PDA

View Full Version : Is the WWE youth movement stalling?

TheMadThinker
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
WWE recently signed Kevin Nash, Booker T, and is trying very hard to get Sting. This seems contrary to the youth movement that is going on. I think WWE would be stupid to ignore the popularity of these vintage superstars, but they may risk taking a step backwards in doing so. There is only so much room to showcase talent in WWE programming. If WWE management feels that one of these classic stars is drawing a greater audience than their developmental youth you know good and well who is going to get TV time. I am sure WWE will find a middle ground, but I found it necessary to at least point this out. Look at some of the failure TNA is having arguably from pushing old talent.

Bodom
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Nash and Booker have only been seen in WWE for a collective 3 minutes. Hardly a stall of the youth movement.

And them "trying hard to sign Sting" is nothing but an unconfirmed, fabricated story.

Viking
02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
i really don't think this will be a problem. the way i see it wwe will use the old guys as a way of getting the up and coming superstars over. I have read manny complaints that the new talent does not have good enough feuds with established superstars, so this is a good way to showcase the up and commers. I highly doubt that nash and booker t will dominate cena-style

thejman93
02-01-2011, 06:18 PM
If you have a dingleberry of a chance to get an icon like Sting and set up one of the most anticipated matches in the history of professional wrestling you do it no matter if it causes a momentary bump in the road for your youth movement.

Rich Cranium
02-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I see Nash and Booker not taking on a full time wrestling schedule and are perhaps are there more for marketing purposes. Nash would be a good fit as a Tough Enough coach? Booker wants to announce and could also serve as a part time wrestler/mouthpiece!

Automatic
02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Wrestlemania needs starpower, you can't rely on the youth on the Grandaddy of them all, people want celebrities, big names etc. etc.

Necroyeti
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Even despite Sting's supposed arrival and Jerry Lawler headlining in 2011, let's not forget:
http://www.411mania.com/siteimages/wwe-raw-the-miz-new-wwe-champion_78708.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xkpeWEIYlHU/TUY05TQjRGI/AAAAAAAACmk/C-Q-JNaS6NU/s1600/WWE-Royal-Rumble-2011-Results-3.jpg
^ Pretty much the culmination of the WWE's movement to push new stars - and with the steady improvement of the Miz, and Del Rio being a 10 year vet elsewhere with amateur and MMA experience, it's unlikely they're gonna flounder at the top level.

The oldies.... well, they just keep the marks happy.

WWE may be far from the best wrestling promotion, but they know what they're doing.

Iron Ape
02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
2 guys showing up to the Rumble and getting thrown out of the ring within mere minutes of stepping into it, plus one guy who in no shape, form, or fashion has been confirmed to have joined the company, and you think that's somehow interfering with the push of well over a dozen or so new/young guys? Um, what? How does one even connect those dots?

SaberToothTigerz
02-01-2011, 07:04 PM
2 guys showing up to the Rumble and getting thrown out of the ring within mere minutes of stepping into it, plus one guy who in no shape, form, or fashion has been confirmed to have joined the company, and you think that's somehow interfering with the push of well over a dozen or so new/young guys? Um, what? How does one even connect those dots?

exactly how iron ape said it
so far those old guys did nothing special
luckily the wwe wont go overboard with this whole idea on relying in old talent

Trips88
02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
If you have a dingleberry of a chance to get an icon like Sting and set up one of the most anticipated matches in the history of professional wrestling you do it no matter if it causes a momentary bump in the road for your youth movement.

AGREED! This is Sting were talkin about here, not freakin Jeff Jarret!

Trips88
02-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Ummm Both have singed deals, Nash's is short term but it will at least last through Mania. Other than that I agree, the vets won't take to much away from the up and comers. This isn't WCW after all.

Trips88
02-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Ummm Both have singed deals, Nash's is short term but it will at least last through Mania. Other than that I agree, the vets won't take to much away from the up and comers. This isn't WCW after all.

AGEOFFALL
02-01-2011, 07:28 PM
It's not like they are signing every veteran they can find. It's only two.

Tommy Thunder
02-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I hardly call bringing in 2 older guys (potentially 3) a stalling of the youth movement. Only Nash and Booker are confirmed at the moment, and it looks like only Booker is confirmed as having an actual wrestling role, and it's expected to be minimal. Booker and Nash deserve this last run in WWE.
The youth movement is still on. Tyler Black is expected on the main roster very soon, Wes Brisco likewise, Brett Di-Biase also, I would expect Ritchie Steamboat up soon, and not to mention Mystico.

Iron Ape
02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm aware they've both signed deals, and I never said anything to the contrary (so I'm not really sure what this "Ummm" business is all about). As of this writing, though, all they have collectively done is spend a couple of un-impactful minutes in the ring, so they're hardly interfering with anything.

Stinger187
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM

With michael j fox's hand!

Rebel Lion
02-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Youth movement stalling?? Not at all. Wrestlemania is in Atlanta. WCW was based in Atlanta. Rumors of some WCW stars being inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame have been swirling for months. If you can't put the pieces of the puzzle together from there, you are slower than molasses.

willos19991
02-01-2011, 10:58 PM
booker t would be doing commentary so its good, the only way that this would affect the youth movement specially with nash if he decides to go into the creative side of the business he was the booker in wcw so lets just hope for the better

homer75751
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
great point!

ToWhomItConcerns.
02-01-2011, 11:55 PM
a combined 3:52 of in ring time between Booker and Nash in the Rumble.

.........yup the youth movement is officially over people.

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Its not like they will wrestle full time, so I'm sure that the younger stars will still get the limelight. Maybe occasionally, WWE will let them wrestle, to keep the older fans happy.

Daniel Bryan
02-02-2011, 01:52 AM
I think they are stalling right now bc of wrestlemania bc they have to put the best out there for the PPV buys but after wrestlemania they will get back to it I think

Trips88
02-02-2011, 02:41 AM
I think they are stalling right now bc of wrestlemania bc they have to put the best out there for the PPV buys but after wrestlemania they will get back to it I think

I agree. It's always good to push new talent but with a show like Mania people wanna see the Ortons and the Cenas and the Takers even if they say they don't.

crazy23ph
02-02-2011, 06:08 AM
I agree also but I think you will see some young talents like the corre and nexxus at wrestlemania and some old ones like undertaker, sting, nash and the big show. it will be interesting and exciting how things shape up though going into wrestlemania. My projected wrestlemania card is posted and I see it happening if they PUSH Christian and get STING.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 06:28 AM
A successful wrestling organization needs a well-balanced mix of young wrestlers, talented and ready to make their mark....and seasoned vets, with the instant name recognition and willingness to put the younger guys over. Just look at the RR and you'll see that Booker and Nash put the young guys over big time. Add to that the limited roles they both, and other talent that may come in (come on Sting!!!!!) will be playing, and I see no harm done.