PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk - Wrestling's Best Villain!

Rich Cranium
02-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Jim Ross recently said CM Punk was wrestling's best villain in which Punk responded:

"When somebody I respect offers me glowing compliments, it's better than any payday. Harley Race, Pat Patterson, Blackjack Lanza and now Jim Ross say I'm the best villain? Who am I to argue?"

I absolutely agree with this, you?

THEKEVINBRAND
02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Of course, this is the first time I've watched a wrestler that I loved to hate (so to speak) since Triple H's Evolution days.

TheMadThinker
02-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Punk is a great heel. It seems to me that the audience often wants to cheer him even though he is portraying a despicable villain. WWE brass would probably disagree but I see that as a good thing.

WWE should stand behind him as a credible heel and not make him appear cowardly in the face of the Cena's and Orton's of the world. I know it is all part of the illusion of wrestling, but it is not always necessary to portray the heel as cowardly. It seems to me back in the day it was OK to portray the heel as a dangerous madman who needs to be stopped. To me this is more in line as to how they should portray Punk.

xCOPELANDx sXe
02-05-2011, 05:05 PM
CM Punk is quite honestly the only person who at this moment in time is able to go out into the arena, stand in front of the crowd and literally, make them hate him. It's been aknowledged by legends like JR and even smarks agree.
I think the reason Punk is so good is the fact that he's been a heel for most of his wrestling career, he always played a cocky, sarcastic heel in the indies and is now playing a heel in WWE after a 2-3 year face run. I think even though it'd be nice to see CM Punk come back to being a face at some point in the future but right now I love his heel run and think there's so much more he could do, even if the New Nexus disbands and he goes alone. The only thing he needs is for WWE to stop having him get buried by the Supermen of WWE such as John Cena and Randy Orton, then he'll be perfect!

Mongo
02-05-2011, 05:16 PM
I've not enjoyed a heel this much since Mr Perfect.

6maximum6carnage6
02-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Punk is a great heel. It seems to me that the audience often wants to cheer him even though he is portraying a despicable villain. WWE brass would probably disagree but I see that as a good thing.

WWE should stand behind him as a credible heel and not make him appear cowardly in the face of the Cena's and Orton's of the world. I know it is all part of the illusion of wrestling, but it is not always necessary to portray the heel as cowardly. It seems to me back in the day it was OK to portray the heel as a dangerous madman who needs to be stopped. To me this is more in line as to how they should portray Punk.

100% agree! Heels should not always be portrayed as cowards. that is the only thing in any wrestling fed today that bugs me. except Roh. i would love to see wwe or tna make their villains a little less cowardly and more of a dangerous heel or even a cocky heel.

WWTNA Mark
02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
100% agree! Heels should not always be portrayed as cowards. that is the only thing in any wrestling fed today that bugs me. except Roh. i would love to see wwe or tna make their villains a little less cowardly and more of a dangerous heel or even a cocky heel.

With wrestlers like John Cena, Randy Orton, and Rey Mysterio, do you really think thats happening?

TheMadThinker
02-05-2011, 05:38 PM
With wrestlers like John Cena, Randy Orton, and Rey Mysterio, do you really think thats happening?

No, it is definitely not happening. The original point I was trying to make is that WWE usually portrays their heels as cowardly and I do not think it is always necessary.

The cowardly heel gimmick works well for a guy like the Miz, but to make guys like Sheamus, Wade Barret, and CM Punk cowardly just does not make sense to me.

Lance Storm
02-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Following CM Punk for years as I have, he is one of those wrestlers that come along once in a blue moon, that are just naturally talented in all aspects of wrestling. He is an awesome heel, the way a heel should be. Watch ROH "Death Before Dishonor III" aka his fake last match in ROH. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand, major face, chanting his name, hammering the tin guardrails to the beat of "Miseria Cantare," he finally wins the ROH Title, crowds going fucking crazy, then Punk unleashes the great post-match interview where within the span of 15 seconds, goes from super face, to ultimate heel. That is what makes CM Punk the best in the business.

TocSin XXVII
02-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I think I know why CM Punk shows he is the best heel. He has a lot of the characteristics of the anti superhero. He isn't the biggest but diffidently smarter than the superhero. Unfortunately, the hero wins most of the time.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Of course the IWC is going to agree with JR. In their eye's CM punk can do no wrong. I enjoy CM punk as well and he deserves all the credit in the world for making such a huge impact in pro rasslin. I'm a pretty spiritual dude and some of the savior stuff is somewhat sacrilege to me especially when he holds his arms out like Jesus did on the cross but I digress that's just my opinion. Dont get me wrong I know what he's doing and the fact it somewhat irks me just goes to show how great he really is at being a heel.

on a side note no need to post your feelings on the subject I just brought up, its a slippery slope and I already pray for enough people already (including you) so just read what I wrote and move on, thanks for understanding.

The Brown One
02-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Its true that the hero wins the majority of the time, but its not the ending, its the journey. I've been enjoying Punk right now, and will continue to, until Cena finally beats him. He is one of the only guys who doesn't have to say a word, and he gets heat like not many others can, alongside Vickie. What JR said definitely had truth to it, and when it comes from JR, its a honor.

TheMadThinker
02-05-2011, 06:05 PM
IPEEINTHESHOWER prays for our souls? Insert HOLY SH!T chant here please.

Krysys
02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Honestly, Punk is probably the best at just about everything, I personally get a creepy Charles Manson vibe at times with him

Saiga
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
i would love to see an verbal interaction exchange with cm punk and chris jericho's most latest heel run. that would be gold.

The Brown One
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
IPEEINTHESHOWER prays for our souls? Insert HOLY SH!T chant here please.

Don't rip on IPITS for being religious.

Rich Cranium
02-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Honestly, Punk is probably the best at just about everything, I personally get a creepy Charles Manson vibe at times with him

Bold part: Jericho hold this title!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks my Brown Friend. I just think TheMadThinker is a little upset because he is surrounded by corn fields all day long and well he is from Illinois where the state motto is----this state is a pile of shit, people talk shit eat shit and smell like shit.:D

U MAD???

Krysys
02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok let me rephrase that, the best currently in the WWE

Mr. McMahon
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
best villain currently, sure. But not the best villain of all time. I don't really hate punk, maybe its cause I'm a smart fan or probably just don't find him a good heel, probably cause I don't care about the face he is destroying (cena).

I think Austin and HHH were much better heels than Punk, even Cena. Don't mind much charm about CM Punk, doesn't matter if he is heel, Cena had lot of charm when he was heel. Maybe its cause WWE has to keep it pg

Tommy Thunder
02-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Cm Punk is a fantastic villain in wrestling. And yes, he is good at pretty much everything. He's the one guy that comes somewhere close to Chris Jericho as 'the best in the world at what he does'.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Cm Punk is a fantastic villain in wrestling. And yes, he is good at pretty much everything. He's the one guy that comes somewhere close to Chris Jericho as 'the best in the world at what he does'.

That there is blasphemy. Jericho has been "the best in the world at what he does" for damn near 20 years. CM punk has a long time to go before I put him up on Jericho's http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHZYo3cGJfgQgu2-Nnq7jqKUMMl2_fhLLkNSIoQuBG4ZnXeb1s_w

TheMadThinker
02-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks my Brown Friend. I just think TheMadThinker is a little upset because he is surrounded by corn fields all day long and well he is from Illinois where the state motto is----this state is a pile of shit, people talk shit eat shit and smell like shit.:D

U MAD???

With the exception of eating shit you are not far from the truth, but hey you have to live somewhere right. From your posts I just never viewed you as the spiritual type.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
With the exception of eating shit you are not far from the truth, but hey you have to live somewhere right. From your posts I just never viewed you as the spiritual type.

That's because I'm human and I have mental issues.;) Sometimes they they show up and I cant control them.:D

on a side note, don't worry I live in Ohio and well when I go to California they think my closest neighbors are cows.

TheMadThinker
02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
That's because I'm human and I have mental issues.;) Sometimes they they show up and I cant control them.:D

on a side note, don't worry I live in Ohio and well when I go to California they think my closest neighbors are cows.

Yeah, we should all just get along.

http://www.ifight365.com/wp-content/images/wwesatnightshot2.jpg

CobraNightviper
02-05-2011, 07:16 PM
No but what ever happened to the badass heel oh wait p.g happened.

captainmoonlight
02-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Some of this is wrong, In my opinion, he's.not cowardly but smart. As in he's not going to get into a fight he thinks he won't win, takin the hit from the new guy last week proves that

Murphdogg4
02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
What makes CM Punk so good is he had time to grow and learn his trade BEFORE coming to the WWE. If he would of came up in the WWE system he'd be another generic WWE sports entertainer. Instead the guy is the total package, not only is his character spot on but he's one of the few guys in the business that can still tell a story in the ring.

Sinliner
02-05-2011, 08:29 PM
I beleive that jr is correct cm punk entertains me the same way randy orton did at the start of 2009 when he went on his mcmahon destroying rampage

The Brown One
02-05-2011, 08:55 PM
best villain currently, sure. But not the best villain of all time. I don't really hate punk, maybe its cause I'm a smart fan or probably just don't find him a good heel, probably cause I don't care about the face he is destroying (cena).

I think Austin and HHH were much better heels than Punk, even Cena. Don't mind much charm about CM Punk, doesn't matter if he is heel, Cena had lot of charm when he was heel. Maybe its cause WWE has to keep it pg

Well Punk is doing quite well, for a limited array of topics to talk about in the PG era. He can say something on the spot, and it can be turned into a storyline. Thats really impressive. He doesn't need to resort to swearing, or distasteful jokes to get the crowd fired up, or angry.

Rich Cranium
02-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Well Punk is doing quite well, for a limited array of topics to talk about in the PG era. He can say something on the spot, and it can be turned into a storyline. Thats really impressive. He doesn't need to resort to swearing, or distasteful jokes to get the crowd fired up, or angry.

I've been ninja'd! - taps out -

Tommy Thunder
02-05-2011, 09:35 PM
That there is blasphemy. Jericho has been "the best in the world at what he does" for damn near 20 years. CM punk has a long time to go before I put him up on Jericho's http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHZYo3cGJfgQgu2-Nnq7jqKUMMl2_fhLLkNSIoQuBG4ZnXeb1s_w

But my good sir, I did not state that Punk is the best in the world at what he does, nor did I say he should replace Jericho. i only said he's the one guy who comes close. He's not at Jericho's level yet, but he's getting there.

furlaa
02-06-2011, 01:19 AM
He is the best Heel going around in th business, he has come to be a cult leader
the real Anti-Christ of pro-wrestling!

Zen Man
02-06-2011, 01:53 AM
Well you know you got your heel character right if wrestling fans legitimately want to hit you after the show. I've heard of both Chris Jericho and CM Punk getting into fan altercations over their character which pretty much means they're good enough to make people actually believe they're a real-life villain. People are idiots but its good signs for the wrestlers haha

tshizzy34
02-06-2011, 04:22 AM
There has to me only been a select few heels that were genuinely great heels. I think that Randy Orton did a great job back in his Legacy Days, and Chris Jericho is a great face but an even better heel. CM Punk seems to just relish his heel/villain role. He really likes to get into character and go out there week after week and live up to his "greatest villain" role like a champ. I hope he continues this for quite some time because as it was mentioned here earlier he is one of the only guys I can remember that seems to just on camera bask in the boos form the crowd, he just thrives on it and it seems to make him even more into and comfortable in his heel role and I for one love it. If Nexus disbands I too hope they keep him heel for awhile and maybe a few years later return him as a face or something depending on what role he was currently portraying.

shanethewolf
02-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Punk is a great heel, no doubt, but I think Randy Orton and Triple H were better.

That said, it was much easier for HHH to get over as a heel because he could beat his opponents to a bloody pulp, throw them on tacks, hit them with sledgehammers or run them over in cars etc. Orton got to do some of that too, whereas CM Punk can't be that same kind of brutal villain.

I liked Jericho as a heel, though I much preferred his character in WCW and his early WWF years than his recent run. I just don't buy him as a bad ass.

WWTNA Mark
02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Punk is a great heel, no doubt, but I think Randy Orton and Triple H were better.

That said, it was much easier for HHH to get over as a heel because he could beat his opponents to a bloody pulp, throw them on tacks, hit them with sledgehammers or run them over in cars etc. Orton got to do some of that too, whereas CM Punk can't be that same kind of brutal villain.

I liked Jericho as a heel, though I much preferred his character in WCW and his early WWF years than his recent run. I just don't buy him as a bad ass.

Yeah, saying that Punk is the best villain is a bit of a stretch. Besides, who is really going to boo CM Punk? He is like one of the best in the WWE. If anything, i'm cheering for him!

ELNIOJR
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
CM Punk is quite honestly the only person who at this moment in time is able to go out into the arena, stand in front of the crowd and literally, make them hate him. It's been aknowledged by legends like JR and even smarks

This is One of the (many) Reason why i LOVE CM Punk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AS0nau5AdQ

Rich Cranium
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
He is the best Heel going around in th business, he has come to be a cult leader
the real Anti-Christ of pro-wrestling!

Wouldn't it be great to see a Jericho vs. Punk 'King of Heels' promo!

Y2J doesn't need to impale people to be a heel. He just needs words!

Yeah, saying that Punk is the best villain is a bit of a stretch. Besides, who is really going to boo CM Punk? He is like one of the best in the WWE. If anything, i'm cheering for him!

People booed Stone Cold too when he was heel!