PDA

View Full Version : ADR being pushed too fast???

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 05:18 AM
Since his Royal Rumble victory, I have seen an outcry from the IWC about Alberto Del Rio bieng pushed too fast. IMO, what is too fast for a guy who was already internationally reknowned, plus has all the ring/mic skills the WWE looks for these days. I was just watching old footage of Goldberg winning the WCW Championship from Hollywood Hogan. Tony Schivone referenced the fact that Goldberg had been in WCW less than 10 months at the time. He had a 108-0 record, the United States title and just won the World title from arguably the biggest name in wrestling history, on live TV at that!!! So really, would ADR main eventing...and possibly winning....the World Heavyweight Championship be too fast?? Give me your opinions IWC....

Trips88
02-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Since his Royal Rumble victory, I have seen an outcry from the IWC about Alberto Del Rio bieng pushed too fast. IMO, what is too fast for a guy who was already internationally reknowned, plus has all the ring/mic skills the WWE looks for these days. I was just watching old footage of Goldberg winning the WCW Championship from Hollywood Hogan. Tony Schivone referenced the fact that Goldberg had been in WCW less than 10 months at the time. He had a 108-0 record, the United States title and just won the World title from arguably the biggest name in wrestling history, on live TV at that!!! So really, would ADR main eventing...and possibly winning....the World Heavyweight Championship be too fast?? Give me your opinions IWC....

See this is my whole thing. Its impossible to really know how someone would be with the strap until they have it. Same thing happened with the Miz. Not how fast he was pushed, but people questioned his resolve as WWE Champ and now after a few months of being champ hes got a bit of a following. I don't think Del Rio is getting pushed to fast per say, because as you noted hes already well know, but just looking at the stats with him being only like 6 months in I can see how it would raise some eyebrows. Personally I wish nothing but the best for ADR, but like I said, I'd have to see him with the strap for a few weeks to see if he's worthy. It's like a promo I saw cut after Batista won the WHC for the second....maybe third time when HHH walked up to him and told him its one thing to win it, it's another thing to keep it. Truer words have never been spoken.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 05:35 AM
See this is my whole thing. Its impossible to really know how someone would be with the strap until they have it. Same thing happened with the Miz. Not how fast he was pushed, but people questioned his resolve as WWE Champ and now after a few months of being champ hes got a bit of a following. I don't think Del Rio is getting pushed to fast per say, because as you noted hes already well know, but just looking at the stats with him being only like 6 months in I can see how it would raise some eyebrows. Personally I wish nothing but the best for ADR, but like I said, I'd have to see him with the strap for a few weeks to see if he's worthy. It's like a promo I saw cut after Batista won the WHC for the second....maybe third time when HHH walked up to him and told him its one thing to win it, it's another thing to keep it. Truer words have never been spoken.

You are exactly correct. You have to invest the faith in someone to see what you get out of it. Has ADR done anything to make people believe he WON'T be a good/great champion?? Not in my opinion. Goldberg did great with the strap. Like you eluded to earlier, The Miz has gathered steam with the WWE Championship. Sheamus is another example. Talk about fast...I barely knew who the guy was, but had a feeling after he one that #1 contender's battle royal that he would somehow get the strap. At least ADR has long-term international experience. Sheamus only had FCW experience, from what I know....and how'd that work out for the WWE?? Pretty good, if you ask me. Let's give ADR a chance with the gold before we pass judgement....

Tommy Thunder
02-02-2011, 05:45 AM
He's not being pushed too fast. He is ready for the main event, and has been since he started out in WWE. Can't wait until his first title reign!!

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 05:51 AM
He's not being pushed too fast. He is ready for the main event, and has been since he started out in WWE. Can't wait until his first title reign!!

Agreed!!!!!!!!

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 06:04 AM
There have been 2 different opinions in the past about pushing a wrestler too fast:

1) If someone e.g. Goldberg, is bumped into the main event, made unbeatable, and wins the world title in a very short span of time after their debut, it doesn't work out, and then the wrestler becomes boring, and people say that that wrestler didn't deserve to win the world title.

2) The only way to create a new top superstar is to throw them into the main event as soon as possible, so that they are forced to do well, to entertain the fans, and to raise their game to the level of the greats, so that they seem deserving of their world title win.

Well, I think that theres no real rule about pushing someone too fast in the WWE. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
Goldberg had short squash matches, so we didn't get to see much wrestling ability from him, so we deemed him as boring, and undeserving of such a prestigious title.
Alberto Del Rio, even though he has had a similar treatment towards the world title like Goldberg, he has been given time to show us his wrestling ability, and he has. Hes one of the most entertaining men in the WWE, promo-wise, and in-ring ability wise.
Also, people may think that it is strange that a "nobody", who within 6 months of his WWE career be given the honor of the main event, and world title matches, and that he hasn't "paid his dues", so doesn't deserve to get those title shots. But what people forget is that Del Rio is a 10 year veteran in wrestling. He was one of the most famous wrestlers in Mexico, as Dos Caras Junior(he was a masked wrestler), and had an MMA career too. So I think that he indeed does deserve the treatment he is getting, and hope that he win the world title.
Regardless of whether he wins the world title or not, I still think that he deserves it. His hard work over the past several years shows that.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 06:22 AM
There have been 2 different opinions in the past about pushing a wrestler too fast:

1) If someone e.g. Goldberg, is bumped into the main event, made unbeatable, and wins the world title in a very short span of time after their debut, it doesn't work out, and then the wrestler becomes boring, and people say that that wrestler didn't deserve to win the world title.

2) The only way to create a new top superstar is to throw them into the main event as soon as possible, so that they are forced to do well, to entertain the fans, and to raise their game to the level of the greats, so that they seem deserving of their world title win.

Well, I think that theres no real rule about pushing someone too fast in the WWE. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.
Goldberg had short squash matches, so we didn't get to see much wrestling ability from him, so we deemed him as boring, and undeserving of such a prestigious title.
Alberto Del Rio, even though he has had a similar treatment towards the world title like Goldberg, he has been given time to show us his wrestling ability, and he has. Hes one of the most entertaining men in the WWE, promo-wise, and in-ring ability wise.
Also, people may think that it is strange that a "nobody", who within 6 months of his WWE career be given the honor of the main event, and world title matches, and that he hasn't "paid his dues", so doesn't deserve to get those title shots. But what people forget is that Del Rio is a 10 year veteran in wrestling. He was one of the most famous wrestlers in Mexico, as Dos Caras Junior(he was a masked wrestler), and had an MMA career too. So I think that he indeed does deserve the treatment he is getting, and hope that he win the world title.
Regardless of whether he wins the world title or not, I still think that he deserves it. His hard work over the past several years shows that.

Co-sign!!!!! My whole point of creating this post.....so the naysayers could hear intelligent opinions from the elite of the IWC!!! You, myy friend The Brown One, are of such a calibur.....

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Co-sign!!!!! My whole point of creating this post.....so the naysayers could hear intelligent opinions from the elite of the IWC!!! You, myy friend The Brown One, are of such a calibur.....

Thankyou sir. I do my best :D

Saiga
02-02-2011, 07:50 AM
If you think Alberto Del Rio is getting pushed too fast, let's take a look at the push Brock Lesnar received when he first burst onto the WWE scene.

He made an impact during his first appearance on TV destroying Al Snow, Maven & Spike Dudley. Then he tore thru the Hardy Boyz in singles & tag team & handicap matches.

Three months later, he became the King of the Ring ... followed by a victory over The Rock for the Undisputed Championship, making him the youngest superstar to ever be the WWE Champion and went on to have victories over guys like Undertaker, Randy Orton, Paul London just to name a few. He was pretty much a main event guy five months after his debut.

After losing his championship to Big Show, he went on to win the 2003 Royal Rumble match securing a spot in the main event of his FIRST WrestleMania ...

Lesnar would go on to win the WWE Championship two more times as well as main event most Smackdown & Pay Per View matches, constantly putting on good matches.

To me, if the guy is the total package and is suddenly getting a rapid push ... then there's no reason to say he's getting pushed too quickly. Alberto Del Rio will be the second WWE rookie in history to co-main event/main event his first WrestleMania.

Should be good to see how he goes in 2011 ... I expect him to be a big star by the end of the year :D

mrbluto
02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
A wrestler with his talent should be pushed to the IC title then see if he can carry the ball as a heel world champion.

Stinger187
02-02-2011, 08:00 AM
ADR isn't being pushed to fast! WWE needs to do this with guys like him! He has all the skills needed to be great! He can talk on the mic! He can go in the ring, and he get heat! They are short on heels and superstars right now! I think in the next year will seethe rise of a lot new stars! Hopefully not ADR but like Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, and many more have feuds with what's left of the super stars and give them some cred in the kiddies eyes and move tword the future!

Bodom
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Just like with Sheamus, it amazes me how resisten some people are to a new guy on the top of the card when all we seem to do is talk about how much we want new guys at the top of the card

Spear-O-Matic
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
ADR being pushed too fast? The man is ALBERTOOOOOO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOORITO!!!! But you already knew that.

el gabo
02-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Just like with Sheamus, it amazes me how resisten some people are to a new guy on the top of the card when all we seem to do is talk about how much we want new guys at the top of the card

Look at Sheamus now. He lost three times to Morrison and still looks not only like a beast but, a main eventer. I say give Del Rio a chance (frankly I don't know what the hell more does the guy have to do to convince poeple he's Champ material). He's been in WWE for a couple of months now and there are still two more left until WM.

Lance Storm
02-02-2011, 12:06 PM
A wrestler with his talent should be pushed to the IC title then see if he can carry the ball as a heel world champion.

The IC title has been rendered a joke anymore. That is not stepping stone for the HW title. The last time the IC title meant anything was about 15-20 years ago.

I believe ADR is the complete package. If they can put the strap on Khali or Swagger, they can sure as hell feel secure with Alberto Del Rio as WHC.

But, you already know that.

dres1214
02-02-2011, 12:21 PM

I was literally thinking that same thought....you beat me to it sir!
ADR is the future of WWE! ¡Pero usted sabÃ*a ya eso! (But you already knew that.)

Murphdogg4
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
the same folks in the IWC complaining about his push would be the same people complaining if a vet won the rumble, they would be crying about how a guy like ADR should have won. I like ADR becaues of his vast experience outside of the E he doesn't wrestle just like everybody else that comes out of the WWE farm system.

RomanFlare
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Baby Face (and I do mean Baby Face) Juan Cena and Edge, with "Tweener" Orton dominate the top of the WWE. Del Rio is an entertaining heel and is getting a great push because he has proven himself in other federations (Like when Jericho came to the WWE and won the (FIRST) Undisputed championship rather quickly compared to others)

Am I the only one who thinks this will help restore Heels? A submission-wielding heel that will probably PROUDLY wear the top title of his brand around his waist, unlike the Miz who kinda clutches it and holds on like a bully is trying to steal it from him (but that fits his character). I believe that would be great for the 'E. The 'E needs another young, top, arrogant heel to match the Bully (Sheamus) and the Wiley, "Beatable" loud mouth (Miz).

Okay, proven wrestler in another federation, who uses a submission finisher, has great matches, and drops great promos. Del Rio is a mexican Chris Jericho. There, I said it!

CobraNightviper
02-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Alberto Del Rio=world heavyweight champion it's his destiny.

SilverGhost
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Baby Face (and I do mean Baby Face) Juan Cena and Edge, with "Tweener" Orton dominate the top of the WWE. Del Rio is an entertaining heel and is getting a great push because he has proven himself in other federations (Like when Jericho came to the WWE and won the (FIRST) Undisputed championship rather quickly compared to others)

Am I the only one who thinks this will help restore Heels? A submission-wielding heel that will probably PROUDLY wear the top title of his brand around his waist, unlike the Miz who kinda clutches it and holds on like a bully is trying to steal it from him (but that fits his character). I believe that would be great for the 'E. The 'E needs another young, top, arrogant heel to match the Bully (Sheamus) and the Wiley, "Beatable" loud mouth (Miz).

Okay, proven wrestler in another federation, who uses a submission finisher, has great matches, and drops great promos. Del Rio is a mexican Chris Jericho. There, I said it!

Bold part gets a thumbs up from me. Del Rio is that breeze of air that isn't noticed till it hits in the face. Heel, great wrestling, good talker and SUBMISSION FINSHER has some future in the WWE and the future will be big.

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Bold part gets a thumbs up from me. Del Rio is that breeze of air that isn't noticed till it hits in the face. Heel, great wrestling, good talker and SUBMISSION FINSHER has some future in the WWE and the future will be big.

It seems that WWE is letting more and more of their talent use submissions as finishers as of late. Bryan Danielson, Natalya, and ADR. I for one am happy, and its a nice change from the usual kick, punch, or slam to get the victory.

The irony of this..
I supported Sheamus ever since he debuted. I knew there were big things in store for him, but didn't know that he would win the WWE title so fast. But hes proven that he is a credible main eventer.

SilverGhost
02-02-2011, 04:59 PM
It seems that WWE is letting more and more of their talent use submissions as finishers as of late. Bryan Danielson, Natalya, and ADR. I for one am happy, and its a nice change from the usual kick, punch, or slam to get the victory.

Also some heels are using submission finishers. Swagger is one, if WWE made Punk use his Anaconda Vice or the Koji Clutch as finishers then he would be number two.

Heels with submission finishers should be treated a bit better.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Also some heels are using submission finishers. Swagger is one, if WWE made Punk use his Anaconda Vice or the Koji Clutch as finishers then he would be number two.

For some strange reason, a heel using a submission is just more awesome than a heel using a regular finisher. It's like adding insult to injury. It's almost as if the heel is saying: "Not only am I a prick that thinks I'm better than you, I'm gonna make you submit to my iron will". SN: C.M. Punk using the Koji Clutch on a consistent basis would be friggin' incredible!!!! How much more of a prick would that make him seem, to have New Nexus interfere, give him the upper hand, then make your favorite babyface tap out to such a vicious move???

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

I think the Koji Clutch was an occasional submission..you know, just one to fill in time, like the arm bar? Except much more devastating.
I have more respect for heels with submission finishers, because they usually try to win matches any way possible. With weapons, and then maybe a quick move(e.g. SCF)..but when they try and win cleanly, you know that they deserve the win.

SilverGhost
02-02-2011, 06:01 PM
For some strange reason, a heel using a submission is just more awesome than a heel using a regular finisher. It's like adding insult to injury. It's almost as if the heel is saying: "Not only am I a prick that thinks I'm better than you, I'm gonna make you submit to my iron will". SN: C.M. Punk using the Koji Clutch on a consistent basis would be friggin' incredible!!!! How much more of a prick would that make him seem, to have New Nexus interfere, give him the upper hand, then make your favorite babyface tap out to such a vicious move???

I think the Koji Clutch was an occasional submission..you know, just one to fill in time, like the arm bar? Except much more devastating.
I have more respect for heels with submission finishers, because they usually try to win matches any way possible. With weapons, and then maybe a quick move(e.g. SCF)..but when they try and win cleanly, you know that they deserve the win.

You two right on the money.