PDA

View Full Version : Does WWE Need To Implement A Ranking System???

Robstar
01-31-2011, 05:43 PM
20 years ago, when I was a teen reading Pro Wrestling Illustrated and all it's sister publications, they would have a section devoted to the feds, their titles and each titles top 10 rankings. Of course, especially with WWF/E, it was their own ranking as WWF/E did not cooperate with those mags back then. I thought it was great. I'd pore over them for hours, comparing, for example, the rankings for the U.S. title (then an NWA belt) and the IC title, imaging different dream match ups and comparing them to months previous.

So since the WWE rankings scene seems to be in such disarray(Dolph loses the IC belt and is suddenly elevated to WHC status?), do you think that WWE should introduce a ranking system? My thinking is they could use this as a platform for pushing new feuds, especially in the mid card. By making it interactive with fans, perhaps they could pay more attention to stars that fans would like to see given a push. Not that I'd hold my breath waiting for WWE to start doing that, mind you. :rolleyes:

Robstar
01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
Anyway, here's an example of how I would list WWE title rankings currently - (No I'm not going to explain my reasoning, it's just to give an idea. Some of the teams are made up for examples sake and some of the other rankings are a stretch I know, but you will get the idea)***only currently active are shown***

World Heavyweight Championship
Champion - Edge
1. Alberto Del Rio
2. Kane
3. Dolph Ziggler
4. Big Show
5. Kofi Kingston (secondary champs used to be considered automatic #1 contenders but apparantly, not anymore)
6. Rey Mysterio
7. Wade Barrett
8. Jack Swagger
9. Drew McIntyre
10. Cody Rhodes

Intercontinental Championship
Champion - Kofi Kingston
1. Jack Swagger
2. Drew McIntyre
3. Cody Rhodes
4. Chris Masters
5. Chavo Guerrero
6. Ezekial Jackson
7. Tyler Reks
8. JTG
9. Justin Gabriel
10. Heath Slater

WWE Championship
Champion - The Miz
1. Randy Orton
2. CM Punk
3. John Cena
4. Sheamus
5. Daniel Bryan
6. John Morrison
7. William Regal
8. Ted DiBiase
9. R-Truth
10. Mark Henry

United States Championship
Champion - Daniel Bryan
1. Ted DiBiase
2. R-Truth
3. Mark Henry
4. Primo
5. Tyson Kidd
6. David Hart Smith
7. Michael McGillicutty
8. Yoshi Tatsu
9. Zack Ryder
10. Darren Young

WWE Tag Team Championship
Champions - Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov
1. Justin Gabriel & Heath Slater
2. The Usos
3. Drew McIntyre & Sheamus
4. Chavo & Primo
5. McGillicutty & Harris

WWTNA Mark
01-31-2011, 05:50 PM
TNA had a good ranking system going on but since Immortal took control, it just vanished.

Bodom
01-31-2011, 06:01 PM
TNA had a good ranking system going on but since Immortal took control, it just vanished.

It was good until they stopped caring about it a week later.

Necroyeti
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
I say no, because:
1) The absolute disaster that was TNA's ranking system (see: Desmond Wolfe) - The only good thing about it was the Kurt Angle storyline, and that ended up being abandoned.

2) ROH's pick six system, which was just generally confusing as fuck.

3) WWE's obvious disregard to what the fans actually want rules out fan interaction for me. NXT2 comes to mind - No creative plans for the voted winner? Meh, let's push Alex Riley and Husky instead. Not to mention, it would probably be handled similar to "viewer's choice Raw", so that the winner is almost certain so it can be rehearsed beforehand.

ie. "WWE UNIVERSE YOU CAN VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE WWE SUPERSTAR TO FACE THE MIZ - jackson andrews, yoshi tatsu, some guy from NXT4...... OR JOHNNNNNN CEEEEEEEENAAAAA"

I guess they already have the Power 25 thing.

The Brown One
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
The Power 25 thing usually has champs as #1 and #2 lol.
I say no to this. Most of the time, wrestlers worthy of holding a world title get a chance, by beating 3 or 4 other guys on Raw/Smackdown to get a shot at the gold, so its fair.

Robstar
01-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Anyway, here's an example of how I would list WWE title rankings currently - (No I'm not going to explain my reasoning, it's just to give an idea. Some of the teams are made up for examples sake and some of the other rankings are a stretch I know, but you will get the idea)***only currently active are shown***

World Heavyweight Championship
Champion - Edge
1. Alberto Del Rio
2. Kane
3. Dolph Ziggler
4. Big Show
5. Kofi Kingston (secondary champs used to be considered automatic #1 contenders but apparantly, not anymore)
6. Rey Mysterio
7. Wade Barrett
8. Jack Swagger
9. Drew McIntyre
10. Cody Rhodes

Intercontinental Championship
Champion - Kofi Kingston
1. Jack Swagger
2. Drew McIntyre
3. Cody Rhodes
4. Chris Masters
5. Chavo Guerrero
6. Ezekial Jackson
7. Tyler Reks
8. JTG
9. Justin Gabriel
10. Heath Slater

WWE Championship
Champion - The Miz
1. Randy Orton
2. CM Punk
3. John Cena
4. Sheamus
5. Daniel Bryan
6. John Morrison
7. William Regal
8. Ted DiBiase
9. R-Truth
10. Mark Henry

United States Championship
Champion - Daniel Bryan
1. Ted DiBiase
2. R-Truth
3. Mark Henry
4. Primo
5. Tyson Kidd
6. David Hart Smith
7. Michael McGillicutty
8. Yoshi Tatsu
9. Zack Ryder
10. Darren Young

WWE Tag Team Championship
Champions - Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov
1. Justin Gabriel & Heath Slater
2. The Usos
3. Drew McIntyre & Sheamus
4. Chavo & Primo
5. McGillicutty & Harris

Look at what I have here. What I'm getting at is that you could garner justifiable interest in say, Yoshi Tatsu vs Michael McGillicutty being that MM is 'trying to work his way up the rankings' see? You'd have something legitimate for them to be doing on Superstars or low card Raw or Smackdown matches(which is what Superstars is really).
You would also then have a decent reason to promote face vs face and heel vs heel matches and what better way to tell if fans are likely to accept someone in turning than based on fan reaction to say, Ted DiBiase vs William Regal?

I can't speak for ROH, but as for TNA, they have no idea what they're doing, they change things weekly and their roster doesn't have the depth. Good idea not followed through

Necroyeti
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
In theory, if it was booked in a certain way, I guess it could be seen as a way of (kayfabe!) legitimising the sport of professional wrestling by adapting a similar system to MMA and its ilk. I don't think it would be such a good idea to implement on the world titles, but for a midcard title like the United States Championship - it could act as a MacGuffin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacGuffin), eliminating the need for feuds or heel/face status as the driving force behind why these guys are wrestling in the first place. It's possibly a way of bringing a bit of prestige back to the title too. (edit: reading this back... that's pretty much what you've already said)

I think that was the thinking behind ROH's pick six thing too, but it was very badly implemented and confusing. I'm not even aware if it still exists or not.

On Jim Cornette's return to ROH in 2009, the promotion re-implemented a ranking system – called the "Pick Six" – for contenders for a world championship. A tournament was held during Ring of Honor Wrestling tapings on November 5 and 6 to determine the first six members of the Pick Six, and each winner also received a cash bonus courtesy of HDNet.[24] Once the Pick Six was implememted, ROH announced that only wrestlers ranked in the Pick Six would be eligible to challenge for the ROH World Championship, although contenders to the championship can still be determined via a special bout or official ruling, for example ROH's annual "Toronto Gauntlet" earns the winner a championship match. The higher a wrestler is seeded in the "Pick Six", the more leverage he has in determining the scheduling of championship matches. Wrestlers can only enter the Pick Six Standings by defeating a ranked wrestler. An unranked wrestler that defeats a Pick Six Contender assumes that wrestler's rank and the other wrestlers all move down one rank. If a ranked wrestler defeats a higher seeded wrestler, the winner assumes that seeding in the Pick Six, while the losing wrestler and those ranked lower drop one rank. ROH later added more rules to the Pick Six, including the right to remove a wrestler from the ranking due to inactivity. This rule is known as the "Castagnoli Rule", after wrestler Claudio Castagnoli, who was stripped of his seeding. ROH later decreed that wrestlers in the Pick Six who receive and lose consecutive championship matches will be removed from the rankings.
I think tha

I just don't thing fancy the idea of fan voting at all. We'd probably see the same three or four guys getting voted up every month, and it would probably be a matter of time until 4chan spam-votes someone like Hornswaggle to be #1 contender.

K2Jelly
01-31-2011, 08:48 PM
It's funny because the style of ranking you gave us as an example is exactly the same as in Smackdown vs. RAW 2011.

RomanFlare
01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
It's funny because the style of ranking you gave us as an example is exactly the same as in Smackdown vs. RAW 2011.

And the one in that game sucks/is bloody confusing on my game. Like:

Sheamus (WWE 6) defeated Daniel Bryan (WWE 3). Sheamus ranks up to 3 after the match, Bryan is now 4, Jericho 5, CM Punk 6. But the next week, after Jericho and Punk are inactive for the week, it reverts back to Bryan 3, Jericho 4, Punk 5, Sheamus 6 :( So stupid.

Necroyeti
01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
I've never played a Smackdown vs. Raw game. In fact, I haven'y played a wrestling game since WWF Attitude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_Attitude)

One of these days, I may rent one.

Robstar
01-31-2011, 09:49 PM
Haha, I didn't know that about the game - that's just how they did it back then.

Necro, I too think the fan thing is a bad idea, not sure why I suggested it. ;/ The voting public are morons by and large

Lance Storm
01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
And the one in that game sucks/is bloody confusing on my game. Like:

Sheamus (WWE 6) defeated Daniel Bryan (WWE 3). Sheamus ranks up to 3 after the match, Bryan is now 4, Jericho 5, CM Punk 6. But the next week, after Jericho and Punk are inactive for the week, it reverts back to Bryan 3, Jericho 4, Punk 5, Sheamus 6 :( So stupid.

Or if you throw Triple H or Undertaker on any roster. They automatically catapult to the top. I had to get rid of both of them.

RomanFlare
01-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Or if you throw Triple H or Undertaker on any roster. They automatically catapult to the top. I had to get rid of both of them.

I solved it by making Smackdown the terrible brand. Title changes so regularly it sucks. But its Taker, Botchtista, HBK, Cena, Edge, etc. All the old farts.

Rich Cranium
01-31-2011, 10:35 PM
Haha, I didn't know that about the game - that's just how they did it back then.

Necro, I too think the fan thing is a bad idea, not sure why I suggested it. ;/ The voting public are morons by and large

There is no voting public, just look at Cyber Sunday!

RomanFlare
02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
There is no voting public, just look at Cyber Sunday!

Remember when Cyber Sunday had a Triple Threat between King Booka, Big Show, and Cena? Ah, those were the.... days?

The Brown One
02-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Remember when Cyber Sunday had a Triple Threat between King Booka, Big Show, and Cena? Ah, those were the.... days?

That wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I disliked(and still dislike) Cena, and Big Show's wrestling. Having all 3 titles on the line was awesome though.