PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else think AJ's promo was the best thing TNA has done in recent memory?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Seriously...what he said had so much truth in it. I really liked what they did here for a change. You make all the guys who can actually wrestle/talk the main faces in the company against the main heels who NO ONE likes and everyone wants to see their asses kicked. I, for one, think that this was the most well done swerve in TNA history since Hogan/Bischoff regime took over, and you know why? Because it ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE!! If you were so great a talent like fortune is (especially AJ) you would be pissed that Hogan/Bischoff were hiring people who were significantly less talented than you to take your main event spot away. You would want to take back over "control" of the company that you made popular.

Besides, the TNA audience never really embraced Fortune as heels because they were too good in the ring and they knew they could put on a show. Not only that, but AJ works so much better as a face promo wise. He just has too much of a babyface look/moveset to be considered a great heel. Again, I personally think that this was AJ's best work ever on the mic and it was one of my favorite moments TNA has put together since Hogan/Bischoff took over.

What are your guy's thoughts on it though?

b7575
02-03-2011, 11:54 PM
I actually haven't liked what's been going on with the hogan-bischoff regime, but I thought this promo by aj styles was great. AJ wants to stop hogan and bischoff from running another company to the ground like they did to wcw. I think this will make a great storyline! Do you guys think this storyline is a good move from TNA?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-04-2011, 12:33 AM
I actually haven't liked what's been going on with the hogan-bischoff regime, but I thought this promo by aj styles was great. AJ wants to stop hogan and bischoff from running another company to the ground like they did to wcw. I think this will make a great storyline! Do you guys think this storyline is a good move from TNA?

Yeah I hate what Hogan/Bischoff have done with the company too, that's why it was great to have someone in the company (especially a pridefull guy like AJ) finally called them out on their b.s. publically. The line about Bischoff running WCW into the ground was absolutly brilliant imo. And yes I do think this will play itself out into a decent storyline. You have the the guys who can't wrestle who everyone hates vs. the guys who can wrestle and who everyone loves. Should bring in some decent ratings if (and it's a big if) they don't fuck it up.

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-04-2011, 12:35 AM
There's already a thread for this.

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. Sometimes I read post and laugh my ass off at how gullible some of you really are. I hate to burst xStraightxEdgexSaviorx bubble but this whole storyline was most likely Hogans and Bischoff idea from the start. Come on man, do your really think AJ came up with those lines all by himself? Bischoff loves controversy but most importantly he loves when he is in the spotlight. WCW didn't fold because of him, and anyone with half a brain knows this. AJ saying that was just cheap heat but it worked. Hogan and Bischoff aren't dumb, they want the original TNA guys to shine and now is there chance. Those two were brought in because of their star power and to generate buzz and they have. AJ is awesome and this was his best promo by far but without Hogan star power or Bischoff's brain he would always remain a great wrestler that only a select few would ever know. Now he is known worldwide.

b7575
02-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Please allow me to give my infinite wisdom on this matter. Sometimes I read post and laugh my ass off at how gullible some of you really are. I hate to burst xStraightxEdgexSaviorx bubble but this whole storyline was most likely Hogans and Bischoff idea from the start. Come on man, do your really think AJ came up with those lines all by himself? Bischoff loves controversy but most importantly he loves when he is in the spotlight. WCW didn't fold because of him, and anyone with half a brain knows this. AJ saying that was just cheap heat but it worked. Hogan and Bischoff aren't dumb, they want the original TNA guys to shine and now is there chance. Those two were brought in because of their star power and to generate buzz and they have. AJ is awesome and this was his best promo by far but without Hogan star power or Bischoff's brain he would always remain a great wrestler that only a select few would ever know. Now he is known worldwide.
I don't think Hogan and Bischoff put AJ Styles up to this as a storyline to have his faction Fortune feud with Immortal. Why would they put him up to it? Ever since the wcw days, hogan and bischoff always liked running things on their own and excluding other people. They wanted all the power to themselves. So why would they give AJ Styles some of the power?

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-04-2011, 01:00 AM
WCW didn't fold because of him.

Well it certainly didn't stay afloat because of him.

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-04-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think Hogan and Bischoff put AJ Styles up to this as a storyline to have his faction Fortune feud with Immortal. Why would they put him up to it? Ever since the wcw days, hogan and bischoff always liked running things on their own and excluding other people. They wanted all the power to themselves. So why would they give AJ Styles some of the power?

Lololololololololol

The Brown One
02-04-2011, 01:04 AM
I don't think Hogan/Bischoff planned to ruin wrestling storylines. It just happened because they put the spotlight on them too often, and thus less attention was given to the other wrestlers. We've seen enough of them.

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I believe it's always been the plan to have the heart and soul TNA guys come out on top in the end, but they still have and are continuing to hog the limelight. I think they had the idea to "make it real" by incorporating what's really happening in real life into the storylines, and I kind of like it. But when you're "making it real" and you heelishly take over the company and put on a shit product for 6 months and call it a "storyline" you need to come up with a different idea of how to do it. All I'm trying to say is if you can't do a "Run TNA into the ground" storyline without actually running TNA into the ground you should probably give it up and stay out of the biz.

The Brown One
02-04-2011, 01:14 AM
I believe it's always been the plan to have the heart and soul TNA guys come out on top in the end, but they still have and are continuing to hog the limelight. I think they had the idea to "make it real" by incorporating what's really happening in real life into the storylines, and I kind of like it. But when you're "making it real" and you heelishly take over the company and put on a shit product for 6 months and call it a "storyline" you need to come up with a different idea of how to do it. All I'm trying to say is if you can't do a "Run TNA into the ground" storyline without actually running TNA into the ground you should probably give it up and stay out of the biz.

Your not hoping for TNA's downfall are you? I wouldn't want that to happen to them.
Its good if they really had the whole thing planned out, and planned for the "good guys" to win in the end(which almost always happens), so I'm expecting the new "They" to beat Immortal.

Also, by Hogan/Bischoff getting the most airtime, and the "Taking over TNA" storyline, they haven't been getting high ratings. Its been the same stale product week after week. I hope that we don't get another stupid storyline by Hogan/Bischoff again.

b7575
02-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Your not hoping for TNA's downfall are you? I wouldn't want that to happen to them.
Its good if they really had the whole thing planned out, and planned for the "good guys" to win in the end(which almost always happens), so I'm expecting the new "They" to beat Immortal.

Also, by Hogan/Bischoff getting the most airtime, and the "Taking over TNA" storyline, they haven't been getting high ratings. Its been the same stale product week after week. I hope that we don't get another stupid storyline by Hogan/Bischoff again.
Hogan/Bischoff storylines are awesome, they're not so bad. Their storylines are the ones that made wcw the most popular wrestling promotion in 1996-1997 when they beat the wwf in ratings war for 84 weeks in a row! So tna going to higher from here.

THEKEVINBRAND
02-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Did anyone forget why Styles was paired up with Flair? Before Flair came to TNA, Styles couldn't work the mic and cut decent promos, now with the help of Ric Flair, his promos and the way he delivers them are 10x better IMO.

Rebel Lion
02-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Holy crap!!!! Sounds like someone (I'm looking at YOU b7575) still thinks 'rasslin is real!!! Of course Hogan and Bischoff are behind this....they are the catalyst for backstage affairs and storylines (hence the reason they were hired). I think this occured for 2 reasons. Firstly, I'm sure the brass at TNA hear the complaints from the IWC, and they have recognized the faults of the company since the new regime has taken over. Secondly, and most importantly, I think they were forced into this storyline by the defactions of Booker T., Kevin Nash & possibly Sting (fingers crossed!!). They were stuck having previously announced some big event, some emerging faction was coming on 2/3/11, and had to think on the fly as of what to do. Combine my first and second points, and you have what happened tonight. Book, Nash & Stinger might've unknowingly saved TNA by not coming back. I can almost guarantee that tonight was supposed to be the return of Main Event Mafia. Why do you think Angle, Steiner & Crimson had nothing to do with the swerve, other than getting in the ring for A.J.'s rant (which was pretty epic, to address the actual topic of the thread)?? Because having fortune turn face was definitely not the original plan. I can see the writers all huddled up, thining: "Dammit!!! Those guys screwed us. Ok, what can we do now??". They just happened to stumble upon a golden storyline, which if executed correctly, can resuscitate Tna, and even take them to unexplored heights of success.

The Brown One
02-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Holy crap!!!! Sounds like someone (I'm looking at YOU b7575) still thinks 'rasslin is real!!! Of course Hogan and Bischoff are behind this....they are the catalyst for backstage affairs and storylines (hence the reason they were hired). I think this occured for 2 reasons. Firstly, I'm sure the brass at TNA hear the complaints from the IWC, and they have recognized the faults of the company since the new regime has taken over. Secondly, and most importantly, I think they were forced into this storyline by the defactions of Booker T., Kevin Nash & possibly Sting (fingers crossed!!). They were stuck having previously announced some big event, some emerging faction was coming on 2/3/11, and had to think on the fly as of what to do. Combine my first and second points, and you have what happened tonight. Book, Nash & Stinger might've unknowingly saved TNA by not coming back. I can almost guarantee that tonight was supposed to be the return of Main Event Mafia. Why do you think Angle, Steiner & Crimson had nothing to do with the swerve, other than getting in the ring for A.J.'s rant (which was pretty epic, to address the actual topic of the thread)?? Because having fortune turn face was definitely not the original plan. I can see the writers all huddled up, thining: "Dammit!!! Those guys screwed us. Ok, what can we do now??". They just happened to stumble upon a golden storyline, which if executed correctly, can resuscitate Tna, and even take them to unexplored heights of success.

Good post dude. I don't think it could "save" TNA, because they usually get the same ratings week after week. This week, I believe that they got their 3rd highest rating in their history. But the rating might not go up, since it could have gone up last week due to "They" being revealed. But it is a nice change from Hogan/Bisc running the company to the ground.

Rebel Lion
02-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Good post dude. I don't think it could "save" TNA, because they usually get the same ratings week after week. This week, I believe that they got their 3rd highest rating in their history. But the rating might not go up, since it could have gone up last week due to "They" being revealed. But it is a nice change from Hogan/Bisc running the company to the ground.

True indeed......duely noted!!!

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-04-2011, 08:39 AM

No no no, I'm not biased. I don't want to see any company fail, or necessarily do better than the other. I just want competition and a great product.

Lance Storm
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
That was what needed to be said. It was almost pure "shoot" in a sense. It made Impact watchable again. Bischoff did run WCW into the ground, there was noticeable animosity during the segment. It was awesome and AJ is a face again...which he should always be.

Rich Cranium
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
That was what needed to be said. It was almost pure "shoot" in a sense. It made Impact watchable again. Bischoff did run WCW into the ground, there was noticeable animosity during the segment. It was awesome and AJ is a face again...which he should always be.

It was a worked shoot and AJ's promo was good thanks to Flair which is what Flair should be doing. He should be a promo coach backstage!

*Also, Robstar is always dissing AJ, but with this promo, and I know it's only one, he truly is phenominal!

Trips88
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Well it certainly didn't stay afloat because of him.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA now THAT is some truth for ya!

Rassling_Fan
02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I watched Impact again after months of not watching it (and on Dailymotion so I can keep my "don't give TNA money until they change this (http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/9/29/1719902/an-examination-of-tnas-appalling-treatment-of-talent)" wish). To hear all this.

While the Promo was good, Bishoff's comments kind of ruins it because there are some parts you do have to agree with him about.

Adam Bomb II
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I thought Styles did cut a really good promo tonight - seems like he really has improved by leaps and bounds. Also it was refreshing to get the feeling that TNA might be listening a bit to the fans for once, making some Originals be the main faces. I just pray that they won't screw it up this time... I miss the old TNA...

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Of course I know all of this stuff already IPITS, I still love to hear it though. AJ is not just gonna bitch out his bosses on national television w/o their consent (unless of he's an idiot or he's looking to leave the company). And yes, everyone knows Eric didn't single-handedly run WCW out of business, but it was still an awesome thing to throw in his face from a kayfabe standpoint. It's like when CM Punk was announcing on RAW: everyone on the internet loved him because he said exactly what we all were thinking. Do I believe Punk really hates Cena and Mysterio? Of course not, but him saying all of those things about him was still great to see on T.V.

Stinger187
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Of course I know all of this stuff already IPITS, I still love to hear it though. AJ is not just gonna bitch out his bosses on national television w/o their consent (unless of he's an idiot or he's looking to leave the company). And yes, everyone knows Eric didn't single-handedly run WCW out of business, but it was still an awesome thing to throw in his face from a kayfabe standpoint. It's like when CM Punk was announcing on RAW: everyone on the internet loved him because he said exactly what we all were thinking. Do I believe Punk really hates Cena and Mysterio? Of course not, but him saying all of those things about him was still great to see on T.V.

What it's not REAL OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Iron Ape
02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Eh, it was a notable improvement for AJ, I guess. Can't help but think some of you are going a little overboard with your praise, though. Then again, with it being TNA and all, I can see why some would be eager to take a bit of a positive and just run with it.

thejman93
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
What it's not REAL OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOESSSSSSSSSSSS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

As far as the promo goes it was good but by no means has TNA proven to me that they have turned the perverbial corner. TNA still employs too many drug addicts and geezers to be taken seriously in my book.

Adam Bomb II
02-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Eh, it was a notable improvement for AJ, I guess. Can't help but think some of you are going a little overboard with your praise, though. Then again, with it being TNA and all, I can see why some would be eager to take a bit of a positive and just run with it.

I've been grasping at straws of hope for a looong time in regards to TNA. So I'm definately running with it! :)

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
02-04-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

As far as the promo goes it was good but by no means has TNA proven to me that they have turned the perverbial corner. TNA still employs too many drug addicts and geezers to be taken seriously in my book.

I by no means thin that they've turned the corner either, but I do think this could turn out to be a watchable storyline that they can drag out for a few months, and that's a notable improvement in my book.

thejman93
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I by no means thin that they've turned the corner either, but I do think this could turn out to be a watchable storyline that they can drag out for a few months, and that's a notable improvement in my book.

True, this could be a way to get the spotlight off of Flair/Hogan/Hardyz and back on to guys who actually deserve it.

Iron Ape
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I've been grasping at straws of hope for a looong time in regards to TNA. So I'm definately running with it! :)
I feel you, man. And for everyone's sake, I really do hope it's a harbinger of better things to come.

ChrisQ1
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
2 words: FUCKING EPIC. Aside from AJ making a great promo, Kurt Angles face throughout was just a picture he was loving AJ taking it to Bishoff and was as smug as hell all the time

The Brown One
02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
TNA could have the potential for improving right now. With a non-drug addict as champ(Anderson), a TNA original as X-Division champ(Kaz), Gen ME, MCMG, and Christopher Daniels back in the X-Division, things are looking up.

Tna#1 fan
02-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I think TNA is desitined for greatness all that needs to happen is they need to dump Bischoff and Hogan. The creative spark in those two died out a long time ago ( 1997-98 to be exact). I think that Hogan and Bischoff need to retire and lay on beach some where and stay away from wrestling. Tna needs to get back where it was 2 years ago before the square ring. The roster additions just reinforce the fact that Tna is the greatest wrestling orginazation around and that everyone wants to be there.

Iron Ape
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I think TNA is desitined for greatness all that needs to happen is they need to dump Bischoff and Hogan. The creative spark in those two died out a long time ago ( 1997-98 to be exact). I think that Hogan and Bischoff need to retire and lay on beach some where and stay away from wrestling. Tna needs to get back where it was 2 years ago before the square ring. The roster additions just reinforce the fact that Tna is the greatest wrestling orginazation around and that everyone wants to be there.
The ROFLCOPTER just crashed into the side of a mountain.

Raiyne
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
To be honest IMO....TNA wanted to extend this storyline(To about December) to greatness....MEM would have been the MID-POINT. But they had to rush to the END when they got screwed by the other members of the faction. This brings me to the crap hole...If they rushed this too soon and ratings don't go up...will TNA die out?

IPOOPINTHEBATH
02-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Why does everyone act like TNA is on death's door? I mean sure, I could see them folding, but not anytime soon. It's not like they're scrambling for cash and they do really well internationally.

Bodom
02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
The ROFLCOPTER just crashed into the side of a mountain.

What's an orginazation ?

Iron Ape
02-04-2011, 06:24 PM
What's an orginazation ?
Good point. Maybe TNA really does have the greatest wrestling one of those things out there. We won't really know until we establish just exactly what an orginazation is.

darcw0lf
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Personally I think this was the best wrestling angle I've seen in a LONG time, from wwe or tna. I figured TNA was in trouble since they hyped the "THEY" angle, and then Booker T and Nash go to WWE, and on top of that WWE is promoting the 2-21-11 thing that might possibly be sting. There goes the whole "THEY" angle. So when I watched TNA and kurt was still talking about they I figured it might be someone like maybe Hernandez or MAYBE Sting, but I highly doubted it.

Then at the end when Immortal came out and started beating on Anderson I figured "THEY" would finally be revealed. But I was shocked as hell when AJ pulled back his punch on Anderson threw up the Fortune sign and all at once you see people getting close lined over the top rope, just the way it played out was beautiful and jaw dropping.

I personally didn't like the promo, usually with something like that you wait till the next week to explain whats going on for build up, but I can't bash it, the ending of the show was AMAZING!