PDA

View Full Version : The WWE Championship --What Happened?

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-23-2011, 03:58 AM
This Championship holds lineage, it hold distinguishing honor, it holds.... absolutely NOTHING!!

Why do you ask?? Vince Russo. That's why. And because of him, it'll NEVER be looked at the same way again. Until he came aboard and basically said "It's a prop." The head honchos over at THE 'E actually cared about who represented their company. They cared about the lineage, the prestige. For the last 14 years that Championship has been reduced to just a shoulder piece. No Champion wears it proudly on their waste. No Champion seems like they truly appreciate it. It feels less organic then it did when Shawn Michaels "Finally realized his boyhood dream!"

Now, these guys get pushed to the moon and even though the love the business it feels like they don't even care. The Last Champion I truly appreciated as Champion was Brock Lesnar. That man wore it right, had the right manager, had the right feel. And even though he doesn't appreciate the business as much as Cena, that look and expression on his face when he won it says it all. Take Brock's reaction and then look at The Miz's reaction.

And in all honesty, even though "Stone Cold" threw it around the ring and beat as many people up as he could with it, it still felt like an extension of him, like it was him. Russo couldn't stop him from being him with that Championship. Now look at it.

It's gaudy, ugly and a fucking joke. They play musical Championship every 3 to 6 months and it's becoming so predictable that it's not even funny. Since 2009 I'm betting that Championship changed hands at least 8 or 9 times. Easy. Maybe even more. Hell, I know since 2008 its been WELL over 20 times. That in itself is horrible when you think about how long some of the previous Championship reigns lasted. I know, it's a different generation and unless you choose someone quickly to become a new Champion, people will get Goldfish syndrome on you.

I'm sorry that this post went on like it did but, I'm just sick and tired of the Championship being used the way it is. It doesn't feel right....

Kashdinero
01-23-2011, 04:19 AM
Well put (R)ob.

The last time that title had any real prestige was during Cenas 2006-2007 reign, during which he had some Damn fine matches, which ended after he was injured in a match with "The Walking Accident" Mr Kennedy.
As for the Fisher Price spinning "prop", I reckon as long as Cena's in the Title picture, it's not going anywhere fast! Saying that, I do think it looks quite good on The Miz, Edge wore it well too!..... Randy did not wear it well, the damn thing just never suited his Generic Wrestler look.

The Brown One
01-23-2011, 04:28 AM
We need someone whos a great wrestler, who really deserves to win it, after being around for quite a while, and of course, proving himself to be WWE championship material. The Miz has worked hard the past several years to become the success that he is today, but hes still not a good wrestler, just like Cena.

I want to see great wrestling from the WWE champ, and his competitors, but that isn't happening nowadays, with the only people in the title picture being Randy, and The Miz. I like long title reigns, and having a year long feud, but the WWE can't pull off a great year long feud like they used to anymore. Its run its course, and I like seeing challenger after challenger for the title(those who deserve it of course). I really can't stand that belt. The Miz looks weird holding it, and even weirder in a suit..because it looks like hes an important person, but his image is diminished by holding what looks like a toy.

Incubus_99
01-23-2011, 05:30 AM
i really got behind the Miz until he won the Championship...i was really happy he did too...but somehow I feel hes lost the fizz...i don't see the dedication as much as he had earlier...just my opinion...

HeelTurn
01-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Thats one of my wrestling pet peves, when someone wins a belt but looks like they dont care. On the subject of the ugly former spinner belt, doesnt the WWE have a belt already made, they just havent used it yet.

Rick BoA
01-23-2011, 05:59 AM
I agree. For me the last man to wear that title like he was meant to was Either JBL, Batista or HHH.
I hate it when the title switches hands multiple times in one night. I just dont think it looks good, and calling someone a former wwe champion when they have a 10 minute reign is rediclous. Look at Kane for example, he lost the title the night after he won it. who's bright idea was that?
And why can 1 champ not have a 2 month program with one guy, then another guy? all it has been is 2 people in the title picture until it switches hands, then it starts all over again.

Honestly for me the last good title feud was the matt hardy v mvp for the us title. that was a damn good feud.

I did a little research, the last time the wwe title was held for over 3 months was in 2008. Terrible.

CMhuw24
01-23-2011, 06:04 AM
I beleive that in 2011 they will try and make it prestigous again, and im guessing after the Miz loses it to a big name (Orton,Cena or HHH) that superstar will hold the title for a while.

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-23-2011, 06:25 AM
I believe that in 2011 they will try and make it prestigious again, and I'm guessing after the Miz loses it to a big name (Orton,Cena or HHH) that superstar will hold the title for a while.

I'd LOVE to believe that. I really, truly would. But, this is THE 'E. They like to plan their shocks with MiTB now. And with many other competitors in the ring as well. I can't tell you the last time except for WMXXVI (Cena/Batista) where someone won the Champion CLEAN in the ring without 2, 3, 4 or 5 other people involved. Or a table, ladder, chair, anything like that. That was almost one year ago that someone was pinned CLEAN in the ring after a legitimate one on one bout. That Championship (Although won by Cena) was EARNED! And even before that match I think there was like, a year and a half gap between one on one clean victories. This topic angers me so fucking much....

jethro
01-23-2011, 07:09 AM
I too like to watch long title reign,but WWE known for switching title within 2 month,as The Miz said I really hope he'll hold the title for a long long time and i dont want another Orton or Cena reign.

I also prefer champion wore the title around their waist more often instead putting the title around their shoulder.

North Vegas Benny
01-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I beleive that in 2011 they will try and make it prestigous again, and im guessing after the Miz loses it to a big name (Orton,Cena or HHH) that superstar will hold the title for a while.

(fingers crossed) please be HHH oh please be HHH !!!!!!

Mikeyboy7777777
01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
i want to see how john morrison would react and wear the wwe championship oh wait what? he lost again got pushed to the side again by orton what a f'ing surprise

Saiga
01-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Well put (R)ob.

The last time that title had any real prestige was during Cenas 2006-2007 reign, during which he had some Damn fine matches, which ended after he was injured in a match with "The Walking Accident" Mr Kennedy.
As for the Fisher Price spinning "prop", I reckon as long as Cena's in the Title picture, it's not going anywhere fast! Saying that, I do think it looks quite good on The Miz, Edge wore it well too!..... Randy did not wear it well, the damn thing just never suited his Generic Wrestler look.

cena only had good matches because he had good opponents that could wrestle & had better wrestling psychology than him. randy orton didnt hold the belt well but he probably had way more good matches than cena did n at least randy orton could wrestle and hold his own. i actually enjoyed his first wwe championship reign but the rest were a joke. and the fact he helt the belt mostly as a heel didnt help give the championship a good image.

akgator1
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah Mikey, I think Morrisson is the guy that needs the strap. Hes great in the ring and if they would give him a better character he could shine on the mic. WWE is just pathetic as far as storylines, they give up on things waaaayyy too soon. You need good builds to make people excited about PPV events. I also think they make too many matches against the same people right before their PPV match. Back in the old days you wouldnt see the competitor go one on one against each other until the PPV match and to me that kept the luster on it. Yeah they may be in a tag match with someone against their opponent on Raw the week of the PPV but now to me they took away that excitement. I dont want to see them have a match 6 days before they go at it at PPV.

As far as the championship, yeah the luster is gone. The prestige of the belt just isnt there anymore. It changes hands too frequently, a good champ needs to have at minimum a 6 month reign. The Miz is a damn joke as champion, hes not good in the ring and I think hes overrated on the mic, he doesnt bring anything fresh to the scene. I would respect Alex Riley as champ more than this chump. I actually like the belt now, I think the spinner is gay, but this version is good to me. I wouldnt expect it to change for a while either, I saw an old interview with HHH that said there was a long toy contract with Mattel so until thats dead she aint changin.

Saiga
01-23-2011, 09:48 AM
i'd like to see jack swagger hold the wwe championship. with his background he could have a good program with fantastic matches but wwe already screwed him when the threw the world championship on him last year and it did him no good.

CobraNightviper
01-23-2011, 11:36 AM
there hasn't been any luster to any world titles(wwe or tna)in quite a while now god it's depressing.

Lowki
01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Let the miz/ Heel edge hold the title for a long time. Let the fans hate them and want them to lose. Babyfaces are way too strong and storylines too short. The thing people started hating about cena was that he'd have a year long fued with edge, and the title would change between them every few months. It's no fun when you can predict a title change. Good post.

SevenCagedTigers
01-23-2011, 12:30 PM
It's gaudy, ugly and a fucking joke. They play musical Championship every 3 to 6 months and it's becoming so predictable that it's not even funny. Since 2009 I'm betting that Championship changed hands at least 8 or 9 times. Easy. Maybe even more. Hell, I know since 2008 its been WELL over 20 times.

With regards to the number of title changes, I prefer what we have now over the nearly year-long title reigns of the past. When JBL and HHH were champion for nearly a year, it became stale and boring to me. It makes PPV's predictable and it lowers the buy rate when you know nothings gonna change. But with frequent title changes, it creates an aura of unpredictability. Just look at how many new championship reigns we were able to see this past year. Seamus, The Miz, and even Jack Swagger. All of those guys have been elevated this year due to the frequent title changes. And they were able to defeat notable champions in Cena, Orton and Jericho as well.

I agree that the belt itself is a sick joke, I see no reason why guys like Seamus, Miz and even Orton had to carry around that ugly thing. But as far as the championship reigns themselves, I think they served to elevate some good talent.

xtremetothemax
01-23-2011, 02:58 PM
With regards to the number of title changes, I prefer what we have now over the nearly year-long title reigns of the past. When JBL and HHH were champion for nearly a year, it became stale and boring to me. It makes PPV's predictable and it lowers the buy rate when you know nothings gonna change. But with frequent title changes, it creates an aura of unpredictability. Just look at how many new championship reigns we were able to see this past year. Seamus, The Miz, and even Jack Swagger. All of those guys have been elevated this year due to the frequent title changes. And they were able to defeat notable champions in Cena, Orton and Jericho as well.

I agree that the belt itself is a sick joke, I see no reason why guys like Seamus, Miz and even Orton had to carry around that ugly thing. But as far as the championship reigns themselves, I think they served to elevate some good talent.

Dude i think the wwe championship design isnt that bad. Ok it might not be a title that looks good on some people, but im sure most people would prefer the wwe championship to a purple piece of crap.

nrb6304
01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
I have a quick question.

HOW DID VINCE RUSSO PLAY INTO ANY OF THIS????
like really?

When Russo was in the WWF look at the champions they had: HBK,Steve Austin,undertaker,the rock,triple h,mankind,kane. So
Everyone of those guys will be in the hall of fame...well maybe not Kane....but everybody else will. And that was thanks to russo

The Brown One
01-23-2011, 03:42 PM
i'd like to see jack swagger hold the wwe championship. with his background he could have a good program with fantastic matches but wwe already screwed him when the threw the world championship on him last year and it did him no good.

Swagger won't be WWE champion for a very long time for reasons:

1) Kane just made history, by being the only WWE wrestler to hold the ECW, WHC, and WWE championship, and hes been around for several years. So I don't think they would give that to Swagger, to hasn't been around all that long. All he needs is the WWE title, and then he would have all 3.

2) WWE lost faith in Swagger for some reason.

Saiga
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Swagger won't be WWE champion for a very long time for reasons:

1) Kane just made history, by being the only WWE wrestler to hold the ECW, WHC, and WWE championship, and hes been around for several years. So I don't think they would give that to Swagger, to hasn't been around all that long. All he needs is the WWE title, and then he would have all 3.

2) WWE lost faith in Swagger for some reason.

i guess what u say about kane might be true but jack swagger has a hell of a lot more potential than kane. plus, i dont think kane's entire run as world champion run was all that great and dandy but it was good he held the belt for more than a day. it baffles me that guys like brock lesnar and kurt angle were pushed to the moon yet a talented guy like jack swagger doesn't get the same treatment. swagger has what it takes to ascend to the top with a quick push even if it means holding the ecw, world title & wwe championships and making history.

tchulv1331
01-23-2011, 07:28 PM
First, I believe Big Show has also held the WWE, ECW, and WCW Championships.

But on topic: frequent title changes are not bad when they are effective. Miz's title reign was very effective. It actually had a point. But when it keeps going from Cena to Orton and back and forth like that feud did, the title changes are irrelevant.

Saiga
01-23-2011, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=tchulv1331;60896]First, I believe Big Show has also held the WWE, ECW, and WCW Championships.

i was referring to wwe's version of the world heavyweight championship (a title that big show has yet to win).

Lance Storm
01-24-2011, 12:06 AM
The look on Orton face when he won the World Title at Summerslam 2004 was what it means to be given the reigns of the company. The same goes for CM Punk when he cashed in along with The Miz.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
This Championship holds lineage, it hold distinguishing honor, it holds.... absolutely NOTHING!!

Why do you ask?? Vince Russo. That's why. And because of him, it'll NEVER be looked at the same way again. Until he came aboard and basically said "It's a prop." The head honchos over at THE 'E actually cared about who represented their company. They cared about the lineage, the prestige. For the last 14 years that Championship has been reduced to just a shoulder piece. No Champion wears it proudly on their waste. No Champion seems like they truly appreciate it. It feels less organic then it did when Shawn Michaels "Finally realized his boyhood dream!"

Now, these guys get pushed to the moon and even though the love the business it feels like they don't even care. The Last Champion I truly appreciated as Champion was Brock Lesnar. That man wore it right, had the right manager, had the right feel. And even though he doesn't appreciate the business as much as Cena, that look and expression on his face when he won it says it all. Take Brock's reaction and then look at The Miz's reaction.

And in all honesty, even though "Stone Cold" threw it around the ring and beat as many people up as he could with it, it still felt like an extension of him, like it was him. Russo couldn't stop him from being him with that Championship. Now look at it.

It's gaudy, ugly and a fucking joke. They play musical Championship every 3 to 6 months and it's becoming so predictable that it's not even funny. Since 2009 I'm betting that Championship changed hands at least 8 or 9 times. Easy. Maybe even more. Hell, I know since 2008 its been WELL over 20 times. That in itself is horrible when you think about how long some of the previous Championship reigns lasted. I know, it's a different generation and unless you choose someone quickly to become a new Champion, people will get Goldfish syndrome on you.

I'm sorry that this post went on like it did but, I'm just sick and tired of the Championship being used the way it is. It doesn't feel right....

I agree with you about the changing hands deal..... It does change hands way too much.... but oyu have to admit its getting a hell of alot better than it was when it was litterally changing hands every month... i remember in 2 monthes it changed 5 times with Rock and Foley. now Cena keeps it for 5 or 6 monthes, Orton had a lenthy run, i beileve Cena had a 9 month run, HHH had a lenthy run a few times....

But you claim Russo destroyed the belt but the examples you say of the last true champions that showed respect for the title is Austin (Russo was writting for WWE back then) and Russo cant be blamed for what WWE did in the last 12 years cause he wasnt in the company.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-24-2011, 02:55 AM
The look on Orton face when he won the World Title at Summerslam 2004 was what it means to be given the reigns of the company. The same goes for CM Punk when he cashed in along with The Miz.

The Look on Beniots Face at Wrestlemania was the most emtional title win Ever, thats the kinda reaction they need to make it seem important, or Eddie Guerreo in his win

the wrestling shade
01-24-2011, 03:40 AM
I have a quick question.

HOW DID VINCE RUSSO PLAY INTO ANY OF THIS????
like really?

When Russo was in the WWF look at the champions they had: HBK,Steve Austin,undertaker,the rock,triple h,mankind,kane. So
Everyone of those guys will be in the hall of fame...well maybe not Kane....but everybody else will. And that was thanks to russo
I dont think so because if you can remember when russo was in the WWF he was doing good but when he went to WCW he screwed everything up why do you think that happen?!?! easy!!! vince mcmahon... in the WWF russo used to come up with ideas that were realy good but also most of them probably were unrealistic or doesnt make sense or maybe it would take time for the fans to understand them and so... vince mcmahon was like a filter for russo's ideas, being the headwriter that mcmahon is, he would take those ideas and make them look realistic and appropriate ofcaurse with the help of others
P.S : quoting chris jericho in the rise and fall of wcw

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in the first post. I called Vince Russo into it because HE was the one who initally used the phrase:

"The Belts Are Just Props, It Doesn't Matter Who Has Them."

Ever since that quote was uttered, it changed the way THE 'E forever looked at Championship reigns. Regardless of him being with the company or not. It was his phrase that turned into a Butterfly Effect later on.

The Brown One
01-24-2011, 06:17 AM
The Look on Beniots Face at Wrestlemania was the most emtional title win Ever, thats the kinda reaction they need to make it seem important, or Eddie Guerreo in his win

That was one of my favorite moments in wrestling. Benoits, and Eddie's respective world title wins were what a celebration of winning your first world title should look like. Now compare that to the ones we get now, with the new world champion walking to the back after 5 minutes into their celebration.

First, I believe Big Show has also held the WWE, ECW, and WCW Championships.

But on topic: frequent title changes are not bad when they are effective. Miz's title reign was very effective. It actually had a point. But when it keeps going from Cena to Orton and back and forth like that feud did, the title changes are irrelevant.

I never said anything about the WCW title. I know Big Show has won those 3 that you said, but Kane has won the 3 that I said, which were the ones that I were reffering to.