PDA

View Full Version : Which rivalry was better: Stone Cold-The Rock or Undertaker-Kane?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Hello all, back again with another second round match-up for the greatest rivalries tournament, and I will be going back to back like I did last night, as I want to get all the match-ups in so we can move on to the next round. This match-up features 4 bonafide HOFers who were all (arguably) peaking around the same time. Austin and The Rock are perhaps two of the biggest names in wrestling and have what might be the most popular feud of all time going against each other. They've headlined multiple Wrestlemanias and countless other ppvs, yet their rivalry still remained fresh in the eyes and the hearts of the fans. However, was their rivalry better than Undertaker vs. Kane? Taker and Kane had this rivalry for well over a decade now, and I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that their feud was the best story there has ever been in wrestling. It wasn't simply two monsters going at each other to see who the big dog in town was, it was a program with an actual backstory to it (which is very rare believe it or not) and the WWE followed through on this story many a times.

I really want to post the match that Austin and Rock had at WM 17, but it got deleted on youtube and dailymotion, so sorry to everyone for not being able to post the video on here, but I did find a direct link so everyone can watch it by opening just another window. This was the most popular Rock/Austin match, so I was hellbent on posting it here.

http://vodpod.com/watch/458749-stone-cold-steve-austin-v-the-rock-at-wrestlemania-x-seven

Here is Kane's debut in the WWF. It's one of the coolest moments in wrestling history in my book. He was booked to be sooo strong back then. He really was unstoppable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lglG8khD2V4

My opinion:

Wrestling edge: Stone Cold vs. The Rock. Austin and Rock worked really well off of one another, and while neither one is what I would call an elite wrestler, they could both sell a story in the ring and are excellent ring psychologists. Undertaker vs. Kane were alright matches for what they were, but their feud is clearly more story based.

Promo edge: Tie. Obviously the mic work edge goes to Rock and Austin, but the story itself with Kane vs. Undertaker was equally as brilliant imo.

Longevity: Undertaker vs. Kane. Like i said before, these two guys have been fighting for over a decade now, and both of them reshaped their images enough to still keep it fresh. Even their recent installation in this feud was brilliantly executed by Kane. He really surprised me with his mic skills on that one.

"Holy shit" moments. Undertaker vs. Kane. This one was super close, but as I said in the first round, Kane's entire career is a "holy shit" moment. From his debut to all the inferno matches to Kane burying Undertaker alive (twice) and the Undertaker returning @ WM 20 as the Deadman to get revenge for the first burial to everything in between. It was all masterfully done imo. Rock and Austin surely had their holy shit moments too, but they were just few and far between when compared to Taker/Kane.

Impact: Stone Cold vs. The Rock. No brainer here. This was the feud of one of the most popular Eras in pro wrestling. Their feud brought in ratings, sold PPVs and merchandise, and it clearly shot both Austin and The Rock into instant stardom.

Overall: Stone Cold vs. The Rock. Undertaker and Kane had some truly awesome moments with one another, but they couldn't match the impact on the game that Austin and Rock did.

Kashdinero
01-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Nice research Sir. You've done a great job so far, keep up the good work!

Also, I hope your feeling better after your surgery.

I prefer to vote based on memory, and my initial reaction upon seeing the match ups.

I went with Rock-Austin.

The story of the Peoples Champ becoming the Corporate Champ, and the everyman, Steve Austin rising up to defy his Boss (once again) to take down his Chosen One, was priceless.

Often imitated and absolutely never (to be) duplicated, Rock and Austin had one of the most memorable WWF rivalries ever.

Taker-Kane lasted longer, but, for me, that's goes against it. Unfortunatley, I lost interest in their rivalry ages ago.

Tommy Thunder
01-17-2011, 07:26 AM
This one's mighty close for me, but I gotta go for Stone Cold vs The Rock. I think they had the promo edge, and these two guys were THE attitude era.

thejman93
01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
I went with SCSA-Rock because those two made the Attitude Era what it was. 'Taker-Kane has gone on for too damn long now if you ask me.

The Brown One
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
More people should do these polls, they're fun!
Its SSCA-The Rock for me. Taker-Kane was long, and I'm surprised that they are still keeping their feud alive to this day, but I feel that SSCA-Rock feud did more for wrestling, and had many more strong points. SSCA-Rock's matches weren't the best, but they were worth watching, since those 2 had the best chemistry with each other that you have ever seen. The promos, I would give to Taker-Kane, because they told a story that was almost magical. Taker and Kane could really make you believe their characters, and backstory. Taker and Kane also did scary, dangerous looking things to each other back then, so they take the cake in that isle. But overall, SSAC-The Rock defined the Attitude Era, so I had to go with that.

HeelTurn
01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Gonna go against the grain here an say Taker vs Kane. Taker was the guy who 1st got me into wrestling and although the Austin/Rock matches were better, I really enjoyed the storyline that went along with the Brothers of Destruction. Kane ripping his way through Hell in a Cell, Taker refusing to face his brother then the eventual clash at Mania, which saw Kane kick out of 2 Tombtsones. Then you had the 1st ever Inferno Match and Kane's betrayals of the Undertaker at numerous PPVS including burying him alive at Survivor Series 2003.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Rock and Austin officially take this one by a score of 8-1. They go on to the semi finals to face both E&C-Hardy Boyz-Dudley Boyz and Bret Hart-Owen Hart.