PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on Alberto Del Rio. Can he make it to the top?

SilverGhost
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Basically what the title says.

I think he does have what it takes to be a future World Heavyweight Champion.

Your thoughts, complaints, opinions?

(Note: try to not say "JBL". There is a world of difference from coming from a rich family and a stock broker.

For those who don't know Alberto Del Rio, here is his entrance and finisher:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yl2hHZlCU&feature=fvw

dre-dray
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Defiantly. I love everything about this guy.

Very refreshing to see.

I can see him at the top by Christmas.

eyehatecena
09-17-2010, 11:14 AM
I think he does...my only complaint...the car(Yes, I know JBL and Del Rio are two totally differnt characters, just seems like they are recycling part of JBLs entrance)...get rid of it. But his own ring annouccer? well that is really cool. gets him over even more, much like Mr Kennedys own self annoucing thing did. His inring work....no complaint at all...his promos are great too.

SilverGhost
09-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I think the cars that he brings(I am impressed by the rides)says what CM Punk says "I am better than you"

I've seen his vids when he was in Mexico and Japan, I think we haven't seen anything yet from him.

eyehatecena
09-17-2010, 11:25 AM
I think he could pull off the "I'm better than you" without the car, just with his promos, actually I think he is already. Maybe the car will grow on me...just seems like recylcling bits of others entrances And yes, I have seen a little of his internationl work, so I was excited when I heard he was coming to WWE- and his Del Rio character actually works...creative actually had one good idea

SilverGhost
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Lol maybe every week try to guess what kind of car he will come out in xD

Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Bentley xD

IPEEINTHESHOWER
09-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I think he should go back to working at the taco truck down the street in my city. He makes the best taco's in the world. U MAD?

Leonardo
09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
This guy reminds me a lot of the MASTERPIECE chris masters......i think he will get a push for a little time and be real forgettable once he gets hurt....I am a latino and I don't connect with him i think if they want a spanish look for a wrestler
to sub for rey misterio it should be another HIGH FLYER type wrestler.....if AMAZING RED wasn't with TNA he would be a good fit or Hernandez(if they help him with his spanish) again TNA......maybe they should work on that like when they had world Xcup good IDEA....jajajaja yeah way off topic but anyway I don't think people will side with him just because of his name....

SilverGhost
09-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I think he should go back to working at the taco truck down the street in my city. He makes the best taco's in the world. U MAD?

I am not mad. I am just flabbergasted by the lack of intelligence you have.

jethro
09-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I think he can make it on top if everything went well,no sudden injuries,passport problem,backstage manner etc etc.

SilverGhost
09-17-2010, 11:52 AM
This guy reminds me a lot of the MASTERPIECE chris masters......i think he will get a push for a little time and be real forgettable once he gets hurt....I am a latino and I don't connect with him i think if they want a spanish look for a wrestler
to sub for rey misterio it should be another HIGH FLYER type wrestler.....if AMAZING RED wasn't with TNA he would be a good fit or Hernandez(if they help him with his spanish) again TNA......maybe they should work on that like when they had world Xcup good IDEA....jajajaja yeah way off topic but anyway I don't think people will side with him just because of his name....

I am a guy who is latino also (Salvadorean decent) but I love the guys character. I somewhat agree to what you are saying. Del Rio is a high flyer as well. Maybe the WWE isn't letting him of the ground yet. I'm guessing if he does get injured, he won't be forgotten that quick since he made a big impact. So far, the character is growing.

Belzova
09-17-2010, 12:52 PM
As long as he doesnt keep complaining about not having his mask then he will go places.

DarkSide
09-17-2010, 01:51 PM
As long as he doesnt keep complaining about not having his mask then he will go places.

You're so right. As long as he keeps his diva behavior in check he will go high.

This guy has charisma established talent can only dream of. And technical ability and physical strength as well (check his gorilla press slam on the Mexican circuit). To compare him to Masters and even JBL is stupid; he will go far.

WWTNA
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
he could make it to the top in my opinion he has what the wwe needs right now a young cocky brash talented superstar that you would not expect to be a top guy but shows that he is the one the problem i have with him is his mic skills

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Okay, who's grand idea was it to put this guy on commentary. There's obviously still a language barrier there and the color commentary was full of awkward pauses the whole way through. I mean don't get me wrong the ending was great, he can flawlessly execute a great heel promo for a limited time, but this guy was no where near ready to talk for a full ten minutes with the whole world watching.

djsoulslayer
09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
IMO, it depends on two things:

1. How much the WWE is really willing to invest in him. We all know that it doesn't take much talent to become a top guy in the WWE. I am not gonna give any examples as I am sure u all can think of a few urself. (We probably aren't thinking of the same superstar anyway.) If the WWE wants u as a maineventer they force down the fans' throats until we like u.

2. His attitude. As long as he doesn't piss off the wrong ppl in the WWE, he should be ok. We all have heard about the politics in the wrestling business so if Alberto learns to play the game, he just might win big.

IrkenInvader
09-18-2010, 12:17 AM
I see the potential but I just don't like the "I'm better than you because I'm rich" gimmicks. But his character will change eventually so I will probably like him more then.

SilverGhost
09-18-2010, 12:30 AM

The mask is a HUGE deal, especially for Del Rio as Dos Caras Jr. WWE is playing favorites on who wears a mask. Mexican luchadores the majority wears masks because its tradition for the luchadores.

I can understand why Del Rio will be at least irritated on not wearing a mask. Rey had to tell his uncle that WCW made him take off his mask. That insulted his uncle.

The Watcher
09-18-2010, 03:57 AM
The problem is this - if they'd brought him in wearing a mask then you wouldn't be able to see that shit-eating grin of his... That alone is a perfect tool to get him over (see him smile when he's standing on Reys hand on the ring steps and listen to the crowds boos).

In my opinion Del Rio is THE most exciting thing to have happend to WWE this year - including Nexus! He can talk, he can wrestle (to an amazing degree if you youtube him as Dos Caras you'll see what I mean) and he just looks like a slimeball.

WWE are obviously extremely high on him, and rightly so! Shit, I like him so much he's currently one of our banner stars! (http://www.twfnews.com/forum).

SgtGohan
09-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Simple answer, yes. and he will.

mrqib
09-18-2010, 08:19 AM
I really like this wrestler. Very refreshing . The entrance theme, the personal ring announcer, the promos, it all works

My only complain is his finisher.. I find it a very weak choice

DirtySteal
09-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I really like this wrestler. Very refreshing . The entrance theme, the personal ring announcer, the promos, it all works

Agreed. Concidering Rio's top notch in ring abilities I wonder why this was chosen as his finisher.

However, saying that, it is refreshing to see a heel with a submission hold as a main finisher. As time moves on I think he'll adopt an impact finisher.

I just hope WWE doesnt stop this guy from really showing off in the ring, they need to let him be himself and wrestle.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Agreed. Concidering Rio's top notch in ring abilities I wonder why this was chosen as his finisher.

However, saying that, it is refreshing to see a heel with a submission hold as a main finisher. As time moves on I think he'll adopt an impact finisher.

I just hope WWE doesnt stop this guy from really showing off in the ring, they need to let him be himself and wrestle.

Submission moves are pretty cool. Impact moves, if you think about it, are very easy to recover from or reverse as with a submission it is constant PAIN until' they can find a way to break loose from it. So, if you really think about it Del Rio could go places using a submissive finisher. Just ask Bret Hart. I will not thumb down the idea of him adopting a spine buster, a powerbomb, or some weird top rope slam as a finisher though. Because those moves usually radiate the best reactions from the fans, especially KIDS who are apparently not to fond of submission moves. They always go silent... Lol.

DirtySteal
09-18-2010, 09:33 AM
I remember when I was a kid I always used to mark out when somone got a submission hold in, somtimes more often than when an impact move was used. Stupid kids of today. -__-

The Watcher
09-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Whats wrong with using a believable finisher? People legitimately tap out to armbars in MMA, how many have you seen be KO'd by a Stunner??

He's been using that finisher for a while now, he also does a great line in Military press into a German suplex... Del Rio can do FARRRRRRRRRRRR more than we've seen on WWE as of yet.

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
09-18-2010, 10:44 AM
i think he can if wwe pushes him the right way which they are doing now and he will become face once rey leaves and will be a jbl but a face one

SilverGhost
09-18-2010, 10:49 AM

I like the armbar special. It suits his character.

Also he has an MMA background, so he knows how to use it well and make you suffer along the way. The flipping action makes it cool.

TheDevilsAdvocate
09-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Also he has an MMA background, so he knows how to use it well and make you suffer along the way. The flipping action makes it cool.

Exactly! I agree that it is a very reasonable finisher for a guy with an MMA background to have.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
09-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Agree 100%

SilverGhost
09-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Lol!

I hope my post cleared somethings up.

Enlgish_TNA4LYF_FAN
09-18-2010, 11:46 PM
he is a gem and a definate world title contnder

wud b a better champ than miz or john morrison

and is loads bettr than drew mcintyre and sheamus

SilverGhost
09-18-2010, 11:57 PM
he is a gem and a definate world title contnder

wud b a better champ than miz or john morrison

and is loads bettr than drew mcintyre and sheamus

Del Rio is like a gem. Though I am concerned on how WWE will take this guy. He has alot of potential.

DarkSide
09-19-2010, 05:15 AM
Del Rio will go to the top if handled right. He has charisma and the ability - but...

...what counts in WWE is how much merchandise you move.

1) Del Rio should have the option of using his mask (maybe as a face in the future?)
2) Maybe he needs a catchphrase - for t-shirts.
3) he should adopt the Rock Bottom as an instant finisher - again with a cool finisher name for merchandise.

AndyWonder
09-19-2010, 07:58 AM
I would like to see him with the WWE title. He can join Eddie on the list of a Latin-American or Spanish-American to hold it. He already draws a lot of heat and i like his whole look and all his hand gestures and everything is cool about him except for that simple arm wrench finisher. Speaking of that, I've only seen him wrestle once in the...what...5 weeks he has been on tv. Him being in more actual matches instead of segments will do better as well.

SilverGhost
09-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Del Rio will go to the top if handled right. He has charisma and the ability - but...

...what counts in WWE is how much merchandise you move.

1) Del Rio should have the option of using his mask (maybe as a face in the future?)
2) Maybe he needs a catchphrase - for t-shirts.
3) he should adopt the Rock Bottom as an instant finisher - again with a cool finisher name for merchandise.

I like this idea. Just why the finisher of the Rock Bottom? He has his own instant finishers. The armbar is just one of them.
He should have the chance to wear the mask in the future as a face. Like a "mystery challenger for the championship" storyline or something.

DarkSide
09-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I like this idea. Just why the finisher of the Rock Bottom? He has his own instant finishers. The armbar is just one of them.He should have the chance to wear the mask in the future as a face. Like a "mystery challenger for the championship" storyline or something.

Yes, the armbar is one of them, but his more spectacular finisher on the Mexican circuit was the Gorilla Press Slam and I don't think he will carry this over to WWE. Not one to make wild speculation, but have you noticed hardly anyone in WWE uses the Millitary Press slam anymore? It was all about the same time the stricter Wellness Policy kicked in...hmmm?:rolleyes:

I dunno why I thought of the Rock Bottom, but Alberto reminds me of Rocky Maivia (circa his NOD days).

A wrestler always needs another finisher if one is a submission move, example, Angle Slam - Angle Lock, Crossface - Diving Headbutt, Anaconda Vice - GTS.

SilverGhost
09-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, the armbar is one of them, but his more spectacular finisher on the Mexican circuit was the Gorilla Press Slam and I don't think he will carry this over to WWE. Not one to make wild speculation, but have you noticed hardly anyone in WWE uses the Millitary Press slam anymore? It was all about the same time the stricter Wellness Policy kicked in...hmmm?:rolleyes:

I dunno why I thought of the Rock Bottom, but Alberto reminds me of Rocky Maivia (circa his NOD days).

A wrestler always needs another finisher if one is a submission move, example, Angle Slam - Angle Lock, Crossface - Diving Headbutt, Anaconda Vice - GTS.

I see where you are getting at. I am a guy that prefers wrestlers with 2 finishers(submission and their own)

As for the military press, I barely see that now. Only one that comes to my mind that does it is Big Show. I would see Del Rio do it as a face and wearing his mask.

Another finisher would be nice for Del Rio.

jethro
09-19-2010, 11:37 AM
The armbreaker submission will be name....EL DORADO

Young Guns
09-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Maybe he needs a catchphrase - for t-shirts.

He already has a catchphrase, but I bet that you already knew that.

SilverGhost
09-21-2010, 11:18 AM
The armbreaker submission will be name....EL DORADO

I don't see it called like that. Armbreaker sounds more promising.

IrkenInvader
07-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Relevant bump.

maar13
07-11-2011, 06:54 PM
I see where you are getting at. I am a guy that prefers wrestlers with 2 finishers(submission and their own)

As for the military press, I barely see that now. Only one that comes to my mind that does it is Big Show. I would see Del Rio do it as a face and wearing his mask.

Another finisher would be nice for Del Rio.

The guy is great and will become CHamp probably before this year end, the Arm Bar he applies is just vicious and very good.

Also, his secondary finisher is that elevated Enziguri that he usally uses when someone is on the Top turbuckle, he used it during hist tenure as Dos Caras Jr ( i know he used that for a long time, but in the WWE was just for a little while) in the WWE.

Pumpkinhead
07-11-2011, 07:05 PM
The best heel right besides Punk, has charisma,ring skills and a deadly finisher (funny that the armbar was used as basic move in the E' before him haha) , he'll be champ soon... but we already knew that

Viper
07-11-2011, 07:41 PM
i'd love to see alberto del rio as world champion before the end of the year.