PDA

View Full Version : tony schiavone

westy
08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Just seen Tony Schiavone on TNA was a few years ago but it was a good angle with Mike Tenay.

I for one was a fan of Tony and Booby Heenan from the WCW days.

I know Tenay and Taz work well but I for one would love to see Tony as part of the announce team.

Would you?

Bodom
08-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Just seen Tony Schiavone on TNA was a few years ago but it was a good angle with Mike Tenay.

I for one was a fan of Tony and Booby Heenan from the WCW days.

I know Tenay and Taz work well but I for one would love to see Tony as part of the announce team.

Would you?

Dear god no. TNA is already WCW-lite. Plus if TNA is serious about the youth movement and wanting to change their product, they need a new voice of TNA and not Schiavone.

Speaking of Tenay, he needs to go as well. He's not believable and I just cringe everytime he open's his mouth.

westy
08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
haha yeah I know Tony would make us all believe that TNA is just WCW. I was never a fan of Tenay in WCW nor am I in TNA. I thought Hudson was better in WCW. I would like to see a 3 man announce team.

Bodom
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I doubt it ever happening but they need JR.

Nuff said.

westy
08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree, JR would be great. He still wants to announce, but he loves WWE too much :(

MarcusMiller84
08-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Joey Styles :)

Necroyeti
08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Joey Styles :)
This. So very this.
Why WWE has this man working behind a computer while putting clowns like Todd Grisham on commentary is a total mystery to me.

Mikestang
08-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Good God NO! That guy was a giant lame ass. He called every move that he didn't know the name of (which were almost all of them) a Sidewalk Slam and is the poster boy for talking over the action by plugging the next PPV or the main story lines.

Bodom
08-16-2010, 03:50 PM
This. So very this.
Why WWE has this man working behind a computer while putting clowns like Todd Grisham on commentary is a total mystery to me.

It's where Styles wants to be and its a sweet high paying job. If I was Styles i'd take the desk job over being yelled at my Vince for 2 hours straight over anything.

Although I feel bad for Styles after the Danielson leak

Mazza
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Never really rated Schivone!
I would like to see a 3 man team, with Don West back as the heel he was before Taz came in! He was a riot, like Jesse Ventura and bobby Heenan used to be in their prime!
Before anyone jumps down my throat. I'm not saying he's as good as they were, but it was refreshing to have a decent heel play-by-play guy!

ch.brooks24
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I voted yes only becuase Tenay is awful. There are times during matches where announcers actually enhance whats happening in the ring. Tenay does the opposite. He misses big spots and his timing is off.

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Tony Schiavone is one of the all time greats for play by play in my opinion, but his peak was in the late 80s, for four years between 88-92 he was sensational but after that I personally feel he lost a lot of his passion, he replaced passion with forced excitement during the Monday Night Wars and for me it simply didn't work.

Everytime something happened it was "The greatest night in WCW history" or "The Biggest win in his career" or "The most monumental event to happen in Pro Wrestling" and you know its just not!

I love Schiavone but unless he is partnered by Jesse Ventura and its 1989 again then I don't think he is worth listening to, that said, if he did have his passion back I'd have him in a heartbeat before Tenay

THEKEVINBRAND
08-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Tony Schiavone just had something in his voice that makes me wanna put the tv on mute and watch the actual wrestling. Now i know JR is a wwe guy but he can at least tell a story and put the wrestler over and so would Joey Styles. There are people who are made for the job and some are just not.

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Jim Ross lost a lot of his passion as well though, to be fair, I'm not sure if he lost it or was told to tone it down, but the way he commentated in 1998 was a far cry from the way he'd do things in 2008, I feel at his peak, Tony Schiavone was one of the best in his field but when he lost his passion he became a parody of himself and eventually sold himself short by trying to hard to sound interested

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
08-24-2010, 11:27 AM
i woudnt mind him in tna i prefer him over tenay tenay isnt the best isnt the best with tazz i think he was good with don west but i think schiavone would be better working with him if tna where to get him

jwt15
08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I said no because Taz/Tenay are the best at what they do together they have great chemistry calling the matches and is greatest teams I've seen since King/Lawlar and Hennan/Monnson they play of each other and make it enjoyable to watch

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't stand Tenay at all, I feel his complete lack of emotion ruins a lot of what TNA are trying to sell to the viewer, things like when Samoa Joe got abducted and he barely sold it, although its scripted he announces like he knows everything before the viewer and I feel its a major downside to an otherwise hot product

westy
08-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I can't stand Tenay at all, I feel his complete lack of emotion ruins a lot of what TNA are trying to sell to the viewer, things like when Samoa Joe got abducted and he barely sold it, although its scripted he announces like he knows everything before the viewer and I feel its a major downside to an otherwise hot product

Yes yes yes, I agree 100% with you there. Taz does a good job of at least making me look forward to a lot of the show, but Tenay I feel doesn't really care or show any real emotion, or love :(

WFâ„¢ - Original Member!
08-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah I wouldn't say he doesn't care, I think he does care a lot of what the company are doing, I just don't feel he has the ability to just let himself go and announce from the heart as if he is watching everything unfold spontaneously

Rangers_Chosen_Hun
08-25-2010, 10:41 AM
tenay was good with don west even though they would go over the top with there matches at times lol but he sucks with tazz schiavone would be much better suited i think or jr if he where ever to go to tna which i highly doubt

THEKEVINBRAND
08-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Taz made a perfect transition from ECW's resident badass to one of the most highly praised color commentators in pro wrestling right now

westy
08-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I think it's like what another member said, Tony is the voice of WCW. I was a big fan of WCW and so I would love to see and hear him come back. But now Tenay is the voice of TNA and unless something major happens I guess he will stay :(