PDA

View Full Version : attitude era vs wwe today

the game
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
this as been on my mind for a while,while i loved watching the wwe in the attitude era i do think that todays wrestlers are better than the guys like rock/austin,yeah they cut amazing promos and was very entertaining but were there skills better than bryan or del rio,i dont think so,we all go on about cena and orton having a few moves,the rock and austin were the same but because of the promos they cut they seem to have been let off the hook,these are just my thoughts and what does everyone else think?

The Brown One
01-26-2011, 06:07 PM
IMO:
*The Attitude Era had better promos, because the wrestlers were allowed to cut loose on the mic, and swear, which got big pops. And the great promo cutters were allowed to be themselves out there, and break away from the script when they want to. T
The PG Era obviously doesn't have much swearing, and so the profanity is replaced with words that a 10 year old can understand, and for the adults, that doesn't sit well with us. Also, its harder to get wrestlers who are just natural talkers, because even given a chance, they won't deliver as much as expected.

*The PG Era has better wrestling than the Attitude Era. Sure the Attitude Era had matches with the (now) veterans, who were in their prime back then, and you got great matches with The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Eddie Guerrero. But now we have more wrestlers who put on good matches, instead of the few vets that I mentioned above. Kofi, Swagger, Christian, Alberto Del Rio, Cody Rhodes, Daniel Bryan, Kaval(yes I know hes released), John Morrison, Tyler Black, Sheamus, Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel, Wade Barrett, CM Punk, Evan Bourne, and Drew Mcintyre.

SaberToothTigerz
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
i think wrestling fans live in the past for too long

justin sane
01-26-2011, 06:13 PM
as Punk says, we all need to EVOLVE

Necroyeti
01-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey look, it's this thread again

roshi86
01-26-2011, 06:27 PM
True. But the promos back then were way better. You felt the anger and excitement that they were conveying. especially the rock and stone cold. and what about the factions back then? they had swagger, they were confident that they could beat anyone and it showed in their promos and body language. The nexus and core with their standing in a straight line and sober faces just doesnt cut it. they act like they dont belong. DX and the wolfpac could take over a show. im not saying i want the old guys back, but todays wrestlers need to take notes.

ToWhomItConcerns.
01-26-2011, 06:34 PM
i don't think theres anything wrong with "living in the past" (as far as wrestlings concerned)

personally i'd rather watch stuff from the 90s (including stuff before the attitude era) as opposed to stuff from today. why? because i don't wanna waste my time watching stuff that is about as entertaining as an episode of Dora the Explorer and i know i know its so terrible to a large part of the IWC to like the attitude era and dislike the PG era but thats just my opinion. and don't get me wrong i'm not opposed to the PG era, i don't not like it cause its PG i don't like it cause it sucks.

the 90s were just really great to me. the first half of the decade there was great wrestling, a bit cheesy at times but still overall great. then for the attitude era part it was just so damn entertaining. i didn't like it cause of the blood, sex and violence i liked it cause there were so many great moments, so many great gimmicks. i remember back then if there was a backstage segment or a in-ring interview you'd be watching because you knew something big was gonna be said or done...nowadays you kinda wanna turn cause you know its just a waste of time...just like the rest of the PG era. and i'll say it again i don't not like this era cause its PG i don't like it cause it sucks.

The Brown One
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
The PG era brings better wrestling, as opposed to the Attitude era. People mostly liked the Attitude era, because of the promos. They are forgetting about the wrestling. That should be the main focus of watching wrestling, not some guy mouthing off to another guy for 10 minutes.

roshi86
01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
But its wrestling ENTERTAINMENT. i think they are both equally important. i would not want to watch just a guy talking to another guy for an entire show and i dont want to watch wrestling with no back story

Stinger187
01-26-2011, 07:13 PM
It has nothing to do with mic skills or PG it has to do with stories back then stories played out over time there was build up. Today not so much the writers have A.D.D.

Lowki
01-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Better promos, more risk in matches which added to the entertainment in my eyes.
I used to love the brutality of Hell in a Cell and hardcore matches.
There were a lot of backstage brawls/attacks which, i dunno why, but i loved -.-
I guess PG pushed the envelope a bit and nothing was too far! Now, "ass" is as far as it goes.
2001-2005 was the best 'wrestling' era.

I guess the attitude had that air of unpredictablity about it. Anyone could do, or say, anything! Anyone could jump ship from WCW or ECW. New wrestlers were built up through vignettes and promos (Tazz for example). Who could forget the people jumping ship and how shocking it was at the time: Jericho, Taz, Radicalz etc. Also the lack of spoilers definitely helped the attitude era! Dirt sheets are great, but i really wish i'd never found them lol =/

2bluntsup
01-26-2011, 08:43 PM
i think wrestling fans live in the past for too long
indeed!!!!

RomanFlare
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I'm tired of these threads. I don't go back and watch "I Love Lucy" instead of the sitcoms on today. Hell, I can't even watch the Old (1990s) simpsons episodes or the first few seasons of South Park. Old sucks.

Any person who complains about the current WWE, and longs for the old Attitude Era, doesn't appreciate the talents that are Punk, Bryan Danielson, Sheamus, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Wade Barrett, etc. Move on? Move on.

Stinger187
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm tired of these threads. I don't go back and watch "I Love Lucy" instead of the sitcoms on today. Hell, I can't even watch the Old (1990s) simpsons episodes or the first few seasons of South Park. Old sucks.

Any person who complains about the current WWE, and longs for the old Attitude Era, doesn't appreciate the talents that are Punk, Bryan Danielson, Sheamus, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Wade Barrett, etc. Move on? Move on.

The only problem I have it the stories don't have time to bloom into something we could get into!

Nexus4Life
01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
The only problem I have it the stories don't have time to bloom into something we could get into!

I agree, back in the attuide era the story lines were made last over a few months like triple h vs stone cold from SummerSlam 01 until No Way Out 01.
now we get 3 ppv matches and that's it with very little built up... apart from Nexus/Cena and Undertaker/Kane...

CobraNightviper
01-26-2011, 10:41 PM
yeah now days feuds barely last a month or so I guess it's because kids have short attention spands.

CobraNightviper
01-26-2011, 10:43 PM
I think the storylines will repeat themself anyway just minus the profanity and diffrent wrestlers.
indeed!!!!

CobraNightviper
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM
how many times has this been done already it's like the tna of blogs those days are over and we will never get them back so it's time to move on.
Hey look, it's this thread again

SaberToothTigerz
01-27-2011, 06:58 AM
yeah now days feuds barely last a month or so I guess it's because kids have short attention spands.

that could be a reason
valid point there buddy
as kids like cartoons bcuz of their fast pace action same goes for wrestling
but wwe still builds up good storylines so pops to the creative team for that
however i find myself looking rather confused at tna's storylines because once in a while they make matches that have no absolute sense whatsoever

Stinger187
01-27-2011, 07:40 AM
that could be a reason
valid point there buddy
as kids like cartoons bcuz of their fast pace action same goes for wrestling
but wwe still builds up good storylines so pops to the creative team for that
however i find myself looking rather confused at tna's storylines because once in a while they make matches that have no absolute sense whatsoever

Totally agree with the tna matches! Tommy Dreamer vs Jeff Hardy? What the $&@?

SaberToothTigerz
01-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Totally agree with the tna matches! Tommy Dreamer vs Jeff Hardy? What the $&@?

yea I know right?

Stinger187
01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
There was plenty of guys in the back that would have made more sence than that!