PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lawler...2011 Royal Rumble Winner?

himfandelux
01-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Last night I began my own little countdown to one of my favorite events of the year, the Royal Rumble. I watched both 96' and 97', the first won by Shawn Michaels, the second by Steve Austin. In 1996, Lawler hid under the ring for almost 20 minutes before Shawn Michaels finally pulled him out and properly eliminated him. In 1997, he got up from the announcers table and said "It takes a king...", went into the ring, was eliminated in about 5 seconds, walked back to the announce table and said "To know a king."

I started thinking. With the angle between Miz/Lawler/Cole/Riley/Cena/Orton...it suddenly became clear to me that Jerry Lawler might actually be slated for a Royal Rumble win this year. The way I see it, if there were a proper end to this storyline, it would have to be at WrestleMania, and I'm just hoping that The Miz still holds the title by that time. Miz has his hands full the next two months, championship defense against Orton at Royal Rumble, and the Elimination Chamber in Feb...that leaves us in doubt as to who his opponent could be for WrestleMania...why not "The King" Jerry Lawler?

We all saw it before the TLC PPV on Raw, and it was a really good match in my opinion, for Lawler's age and his diminishing ability. I'm not going to put money on Lawler winning the Rumble, however, I wouldn't be disappointed if he did. Though, I'm sure HHH will come back and clean house, as we've seen happen with so many stars that were on the sideline who returned at the Rumble. I just think it would be a great way to have a huge 2 month build up to some sort of gimmick match at Mania, whether it be a Last Man Standing match, another Ladder match, Cole as the Special Ref (Which they're doing at house shows and dark matches).

I know many of you are going to make the argument that "Lawler Vs. The Miz at Mania isn't the big draw match that WWE is looking for." And you're right, it isn't a big draw. But it would be a good end to that storyline.

Comments welcome.

HeelTurn
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I think he will be in the Rumble, but not winning, I think the WWE is really trying to push the younger newer stars now, so King surely cant win, although he may eliminate Riley.

thejman93
01-20-2011, 02:34 PM
If creative were able to put together a stellar card around that match I don't think drawing people in would be a problem. King could win the title at WM, forfeit it the next night on RAW, and set up a tournament ending at the next PPV (Unforgiven right?)

K-Jammin
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
i dont see it, but you never know . . .

himfandelux
01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
No, I'm sure he won't win. I just think it would be nice if he did. Or at least have him in there as an actual competitor, not as a joke like in years past.

Rassling_Fan
01-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I actually prefer the Joke King in a rumble. I remember one time he was standing on one foot outside the ring to avoid being eliminated and it worked until he was knocked down.

SilverGhost
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Lol King winning the Royal Rumble would fit. Last 3 guys: Sheamus, Lawler, and HHH xD

Danny92
01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
No chance HHH would let that slide in creative last year was the first wrestlemania ,when he wasnt injured, since wrestlemania 17 that he wasn't in a title match.

steveorton
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I will never want to see that happen and I mean never ever, I'm jus sayin...

Adam Bomb II
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
I really enjoyed their main event at RAW as well, but for me Wrestlemania is the place where everyone steps up their game a notch or two, especially in the main events, and honestly I don't think (as much as I like Jerry) that the King has much more to offer in the ring than what he showed in the TLC match at RAW. I would love for him to make some kind of big impact on the Rumble, and to stay a key player in the Miz/Riley/Cole angle until and during Wrestlemania.

dres1214
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't think The King will win the rumble or even compete in the rumble, but I do have a feeling that some way he'll be part of Wrestlemania. I know its been discussed on a thread before, but i imagine King will retire this year or sometime along the near future and why not have a last match at Wrestlemania. Will it be for the WWE title, or just a gimmick match with Riley or Miz. Who know's....

vbirwin
01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
I can see Lawler in the Rumble or getting involved but not winning.

Seriously though, does anyone know why the sudden resurgence of Lawler as an active wrestler? I mean he did spots now and then but with this storyline he's been in the ring about every other Raw with the main event guys. I was wondering if maybe he was considering retiring altogether or something and thus they were giving him one last run. But I haven't heard anything.

Adam Bomb II
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
I can see Lawler in the Rumble or getting involved but not winning.

Seriously though, does anyone know why the sudden resurgence of Lawler as an active wrestler? I mean he did spots now and then but with this storyline he's been in the ring about every other Raw with the main event guys. I was wondering if maybe he was considering retiring altogether or something and thus they were giving him one last run. But I haven't heard anything.

I didn't know it either, but I was told elsewhere on the board that Jerry has been quite active since his "retirement" doing independent bookings and stuff, so maybe there's still a lot of gas left in the engine of good ol' King?

CobraNightviper
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
is Lawler even in the rumble?

drumgod
01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
The King will NOT win the rumble. We all know WADE BARRETT is going to with the rumble this year.

I dont like it either - but its what we are going to get..

Danny92
01-20-2011, 05:23 PM
The King will NOT win the rumble. We all know WADE BARRETT is going to with the rumble this year.

I dont like it either - but its what we are going to get..

I think Wade Barrett has to give a strong showing in the rumble to remain relevant but I don't think he will win it yet.

SaberToothTigerz
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
not gonna happen
wwe is investing in younger talent
giving something too big for lawler is just out of the question

CobraNightviper
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
no really is Lawler even in the rumble?

Adam Bomb II
01-20-2011, 05:46 PM

I don't think he has been officially added to the rumble, but my guess is with 40 participants and the current storyline with Miz and Cole, that there is a good chance that he will partcipate.

HeelTurn
01-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Only half the competitors have been announced, no King yet.

blackout version 1
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
This is one of the most annoying threads I have ever come across ! A Grandad wins the Royal Rumble ?? Here a reality check someone young will WIN and if you're not down with that i've got two words for you I'M AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

TheBeardOfZeus
01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
This is one of the most annoying threads I have ever come across ! A Grandad wins the Royal Rumble ?? Here a reality check someone young will WIN and if you're not down with that i've got two words for you I'M AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Wait, what?

And it's unlikely Lawler would win, but i do feel that it must be dissapointing to be reminded he hasn't been WWE Champ.

thejman93
01-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Ever? You've been here less than 3 weeks man...

Rich Cranium
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
King may be a participant but in no way will he win! ADR will win but you.......

The Brown One
01-20-2011, 08:45 PM
King may be a participant but in no way will he win! ADR will win but you.......

........already knew that.

I'd like Jerry to get a Wrestlemania moment though. Even if its a non-title match.

blackout version 1
01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I've been posting for 3 weeks doesn't mean i haven't read several of the treads . I've been using this site for wrestling news for almost 3 years ! So yes I can say as i please U MAD ?

C0ptje
01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
No fighting in here xD

But, i dont think he will win the Rumble, as much as i want it.
Maybe some of the younger talent OR Cena -.-
Hope not.. ;D

Stump
01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
It could happen. Let us say that lawler is the last entrant, and hes in there with A-ry, or Sheamus. JoMo could come out and interfere to help Lawler eliminate Sheamus. I DOUBT it. And it would be kind of a joke. Doesnt mean they WONT do it.

Iron Ape
01-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Since they've already let him pin their champion, they might as well go ahead and just have him break the streak, too.

steveorton
01-21-2011, 06:00 PM
King vs Cole for WM, I'm jus sayin...

Adam Bomb II
01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Since they've already let him pin their champion, they might as well go ahead and just have him break the streak, too.

That made me chuckle. I'm drunk, but it still made me chuckle.