schalke 04 33/1

Marseille 125/1

Lyon 125/1

FC Copenhagen 750/1

Wouldn't mind if the four favorites all drew each other; would add some excitement to the Quarters and could give us an interesting final.

Last 8 will be;
Barca
Shakhtar
shalke
Spurs
Bayern
United
Chelsea
Madrid

I think there'll be an all british tie in the next round and chelsea will get handed one of the "easier" teams like shakhtar or shalke.

Europa;
Last 8:
Benfica
Man city (3 at home isn't too far-fetched)
Twente (3-0 up)
Porto (away goal 1-0)
Rangers (at home next leg)
Villareal (3 away goals; Leverkusen need to either win by 2 or more to go through. 1-0, 2-1 would send them out as would a loss; 3-2 for Bayer to get Extra time)
Liverpool (1-0 down but i can't see them losing or drawing at home)
Spartak

Androo
03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Your right Lowki, some wildcards, its jsut too hard to predict. Yet i am about to engage in it lol. Gotta say well done to spurs. I like their team, would love to see them go far, i think they might get an "easier" team next round. Idunno about Chelsea, they got Copenhagen last 16, surely not another "easy" team? I would agree with your teams to make the semis, seems logical, just depends on the draw again. Its out of these for the final for me: Barca, Real, Inter/Bayern, United. I think its between them. Id go for Real Madrid to win the whole thing, Mourinho to become first manager to win back to back CL with 2 different teams (I think?)? Hes just a good manager. Then he'll come back to England, probably Chelsea.

Your last 8 i agree with, except the Bayern/Inter, its tight, and i know Inter are nothing like they were last season but 2 goals is do-able.

Europa.
Hey well done to the Teddy Bears (Im not a Rangers fan, but its a Scottish team in Europe!!). 0-0 draw away to PSV was a very good result for them. I thought theyd get beat by a few goals, maybe they can make the next round! Liverpool and Man City surprised me a bit! Didnt think theyd lose. I still think Liverpool can win the tie though, Man City? Well i dunno its a big ask!

Heres the next set of fixtures:
Thursday, 17 March 2011
Man City v Dynamo Kiev, (agg 0-2), 18:00
Paris SG v Benfica, (agg 1-2), 18:00
Spartak Moscow v Ajax, (agg 1-0), 18:00
Zenit St Petersburg v FC Twente, (agg 0-3), 18:00
FC Porto v CSKA Moscow, (agg 1-0), 20:05
Liverpool v Braga, (agg 0-1), 20:05
Rangers v PSV Eindhoven, (agg 0-0), 20:05
Villarreal v Bayer Leverkusen, (agg 3-2), 20:05

Ill go with:
Man City then, just for bants.
Benfica, although PSG just need to score to take them through.
Ajax, think theyll score a goal anyway then get through.
Twente, theyve got a good lead.
Porto, good side, goal up.
Liverpool, to keep a clean sheet though.
Rangers then, cant concede, defend defend defend sneak a goal.
Villareal, because i think they'll score then itl be too much for Bayer.

Tommy Thunder
03-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm a United fan, so I'll naturally back them all the way. I also have a soft spot for Barcelona. I've been there a few times, and to the Nou Camp, and I fell in love with the place. It's hard to see anyone beating them to be honest, but I know that if anyone can, its United!!

Tommy Thunder
03-11-2011, 07:57 PM
As for the Europa League (aka channel 5 cup lol), I don't care who wins, I just can't wait to see Man City and Liverpool knocked out!!

Lowki
03-12-2011, 08:15 AM
If united sit back and 4 5 1 barcelona we could do it. When we last played them in the final we tried to attack them and it just failed. I love barcelona though, i was there when they signed ronaldinho and visited the youth acadamy across the road. Plus, if anyone knows history they were the people's club back in the civil war (Real was the royal family's club) which is why it's such a fierce rivalry.
I don't think barca can be stopped, if anyone could do it though it would have to be chelsea. If they hit form they could easily soak barca pressure for 90mins with Drogba up top. As much as i hate chelsea, they are normally defensively sound.

Automatic
03-16-2011, 03:11 PM
CL I don't care, I actually only care about the Dutch teames, we need the points! I think Twente will make it, they've got a 3-0 lead but they weren't better than Zenit, but a huge suprise nonetheless. PSV has to win, they pretty much dominated Rangers, but they couldn't score, which was btw the fault of 1 man, cause he should've scored a few times. Rangers isn't what is was anymore, the Celtic vs Utrecht showed it. And for Ajax it's going to be hard, even though they were better, a 1-0 loss is hard, but if they start their match in Moscow, like they did in Amsterdam, I have no worries.

Androo
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Its out of these for the final for me: Barca, Real, Inter/Bayern, United. I think its between them. Id go for Real Madrid to win the whole thing, Mourinho to become first manager to win back to back CL with 2 different teams (I think?)? Hes just a good manager. Then he'll come back to England, probably Chelsea.
Europa.
Liverpool and Man City surprised me a bit! Didnt think theyd lose. I still think Liverpool can win the tie though, Man City? Well i dunno its a big ask!

Ill go with:
Man City then, just for bants.
Benfica, although PSG just need to score to take them through.
Ajax, think theyll score a goal anyway then get through.
Twente, theyve got a good lead.
Porto, good side, goal up.
Liverpool, to keep a clean sheet though.
Rangers then, cant concede, defend defend defend sneak a goal.
Villareal, because i think they'll score then itl be too much for Bayer.

Well heres the draw for the Champions League Qtrs and Semis:

Tuesday, 26 April 2011
Inter Milan/Shalke v Chelsea/Man Utd, 19:45
Wednesday, 27 April 2011
Real Madrid/Tottenham v Barcelona/Shahkhtar Donetsk, 19:45

The four teams i picked that it would be between for the final are still in it and could each make the semis. And i still think thats what the semis will be Inter v United; Madrid v Barca. Then i dont kno. Id like to see Tottenham do well again though, i hope they get through, imagine facing Inter in the groups (beat them), AC in the last 16 (beat them), Madrid, Barca, and then Inter/United in the final!! The best teams in the world, the biggest anyway, in their first Champs League run to the final?!?! It would be quite something! But alas, i think Real will be too strong.

The Europa? Qtrs n Semis:

FC Porto/Spartak Moscow v Villarreal/FC Twente, SF, L1, 18:00
SC Braga/Dynamo Kiev v Benfica/PSV, SF, L1, 18:00

Well... all the British teams are out!! I couldnt believe it! I got 50% of the teams to go through, gutting. To be honest i didnt have too much faith in Rangers and slightly Man City Kiev score. Rangers were quite poor, although unlucky with handball in PSVs box which should have been given, just didnt show very much at all. Man City had the talent, actually they only needed 2 goals to tie it, they got 1, kinda disappointing they couldnt get another. Maybe the Balotelli sending off affected them. Liverpool just surprised me. Disappointing. How cant they just win one game convincingly in the Europa LEague man!?

Il go with Porto v Villareal; Kiev v Benfica, in the semis. Then Porto v Benfica. Porto to win it.

Leggo
03-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I can't see us (united) getting past chelsea, as they have a score to settle.

I fancy spurs to beat r Madrid though.

eboy
03-18-2011, 07:14 PM

united will get past chelsea the treble is on and looking possible you need to get some belief in you

c'mon you red devils

Pumpkinhead
03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Man Utd all the way!!!!! , i see barca-man utd in the final at wembley

Leggo
03-18-2011, 11:09 PM
united will get past chelsea the treble is on and looking possible you need to get some belief in you

c'mon you red devils

its not that I dont have any belief, but the players are dropping like flies. We're getting a lot of injuries at the minute. Sure, we have a good squad. But I think that we might not have enough to go all the way. Come on Chico!!

el gabo
03-19-2011, 08:25 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HTKueSbixNI/TNnm4WLOQiI/AAAAAAAAGNk/wEs4DNnuLgQ/s1600/Drogba.jpg

blackout version 1
03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Man Utd vs Chelsea will be a dull affair in the first leg i think hope utd get through but i think chelsea have more quality . So my dreams semi finals would be utd vesus inter milan and spurs versus barca which i believe would be an unbelieveable match .

BoycottTNA
03-20-2011, 09:46 PM
its not that I dont have any belief, but the players are dropping like flies. We're getting a lot of injuries at the minute. Sure, we have a good squad. But I think that we might not have enough to go all the way. Come on Chico!!

This.

As long as we beat Chelski in the league i'll be happy.

Priority 1) League - Arsenal 6 years no Trophy and knock Liverpool off their perch
Priority 2) FA Cup - Beat City
Priority 3) Champs League

Steve Austin
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I hope Madrid beat the overratedness out of Spurs.

Tommy Thunder
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Spurs off to a great start I see :p

Leggo
04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Spurs off to a great start I see :p

Adebayor as well... Gutted

Crouch S/O too

Pumpkinhead
04-05-2011, 06:02 PM
woooow poor Inter!!!

eboy
04-08-2011, 02:01 PM

chico?
chicarito?

Automatic
04-08-2011, 02:10 PM
We got butchered yesterday...

Leggo
04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
chico?
chicarito?

Yeah, chicarito... Chico for short

Leggo
04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
We got butchered yesterday...

Who is WE mate?

eboy
04-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Who is WE mate?

Got to be either Spurs or Inter

Automatic
04-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Who is WE mate?

Twente and PSV...

eboy
04-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Twente and PSV...

Got to be either Spurs or Inter

I Stand Corrected

Leggo
04-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I thought united were gonna draw on Wednesday. It was a close penalty call on the first one, but a brilliant spot by the ref for the Torres dive.

eboy
04-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I thought united were gonna draw on Wednesday. It was a close penalty call on the first one, but a brilliant spot by the ref for the Torres dive.

agree'd it was a penalty for evra's challenge but the ref had seen so much diving from chelshea you can forgive him
i thought we'd played the best we have europe for some time we are usually very cagey and un easy to watch

Leggo
04-09-2011, 03:13 PM
agree'd it was a penalty for evra's challenge but the ref had seen so much diving from chelshea you can forgive him
i thought we'd played the best we have europe for some time we are usually very cagey and un easy to watch

Agreed my friend, agreed. We looked good, we had a good pace about our play and looked good going forward. How much of a legend is giggs? What a player?!!!

Pumpkinhead
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM
Great win for United!!, Schalke is next!!

TheBeardOfZeus
04-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Loved every minute of tonight's game.

Bring on City, we will steamroll straight through them, this is our year.

Rich Cranium
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Tampa Bay Rowdies, their a kick in the grass! Sorry, used to go see them as a kid. Great soccer team! You guys hate the term soccer right? Why? We have to say it since obviously talking football here is something entirely different.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Tampa_bay_rowdies_nasl.png

MattElder
04-13-2011, 03:37 AM
It was nearly 15months to the day that this Manchester United were knocked out out of the FA cup but the only team that matters! Thats right guys im talking about Super Leeds UNited!!!!

eboy
04-13-2011, 03:53 AM
Great win for united double is inevitable
and IMO treble is possible

Rich Cranium
04-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Please take David Beckham back! Oh, you can leave Posh Spice though! ;)

thejman93
04-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm a http://www.soccerbyives.net/.a/6a00e54ef2975b88330133f25a7cb2970b-500wi fan...

rko619
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
U n i t e d

Leggo
04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Great win for united double is inevitable
and IMO treble is possible

It's an important weekend my friend. If we beat city in the semi, and Liverpool can beat arsenal it's definitely game on.

TheBeardOfZeus
04-13-2011, 02:50 PM
It's an important weekend my friend. If we beat city in the semi, and Liverpool can beat arsenal it's definitely game on.

It'll be more than game on, we beat City, Liverpool beat Arsenal, then we have a big game against Newcastle midweek, beat them, and then Arsenal have to go away to Bolton, which they hate to do, especially if they just lost to Liverpool, and we can have the title by the time we head to the Emirates

Leggo
04-13-2011, 02:59 PM
It'll be more than game on, we beat City, Liverpool beat Arsenal, then we have a big game against Newcastle midweek, beat them, and then Arsenal have to go away to Bolton, which they hate to do, especially if they just lost to Liverpool, and we can have the title by the time we head to the Emirates

Agreed mate, I really hope we beat city... I hate losing to them.

TheBeardOfZeus
04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Agreed mate, I really hope we beat city... I hate losing to them.

They have no Tevez, so the only two dangerous players they have left are Silva and Johnson, and we can shut them down.

What about the Champions League games tonight? It's going to be Schalke like everyone suspected, not an easy team by any means.

Leggo
04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
They have no Tevez, so the only two dangerous players they have left are Silva and Johnson, and we can shut them down.

What about the Champions League games tonight? It's going to be Schalke like everyone suspected, not an easy team by any means.

Yeah, it's just finished so schalke it is

Rich Cranium
04-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Tampa Bay Rowdies, their a kick in the grass! Sorry, used to go see them as a kid. Great soccer team! You guys hate the term soccer right? Why? We have to say it since obviously talking football here is something entirely different.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/83/Tampa_bay_rowdies_nasl.png

Update:

The Rowdies have reformed as of 2010!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Rowdies_(1975%E2%80%931993)#New_Rowdies_ 2010-present

Pumpkinhead
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
United have very good chances to win the treble, the league is almost ours , if we beat city we won't have any problems at the FA cup, Champions gonna be tough Schalke its a great side but can be beaten, probably Barca knock out Real and they don't play well at England

eboy
04-14-2011, 04:42 AM
yea am very much looking forward to semi finals both games should be exellent and as i dont have sky am looking forward to seeing half of el classico on ITV

maar13
04-21-2011, 03:05 AM
The Spanish Semifinal is going to be very interesting, damn well could lead tot he champion rigth there, and now more so that Real Madrid has finally cracked the code to damage Barcelona. It does not mean they wil defeat them everytime but it shows that Barcelona can be stopped and Mourinho apparently knows how to do it.

In the othe Semifinal Manchester looks strong but never letf Shalke out, he could easily become the underdog of the whole thing.

Leggo
04-21-2011, 02:22 PM
This is not about the champs league, but after Real Madrid beat Barcelona in the spanish cup yesterday they went on parade. Anybody else see Sergio Ramos drop the cup and the bus drive over it?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNyc_myTz0

Ooooopps!!!

eboy
04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
This is not about the champs league, but after Real Madrid beat Barcelona in the spanish cup yesterday they went on parade. Anybody else see Sergio Ramos drop the cup and the bus drive over it?!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNyc_myTz0

Ooooopps!!!

epic fail :)

Automatic
04-21-2011, 04:13 PM
All the barca fans are laughing their ass of right now...

Pumpkinhead
04-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Barca vs Real 3 tomorrow who will win?

Leggo
04-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Well, another convincing display by the red devils last night!

How good are Hernandez & Rooney playing together!
Sign Giggsy up for another two years!... And yes, he played centre mid and ran the show!
Time for people to get off carricks back now, he's putting in a few good performances!
Fergie, work your magic and sign Nuer... We need him nextvseason!
Half way there now... Would love Madrid in the final!

Come on you red devils!!!!

Rant over!

Leggo
04-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Dumbass! Not even close... I'll get my coat

TheBeardOfZeus
04-27-2011, 05:16 AM
Well, another convincing display by the red devils last night!

How good are Hernandez & Rooney playing together!
Sign Giggsy up for another two years!... And yes, he played centre mid and ran the show!
Time for people to get off carricks back now, he's putting in a few good performances!
Fergie, work your magic and sign Nuer... We need him nextvseason!
Half way there now... Would love Madrid in the final!

Come on you red devils!!!!

Rant over!

Well said man, and Carrick played very well last night, but he was given the opportunity to.

All I hope for him is this gives back his confidence. He has had very poor displays by his standards this season, and as long as he continues on this vein of form till the end of the season, then I'll be a Carrick fan again.

eboy
04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
well said man, and carrick played very well last night, but he was given the opportunity to.

All i hope for him is this gives back his confidence. He has had very poor displays by his standards this season, and as long as he continues on this vein of form till the end of the season, then i'll be a carrick fan again.

all my freinds say united have a week midfield

i've always argued the quality in the mids

carrick has his days like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

fletcher is a man u grown talent that has crown to the starting 11 and scotland captincy

anderson is very underwelming

gibson has endless potential

scholes = legend enough said

its not a bad mid couple of signings there charlie adams?, tom huddlestone?

Leggo
04-27-2011, 03:10 PM
all my freinds say united have a week midfield

i've always argued the quality in the mids

carrick has his days like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

fletcher is a man u grown talent that has crown to the starting 11 and scotland captincy

anderson is very underwelming

gibson has endless potential

scholes = legend enough said

its not a bad mid couple of signings there charlie adams?, tom huddlestone?

Agreed mate, would love to see snjieder and Nuer at utd next season.

eboy
04-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Agreed mate, would love to see snjieder and Nuer at utd next season.
Apparenlty A De Gea Deal is ment to be decided and will go through in summer

Leggo
04-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Apparenlty A De Gea Deal is ment to be decided and will go through in summer

Don't really know much about him mate. Neuer looks good though, would love it if he signed for utd. Check him out mate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDgqbvDXUxk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Automatic
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Bayern Munich will be very lucky with Neuer when he plays there. They have a reliable guy for 10 years.

Pumpkinhead
04-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Bayern Munich will be very lucky with Neuer when he plays there. They have a reliable guy for 10 years.
I want him for Man Utd!!!!

Automatic
04-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I want him for Man Utd!!!!

They will probably take De Gea or Stekelenburg.

Leggo
05-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Almost there!

We need a good, injury free result tonight. Then Chelsea at the weekend.

Got a feeling draw tonight and draw against Chelsea. Would that be enough?

sincara
05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
shackle stand no chance against united tonight !!!!! :)

Tommy Thunder
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Win tonight for us, and a draw on the weekend!!

Leggo
05-04-2011, 01:11 PM
shackle stand no chance against united tonight !!!!! :)

I thought we were playing shalke? Lol!

Androo
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM

No, you were playing Schalke. Lol. United did well tonight, with a changed team. Schalke just didn't put up much of a threat. I wanted them to win when Arsenal got put out, and they were one of my picks for the final, along with Barca. So i hope they can do it. Good to see Fletchy back in a game aswell. With Sir Fergie you's can do it.

P.S. There's not an SPL thread, and i don't see the point in creating one as it wouldn't garner much interest, but absolutely gutting that Celtic got beat by Inverness last night! It completely dents our title hopes, as Rangers are a point ahead, on the same amount of games so we need Rangers to drop points! Its shite! We were in the driving seat! I think Rangers may drop points though. Heres hoping! lol.

Tommy Thunder
05-04-2011, 07:45 PM
COME ON UNITED!! We can win this!! I believe that Barca are the best team in the world, but if there is a team that can beat them, it's United!! Although, I won't mind if we lose to them in the final, as they are the best in the world at what they do ;)

blackout version 1
05-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Man Utd versus Barcelona at Wembley :D glory glory glory man utd :P

sincara
05-05-2011, 01:29 AM

sorry they are all so similar and spelt the same and have similar sounding names so i get mixed up between the 2 :p

sincara
05-05-2011, 01:32 AM
my united team to play barca
vandersar
rafeal/fabio
vidic
ferdinand
evra
valencia
anderson
carrick
park
rooney
berbatov

:)

Leggo
05-05-2011, 02:30 AM
vandersar
rafeal/fabio
vidic
ferdinand
evra
valencia
anderson
carrick
park
rooney
berbatov

It will be van der sar's last game too!

sincara
05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
It will be van der sar's last game too!

i know :( hope he goes out on a high :)

eboy
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
COME ON UNITED!! We can win this!! I believe that Barca are the best team in the world, but if there is a team that can beat them, it's United!! Although, I won't mind if we lose to them in the final, as they are the best in the world at what they do ;)

I Agree i think we've got a better chance this time Evra will have to have the game of his life at wembly in 3 weeks so will all of the back 4 please god let Ferdinand & Vidic be fit. Fletcher back and in a champos league final after the contrevaersy two years back he could have a great game in the middle I'd like to see Scholes play alongside Fletch purely for the work rate and passion he has on the wings NanI & Giggs will bring some magic and the Rooney & Hernandez partnership will face their biggest test Van Der Sar will be a safe ,as always, pair of hands in what will sadley be his last game for united Fergie says hes learnt from two years ago and now its Uniteds chance to Prove to the world that the reds are still and will forever be the best team on this earth at football + Wembly will be a sea of red

Leggo
05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I was listening to talk sport on the radio, and everybody has pretty much written off utd's chances of winning. It's a case of Barcelona winning and by how many!

They are the best side in the world by far, IMO, but surely we should get a bit of respect! We haven't even kicked off yet and we've lost! Not happy...

sincara
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
I was listening to talk sport on the radio, and everybody has pretty much written off utd's chances of winning. It's a case of Barcelona winning and by how many!

They are the best side in the world by far, IMO, but surely we should get a bit of respect! We haven't even kicked off yet and we've lost! Not happy...

barca are mainly a 1 man team (messi )

eboy
05-05-2011, 02:40 PM
vandersar
rafeal/fabio
vidic
ferdinand
evra
valencia
anderson
carrick
park
rooney
berbatov

I'd says

CK. Edwin Van Der Sar
RB- John O'shea CB- Rio Ferdinand CB- NJimba Vidic LB- Patrice Evra

RM- Nani CM-Darren Fletcher CM- Paul Scholes LM- Ryan Giggs

ST- Wayne Rooney ST- Javier Hernandez

Bench Kucshack, Rafeal, Smalling, Carrick, Velencia, Owen, Berbetov

Leggo
05-05-2011, 02:43 PM
barca are mainly a 1 man team (messi )

Messi is a great player, and IMO, the worlds best ever player...

But Barcelona have some great individuals all over the park, and play well as a team

TheBeardOfZeus
05-05-2011, 05:29 PM
I'd says

CK. Edwin Van Der Sar

Guys, WE ARE IN THE CHAMPION'S LEAGUE FINAL!

Now, to sunday and get the Premier League title in our hands, then we can set our sights on Barca.

Eboy, I don't think that is the best plan. For me, we HAVE to play Valencia in this form, he is unstoppable, and will cause Abidal nightmares.

Against Barca, we need to press their defense into mistakes, and play high wingers because the LB/RB of Barca bomb down the wings.

My United side: GK: Van Der Sar, LB: Evra, RB: Raphael, CB: Vidic, CB: Ferdinand, LM: Nani, RM: Valencia, CM: Fletcher, CM: Giggs, ST: Rooney, ST: Hernandez

Another touch, Van Der Sar has to be 110% captain for this game.

blackout version 1
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd says

CK. Edwin Van Der Sar

That starting 11 would get run all over the stop against barca in my opinion scholesy has lost his legs :(

Id say Valencia RM not Nani and Carrick in the middle with Fletcher and giggs on the left with Rooney dropping deep.

TheBeardOfZeus
05-05-2011, 06:33 PM
That starting 11 would get run all over the stop against barca in my opinion scholesy has lost his legs :(

Id say Valencia RM not Nani and Carrick in the middle with Fletcher and giggs on the left with Rooney dropping deep.

Personally, Carrick isn't dangerous enough this season, and doesn't have the steel of Fletcher, and Giggs would work as a different dynamic in the middle, where he wont just look for a pass but run at the defenders.

And you need the Valencia/Nani partnership, as they are both quick. Nani may be key, sit him on the halfway line all game, get the ball to him on the break as he will be free of Alves and have a great chance to have a superb game.

Lowki
05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Iniesta would be laughing if he lines up against carrick.

It's going to be the usual team but i could see a typical grinding defensive formation rather than trying to play attacking football against barca;
VDS

O'Shea (Rafael if they need a bit of attacking threat)
Vidic
Ferdinand
Evra

Nani
Giggs
Fletcher
Valencia

Rooney (playing slightly deeper)
Hernandez

They have Scholes (he's TOO hot tempered to start - i'd imagine him coming on later in the game to replace giggs) and Rafael to add different dimensions to their game. It should be a lot closer now that we don't have to rely on ronaldo, who was man marked constantly in 08-09. Nani and valencia will add some pace but it will be hard for us to actually beat Barcelona outside of penalties =/

There's always faith though

Leggo
05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
I can't believe what has happened to me!!! I have this week off work, and Mrs Leggo has VERY KINDLY booked the Leggo's on a camping trip from Thursday to Sunday THIS FOOKIN WEEK!!! Now I specifically remember telling my lovely Mrs Leggo that Man Utd were playing in the biggest match in club football on Saturday 10 TIMES +. After her reveal, I told her about the game, and her reply was... "can't you tape it on sky plus"... !!!!!!!!!! WTF...

I just hope I can get to a pub nearby to watch it. Absolutely gutted!!

eboy
05-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I can't believe what has happened to me!!! I have this week off work, and Mrs Leggo has VERY KINDLY booked the Leggo's on a camping trip from Thursday to Sunday THIS FOOKIN WEEK!!! Now I specifically remember telling my lovely Mrs Leggo that Man Utd were playing in the biggest match in club football on Saturday 10 TIMES +. After her reveal, I told her about the game, and her reply was... "can't you tape it on sky plus"... !!!!!!!!!! WTF...

are that Really Sucks man

Leggo
05-28-2011, 12:56 PM

I managed to get a table in the club house to watch the game!!! Wifi too!

Come on united!!!!

MattElder
05-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Has a leeds fan through and through I wish all united fans a good night.......but in traditional Yorkshire fashion COME ON BARCA!!!

SilverGhost
05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
They are showing the game here in the US xD I haven't seen any football from Europe....:(

Leggo
05-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Has a leeds fan through and through I wish all united fans a good night.......but in traditional Yorkshire fashion COME ON BARCA!!!

Boooooo! Lol

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 01:31 PM
They are showing the game here in the US xD I haven't seen any football from Europe....:(

I'm also watching SG.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 01:33 PM
I managed to get a table in the club house to watch the game!!! Wifi too!

Come on united!!!!

Have a beer for me Leggo!!!!

http://www.mobileapples.com/Assets/Content/Wallpapers/go-manchester.jpg

FTW

SilverGhost
05-28-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm also watching SG.

I actually can't wait to watch this. This is such a sports filled Saturday. Football and UFC. I am in heaven! This drama equals American Football. Being honest.

el gabo
05-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Messi hat trick.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I actually can't wait to watch this. This is such a sports filled Saturday. Football and UFC. I am in heaven! This drama equals American Football. Being honest.

ummmmm. no but good try.:D

SilverGhost
05-28-2011, 01:43 PM
ummmmm. no but good try.:D

Not MLS IPITS. xD Fail dude fail.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Not MLS IPITS. xD Fail dude fail.

I wasnt implying MLS. Fail dude fail.

SilverGhost
05-28-2011, 01:51 PM
I wasnt implying MLS. Fail dude fail.

Thats what I WAS implying. I am respecting the wording here. xDDD

MattElder
05-28-2011, 01:52 PM

Its worth watching 2 of the biggest clubs in the world face of...with some of the talent it should be amazing but games like this are either shit or amazing....no inbetween

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Thats what I WAS implying. I am respecting the wording here. xDDD

SG, when someone say's football I think NFL. I"m F'N American I will always call it soccer.:D

SilverGhost
05-28-2011, 01:58 PM
SG, when someone say's football I think NFL. I"m F'N American I will always call it soccer.:D

This is a good Football game! Man those English players are better than Americans!

el gabo
05-28-2011, 02:07 PM
This is a good Football game! Man those English players are better than Americans!

Only spory I can remember where Americans are nowhere near a competetive league. =They suck in soccer

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5NOeoZ3xU&feature=related

el gabo
05-28-2011, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5NOeoZ3xU&feature=related

Weren't you rooting for Man U?

IPEEINTHESHOWER
05-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Weren't you rooting for Man U?

I dont really care who wins, I'm just enjoying the game.

Steve Austin
05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Come on Barca! What a great game so far, I have to admit Rooney's goal was brilliant, a hint of offiside though.

eboy
05-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Plucky effort from United but nowhere near good enough

I think the only way to beat Barcelona is for a team to go out and Play there own football and not Just set up to prevent Barca

Steve Austin
05-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Plucky effort from United but nowhere near good enough

I think the only way to beat Barcelona is for a team to go out and Play there own football and not Just set up to prevent Barca

The only way to beat Barca is to do what Inter did and shut up shop, play on the counter and hope they get lucky and that their keeper has a good game or you could choose the option of being Liverpool ;)

Automatic
05-28-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Gc7dbnlG0&feature=related

Barca won.

Pumpkinhead
05-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Congratulations to Barca they were the best team, its anyone that can stop them??, seems Man United needs some new buys

Androo
05-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I wanted United to do it! Fergie is the boy! But alas Barca were immense!! UNited started ok, Rooney goal was good, but Villa's was better! I actually felt sorry for United, there was nothing they could do! Owell there's alwayss next year! Roll on next season! Man City anyone????? No! Early prediction...Barca again lol, or UNited, and Inter with some new siginings. but c'mon the Arsenal!!!!!!!

Polly-Pablo
05-28-2011, 07:30 PM
The only way to beat Barca is to do what Inter did and shut up shop, play on the counter and hope they get lucky and that their keeper has a good game or you could choose the option of being Liverpool ;)

Quoted for awesomeness!!! Yes - then they would be able to beat them also......love it!

Steve Austin
05-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Quoted for awesomeness!!! Yes - then they would be able to beat them also......love it!

Its what us Liverpool fans do ;) Mascherano's dedication to the Liverpool fans was nice, I gained some new found respect for him.

Polly-Pablo
05-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Its what us Liverpool fans do ;) Mascherano's dedication to the Liverpool fans was nice, I gained some new found respect for him.

That dude was always awesome....you could always count on him for a fight/red or yellow card/a tantrum etc.....not the greatest player, but awesome all the same lol

el gabo
05-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Reagrdless of what team you root for, you should be greatful to see Barca play. Those guys are just from another planet. (BTW go Chelsea!!!)

Pumpkinhead
05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Reagrdless of what team you root for, you should be greatful to see Barca play. Those guys are just from another planet. (BTW go Chelsea!!!)

Totally agree, is just an extraordinary team

the-rocks-stunner
05-28-2011, 09:08 PM

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/25/128721486448950288.jpg

the-rocks-stunner
05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Only spory I can remember where Americans are nowhere near a competetive league. =They suck in soccer

MLS = http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ugly.jpg

Polly-Pablo
05-28-2011, 09:42 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/25/128721486448950288.jpg

Hmmm, why no? Do you not remember them being beaten by LFC? In the CL?

the-rocks-stunner
05-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Hmmm, why no? Do you not remember them being beaten by LFC? In the CL?

http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/member_photos/group2/subgrp53/putshitinthebin-live_294134.jpg

Polly-Pablo
05-28-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.oleole.com/media/main/images/member_photos/group2/subgrp53/putshitinthebin-live_294134.jpg

I can only imagine that means yes you did, but as a fan of another club, you are incapable of supporting an English club when they are in Europe....

It's ok - I'm supportive towards people who need help with footballing history - my dad is a manc scum fan so.....

Ah - the beautiful game

eboy
05-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Congratulations to Barca they were the best team, its anyone that can stop them??, seems Man United needs some new buys

sums it up perfectly

MattElder
05-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Barca was the better team by far!!!

United need to buy! They're only getting but in premiership with other teams struggeling!

I reckon they need that 1 buy that is going to boss in midfield, like Ineist, lampard, Gerrard............ The me they need to be Irzel from Bayern that guy is phenomanal and get can really make the differance they need! Time to face the fact that Carrick isn't the man for the job and Scholes is to old!

Good Game to watch though

Steve Austin
05-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Barca was the better team by far!!!

United need to buy! They're only getting but in premiership with other teams struggeling!

I reckon they need that 1 buy that is going to boss in midfield, like Ineist, lampard, Gerrard............ The me they need to be Irzel from Bayern that guy is phenomanal and get can really make the differance they need! Time to face the fact that Carrick isn't the man for the job and Scholes is to old!

Good Game to watch though

Do you mean Mesut Ozil? He plays for Real Madrid.

MattElder
05-29-2011, 04:52 AM
Do you mean Mesut Ozil? He plays for Real Madrid.

Ooops......embarressed moment! lol

*shys away into closet*

eboy
05-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Ooops......embarressed moment! lol

*shys away into closet*
Matt you cant go in the Cupord theres no room what with Cristiano Ronaldo in there

the-rocks-stunner
05-29-2011, 03:25 PM
I can only imagine that means yes you did, but as a fan of another club, you are incapable of supporting an English club when they are in Europe....

It's ok - I'm supportive towards people who need help with footballing history - my dad is a manc scum fan so.....

Ah - the beautiful game

''if you know your history'' that may let you know who i support, and besides i know more football history than you ever will

thejman93
05-29-2011, 03:27 PM
''if you know your history'' that may let you know who i support, and besides i know more football history than you ever will

Your fucking with the wrong girl dude.

the-rocks-stunner
05-29-2011, 03:32 PM
Your fucking with the wrong girl dude.

Really did a sports history course at uni, specifically FOOTBALL(soccer)

No_1eddiefan
05-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Barcelona were by far the best team last night.

Man Utd need a player in midfield that can turn a game.

Barca have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro- all of whom can play in midfield and can turn a game on it's head in a matter of seconds.

Man Utd don't have that kind of player. Few PL teams do.
Arsenal- Fabregas, Nasri (sometimes)
Chelsea- Lampard (sometimes)
Liverpool- Gerrard (sometimes)
Man City- Silva (sometimes)
Tottenham- Van Der Vaart, Bale, Modric (sometimes)

Man Utd could do with bringing in a midfielder who can have that touch of class, because right now, they rely a lot on Rooney and the surprise Hernandez brings, and while thats fine against above average teams in the CL, Schalke etc, and other English teams. Against Barcelona, or even Real Madrid, it isn't good enough. As proven last night.

I feel the team with the best midfield in the EPL in terms of first choice is Spurs. Lennon, Modric, VDV & Bale. Tough to beat to be honest. Arsenal, especially with Wilshere improving every game, can push them, but Man Utd need to invest in the midfield this summer to have a chance of competing with Barcelona next season in the CL.

the-rocks-stunner
05-29-2011, 03:48 PM

Barca have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro- all of whom can play in midfield and can turn a game on it's head in a matter of seconds.

Man Utd could do with bringing in a midfielder who can have that touch of class, because right now, they rely a lot on Rooney and the surprise Hernandez brings, and while thats fine against above average teams in the CL, Schalke etc, and other English teams. Against Barcelona, or even Real Madrid, it isn't good enough. As proven last night.

I feel the team with the best midfield in the EPL in terms of first choice is Spurs. Lennon, Modric, VDV & Bale. Tough to beat to be honest. Arsenal, especially with Wilshere improving every game, can push them, but Man Utd need to invest in the midfield this summer to have a chance of competing with Barcelona next season in the CL.

Gerrard is getting old now they need to replace him soon

No_1eddiefan
05-29-2011, 03:53 PM

Yeah, same with Lampard, who is older. But both still have that quality to turn a game.

Steve Austin
05-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Hey! You never speak about Gerrard like that, he's 31 that's prime age for most centre midfielders.

Steve Austin
05-29-2011, 04:03 PM

I don't think Spurs have the best midfield. Lennon is alright, Bale has his moments, Modric is amazing and VDV plays behind the striker, Tottenham never play that midfield 4 because Huddlestone, Palacios or Sandro play as their defensive outlet. Arsenal and Chelsea play 433 so can't really compare but Fabregas, Wilshere, Nasri, Song 3 of those 4 are a great midfield aswell as Mikel, Essien, Lampard and Ramires. IMO Man Utd or Man City have the best Options with their large squads with a large amount of quality.

eboy
05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
to all liverpool fans I say

19 TIMES AND THATS A FACT

Man Untd now the most decorated team in england

the-rocks-stunner
05-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Hey! You never speak about Gerrard like that, he's 31 that's prime age for most centre midfielders.

27 is the prime age of 90% of midfielders, he's on his way down now

Polly-Pablo
05-30-2011, 05:07 AM

1) I'm actually not interested in who you support, if it seemed that I may have been, I can only say that I'm willing to overlook your naivety on that occasion

2) I have more than enough knowledge of the game and the history of it, no need to worry yourself

3) I'm fairly sure that you can't possibly be telling the truth when you say that - you neither know me or have any earthly clue on my background - best not to post things that have the opportunity to make you look a little silly.

Please try not to kick up a shit storm without the ability to take the flack back.

End of

No_1eddiefan
05-30-2011, 06:03 AM
I don't think Spurs have the best midfield. Lennon is alright, Bale has his moments, Modric is amazing and VDV plays behind the striker, Tottenham never play that midfield 4 because Huddlestone, Palacios or Sandro play as their defensive outlet. Arsenal and Chelsea play 433 so can't really compare but Fabregas, Wilshere, Nasri, Song 3 of those 4 are a great midfield aswell as Mikel, Essien, Lampard and Ramires. IMO Man Utd or Man City have the best Options with their large squads with a large amount of quality.

Yeah, Man City have options but they fail to have that player who can turn games. The player who has that special moment. Same with Man Utd. Giggs has one a season perhaps, but it isn't good enough if they want to be competing with the likes of Barca and Real- who have players that have at least 3 or 4 game changing moments a game- next season.

Modric is one player who has been linked with Man Utd, he could be that player they seem to be missing, but there is definitely a major dip in class in the Man Utd midfield compared to the rest of the team, and the other top teams around, and that was proved on Saturday night.

the-rocks-stunner
05-30-2011, 08:27 AM
1) I'm actually not interested in who you support, if it seemed that I may have been, I can only say that I'm willing to overlook your naivety on that occasion

2) I have more than enough knowledge of the game and the history of it, no need to worry yourself

3) I'm fairly sure that you can't possibly be telling the truth when you say that - you neither know me or have any earthly clue on my background - best not to post things that have the opportunity to make you look a little silly.

Please try not to kick up a shit storm without the ability to take the flack back.

End of

liverpool fans talking shit again

eboy
05-30-2011, 09:15 AM

They dont do anything else:)

Polly-Pablo
05-30-2011, 09:34 AM

I didn't mention Liverpool at all. Everyone has the right to support who they like - there's always banter but I have no real animosity towards anyone because of the team they support.

Not really any need to be so spiteful, unless you're just spoiling for a fight.

I'm not arguing over some silly picture, I'd have thought we were all mature enough not to!

I haven't insulted you or your team so there's really no need for it. Out of respect for the Mods this subject is dropped.

On a side note - we don't all talk shit - that's Liverpool-ist

the-rocks-stunner
05-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I didn't mention Liverpool at all. Everyone has the right to support who they like - there's always banter but I have no real animosity towards anyone because of the team they support.

Not really any need to be so spiteful, unless you're just spoiling for a fight.

I'm not arguing over some silly picture, I'd have thought we were all mature enough not to!

I haven't insulted you or your team so there's really no need for it. Out of respect for the Mods this subject is dropped.

On a side note - we don't all talk shit - that's Liverpool-ist

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q27/galakadon/GiggityGiggity.jpg

Juvenile Junkie
06-13-2011, 10:57 AM
both UEFA Europa League and Champions Leagues need serious overhauls.UCL is now a 3 country tournament.

eboy
06-13-2011, 11:02 AM
both UEFA Europa League and Champions Leagues need serious overhauls.UCL is now a 3 country tournament.

your point is?

Steve Austin
06-13-2011, 12:12 PM
your point is?

I don't think he has a point, Its been like this for years. A Spanish, English or Italian team always wins it bar the odd win by a German, French, Dutch team every so often, even Porto won it in 2004.

Juvenile Junkie
06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
its unhealthy.UEFA has 50 odd member countries.Only 3 can win the Champions League its ridiculous.Obviously if you come from England,Spain and Italy you think its great,but lets face it,we've seen the same ties over and over.

Last time a team from outside the big 3 leagues won the UCL was Porto in 2004
Last time a team from outside the big 3 leagues + overrated Bundesliga made a semi was PSV in 2005
Last time we had 8 QF'ists from 8 different countires was 1996/97

Italy who are still realing from the Calciopoli scandal have won 2 UCL,2 FIFA Club World Cups,1 UEFA Super Cup and A FIFA World Cup since the Calciopoli scandal broke in may 2006.Doesn't say much for everyone else,bar Spain.

4 of the last 8 winners of the Europa League come from Spain,but atleast that tournament is fairly open,multi-national representation and unpredictable.

Steve Austin
06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
its unhealthy.UEFA has 50 odd member countries.Only 3 can win the Champions League its ridiculous.Obviously if you come from England,Spain and Italy you think its great,but lets face it,we've seen the same ties over and over.

Last time a team from outside the big 3 leagues won the UCL was Porto in 2004
Last time a team from outside the big 3 leagues + overrated Bundesliga made a semi was PSV in 2005
Last time we had 8 QF'ists from 8 different countires was 1996/97

Italy who are still realing from the Calciopoli scandal have won 2 UCL,2 FIFA Club World Cups,1 UEFA Super Cup and A FIFA World Cup since the Calciopoli scandal broke in may 2006.Doesn't say much for everyone else,bar Spain.

4 of the last 8 winners of the Europa League come from Spain,but atleast that tournament is fairly open,multi-national representation and unpredictable.

When Inter won the UCL Bayern were in the final and Lyon were in the semi's as well as Bordeaux and CSKA in the quarter finals. In 2008 Fenerbahce were in the quarter finals. Anything can happen over the two legs, no one thought Inter would knock out Chelsea and Barca on the way to winning it and no one thought Bayern would of knocked out Man Utd that same year but it happens. Of course Man Utd and Barcelona are gonna dominate the English and Spanish leagues are the best in the world the the leagues are this good because they have been winning european trophies since their existance. Teams from "The big 3" have been european champions so many times they earned a lot of money enabling them to buy better players. Thats why they are still dominant today and deservedly so they haven't always been massive teams ut by taking risks and winning trophies they deserve their spots as europe's best.

Juvenile Junkie
06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Man United's "domination" came after Calciopoli,not sure if there's anything in that.What about the likes of Ajax,its sad that a club like that cannot compete.

the scary part is Italy win 2 titles in 4 years(2007 and 2010),yet according to Capello and Lippi,will need 5 -10 years to recover from Calciopoli.

I like what the South Americans do for the Copa Libertadores,they scrapped the rule that 2 teams from the same country can't face each other,they allow the winner to play as the champion,hece giving their country an extra spot(so it would be Sevilla in this instance,the team who finished 5th in La Liga).And perhaps the 1 that UEFA should have looked at for the controversial Italy/Germany 4th spot debacle,Paraguay and Uruguay have a direct play off with each other for 1 specific spot in the tournament.(germany gained Italy's 4th spot by picking Co-efficient points in the Europa League,doesn't make sense,but hey).Not sure what you think of any of those rules,but hey,they produce good players,so they must know a thing or too.

And abolish this hogwash that Monaco hosts the UEFA Super Cup each year,spread it around,like FIFA do with the World Cup.

Juvenile Junkie
06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Im sure if you took the Europa League final and played it here in South Africa @ Soccer City,the 90000 seater would be sold out,its what amazes me about Europe,such top notch football,yet empty stadiums,being of Greek decent,Greece is probably a great example,Champions League ties are no longer sell out,the National team plays in a half full stadium.And you barely ever find a sell out Europa League tie in England or Italy.Even Valencia's tie @ the Mestalla was not even a sell out,you would think after 2 years of UEFA Cup football,and the factt hat man united came to town,the Valencia folk would have bought all those tickest within minutes(ala Bayern vs Inter),but sadly it wasn't to be.

eboy
06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
I Dont agree with Changing the System because Barcelona are the best Man Untd are Second Inter/Real Third if teams from Germany, Holland Portugal want to change it theres only one way get better!!!!

Automatic
06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
I Dont agree with Changing the System because Barcelona are the best Man Untd are Second Inter/Real Third if teams from Germany, Holland Portugal want to change it theres only one way get better!!!!

And that is? Bringing in an oilshiek? Let's face it, the CL is dominated by 3 countries and it's rather boring. There are almost no surprises, it would be more fun if clubs went in the CL with homegrown talent instead of al those overexpensive payed players, and more clubs from different countries.

the-rocks-stunner
06-13-2011, 05:06 PM
And that is? Bringing in an oilshiek? Let's face it, the CL is dominated by 3 countries and it's rather boring. There are almost no surprises, it would be more fun if clubs went in the CL with homegrown talent instead of al those overexpensive payed players, and more clubs from different countries.

Porto won it in 2004... but i get your point

Juvenile Junkie
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
The problem here is that anybody from Spain or Italy or England,thinks that their league is God's gift to Earth,that its their divine right to win,and if they lose,they come up with a million excuses,make up allegations,conspiracy theories.

Premfacer!

Juvenile Junkie
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
what about the legacy of Louis Van Gaal's Ajax of 1995?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Look how young they were,most home grown,and what they have gone on to achieve.Well apart from Dennis Bergkamp flopping in Italy......

Automatic
06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
what about the legacy of Louis Van Gaal's Ajax of 1995?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??

Look how young they were,most home grown,and what they have gone on to achieve.Well apart from Dennis Bergkamp flopping in Italy......

Bergkamp was good at Arsenal. I loved him there.

eboy
06-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Thing is the Biggest Players in the World is what the Champos league respresents the whole surprise and anything can happen deal is the FA Cup so IMO The Champions League is all about Dream Matches if teams dont like Barca Man Untd & Inter Prove us wrong

Automatic
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Thing is the Biggest Players in the World is what the Champos league respresents the whole surprise and anything can happen deal is the FA Cup so IMO The Champions League is all about Dream Matches if teams dont like Barca Man Untd & Inter Prove us wrong

The reason all the biggest players are only in the big 3 countries is because they have all the money. If you could only use homegrown players there would be a more balanced range of so called 'dream matches'. There would be topclubs in Spain, England, Italy, Portugal, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Russia and maybe some other countries with a good youth development. Every talent that has 'potential' goes to England. All the best players go nowadays to the top 6/8 clubs in the world and you can see them play against each other almost every season. The FA Cup is just a domestic cup. In every domestic cup you have those surprises of a little team beating the odds.

eboy
06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
The reason all the biggest players are only in the big 3 countries is because they have all the money. If you could only use homegrown players there would be a more balanced range of so called 'dream matches'. There would be topclubs in Spain, England, Italy, Portugal, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Russia and maybe some other countries with a good youth development. Every talent that has 'potential' goes to England. All the best players go nowadays to the top 6/8 clubs in the world and you can see them play against each other almost every season. The FA Cup is just a domestic cup. In every domestic cup you have those surprises of a little team beating the odds.

its football its all about the money

Automatic
06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
its football its all about the money

Yep, and that's a sad conclusion. I blame Blatter.

eboy
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Yep, and that's a sad conclusion. I blame Blatter.

agreed fifa needs a new image and a new President

Automatic
06-13-2011, 06:48 PM
agreed fifa needs a new image and a new President

That man just screams cheating and fraud:p.

Juvenile Junkie
06-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Hopefully FIFA Financial fairplay will balance out the field,and also the 6+5 rule.

Only a Limie would compare a local cup competition to the Champions League,you gotta be kidding me.

Automatic
06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Hopefully FIFA Financial fairplay will balance out the field,and also the 6+5 rule.

Only a Limie would compare a local cup competition to the Champions League,you gotta be kidding me.

Agreed, and you should only be eligible for European football if you have no debts.

Juvenile Junkie
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
6 + 5 rule sounded like a good balancing act,unfortunately 1 country thought it was a FIFA/UEFA conspiracy against them and their press ripped that idea to shreds

Automatic
06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Was it England?

Juvenile Junkie
06-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Yes.But to be fair,The idea was announced in the time period of the 2008 Champions League final,the timing wasn't great,it DID look like an anti-England ploy,although England around that time period,did trash every other football league around and boasted that theirs was God's gift to humanity.

Oh well could be worse,Imagine a tournament where the finalists are a guarantee...............CONCACAF Gold Cup anyone??

Automatic
06-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Lol, talk about a cup with no credibility.

Juvenile Junkie
06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I think they should merge it with the Copa America.Mexico play in that tournament in any case.

anyways,speaking of continental tournaments,we(South Africa) might get the 2013 African Cup of Nations,which was stripped from Libya,kinda feel sorry for them,but a confederations cup,a world cup and 2 AFCON's in 2013 and 2017(we are the hosts of that 1) in 9 years ain't bad.