PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the WWE title being defended in an Elimination Chamber match?

The Brown One
02-01-2011, 01:04 AM
On tonight's Raw, it was announced that The Miz will defend the WWE title against Jerry Lawler. This marks the 2nd time that the WWE title hasn't been defended in an Elimination Chamber match. The first was in 2008, where the winner got a WWE title shot at WM(Triple H ended up winning).

Why do you think this happened?

Rich Cranium
02-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm guessing because there is a separate match on that PPV for the WWE title.

Trips88
02-01-2011, 02:20 AM
They are trying to keep this whole King the underdog storyline going while putting the main eventer's in the Chamber. I'm all for a nice King storyline before he leaves the WWE but I hope this isn't gonna be a long running thing.

The Brown One
02-01-2011, 05:00 AM
So this is most likely going to be because of Cole? For a nice sendoff?

Well its good, because this way, it ensures that Miz will still be champ at WM(that means he'l be a credible champ, by having a long title reign). And Jerry Lawler will have a WWE title match, like he always wanted.

6maximum6carnage6
02-01-2011, 05:51 AM
it happened so they could keep the belt on miz till mania. lets face it, wwe would never let miz walk out of the chamber with the strap. so they are having him defend against lawler so he has another secessful victory at a ppv before mania. and putting thier top guys in the chamber is a way to determine who will challenge miz for the belt

The Brown One
02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
it happened so they could keep the belt on miz till mania. lets face it, wwe would never let miz walk out of the chamber with the strap. so they are having him defend against lawler so he has another secessful victory at a ppv before mania. and putting thier top guys in the chamber is a way to determine who will challenge miz for the belt

Its a good way to keep up the Miz' image as a beatable champion. Fans will like the match at Mania, because they will know that a big name will take on Miz, and will want to destroy him.

Bammer
02-01-2011, 07:06 AM
i'm going to say because they needed a way to get a number 1 contender for mania since del rio chose Edge.

Jayoholic
02-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Bammer pretty much nailed it. Also, I like this. I'm hoping they do it for both brands but so far I'm hearing that Edge will defend the title in an Elimination Chamber match. I'm thinking him, Dolph, Kofi, Rey, Barrett, and maybe Big Show (or maybe Kane or Ezekiel). Or maybe earlier in the night, have the last three fight for the final spot.

Kid_Gangsta
02-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Quite frankly, i do not even care. At least we're not getting an over kill with the chambers. The chambers over the past 3-4 years looks weak and looks like a joke, and the less chambers there are at EC, the better IMO.

SaberToothTigerz
02-01-2011, 09:56 AM
presicely what someone else said before
king vs miz for two reasons
a farewell feud for the king and to let the miz remain champ untill mania

thejman93
02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
presicely what someone else said before
king vs miz for two reasons
a farewell feud for the king and to let the miz remain champ untill mania

And the fact that you don't want 60 some year old Jerry Lawler in a Chamber match.

HeelTurn
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah it means they can keep Cena and Miz seperate until Mania but keep the rivalry going, plus as someone said it keeps the belt on the Miz and most likely will include interference from Cole to set up a match with King at Mania.

AGEOFFALL
02-01-2011, 06:45 PM
While the main eventers are in the chamber to determine the #1 contender at Mania, the miz walks out of EC as champion. Not only that maybe Alex Riley or Michael Cole will cost King the match and maybe set up a match at Wrestlemania between the King and/or Riley/Cole. And bam there you go the King finally gets to wrestle at a Wrestlemania. And since the Miz is been called a beatable champion then whoever becomes the #1 Contender (Cena) will have the advantage heading into WM and maybe at WM the Miz will finally beat Cena legit.

Trips88
02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Ya know I wouldn't be surprised if the Smackdown chamber ends up being something like Edge vs Mysterio vs The Corre.

the wrestling shade
02-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Two Things!!!!! first its been known that the elimination chamber is the PPV where no champions will be the same after its over but on the other hand they dont to take the title away from the miz because he is on a major push right now and because they dont want to break this (streak) of the elimination chamber... they did a wwe match where miz will clearly win and jerry lawler would challange for the wwe title for last time in his career

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Two Things!!!!! first its been known that the elimination chamber is the PPV where no champions will be the same after its over but on the other hand they dont to take the title away from the miz because he is on a major push right now and because they dont want to break this (streak) of the elimination chamber... they did a wwe match where miz will clearly win and jerry lawler would challange for the wwe title for last time in his career

I believe that this year..both participants will retain in the Elimination Chamber. Unless Christian returns before then, makes it as 1 of the entrants in the match, and somehow ends up winning. Either way, I'm sure that Edge will be WHC at Mania.

Trips88
02-02-2011, 05:32 AM
I believe that this year..both participants will retain in the Elimination Chamber. Unless Christian returns before then, makes it as 1 of the entrants in the match, and somehow ends up winning. Either way, I'm sure that Edge will be WHC at Mania.

That my friend, I would have to agree is a lock.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 05:44 AM
I have to agree with the other posts, that The Miz is facing Lawler it the EC PPV to keep the strap on Miz, and set up Lawler's match at WM. Here's a what if for your powerful IWC mids to ponder...agin, just a WHAT IF??? What if Edge defended the WHC at EC, and at the end of the match Christian came out & screwed Edge out of the belt, allowing Rey Mysterio to win. Edge would then face Christian at WM, with no belt on the line, but a dream match nonetheless....and ADR finished his rivalry with Mysterio at Wm for all the marbles (Not my ideal match, but would be HUGE for WWE's push towards the hispanic demographic). What do you guys think???

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 06:09 AM
I have to agree with the other posts, that The Miz is facing Lawler it the EC PPV to keep the strap on Miz, and set up Lawler's match at WM. Here's a what if for your powerful IWC mids to ponder...agin, just a WHAT IF??? What if Edge defended the WHC at EC, and at the end of the match Christian came out & screwed Edge out of the belt, allowing Rey Mysterio to win. Edge would then face Christian at WM, with no belt on the line, but a dream match nonetheless....and ADR finished his rivalry with Mysterio at Wm for all the marbles (Not my ideal match, but would be HUGE for WWE's push towards the hispanic demographic). What do you guys think???

ADR's feud with Mysterio is actually over..it got over a while back, on Smackdown, in the 2 out of 3 falls match, which Del Rio won.
Rey is facing Cody Rhodes at WM. That was the plan as of a few days ago.

As for Edge vs Christian without a title on the line, I wouldn't mind.
We have yet to see Edge vs Christian at Wrestlemania, so I'll look forward to that match no matter what.
I would also like Christian to win the WHC, and if it doesn't happen at Mania, then theres always the rest of the year.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
ADR's feud with Mysterio is actually over..it got over a while back, on Smackdown, in the 2 out of 3 falls match, which Del Rio won.Rey is facing Cody Rhodes at WM. That was the plan as of a few days ago.

As for Edge vs Christian without a title on the line, I wouldn't mind.
We have yet to see Edge vs Christian at Wrestlemania, so I'll look forward to that match no matter what.
I would also like Christian to win the WHC, and if it doesn't happen at Mania, then theres always the rest of the year.

I know they said it was the end....and although it was a pretty good match, it just felt so anti-climatic. Just saying....

And I wholeheartedly agree....it is time for a Christian title run. Great mic skills, awesome in-ring competitor....WWE better not drop the ball on this one. I wouldn't mind seeing ADR winning the title at WM, and having Christian come back to a major feud with him, culminating at SummerSlam with a main event title win for Captain Charisma!!

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 06:26 AM
I know they said it was the end....and although it was a pretty good match, it just felt so anti-climatic. Just saying....

And I wholeheartedly agree....it is time for a Christian title run. Great mic skills, awesome in-ring competitor....WWE better not drop the ball on this one. I wouldn't mind seeing ADR winning the title at WM, and having Christian come back to a major feud with him, culminating at SummerSlam with a main event title win for Captain Charisma!!

Theres many possibilities, and oppurtunities for Christian to still win the WHC. Heres another one: Lets assume that Christian will take on Edge at WM(with ADR in there too of course) for the WHC. Christian loses, and one of the others wins. Since Christian lost, shouldn't he get a rematch, at Extreme Rules? Its possible.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 06:32 AM
Theres many possibilities, and oppurtunities for Christian to still win the WHC. Heres another one: Lets assume that Christian will take on Edge at WM(with ADR in there too of course) for the WHC. Christian loses, and one of the others wins. Since Christian lost, shouldn't he get a rematch, at Extreme Rules? Its possible.

Quite possible indeed. Or maybe in that same triple-threat scenario at WM, ADR takes Christian out, Edge spears him and pins Christian to reatin the belt....which ends up pissing Christian off, that his best bud pinned him for the win, setting up for either Edge or Christian for a heel turn, and subsequent championship rivalry.

The Brown One
02-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Quite possible indeed. Or maybe in that same triple-threat scenario at WM, ADR takes Christian out, Edge spears him and pins Christian to reatin the belt....which ends up pissing Christian off, that his best bud pinned him for the win, setting up for either Edge or Christian for a heel turn, and subsequent championship rivalry.

Thats a good one too. They could play off YEARS of history that these 2 have had together. I can see Edge playing the heel better than Christian though, so I'd like him to turn. The current face run is fine with me, but he was always more entertaining as a heel in E&C, and as the Rated R Superstar.

HeelTurn
02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Would love to see Del Rio vs Edge at Mania with Edge retaining, then the mitb winner (Christian) comes out and cashes in on Edge.

Spear-O-Matic
02-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Would love to see Del Rio vs Edge at Mania with Edge retaining, then the mitb winner (Christian) comes out and cashes in on Edge.

You got most of it right, but Dorito (Del Rio) is going to win and Christian is going to cash in on him. There's too much animosity between ADR and Captain Charisma to not some how bring it to a close, because don't forget, Dorito put Christian out. Plus this could build up to an E&C reunion for a few months while Christian feuds with Del Rio and then see Edge turn on Christian out of jealousy and start a possible three way feud.

Rebel Lion
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
You got most of it right, but Dorito (Del Rio) is going to win and Christian is going to cash in on him. There's too much animosity between ADR and Captain Charisma to not some how bring it to a close, because don't forget, Dorito put Christian out. Plus this could build up to an E&C reunion for a few months while Christian feuds with Del Rio and then see Edge turn on Christian out of jealousy and start a possible three way feud.

Other than the blatant disrespect of my man ADR, this sounds like one helluva idea!!!