PDA

View Full Version : Remember Those Tournaments I Was Hosting? Well...Any Horror Movie Fans??

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Okay ladies and gentleman, I’m back again with a new idea for a tournament that is just a bit different than my other ones in that it (obviously) doesn’t have a bit to do with wrestling. As you have probably guessed from the title, this one will be ALL about the scary movies. Now before I go any further, I aint talkin about the movies you and your lady friend attend to get her to cuddle up with you in the theater, just to have her quickly forget about it moments after she leaves the theater. I’m talkin about the films that’ll keep her up ALL night if you get what I’m saying. The one’s where she, and even you, simply cannot sleep alone the night of seeing the movie. These are the elite of the elite in horror film lure, and hopefully, we’ll find out the best one of them all.

Now the reason for this particular thread is to decipher how much interest this type of thing will generate, hence the reason for the poll, and to see if it’s in my best interest to go through with this thing. If nobodies interested, then I might have to scrap the whole idea, but I don’t want to do that, so I might be sending some PMs to some of you to double check. I know this section doesn’t get a whole bunch of traffic in it either, so I’ll make another sig to try to get the idea out there more.

f you’re in fact wandering about my credentials on this sort of thing, I want you all to know that I have an extensive collection of over 150 horror films (yeah, I’m THAT guy) and while I’ve only seen about 80 of them, I’ll make sure I re-watch all the classics before making my decisions. Now I can say a lot more about this topic as it is one of my greatest passions, but I’ll save some of my thoughts for another time if we are in fact gonna do the damn thing.

The Brown One
02-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Sounds good mate.

Necroyeti
02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd be willing to put in some input.

I'd probably be at a complete loss for anything made in the past twenty years or so though, as most of my horror knowledge seems to be pre-80s or from the silent era. (nb Nosferatu and Vampyr are must-watches)

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I'd be willing to put in some input.

I'd probably be at a complete loss for anything made in the past twenty years or so though, as most of my horror knowledge seems to be pre-80s or from the silent era. (nb Nosferatu and Vampyr are must-watches)

There has been some good stuff out there since then, but for the most part I completely agree with you. Mostly Japanese horror films are where it's at these days though. Audition was brutal.

Kashdinero
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
There has been some good stuff out there since then, but for the most part I completely agree with you. Mostly Japanese horror films are where it's at these days though. Audition was brutal.

I've seen the Ring Trilogy and The Eye. Nothing like a good old fashioned Japanese horror to send a few chills down the spine. Much like their wrestling, the Japanese really do put a lot of their western counterparts to shame. For me though, Horror films aren't what I'd call a great subject for a tournament, but that's just a completely personal opinion. If you do decide to start this tournament though, I'd be more than willing to contribute and comment where I can.

Also, what happened with the "Best ever feuds" tournament? Did I, stupidly, miss the finals?

I was having a lot of fun with that, and then it just disappeared.... A bit like RobStars Wrestling Knowledge quiz ;) (although to be fair, that thing was only ever gonna end one way, and the victor was a forgone conclusion ;))

Necroyeti
02-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Takashi Miike is an absolute genius.

Audition, Ring 2 and Dark Water (and Story of Ricky, if exploitation/splatter counts) are probably the best horror films I've seen from the past couple decades, so I guess Japan have been owning this decade artistically (while Americans are mostly making the same film over and over again with a different bunch of whiny teenagers, lol)

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Takashi Miike is an absolute genius.

Audition, Ring 2 and Dark Water (and Story of Ricky, if exploitation/splatter counts) are probably the best horror films I've seen from the past couple decades, so I guess Japan have been owning this decade artistically (while Americans are mostly making the same film over and over again with a different bunch of whiny teenagers, lol)

I think they are filming Scream 4 as we speak.

IPEEINTHESHOWER likes all of the Scream movies. I still have nightmares about that movie Audition.

Rich Cranium
02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
The Ring movies were awesome as were the Jigsaw flicks.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I've seen the Ring Trilogy and The Eye. Nothing like a good old fashioned Japanese horror to send a few chills down the spine. Much like their wrestling, the Japanese really do put a lot of their western counterparts to shame. For me though, Horror films aren't what I'd call a great subject for a tournament, but that's just a completely personal opinion. If you do decide to start this tournament though, I'd be more than willing to contribute and comment where I can.

Also, what happened with the "Best ever feuds" tournament? Did I, stupidly, miss the finals?

I was having a lot of fun with that, and then it just disappeared.... A bit like RobStars Wrestling Knowledge quiz ;) (although to be fair, that thing was only ever gonna end one way, and the victor was a forgone conclusion ;))

Funny, because a few people have mentioned just that to me recently, and I'm planning on doing a match=up right now. For the immediate future though, I will only be posting the poll with no write up, as Apocolapse Now has popped up on On Demand and I'm about to go watch it with someone. I wil be posting both of the remaining mach-ups though tonight with full write ups in all likelihood.

And yes, Japanese Horror (and wrestling) has been kicking our ass lately. There have been a few gems here and there, but it's mostly all remakes of REAL horror films.

Kashdinero
02-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Funny, because a few people have mentioned just that to me recently, and I'm planning on doing a match=up right now. For the immediate future though, I will only be posting the poll with no write up, as Apocolapse Now has popped up on On Demand and I'm about to go watch it with someone. I wil be posting both of the remaining mach-ups though tonight with full write ups in all likelihood.

And yes, Japanese Horror (and wrestling) has been kicking our ass lately. There have been a few gems here and there, but it's mostly all remakes of REAL horror films.

Good! I thought I was going mad!

The Brown One
02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Just my opinion..one of the worst horror series made: I know what you did last summer.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Just my opinion..one of the worst horror series made: I know what you did last summer.

Meh, it was very average imo. Unfortuantly, not a whole lot of great Horror sequels have been made. The only one that comes to mind right now is Aliens.

The Brown One
02-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Meh, it was very average imo. Unfortuantly, not a whole lot of great Horror sequels have been made. The only one that comes to mind right now is Aliens.

Good point. Like they say: you can't beat the classics! That could apply very well here. What did you think of The Shining?

thedominator92
02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
you can't talk about horror movies with out talking about the human centipede

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Good point. Like they say: you can't beat the classics! That could apply very well here. What did you think of The Shining?

The Shining was a brilliant film in my opinion. It was full of unforgetable scenes. It's definatly in consideration for my final cut. When I was composing my list, it's remarkable not only how many of my favorite Horror movies were remade and sequeled, but how many have been remade and sequeled poorly. It's staggering really.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-26-2011, 10:30 PM

Oh god. That movie even made me cringe at times. Since were on the subject of splatter films (which are most certainly included in this list to answer a previous poster's question) how about Cannible Holocaust??

Kashdinero
02-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Black Water FTW!

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Black Water FTW!

Oh my goodness I heard that was great, but believe it or not I've never seen it. Here is a list of either my absolute favorite Horror movies, or other classics that others can choose from if their having trouble making their lists. This list btw, isn't at all in order.

1. Exorcist
2. The Shining
3. Silence of the Lambs
4. Carrie
5. Misery
6. The Omen (1976)
7. Rosemary’s Baby
8. Sixth Sense
9. The Last House on the Left (1972)
10. Nosfertu (1922)
11. Halloween (1978)
12. Frankenstein (1931)
13. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
14. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
15. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
16. Alien
17. Jacob’s Ladder
18. Psycho (Hitchcock)
19. Se7en
20. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
21. Don’t Look Now
22. Black Christmas (1974)
23. The Black Cat (1934)
24. The Blair Witch Project
25. Audition
26. The Devil’s Rejects
27. Suspiria
28. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
29. The Haunting (1963)
30. The Hitcher (1984)
31. Manhunter
32. The Thing
33. Alice Sweet Alice
34. Ringu (The Japanese version of The Ring)
35. Dracula (1931)
36. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
37. Dead Alive
38. Cannibal Holocaust
39. The Vanishing (1988)
40. The Wickerman (1973)
41. Wait Until Dark
42. Saw
43. Hostile
44. Scream
45. Child’s Play
46. Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
47. Ju-on
48. Friday the 13th
49. Hellraiser
50. The Birds

Necroyeti
02-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Nice list.

My top 50 would look like this, although maybe calling some of these "horror" is a bit of a stretch.

1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2. Evil Dead 2
3. Les Diaboliques
4. Videodrome
5. Nosferatu (1922)
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. Tetsuo: The Iron Man
8. M
9. Vampyr
10. Evil Dead
11. Eraserhead
12. The Shining
13. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
14. Kwaidan
15. Evil Ed
16. Dracula (1931)
17. Psycho (1960)
18. Jaws
19. House (1977)
20. Onibaba
21. The Toxic Avenger
22. Army of Darkness
23. Suspiria
24. Profondo Rosso
25. Ringu
26. Eyes Without a Face
27. Audition
28. Freaks
29. Alien
30. Funny Games (1997)
31. The Thing
32. Frankenstein
33. Bride of Frankenstein
34. Terror Firmer
35. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
36. Hellraiser
37. The Birds
38. Evil Dead II
39. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
40. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
41. The Wicker Man (1973)
42. Killer Condom (The Rubber that rubs YOU out!)
43. Brain Dead
44. Repulsion
45. 28 Days Later
46. Cul-de-Sac
47. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
48. Martin
49. Let The Right One In (2008)
50. Faust (1926)

Kashdinero
02-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Black water is B-Level stuff at best, but I actually enjoyed it immensely. I would never have thought a film about three actors I've never seen before trapped in some tree's, while a massive Aussie Croc lurks in the dark depths of the mangrove swamps that the entire film takes place in, would be so enjoyable. It's well worth checking out this true tale of three very unlucky holiday-makers (and their poor guide).

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Nice list.

My top 50 would look like this, although maybe calling some of these "horror" is a bit of a stretch.

1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2. Evil Dead 2
3. Les Diaboliques
4. Videodrome
5. Nosferatu (1922)
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. Tetsuo: The Iron Man
8. M
9. Vampyr
10. Evil Dead
11. Eraserhead
12. The Shining
13. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
14. Kwaidan
15. Evil Ed
16. Dracula (1931)
17. Psycho (1960)
18. Jaws
19. House (1977)
20. Onibaba
21. The Toxic Avenger
22. Army of Darkness
23. Suspiria
24. Profondo Rosso
25. Ringu
26. Eyes Without a Face
27. Audition
28. Freaks
29. Alien
30. Funny Games (1997)
31. The Thing
32. Frankenstein
33. Bride of Frankenstein
34. Terror Firmer
35. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
36. Hellraiser
37. The Birds
38. Evil Dead II
39. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
40. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
41. The Wicker Man (1973)
42. Killer Condom (The Rubber that rubs YOU out!)
43. Brain Dead
44. Repulsion
45. 28 Days Later
46. Cul-de-Sac
47. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
48. Martin
49. Let The Right One In (2008)
50. Faust (1926)

While I'm not familiar with all of these films, the only two I wouldn't consider Horror films would be the bolded two. Jaws is for sure one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, and it's a brilliant 4 star effort, but I qualify if as more of an action/adventure film than a Horror one. Some people may disagree, and that is entirely their choice, but for this reason it doesn't get my personal vote for making the final cut. Eraserhead, while certainly disturbing in a lot of ways, is not what I would call a horror film either, but an example of experimental filmaking. It's quite an interesting peice of filmaking and is very artistic in that everyone has different interpretations of what the film is actually trying to say. If you liked eraserhead, you should see begotten, which is equally, if not more disturbing in a lot of ways. Very good list nevertheless. I knew I forgot something on my list and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari was it. One of my absolute favorite silent pictures of all time.

Iron Ape
02-28-2011, 05:25 PM
You should check out the sequel to [REC] if you haven't already. In my opinion, it's the best pure horror sequel ever made.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
You should check out the sequel to [REC] if you haven't already. In my opinion, it's the best pure horror sequel ever made.

I never saw the original REC, but I am aware of it. Is it recommended?

Iron Ape
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I never saw the original REC, but I am aware of it. Is it recommended?
It's fucking excellent. One of the absolute best horror films of the past decade.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
It's fucking excellent. One of the absolute best horror films of the past decade.

Great I'll check it out. Like most American remakes, Quarantine wasn't well received by a lot of people, but than again I've never seen that either.

Iron Ape
02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Great I'll check it out. Like most American remakes, Quarentine wasn't well recieved by a lot of people, but I've never seen that either.
Even though it was a near shot-for-shot remake, much like Gus Van Sant's Psycho, it was just missing a certain something. And while Quarantine's not a bad film by any stretch, it's nowhere near the level of greatness of [REC].

Do yourself a favor and get both [REC] and [REC]2 and have yourself a double feature. You won't regret it, like, at all.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Even though it was a near shot-for-shot remake, much like Gus Van Sant's Psycho, it was just missing a certain something. And while Quarantine's not a bad film by any stretch, it's nowhere near the level of greatness of [REC].

Do yourself a favor and get both [REC] and [REC]2 and have yourself a double feature. You won't regret it, like, at all.

Once I can afford them, I think I will get both off of Amazon. I heard that Quarantine is rather hit or miss, but I have come to grow a bit of a hatred for all things Remakes. I've some pretty horrible ones in my day, including both The Vanishing and The Wickerman, which were two of my favorite Horror flicks of all time destroyed by Holloywood endings, bad scripts, and horrid acting.

Iron Ape
03-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Once I can afford them, I think I will get both off of Amazon. I heard that Quarantine is rather hit or miss, but I have come to grow a bit of a hatred for all things Remakes. I've some pretty horrible ones in my day, including both The Vanishing and The Wickerman, which were two of my favorite Horror flicks of all time destroyed by Holloywood endings, bad scripts, and horrid acting.
The existence of remakes in no way devalues or detracts from the original films, so I don't have any problem with them. Was, say, Rob Zombie's Halloween one of the most excruciatingly awful films that I've ever seen? Yep. I've still got John Carpenter's original, though, and that's all that really matters. Besides, there have been lots of really fantastic films that I'd be without were it not for remakes (Cronenberg's The Fly, Carpenter's The Thing, Matt Reeves' Let Me In, just to name a few).

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-01-2011, 12:31 AM
The existence of remakes in no way devalues or detracts from the original films, so I don't have any problem with them. Was, say, Rob Zombie's Halloween one of the most excruciatingly awful films that I've ever seen? Yep. I've still got John Carpenter's original, though, and that's all that really matters. Besides, there have been lots of really fantastic films that I'd be without were it not for remakes (Cronenberg's The Fly, Carpenter's The Thing, Matt Reeves' Let Me In, just to name a few).

Oh yes I completely agree that it by no means takes away from the originals, but at the same time it's like if i tell someone that The Wickerman was in my top 5 creepiest movies of all time (which it in fact was...for some reason that movie just gets to me every time.) everyone says "oh how can you like that Nicolas Cage b.s." and it's just like no, read up on your history a bit before you comment. I don't know, I think it somehow gives the original film a bad reputation for those who have not seen it. And yes I agree that there have been some good ones (I think the Cronenberg's version of The Fly is actually better than the original personally), but for every good remake there are ten atrocious ones, and it also pisses me off that about 70% of the Horror films these days are just rehashed versions of classics. I also tend to get disappointed in some remakes that looked like they had the potential to be good. Rob Zombie's Halloween was an example of this. Call me gullible, but I really thought that movie was going to be descent, especially considering how much I enjoyed The Devil's Reject's, but alas, it was just another "Hey lets put a shitload of gore on top of loud noises for an hour and a half and call it a day," movies.

The Brown One
03-01-2011, 12:51 AM
The Shining was a brilliant film in my opinion. It was full of unforgetable scenes. It's definatly in consideration for my final cut. When I was composing my list, it's remarkable not only how many of my favorite Horror movies were remade and sequeled, but how many have been remade and sequeled poorly. It's staggering really.

It had alot of weird, unrealistic imagery..like the blood pouring out of the elevators..but it was built up very well. The ending where Jack groans like Chewbacca was halarious.

I haven't seen that..but I hear its one sick film.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-01-2011, 02:14 AM
It had alot of weird, unrealistic imagery..like the blood pouring out of the elevators..but it was built up very well. The ending where Jack groans like Chewbacca was halarious.

Yeah the part where she randomly sees the two guys, one of which is in the bear suit...was pretty creepy, but in a good way. I like the movies that mess with your head like that. It adds a certain trippy element to it.

The Brown One
03-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Yeah the part where she randomly sees the two guys, one of which is in the bear suit...was pretty creepy, but in a good way. I like the movies that mess with your head like that. It adds a certain trippy element to it.

To this day I didn't understand the bear-suit segment. Can you explain what it meant? What was its significance to the film?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-01-2011, 12:10 PM
To this day I didn't understand the bear-suit segment. Can you explain what it meant? What was its significance to the film?

I can't make too much sense of it either, but here's a shot in the dark: I believe it's some kind of extremely bizarre fetishiism going on there. The whole point of it though was to freak the viewer the fuck out...I think they succeded.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, i just uploaded a vid on youtube of my particular favorite horror films. Why don't you guys check it out and tell me how i did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRvnmY-piM

Iron Ape
03-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey guys, i just uploaded a vid on youtube of my particular favorite horror films. Why don't you guys check it out and tell me how i did?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqRvnmY-piM
It doesn't really say anything about the films. It just comes off as a stranger's arbitrary ranking of horror films, with no sort of insight as to how or why they arrived at, say, their #1 as opposed to their #99. Lists with just the name of a film after the name of another film usually work better in text format simply because they're, well, not drug out over eight and a half minutes. In other words, you need to put some meat on the plate if you insist on having someone sit down for dinner.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
It doesn't really say anything about the films. It just comes off as a stranger's arbitrary ranking of horror films, with no sort of insight as to how or why they arrived at, say, their #1 as opposed to their #99. Lists with just the name of a film after the name of another film usually work better in text format simply because they're, well, not drug out over eight and a half minutes. In other words, you need to put some meat on the plate if you insist on having someone sit down for dinner.

Yes I know there is a problem with this. However, if I were to "put some meat on the plate" it would have ended up being dragged out to about a 30 minute ordeal spanning over multiple videos and I simply thought that people wouldn't be willing to go through the hassle just to find out my opinion on the matter. I also didn't think that simply putting the name of the movie down would have been as fun for the viewer (or for me making the video for that matter) but if I was in fact mistaken, then I do apologize for the time lost. Thanks for the opinion and the view anyway though. I will take your thoughts into consideration for the next video I make.

Oh yeah and btw, I would be more than willing to explain why I ranked the films the way I did if you are interested.

Iron Ape
03-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Yes I know there is a problem with this. However, if I were to "put some meat on the plate" it would have ended up being dragged out to about a 30 minute ordeal spanning over multiple videos and I simply thought that people wouldn't be willing to go through the hassle just to find out my opinion on the matter.
A simple remedy would be cutting down the size of the list. Most outlets limit these kinds of things to 10 so they can offer some thoughts and substance without also wearing their audience down with extraneous length.

I also didn't think that simply putting the name of the movie down would have been as fun for the viewer (or for me making the video for that matter) but if I was in fact mistaken, then I do apologize for the time lost. Thanks for the opinion and the view anyway though. I will take your thoughts into consideration for the next video I make.
Allow me to clarify: Just listing things usually works better in text-based, non-video formats; Simple text over static graphics is something more suited to a basic PowerPoint presentation. Successful use of video, however, usually involves some sort of movement or storytelling, and that wasn't really utilized here.

Oh yeah and btw, I would be more than willing to explain why I ranked the films the way I did if you are interested.
Are any of your explanations going to offer something unique when compared to other arbitrary rankings? I think that's really the key, figuring out what it is that you have that's going to engage people and distinguish you from the thousands of other people doing this very same thing. And it goes far beyond just having an opinion and claiming that you know horror (just about every horror fan with an internet connection claims that they "know" horror). To get people to invest in your analysis, especially for 99 films, you kind of have to offer your audience some sort of incentive, or a hook that makes your opinion interesting. If you have any of that, then I'd happily read your thoughts and/or reasonings.

And just so you know, I'm not trying to be hyper-critical about anything here. Just seemed like you might be looking for a little constructive criticism, so I thought I would give you a little. If none of what I've said pertains to what you're ultimately interested in accomplishing, then just pay me no mind. If you're having fun doing what you do, that's really all that matters.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-03-2011, 11:31 PM
A simple remedy would be cutting down the size of the list. Most outlets limit these kinds of things to 10 so they can offer some thoughts and substance without also wearing their audience down with extraneous length.

Allow me to clarify: Just listing things usually works better in text-based, non-video formats; Simple text over static graphics is something more suited to a basic PowerPoint presentation. Successful use of video, however, usually involves some sort of movement or storytelling, and that wasn't really utilized here.

Are any of your explanations going to offer something unique when compared to other arbitrary rankings? I think that's really the key, figuring out what it is that you have that's going to engage people and distinguish you from the thousands of other people doing this very same thing. And it goes far beyond just having an opinion and claiming that you know horror (just about every horror fan with an internet connection claims that they "know" horror). To get people to invest in your analysis, especially for 99 films, you kind of have to offer your audience some sort of incentive, or a hook that makes your opinion interesting. If you have any of that, then I'd happily read your thoughts and/or reasonings.

And just so you know, I'm not trying to be hyper-critical about anything here. Just seemed like you might be looking for a little constructive criticism, so I thought I would give you a little. If none of what I've said pertains to what you're ultimately interested in accomplishing, then just pay me no mind. If you're having fun doing what you do, that's really all that matters.

1. I thought about cutting down the size of the list to a smaller number and then giving detailed explanations on why they were ranked in this way, but I felt like there are SO many top ten lists, I figured, why the hell not do 100? Besides, one of the main points of making this video was to familiarize myself with Movie Maker, as this was my first ever experience of uploading and I intend to more lists/videos in the near future. The other main points of the video was to possibly put out some great, lesser known Horror films to a broader audience. I've seen many a lists on youtube filled with the same old, same old recent Hollywood movies, and while it wouldn't be right for me to leave out classics, I did want to broaden peoples perspectives on some foreign/indy films that were just as good, if not much better than what most people are used to.

2. Again, since this was my first experience with Movie Maker, and I didn't have clips from any of the movies, and I wasn't aware of how to go about finding said clips, I limited myself to just stills. I'm sure with a little research and elbow grease I could have acquired this information, but I just wanting to get my feet wet with the program so to speak.

3. I certainly get what your saying here, and alas, I have no gimmick or hook. Just a bored man on a horror kick wanting to do a project to kill some free time.

4. There was no offense taken at all on my part. I hope my remarks didn't come out that way. In fact, I took it as the exact opposite. I actually did want some constructive criticism, and you have supplied that to me and actually have given me some good ideas on what to do in the future. You see, after this tournament I'm doing is done, I intend to post the results in a video on youtube on a round by round basis. Not only will this give me the hook that I've needed to grab viewers attention, but it'll also allow me to elaborate on each of the films in the tournament considering that it will be a considerably smaller field to work with. So for this, I'd like to thank you once again for your opinions on the matter, and I will certainly be taking them all into consideration for the future.

Iron Ape
03-04-2011, 12:03 AM
1. I thought about cutting down the size of the list to a smaller number and then giving detailed explanations on why they were ranked in this way, but I felt like there are SO many top ten lists, I figured, why the hell not do 100? Besides, one of the main points of making this video was to familiarize myself with Movie Maker, as this was my first ever experience of uploading and I intend to more lists/videos in the near future. The other main points of the video was to possibly put out some great, lesser known Horror films to a broader audience. I've seen many a lists on youtube filled with the same old, same old recent Hollywood movies, and while it wouldn't be right for me to leave out classics, I did want to broaden peoples perspectives on some foreign/indy films that were just as good, if not much better than what most people are used to.
I totally get what you're saying here, but I'm not sure that just ranking a more obscure title above Hostel or whatever is going to really be enough to tell anyone about that film and/or compel them to seek out said film and watch it (unless that movie poster is, like, really, REALLY kickass).

2. Again, since this was my first experience with Movie Maker, and I didn't have clips from any of the movies, and I wasn't aware of how to go about finding said clips, I limited myself to just stills. I'm sure with a little research and elbow grease I could have acquired this information, but I just wanting to get my feet wet with the program so to speak.
Okay, that's cool.

I wish I had some experience with Movie Maker so I'd could be of more help, but my knowledge in the area of video and motion graphics is sort of limited to Final Cut, After Effects, and LiveType. If you ever start to tinker with any of those, though, feel free to drop me a line as I may be of some assistance.

3. I certainly get what your saying here, and alas, I have no gimmick or hook. Just a bored man on a horror kick wanting to do a project to kill some free time.
Haha. That's cool, too.

4. There was no offense taken at all on my part. I hope my remarks didn't come out that way. In fact, I took it as the exact opposite. I actually did want some constructive criticism, and you have supplied that to me and actually have given me some good ideas on what to do in the future. You see, after this tournament I'm doing is done, I intend to post the results in a video on youtube on a round by round basis. Not only will this give me the hook that I've needed to grab viewers attention, but it'll also allow me to elaborate on each of the films in the tournament considering that it will be a considerably smaller field to work with. So for this, I'd like to thank you once again for your opinions on the matter, and I will certainly be taking them all into consideration for the future.
Good luck with everything.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
I totally get what you're saying here, but I'm not sure that just ranking a more obscure title above Hostel or whatever is going to really be enough to tell anyone about that film and/or compel them to seek out said film and watch it (unless that movie poster is, like, really, REALLY kickass).

While I agree that the ranking an obscure movie over a famous one alone will not grip a viewer into wanting to watch a movie, I think seeing those obscure movies in a "top whatever" countdown will at least get some people interested in seeing the movie. I say this because, simply, I do that very thing. I've seen many a film (a lot of them appeared on my list) based off of recommendations from things similar to my video, and I know that I can't be alone. Btw, I do think "A Tale of Two Sisters" poster is pretty kickass.

Iron Ape
03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
While I agree that the ranking an obscure movie over a famous one alone will not grip a viewer into wanting to watch a movie, I think seeing those obscure movies in a "top whatever" countdown will at least get some people interested in seeing the movie. I say this because, simply, I do that very thing. I've seen many a film (a lot of them appeared on my list) based off of recommendations from things similar to my video, and I know that I can't be alone. Btw, I do think "A Tale of Two Sisters" poster is pretty kickass.
See, I'm also inclined to look into recommendations via "top whatever" countdowns, but usually only from media outlets or very specific persons whose opinions I've come to respect via their critical analysis. Random mentions from opinion-havers' arbitrary rankings on Youtube just doesn't do much for me, as they aren't telling me anything of substance about that film, and I've been given absolutely no reason up to that point to put any stock into that person's opinion. To me, they're just making a grocery list with movie names on it, and that doesn't mean much of anything. Does that make any sense?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-04-2011, 02:06 AM
See, I'm also inclined to look into recommendations via "top whatever" countdowns, but usually only from media outlets or very specific persons whose opinions I've come to respect via their critical analysis. Random mentions from opinion-havers' arbitrary rankings on Youtube just doesn't do much for me, as they aren't telling me anything of substance about that film, and I've been given absolutely no reason up to that point to put any stock into that person's opinion. To me, they're just making a grocery list with movie names on it, and that doesn't mean much of anything. Does that make any sense?

Yes of course that makes sense. Even I don't just spend my time watching every movie that Joe Shmoe says is good. But if it's a movie that does indeed look interesting/unique, or one that I've never heard of but people continue to talk about it, I do feel more inclined to do some more research on them and see just how critically acclaimed they are. If they are percieved to be well done by both the critics and the fans alike, I'll make it a point to watch those movies.

Iron Ape
03-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes of course that makes sense. Even I don't just spend my time watching every movie that Joe Shmoe says is good. But if it's a movie that does indeed look interesting/unique, or one that I've never heard of but people continue to talk about it, I do feel more inclined to do some more research on them and see just how critically acclaimed they are. If they are percieved to be well done by both the critics and the fans alike, I'll make it a point to watch those movies.
Now word of mouth I definitely will agree with, as I'm sure that's compelled me to check out all sorts of stuff over the years (a recent example being the absolutely fantastic British zombie mini-series, Dead Set, which is so far and away light years better than any of the horror offerings made for tv in the states).

Iron Ape
03-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Speaking of word of mouth, I've been hearing raves about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_Kv9jWA3A

The Brown One
03-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Ok....The Human Centipede=disturbing. A question to Ape: If they didn't make a profit, and lost tons of money in comparison to their gains, then why would they make another one. Here are the figures for the film:

Budget: €1.5 million
Gross revenue: €187,000

Iron Ape
03-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Ok....The Human Centipede=disturbing. A question to Ape: If they didn't make a profit, and lost tons of money in comparison to their gains, then why would they make another one. Here are the figures for the film:

Budget: €1.5 million
Gross revenue: €187,000
That gross revenue figure is only representative of it's box office total (of which it only had a very limited release), and does not account for home video rentals and sales (where horror offerings often perform their strongest) or licensing for on-demand services (such as Netflix) and cable.

EDIT: Oh, and Human Centipede kind of sucked. Shock factor is pretty much the only thing that movie had going for it, and it really wasn't anywhere near as shocking as word-of-mouth would have had me believe.

The Brown One
03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
That gross revenue figure is only representative of it's box office total (of which it only had a very limited release), and does not account for home video rentals and sales (where horror offerings often perform their strongest) or licensing for on-demand services (such as Netflix) and cable.

EDIT: Oh, and Human Centipede kind of sucked. Shock factor is pretty much the only thing that movie had going for it, and it really wasn't anywhere near as shocking as word-of-mouth would have had me believe.

Thats news to me, never realized it.

I see. So I guess they have gotten more than what was posted up on the net then. As for the movie itself..yeah even I didn't enjoy that much. It didn't have a good plot, and was just one of those films to make you sick.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I agree with all of your sentiments about The Human Centipede. I'm a gore hound like no other, but to me, you have to have a movie around it. This is where (most) horror films today fail. They slap gore on top of gore and combine it with rushed development, shitty acting, a terrible script, and the creativity of a lead weight.