PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lawler Main Eventing a PPV!

Rich Cranium
02-01-2011, 01:13 AM
So the King is going to be facing the Miz at the Elimination Chamber PPV for the WWE title. I know he should be retired as I think he is like 61 and perhaps this is him going out in a blaze of glory but I was thinking that when he was facing Miz on Raw, it was great but in a PPV, not so sure on the business side of things. Thoughts?

Necroyeti
02-01-2011, 01:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/PMHm7.jpg
Seriously though, Lawler is supposed to be a better wrestler than WWE books him to be - he still wrestles on the independent circuit on occassion.

So it might not be a complete trainwreck...

The Brown One
02-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I can tell you right now this will be a shitty match. Miz isn't the best wrestler around, and Lawler has slowed down over the years. They have faced off twice before, and Miz had to take it easy with him. This has shades of the Triple H-Ric Flair "win or your'e retired" match, where Trips had to slow down his game, and do Ric Flair-like moves.

Trips88
02-01-2011, 02:10 AM
I can tell you right now this will be a shitty match. Miz isn't the best wrestler around, and Lawler has slowed down over the years. They have faced off twice before, and Miz had to take it easy with him. This has shades of the Triple H-Ric Flair "win or your'e retired" match, where Trips had to slow down his game, and do Ric Flair-like moves.

True but King isn't nearly as beat up as Flair was at the time, mostly do to the fact that the majority of the time he's been sitting at the announce booth, so it might not be so bad. Plus HHH tried to send Fair out with style and it was an awesome way to end it IF Fair had the class to hang it up. If the WWE wants to give King one last big story line before he retires then I say let it happen. Plus with him being old and never having had the WWE strap it make's him an underdog story and people LOVE an underdog story!

IPEEINTHESHOWER
02-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Jerry the King Lawler is F'N AWESOME. This whole storyline is great. The man can still go, not go in the sense of a 23 year old but he still has it. He is a legend. And I for one am looking forward to seeing him face the Miz. Haters gonna Hate, thats what they do.

I know he's a good guy now but check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTchTXNmm7A

Mongo
02-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Yeah,I love that Lawler is going to main event a ppv.

The Brown One
02-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Well as long as King gets a WWE title match, I'm happy. He truly deserved it.

SaberToothTigerz
02-01-2011, 09:43 AM
we all know he's not gonna win it but maybe cole vs king at mania like another thread stated out will put an end to this announcer's rivalry sort of thingy going on

Xpacfan
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
My thoughts:

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/community/showthread.php?4133-If-you-are-a-WWE-fan-AND-a-TNA-hater-I-have-just-a-couple-of-questions-for-you...

Lance Storm
02-01-2011, 10:52 AM
He deserves this. He has done so much for the company. This is a great thank you for him.

SilverGhost
02-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Lawler leaving the announcers table in a blaze of glory and getting a championship match. It is great of Lawler. 61 and still can go. The man is incredible for his shape and WWE has faith in Lawler. They wouldn't normally do this but it does sell.

Rich Cranium
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Lawler leaving the announcers table in a blaze of glory and getting a championship match. It is great of Lawler. 61 and still can go. The man is incredible for his shape and WWE has faith in Lawler. They wouldn't normally do this but it does sell.

This is true but idk if it was the best business decision as far as buyrates go.

SaberToothTigerz
02-01-2011, 02:08 PM
This is true but idk if it was the best business decision as far as buyrates go.

if the e.c. ppv gets two elimination chamber matches, an ic, us and perhaps divas or tag team tittles defense it can draw
or at least that's what i think

Bodom
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Im assuming they believe the Elimination Chamber is enough of a selling point for the PPV.

WWTNA Mark
02-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Yeah,I love that Lawler is going to main event a ppv.

my sarcasm meter went up for some reason.........

Necroyeti
02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
The marks fucking love Jerry Lawler - I dare say he's more over than half the locker room. The casuals will buy it to see him slap the piss outta The Miz :)

PandaMassacre
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Even though he may or may not come out on the losing end of things at Wrestlemania atleast he will have some extra bragging rights to use against Michael Cole on Raw.

Mongo
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
my sarcasm meter went up for some reason.........

No sarcasm was intended.

WWTNA Mark
02-01-2011, 07:13 PM
No sarcasm was intended.

But it was needed!

VKM
02-01-2011, 07:33 PM
This might sound too crazy but maybe WWE thought of this match up at just hours away from RAW on monday. My reason is:
Booker T and Kevin Nash came to WWE.

Booker T wants to become an annoucer for the WWE

Miz vs. The King - Miz either injures The King or later on the episodes of RAW, they make the match a retirement match where if King loses, he retires

Therefore, an annoucer chair spot is left. Bam! Booker T as the new annoucer.

Rich Cranium
02-01-2011, 07:54 PM
And its looks as though Jerry will have a match a WM27 as well! I'm sure he will be hanging up his boots after that.

Mongo
02-02-2011, 01:26 AM
But it was needed!

Has Lawler been a ppv main eventer? Perhaps AWA... I feel I should know this,but alas...I've no friggin clue...

Lmao @ Mongo....AWA ppv....