PDA

View Full Version : Jericho's thoughts on UFC

WWTNA Mark
02-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Chris Jericho posted the following last night on Twitter:

"Ok guess I'm the only "old school pro wrestler" to say it...screw UFC fighters. U could NEVER do what me and my brothers do."

Jericho is my favorite wrestler of all time but I really don't agree with this statement.

Thoughts?

PandaMassacre
02-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I think he was referring to the hectic schedule that Wrestlers have. They are in the ring week after week flipping their bodies around an taking shots to limbs that would usually leave an average an unexperienced man paralyzed with soreness, as with UFC they get to have breaks in-between bouts. I never followed UFC, but there is some truth to what Chris Jericho said. Question is, what provoked him to say it?

SaberToothTigerz
02-06-2011, 03:50 PM
whatever jericho says or does is all for the well being and balence of the world
if ufc guys suck in the words of jericho
then they do suck and we have to accept that :D

Iron Ape
02-06-2011, 03:50 PM
This would be like Joaquin Phoenix saying, "Johnny Cash could never do what I do!" Well, yeah, no shit. Johnny was a real live musician, and Joaquin just played one in a movie.

*For the record, Joaquin Phoenix never said anything like this.

Iron Ape
02-06-2011, 03:52 PM
I think he was referring to the hectic schedule that Wrestlers have. They are in the ring week after week flipping their bodies around an taking shots to limbs that would usually leave an average an unexperienced man paralyzed with soreness, as with UFC they get to have breaks in-between bouts. I never followed UFC, but there is some truth to what Chris Jericho said. Question is, what provoked him to say it?
Day-in, day-out MMA training is every bit as grueling as what pro-wrestlers go through. To suggest otherwise would be completely foolish.

Robstar
02-06-2011, 04:23 PM

That's what I was thinking. It's no secret that Jericho likes a few beers so maybe that had something to do with it, arguing with his buddies. It's very unlike Chris, I think, to disrespect MMA completely out of the blue. At least we know he's one person who won't claim to have had his account hacked.

WWTNA Mark
02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Day-in, day-out MMA training is every bit as grueling as what pro-wrestlers go through. To suggest otherwise would be completely foolish.

Exactly. Both sports take a toal on your body but MMA takes alot more punishment to your body imo.

Rich Cranium
02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
I created a similar thread in the MMA section so mods, please close.

Rich Cranium
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Our faithful savior Bodom, has closed the uneeded thread!

WWTNA Mark
02-06-2011, 04:38 PM
That's what I was thinking. It's no secret that Jericho likes a few beers so maybe that had something to do with it, arguing with his buddies. It's very unlike Chris, I think, to disrespect MMA completely out of the blue. At least we know he's one person who won't claim to have had his account hacked.

Yeah, I guess he was just having a debate with his buds on which sport is more physical. Maybe he just doesn't like how people say that MMA is way better and physical then wrestling.

Rich Cranium
02-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I guess he was just having a debate with his buds on which sport is more physical. Maybe he just doesn't like how people say that MMA is way better and physical then wrestling.

That's the thing you gotta realize when your famous, you are under a big brother microscope!

Lance Storm
02-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Totally agree.

The Brown One
02-06-2011, 04:58 PM
That's the thing you gotta realize when your famous, you are under a big brother microscope!

Its Jericho! He can come up with something realistic and smart to talk his way out of trouble ;P

Hesterica
02-06-2011, 07:09 PM

He saw Kimbo Slice training to be a wrestler...

steveorton
02-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Save_us..........3rd coming.....................Y...................... ............2..........................J, I'm jus sayin...

THE_CRIPPLER
02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Heres what i got to say..... Brock Lesnar Wrestlings top talent at the time goes to UFC and instantly becomes World champ and easily there biggest star....... Lashly a upcomming wrestling star had good success in The WWE. Goes to MMA and does a very good job for himself for a guy just starting out.

Point is wrestlers Dominate in MMA and MMA guys cant handle being a pro Wrestler......... Brock lesnar said point blank that UFC is not as tough on his body as the WWE was.

UFC guys are not the same draw as WWE guys, Brock Lesnar broke box office records on his WWE name.

If Chuck liddel was in WrestleMania woudl the buy rates change? noo probably not.

If Undertaker was in a UFC PPV it would break UFC box office records.

UFC like football is a legit sport, and it is on PPV, guys feel more comfortable ordering it then WWE cause WWE is fake....
But if UFC was on 4 hours a week and a ppv every month then there ratings wouldnt be as high as WWE's cause they woudl expose there talent.

ProWrestlingFan
02-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Jericho is my 2nd fav of all time,but what he said is straight up stupid.I am calling what it is.If it was matt hardy,hogan,or even cena, you nerds would be all over them.Yes jericho is GREAT!!,but saying UFC is not has hardcore as wrestling?LOL WHAT A JOKE(I love wrestling way more then UFC I watch both)Yes what Pro wrestlers do does hurt the bumps,hits,and schedule is rlly bad,but UFC is real.Marks stop kissing jerichos butt and be up front about it.

Necroyeti
02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Jericho tweeted something? Yawn.

Robstar
02-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Heres what i got to say..... Brock Lesnar Wrestlings top talent at the time goes to UFC and instantly becomes World champ and easily there biggest star....... Lashly a upcomming wrestling star had good success in The WWE. Goes to MMA and does a very good job for himself for a guy just starting out.

Point is wrestlers Dominate in MMA and MMA guys cant handle being a pro Wrestler......... Brock lesnar said point blank that UFC is not as tough on his body as the WWE was.

UFC guys are not the same draw as WWE guys, Brock Lesnar broke box office records on his WWE name.

If Chuck liddel was in WrestleMania woudl the buy rates change? noo probably not.

If Undertaker was in a UFC PPV it would break UFC box office records.

UFC like football is a legit sport, and it is on PPV, guys feel more comfortable ordering it then WWE cause WWE is fake....
But if UFC was on 4 hours a week and a ppv every month then there ratings wouldnt be as high as WWE's cause they woudl expose there talent.

I think you're missing the point that in MMA, it's do or die. There's noone making the decisions to sustain your push - which Brock did get in UFC because he already had noteriety - but if he failed miserably, that's it your career is over before it's started. Because of the not-so-realism of wrestling you can be on the scene for literally years before you break through. But the major difference is this - in wrestling the bumps are trained for and therefore taken (mostly & hopefully) as lightly or as well as possible, the punches to the head are faked and you don't really get your ankle/knee/arm etc messed up by a lock.

In MMA, you do.

Do ya really think that wrestlers could or would be allowed to perform night in night out, week in week out if the actual hits were tougher? No. Is there are much larger accumulative effect on wrestlers? Ask Chuck Liddell - who's no longer allowed to compete anymore against doctor's instructions.

The whole idea of arguing one against the other is ridiculous. They are 2 very different beasts. One is tv. The other is sport. get it right in your head

HolyJose2391
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
haha I saw that Jericho then tweeted "Drunkicho strikes again" but ya I don't agree. MMA is a tough sport and anything can happen in professional wrestling you practice the match before hand in order to get the right feel unlike in MMA but I do agree is that pro wrestling does it more often but again that's because of the scripted stuff unlike MMA which is unscripted

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Respect to both MMA and Pro Wrestling. While real is tougher than fake, fake 250 to 300 nights a year plus travel is tougher than real three times a year even with training worked it. Pro wrestlers gotta train too.

The Brown One
02-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Respect to both MMA and Pro Wrestling. While real is tougher than fake, fake 250 to 300 nights a year plus travel is tougher than real three times a year even with training worked it. Pro wrestlers gotta train too.

This. Theres reason to bash both products, but both should also get respect. People say that anyone stupid can get into those "sports", but in reality it takes a hell of alot of talent and determination to do what those athletes do night in and night out.

Justdawg08
02-07-2011, 02:26 AM
People in the UFC don't fall off of 20 foot ladders....

Someone said the UFC Training is just as hectic... well you think the WWE wrestlers dont have to train their bodies as well? Then go out and perform the majority of days in a week?

Sinliner
02-07-2011, 04:48 AM
UFC and wwe are way to differant to compare. Everyone here can convince themselves one or the other is better/harder but keep in mind your gonna have a hard time convincing anyone else. TBH i dont even think Jericho (or drunkicho as the case may be) was being serious, how would jericho know if WWE is harder than UFC/MMA? im sure he was just stirring the pot.

Mikeyboy7777777
02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
in wrestling you need to be accepted with the politics and you maybe have to wrestle a BIGGER athlete much bigger and the promos man the promos and the humor jericho is right every single word :D

hey you guys(and girls)
02-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I watch both and respect both sets of athletes as you train your butt off and get to a level where a company trusts you to bring in the money and put on one hell of a show.Y2J was a happy alcohol effected Jericho thats all.Still the best at what he does wrestling smackdowns,awesome promos or twitter and if your not down with that i got too words for ya switch off

nrb6304
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I used to train (professional wrestling) in an MMA gym. And to be honest, just about everytime any of the other guys I trained with got chopped, or took a bump or etc. just about all the MMA guys looked at us.
I used to drive to the gym with my best friend as he wanted to be an MMA fighter.
I would be soaking wet in the car while he, he was sweating but not nearly as bad.
He would only go to the gym twice a week (mon and wed) because his trainer gave his students tuesday off to rest.
I went to the gym Mon-Thursday.

I respect the fuck out of UFC fighters, cuz I LOVE UFC, but I agree with Y2J, they can't do what professional wrestlers do

thedominator92
02-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Both take athleticism, but wrestling is entertainment. nothing more or less

mma is an actual sport.

none the less i enjoy both.

Robstar
02-08-2011, 02:38 AM

Called it! Yay for me!

THE_CRIPPLER
02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I think you're missing the point that in MMA, it's do or die. There's noone making the decisions to sustain your push - which Brock did get in UFC because he already had noteriety - but if he failed miserably, that's it your career is over before it's started. Because of the not-so-realism of wrestling you can be on the scene for literally years before you break through. But the major difference is this - in wrestling the bumps are trained for and therefore taken (mostly & hopefully) as lightly or as well as possible, the punches to the head are faked and you don't really get your ankle/knee/arm etc messed up by a lock.

In MMA, you do.

Do ya really think that wrestlers could or would be allowed to perform night in night out, week in week out if the actual hits were tougher? No. Is there are much larger accumulative effect on wrestlers? Ask Chuck Liddell - who's no longer allowed to compete anymore against doctor's instructions.

The whole idea of arguing one against the other is ridiculous. They are 2 very different beasts. One is tv. The other is sport. get it right in your head

Listen there is people that get more of a push in UFC not cause of talent cause of Box office.... Lesnar got a title match when his record in UFC was 1-1.... Shawn Carwin had to be undefeated for a long time and go up the ranks..... Kimbo Slice was the main attraction of a entire MMA federation and he was terrible, and the other fighters addmitted people told them how to fight (dont go on the fllor cause it make Kimbo look bad caus ehe cant wrestle)..... so no talent doesnt always rise in MMA....

ITs like Franks Shamrock said, Wrestler do what we do but they just work alot harder.... if i was in a real fight one punch, or a nice submssion would end it quick.... in a wrestling match, you have to fall 40 times, and land on your neck here and recieve 40 stff shots..... you have no control of how fast the match ends or how many bumps you take....... i been in real fights and i trianed a lil in prowrestling (very minnimal) and Wrestling is a hell of alot harder... Endurance wise, strain on body wise and pain wise