PDA

View Full Version : Help me! I don’t want to be a midcard wrestler for the rest of my career.

TheMadThinker
02-17-2011, 01:14 AM
This is all speculation so take it any way you want. Rumors have been going around that Jack Swagger, Ted DiBase Jr. and Sheamus for whatever reason are in the doghouse with WWE management. Swagger and Sheamus have already been world champions, but it appears their stars are starting to fizzle out. Ted has been paired up with Maryse at it appears she is getting more of a push than him.

Who knows if the rumors are true or not, but you can watch WWE programming and see that nothing substantial is being done with these guys right now. My questions are:

1. Do these guys have the “it factor” and deserve to get pushed in the first place?

2. Do you think any of these guys need to have a different gimmick?

3. What established star would you put them in a program with to help them get over?

4. Do you think Swagger and Sheamus early title runs did more damage to their careers than good?

rko619
02-17-2011, 02:46 AM
4 for swagger and sheamus is just passing by time till haiches return and as far as dibiase goes he has been eaten up by wwe without legasy which is a shame

Tommy Thunder
02-17-2011, 03:01 AM
It would be a real shame if WWE dropped Swagger. He's exceptionally talented, and has the skill to be a top wrestler in the company. What he does lack though is charisma. The guy is boring, and doesn't have any character. Until he discovers some charisma, he'll never make it to the top in WWE. As for Sheamus, I think it's just a passing phase. The guy obviously has talent, and is already a 2 time WWE champ, they're just waiting for HHH to return until he has his next big storyline. Ted Di-Biase like Swagger has the skills, but lacks the charisma. He is getting a bit better though. I have heard that he's getting a push during the next year though.

Trips88
02-17-2011, 03:27 AM
I think they all are talented but they may be "fizzling" out. Shamus needs a new opponent ASAP if he wants to stay afloat. If they put him back in with HHH right before Mania he's gonna loose and drop further into obscurity. As much as I hate to say it even a feud with Mark Henry would be better for him right now at this point in the year. As for Swagger, I don't know what they have in store for him. He has talent but he's not really being used. I wouldn't mind seeing him face ADR or even Barret down the line. I have no idea what they are gonna do with Jr. He's in better shape than his old man was but that's about it. He's got ability but he can't cut a promo to save his life. I would have thought that he would have tried to pick up a few things from Orton but I guess that never happened.

TheMadThinker
02-17-2011, 03:27 AM
I think Swagger is one of the most gifted athletes WWE has had in a long time especially for a man his size. Unfortunately, I do not ever see WWE using him right. Sometimes I think he should cut his losses and go MMA. With his wrestling background and some training in striking I bet he would be a real monster in the octagon.

Trips88
02-17-2011, 03:35 AM
I think Swagger is one of the most gifted athletes WWE has had in a long time especially for a man his size. Unfortunately, I do not ever see WWE using him right. Sometimes I think he should cut his losses and go MMA. With his wrestling background and some training in striking I bet he would be a real monster in the octagon.

I don't know about all that. He doesn't really strike me as the fighter type.

North Vegas Benny
02-17-2011, 03:45 AM
Swagger should just go to MMA he is a phenominal wrestler but as everybody is saying he doesnt have that "it" factor to get him over in pro-wresling no matter who you put him with to boost his appeal. I myself would be more likely to watch and get behind him if he was in the Ultimate Fighter rather than in a wrestling ring. Plus how awesome would it be if he was in the next U.F. season and landed on Lesnars team. (Yes I know the season is already being filmed and it is too late for that to happen but a man can dream.)

TheMadThinker
02-17-2011, 03:58 AM
I don't know about all that. He doesn't really strike me as the fighter type.

Many guys in the MMA do not look like "the fighter type." If you crossed these guys in a bar or somewhere you would not know who you were dealing with until you regained consciousness and started counting how many of your teeth were on the floor.

Saiga
02-17-2011, 04:01 AM
i wanna see jack swagger get the treatment if u ever got a kurt angle push. his matches with christian, matt hardy, edge & chris jericho were very good. i'd rather would have seen him in The Corre (no Ezekiel).

captainmoonlight
02-17-2011, 04:29 AM
Out of all the new wrestlers in the last few years these three are actually at the top of my like list. I don't think any of them are doing anything wrong at all, its how they are being used. Remember dibease match with Orion where he was trying not to retaliate, that was gold. Swagger is a cocky heel and as far as ability he is second to none, I feel like they've just changed sheamus lately, why give him kotr if he's just gonna wonder round the mid table waiting for triple h. These three plus morrison are head and shoulders about everyone else around the mid card, even kofi is getting some good tv time, id rather watch paint dry than him

Trips88
02-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Many guys in the MMA do not look like "the fighter type." If you crossed these guys in a bar or somewhere you would not know who you were dealing with until you regained consciousness and started counting how many of your teeth were on the floor.

This is true. I mean just look at Forrest. That's a big happy monkey lookin som'bitch but he just killed it a few weeks ago.

The Brown One
02-17-2011, 04:37 AM
This is all speculation so take it any way you want. Rumors have been going around that Jack Swagger, Ted DiBase Jr. and Jack Swagger for whatever reason are in the doghouse with WWE management. Swagger and Sheamus have already been world champions, but it appears their stars are starting to fizzle out. Ted has been paired up with Maryse at it appears she is getting more of a push than him.

Who knows if the rumors are true or not, but you can watch WWE programming and see that nothing substantial is being done with these guys right now. My questions are:

1. Do these guys have the “it factor” and deserve to get pushed in the first place?

3. What established star would you put them in a program with to help them get over?

4. Do you think Swagger and Sheamus early title runs did more damage to their careers than good?

I think I know why those guys are in the "doghouse" with WWE management. They probably lashed out, or don't perform as charismatically as WWE wants them to. This maybe because they feel that they are being misused, and therefore shouldn't be trying to impress management, because they aren't taking them seriously.

1) Both men have the "it factor", and can do great things with their respective gimmicks, if pushed correctly again. Ted can live off his "Million Dollar Son" gimmick, and being a 2nd, or 3rd generation wrestler, and having a legacy. Swagger can bring up the fact that he was an accomplished amateur wrestler in college, and his "numerous achievements". Also, I feel that he is a good technical wrestler, and could introduce more submissions into his character.

2) Maybe Ted can stop relying on his father's money, and just say that he wants to be as great as his father(face), or even better than his father was(heel). Swagger seems to be fine with me.

3) For Ted, I'd actually put him into a programme with Daniel Bryan again, so that he would win his first singles title, on his own, instead of getting a handmedown from his father. The feud with R-Truth could have been good, but they screwed that up. They could have billed it as: The man who was given everything(Ted Dibiase) vs the man who worked for everything he has(R-Truth). For Swagger, I would put him into a feud with Kofi, because I like the 2 different styles they show in the ring together. They always have great matches too.

4) The way that things turned out right now, yes. Ted was thrusted into a tagteam with Cody, and Cody turned on Holly during their tagteam match. That made it seem that Holly needed 2 people to beat him down to win the world tag team championships, thus making Ted look weak. Swagger's MITB win came really early too, and he talked too much during his reign. Sure he had alot of airtime, which a champion should get, but his promos just winded on and on, in that monotone voice, like Randy Ortons.

Side note: You said Jack Swagger twice in your post.

TheMadThinker
02-17-2011, 04:52 AM
I think I know why those guys are in the "doghouse" with WWE management. They probably lashed out, or don't perform as charismatically as WWE wants them to. This maybe because they feel that they are being misused, and therefore shouldn't be trying to impress management, because they aren't taking them seriously.

1) Both men have the "it factor", and can do great things with their respective gimmicks, if pushed correctly again. Ted can live off his "Million Dollar Son" gimmick, and being a 2nd, or 3rd generation wrestler, and having a legacy. Swagger can bring up the fact that he was an accomplished amateur wrestler in college, and his "numerous achievements". Also, I feel that he is a good technical wrestler, and could introduce more submissions into his character.

2) Maybe Ted can stop relying on his father's money, and just say that he wants to be as great as his father(face), or even better than his father was(heel). Swagger seems to be fine with me.

3) For Ted, I'd actually put him into a programme with Daniel Bryan again, so that he would win his first singles title, on his own, instead of getting a handmedown from his father. The feud with R-Truth could have been good, but they screwed that up. They could have billed it as: The man who was given everything(Ted Dibiase) vs the man who worked for everything he has(R-Truth). For Swagger, I would put him into a feud with Kofi, because I like the 2 different styles they show in the ring together. They always have great matches too.

4) The way that things turned out right now, yes. Ted was thrusted into a tagteam with Cody, and Cody turned on Holly during their tagteam match. That made it seem that Holly needed 2 people to beat him down to win the world tag team championships, thus making Ted look weak. Swagger's MITB win came really early too, and he talked too much during his reign. Sure he had alot of airtime, which a champion should get, but his promos just winded on and on, in that monotone voice, like Randy Ortons.
Side note: You said Jack Swagger twice in your post.

WWE really screwed Swagger when he was champion. In the years I have watched wrestling never have I seen a champion have to job to so many people. It seems like he was jobbing every week on Smackdown. It was almost impossible for him to look credible after weeks of that.

Thanks for the side note, I made an edit. I meant to say Sheamus.

Trips88
02-17-2011, 04:56 AM
I agree, Swagger didn't really get proper treatment.

The Brown One
02-17-2011, 05:10 AM
WWE really screwed Swagger when he was champion. In the years I have watched wrestling never have I seen a champion have to job to so many people. It seems like he was jobbing every week on Smackdown. It was almost impossible for him to look credible after weeks of that.

Thanks for the side note, I made an edit. I meant to say Sheamus.

Sheamus? Oh lol please don't tell me I have to write a long detailed post about him too xD

HeelTurn
02-17-2011, 07:44 AM
Sheamus will be ok, yeah hes not doing much at the moment but he did have some good matches with JoMo. The fact they gave him the KotR shows they must still have some faith in him, give him time and he will be champ again. A face turn may help.

Swagger was pushed out of nowhere, his reign started well, he beat the likes of Edge, Orton and Jericho, but then they lost faith in him and burried and him and now where is he? Maybe he will be pushed back to the top, he can definetly wrestle, plus his ankle lock was made to look bad ass. Maybe after the Corre and Nexus have disbanded he could lead a heel group of All American Americans which look down on other Americans who arent as great as he is.

Dibiase maybe needs a gimmick change, they could say his father has taken back his trust fund so he is "poor" and has to essentially be the Virgil to another superstar (Del Rio?) before he eventually turns on him.

Anyrysm
02-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Swagger:
-His MITB push did come way too soon b/c they made him a champion before they established a character to latch onto. Also, they need to get away from this amateur wrestling, All-American-American gimmick; it comes off as a poor man's Kurt Angle and as good as Swagger could be, he'll never be Kurt Angle. I'd personally like to see him get into a #1 contender's rivalry with Wade Barret, I think that could be good.

Sheamus:
-He also received his push too soon, but his problem as that he was billed as this unstoppable force, and yet the last time he cleanly won a match was against Jamie Noble. It hurts the credibility of the character when you win the title a) when Cena slips and falls through a table and b) when Nexus interferes in your match. I think they should put Sheamus on a losing streak and turn him face much like they did with MVP. I think that could help him a lot and help him reestablish dominance without needing to job to anyone down the road.

Dibiase:
-I like him the best of the three. He should go to smackdown and get into a feud with Cody Rhodes over the Intercontinental Championship (Cody has to win it from Kofi obviously). I think a feud like that could go a long way in helping both men's careers.

Rich Cranium
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Sheamus:
-He also received his push too soon, but his problem as that he was billed as this unstoppable force, and yet the last time he cleanly won a match was against Jamie Noble. It hurts the credibility of the character when you win the title a) when Cena slips and falls through a table and b) when Nexus interferes in your match. I think they should put Sheamus on a losing streak and turn him face much like they did with MVP. I think that could help him a lot and help him reestablish dominance without needing to job to anyone down the road.

Sounds like Sheamus and Swagger are getting similar treament as in both former champs and now are in mid card hell! Why?

Tommy Thunder
02-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Sounds like Sheamus and Swagger are getting similar treament as in both former champs and now are in mid card hell! Why?

Wouldn't say that Sheamus is in mid-card hell. He's still in and around the main event scene, unlike Swagger.

Draven
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
They put the tite on Sheamus too early, and his king gimmick is lame. But he can recover from this with proper handling.

Ted is misused, which is sad.

Swagger is lame, glad they buried him. Never should have put the strap on him in the first place. In ring talent alone is not enough. (I'm looking at you John Morrison)

Iron Ape
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Ted DiBiase has about as much flavor to him as a communion wafer. As far as I'm concerned, they're doing everyone a solid by not pushing his blandness down everyone's throats.

If it weren't for him being the son of The Million Dollar Man, that white-bread sandwich never would have even been brought on to the main roster.

Bodom
02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Ted DiBiase has about as much flavor to him as a communion wafer. As far as I'm concerned, they're doing everyone a solid by not pushing his blandness down everyone's throats.

If it weren't for him being the son of The Million Dollar Man, that white-bread sandwich never would have even been brought on to the main roster.

He had so much promise.

*sigh*

Iron Ape
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
He has so much promise.

*sigh*
Athletically? I don't know, man. I've seen most of the kid's in-ring stuff, and I haven't really caught any glimpses of there being something to really invest in there. He's okay, sure. In my eyes, though, the only thing truly working in his favor is his heritage. Past that, he's a dime a dozen.

Bodom
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Athletically? I don't know, man. I've seen most of the kid's in-ring stuff, and I haven't really caught any glimpses of there being something to really invest in there. He's okay, sure. In my eyes, though, the only thing truly working in his favor is his heritage. Past that, he's a dime a dozen.

Typo, meant "had".

I still believe he has some talent, but it'll take a lot of work to bring it back out. The almost had it toward the end of Legacy and they've completely destroyed what little credibility he had with this failed "Million Dollar Brat" gimmick.

It's depressing actually.

Iron Ape
02-17-2011, 04:49 PM
Typo, meant "had".

I still believe he has some talent, but it'll take a lot of work to bring it back out. The almost had it toward the end of Legacy and they've completely destroyed what little credibility he had with this failed "Million Dollar Brat" gimmick.

It's depressing actually.
Yeah, I actually totally agree with you. Towards the end of Legacy's run, I was really beginning to think that there might be something there. Now I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that he's probably peaked.

What's really weird is that for most of the run with Legacy, I never had Cody Rhodes pegged to be the one with breakout potential. Now I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, and I seriously kind of think that the sky's the limit for that kid.

Bodom
02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I actually totally agree with you. Towards the end of Legacy's run, I was really beginning to think that there might be something there. Now I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that he's probably peaked.

What's really weird is that for most of the run with Legacy, I never had Cody Rhodes pegged to be the one with breakout potential. Now I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, and I seriously kind of think that the sky's the limit for that kid.

Agree completely on Cody.

Cody is one of the few that not only has "it", but also "get's it". You can really tell that he has an understanding of the business.

HeelTurn
02-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Good to see others agreeing about "The Dashing One", after being lumbered with waste of space Hardcore Holly I would never have seen him hold a World title, but now in a year or 2 its completely possible.

Rich Cranium
02-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Agree completely on Cody.

Cody is one of the few that not only has "it", but also "get's it". You can really tell that he has an understanding of the business.

And it's cool that he's not a remake of 'The Dream' nor Goldust! Perhaps that is where they failed with the 25 cent man Ted!

ed is dead
02-17-2011, 07:23 PM
sheamus's gonna be fine, i mean, he's only been in the wwe for two years and is already a two time world champion, he might've been pushed too early but he's already proven to be a reliable main eventer. it's a shame about jack swagger, but it's been talked to death about how he was horribly misused as world champion, makes you wish he'd never won it in the first place. i really liked ted dibiase at first, he seemed destined to be a great heel but he got paired with randy orton and just basically spent a year as orton's stooge along with cody rhodes. a critical year both cody and ted could've used to develop their persona but all we got was boring ass orton and his faithful stooges for a year. surprisingly enough, cody rhodes recuperated fast and ended being the breakout star out of the whole legacy debacle.

SaberToothTigerz
02-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Jakc swagger lacks charisma and mic time, but he is 6'6 a perfect height for vince's liking and has a great wrestling background which in wwe doesnt matter much however..he is a former mitb winner and world heavyweight champion, he had awesome feuds but i think its just a disgrace what they are doing with him, does he has the it factor? maybe
For sheamus, he defenetly has it, sheamus a former 2 time wwe champ and current king of the ring certainly sheamus decent mic skills, untouched charisma looks and agression in the ring will continue to push him over way to the top, he is just stuck for a little while but he will be brought back up
Ted dibiase is looking good in the ring, but its a darn shame what they are doing to the guy, he is boring i agree so i think he needs a new gimmick perhaps.
Jack swagger resemblences kurt angle alot, maybe a new gimmick could work but i like swagger the way he is
sheamus gimmick is pure gold dont touch it lol
ted dibiase may need one however..
well jack swagger should feud with maybe edge, undertaker or kane ( face turn ) to get brought back up to the main event
sheamus could use the help of trips or orton or even cena what the hell? xD
ted dibiase first would need to score big against the likes of bryan and morrison to at least be in the upper midcard
poor dibiase is still in the low card with all the jobbers..
hmmm not to sheamus not at all looool
but to jack swagger that is questionable..did the early tittle run had too much effect?
i would go with yes it did, bcuz u see i think wwe creatives layed alot of faith in the guy from the get go and now look at him, he should first feud with other midcarders like kofi, christian ( when he was still healthy ) and maybe rey mysterio, slowly climbling up to the main eventers fighting for the number one contender spot and only then feud with the current champ
and another thing is the mitb winner whoever he is, always tends to attack when the champ is bruised up badly after a match ( unlike how kane did to rey ) but my point is the guys who won mitb "edge ( heel ) cm punk, miz and jack awaggers) tittle captures all made them seem weak at the beggining..

WWTNA Mark
02-17-2011, 11:42 PM
I wonder what they have done to get booked terribly. I remember when these wrestlers were supposed to be a big deal in the future but now look at them. Ted Dibiase is playing the background behind Maryse, Jack Swagger is jobbing to Rey Mysterio and Kofi Kingston on Smackdown, and Shameus is in a little feud with MARK HENRY of all people. TBH, its not a good thing to stop them from being pushed when they need to establish there roster ASAP.

THE_CRIPPLER
02-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Swagger is amazing, when he was Champ i was so excited to watch SD.... he made Wrestling alot better has Champion and has so much in Ring TRalent, Has good mic work and he has the IT factor, I like Swagger i think he can have a great match with just about anyone and he is very inovative... i dont like him doing the Ankle lock, he goes for it way to much and it makes him look like a Angle rip off.

Sheamus Has come along way in the last Year since he first held the Title, He can do anything, Comedy, He can be a big brutal Bully, He can be a threatening Mosnter, He has the goods in the ring to make a great match, Impressive and intense Move set, Great Mic work and Good persona....... have No Clue why he was pushed tthe moon when he was a Green Nobody but now that he really came in to his own WWE Pushes him down.... WWE never makes sence to me with there pushing.

Ted Jr is lacking in in Ring skills, he is in Excellent shape but his in Ring work isnt so great and his move set is stupid..... Dream Street? really?.... Ted Diabise could be a great wrestler and a big Superstar some day but he isnt even close to it now.

ShockMaster
02-18-2011, 09:41 AM
IMO to put sheamus over they should have HHH manage sheamus (idk how but they got a month to work that fued into an alliance) and have him take on undertaker. He'd lose but he'd have a wrestlemania moment, or fuck it have sheamus win or something.

THEKEVINBRAND
02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
why would they drop sheamus to mid-card? he's HHH's favorite and got a push as a favor for the next chairman