PDA

View Full Version : Most Overated Matches in Wrestling History

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Im not saying these matches are not good or Great in fact but the point is they are way over Rated and are rated highly cause of storylines or cause of the emotion of the moment but no matter here they are my top 5.

5. Randy Orton vs Mick Foley Backlash
Good Brawl, nothing Great or out of the ordinary, Mick Foley called it his favorite match and i can honestly think of about 10 matches Foley was in that put this to shame.... I can think of a few Orton matches that were also much better..... Great Storyline and a Amazing job by Foley in his promos, Storyline this one one of Foleys best but the match didnt live up to expectations.

4.Jeff Jarrtt vs Shawn Michaels IYH IC Title match
Decent match at best, But people calling this match 5 stars is insane more like 3... i can understand overating matches like Tully and Magnum TA cause of the storyline and cause it was considered brutal by those day standerds.. but this match had no story to it, it was just a match that people claim was so good it was 5 stars on performance alone and that is far from the case.

3. Undertaker Vs Shawn Michaels WM 25 and 26
Dont get me wrong i think 25 was a much better match than 26 but 26 was a much better storyline, promo work and hype..... But this is not the best match of ALL TIME, i wouldnt considered it in my top 10.... it was more like you do your finishing move to me, i kick out, then i do mine, then you kick out..... They went for there trade mark moves the last 10 mins of the match constantly..... it was too dependant on missing and duckign finishing moves then hitting yours... it was a great exciting match, im not saying its a bad match.... but to even call it the best Wrestlemania match is insane.... in a World where Bret Hart and Owen Hart had a 5 star calssic at Wrestlemania 10, Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon had a ladder match that change wrestling, Austin and Hart would set wrestling on fire with there amazing submsission match at wm 13, Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels would go to a amazing 60 min draw and over time in a Iron man match, Shawn Michaels, HHH and Chris Benoit would have one of the best performed, emtional and incredible matches that you can have at WrestleMania 20 and Rock and Austins intesne Brawl with great past Austin nostalgic moments. How can you realistically call these matches the best Mania matches of all time? on top of that the greatest match of all times.

2. Angle vs Michaels
I see alot of people calling this the Greatest match Ever, but honestl i wouldnt even call this the best Angle match ever...... ITs a great match, it was intense, well done in every aspect, had its amazing moments, it kept you guessing who was gonna win but with all that going for it it doesnt deserve the credentals people are giving it, there is a huge diffrence between great and best ever.

1. Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat WrestWar 89
Its a good match but its very dated, and the big Problem i have with this match is it felt like they shortened a hour match to 30 mins or so, it felt like something missing.... but the thing that makes me wanna bang my head in a cement wall is How is this The Greatest match EVER when there 2/3 fall match blew this one away a few monthes earlier, that match in the series should be argued as the Greatest match Ever not this one, this is not even the 2nd best in there series...... Tell me the 2/3 Flar and Steamboat match was the best ever i can understand but this one even though its good just doesnt hold a candle to it

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
HBK Vs Bret Hart: WMXII. 60 minute Iron Man Match. Boring as fuck!

The Brown One
01-16-2011, 02:07 AM
The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels matches aeren't the best WM matches ever. Theyr'e right up there with the top.

Robstar
01-16-2011, 02:16 AM
I like how you mentioned the Steamboat/Flair match. It was a marathon but not so special. A lot of Iron Man matches contained a lot of both players laying around a lot due to 'exhaustion' and only bursts of action. And hey, Flair had to stretch those every match moves out a bit. I remember also he did a lot of running away.

On topic? Anything with Goldberg.

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 02:19 AM

All of them.

The Brown One
01-16-2011, 02:32 AM
I like how you mentioned the Steamboat/Flair match. It was a marathon but not so special. A lot of Iron Man matches contained a lot of both players laying around a lot due to 'exhaustion' and only bursts of action. And hey, Flair had to stretch those every match moves out a bit. I remember also he did a lot of running away.

Damn right. All I can remember are that his matches were squashes.

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 02:51 AM

Goldberg FTW

Robstar
01-16-2011, 02:54 AM
Goldberg FTW

*shakes head at Kashdinero* ;)

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 03:19 AM
You know what, I'm going on record and saying this... One of my most OVERRATED matches in history was Sting VS. Hogan @ Starrcade 1997!!!!

They botched the entire match, botched the ending completely, and made both of them look like retards after ALL of that build-up. That was the major thing in 1997 along with Hart leaving WWF and then coming out to finish the match and whatnot... it was all a clusterfuck that was supposed to be one of the biggest stepping stones but turned out to be an epic ass failure instead!

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 03:32 AM
for Sting and Hogan to be Overated Someone would have to atleast claim it was a good match

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 03:35 AM
for Sting and Hogan to be Overated Someone would have to atleast claim it was a good match

Overrated means "Hype", junior. No one said that overrated had to mean good.

o·ver·rate Pronunciation (vr-rt)
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Robstar
01-16-2011, 03:40 AM
While I'm here, I have to give special mention to every single one of the Andre/Ultimate Warrior matches

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 03:43 AM
While I'm here, I have to give special mention to every single one of the Andre/Ultimate Warrior matches

Dear god in heaven! They could make a whole episode of Botchamania! dedicated to them alone.

Murphdogg4
01-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Flair vs Steamboat trio of matches were the best matches I've ever seen in american wrestling. The most overated of all time. Hulk Vs Andre. Wasn't even the best match at Wrestlemania 3 savage vs steamboat was.

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 04:37 AM
*shakes head at Kashdinero* ;)

It's the idea of Goldberg that appeal's to me rather than the actual product, if that makes sense.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 04:38 AM
Overrated means "Hype", junior. No one said that overrated had to mean good.

o·ver·rate Pronunciation (vr-rt)
tr.v. o·ver·rat·ed, o·ver·rat·ing, o·ver·rates
To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Yes read what you said.... Overated means overestimate or rate too highly....... who rates that match highly? have you ever seen anyone claim that was a good match, its a joke everyone called it that, even Hogan and Sting called it a joke. i didnt say Matches that didnt live up to expectation, i said matches that are overated by people in general

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Flair vs Steamboat trio of matches were the best matches I've ever seen in american wrestling. The most overated of all time. Hulk Vs Andre. Wasn't even the best match at Wrestlemania 3 savage vs steamboat was.

The best? i dont know about that but its debatable, but the point i tried to make is that WrestleWar 89 gets way more credit then it deserves when Clash of the Champions 2/3 falls match was better..... Hogan and Andres match is not overated cause everyone says it wasnt a great match but it is a big moment and biggest match in wrestling history, which it is.... but the actual match people all know its crap from a workrate stand point.... but calling it the biggest match in wrestling history is a fact

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 04:55 AM
Yes read what you said.... Overated means overestimate or rate too highly....... who rates that match highly? have you ever seen anyone claim that was a good match, its a joke everyone called it that, even Hogan and Sting called it a joke. i didnt say Matches that didnt live up to expectation, i said matches that are overated by people in general

Ugh. **Facepalm**

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 05:14 AM
Ugh. **Facepalm**

wow your so cool with the face palm comment.... whats next epic fail? i hate comment board chat lingo. over done and stupid to begin with

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 05:17 AM
wow your so cool with the face palm comment.... whats next epic fail? i hate comment board chat lingo. over done and stupid to begin with

Seriously? That coming from the guy who didn't even respond to the proper area. I facepalmed because you made a stupid remark, junior. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about and in all honesty, this thread proves it.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 05:23 AM
Seriously? That coming from the guy who didn't even respond to the proper area. I facepalmed because you made a stupid remark, junior. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about and in all honesty, this thread proves it.
Proper area? i was commenting how un orginal you are and how you depend on comment board talk to try to make your self sound smart. you honestly make no sence...... and what stupid remark?...... i have no clue how you say i wasnt responding to the right area when i was simply mocking your comment.

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-16-2011, 05:24 AM
umm the wrong section? i was commenting how unorginalyou are and how you depend on comment board talk to try to make your self sound smart. you honestly make no sence...... and what stupid remark?...... i have no clue how you say i wasnt responding to the right area when i was simply mocking your comment

You sir, are ridonkulous. Clearly you again, have no idea what you're doing. I'm not getting into a Flamewar with you. This is squashed as of now considering you're completely inept. Ding, ding, ding.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 05:26 AM
You sir, are ridonkulous. Clearly you again, have no idea what you're doing. I'm not getting into a Flamewar with you. This is squashed as of now considering you're completely inept. Ding, ding, ding.

yeah you keep thinking Overated means hype and you keep on looking stupid..... i honestly think there is something wrong with you

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 05:27 AM
here ill beat you to it FacePalm.... Epic Fail... (insert something thats outdated on other comment boards) theres all your come backs

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 05:30 AM
i do know what im doing im on a comment board, talking about matches that people give too much credit to or hold too highly in ranking undeservingly

Jayoholic
01-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Yeah, I thought it was universally accepted that the Sting/Hogan Starcade match was bad. So I agree with overhyped being the correct term.

Robstar
01-16-2011, 06:24 AM
You know what a pathetic match was? Rated R(ob)KO and THE_CRIPPLER. It was a very unique way to disagree with someone by attacking them for improper use of a word. How dare he! How dare anyone come here without the vocabularic wherewithal that I hold so dear! And god damn him to hell if he misunderstood the question! It's unforgivable, I know. For fuck sake, it's CLEAR you knew what he meant. Who pee'd in your cornflakes?

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 06:37 AM
You know what a pathetic match was? Rated R(ob)KO and THE_CRIPPLER. It was a very unique way to disagree with someone by attacking them for improper use of a word. How dare he! How dare anyone come here without the vocabularic wherewithal that I hold so dear! And god damn him to hell if he misunderstood the question! It's unforgivable, I know. For fuck sake, it's CLEAR you knew what he meant. Who pee'd in your cornflakes?
I just really dont understand why he is attacking me, i just said no one considered Hogan and Sting a classic match, its a joke so it cant be overated...... hey disagree with me, debate my choices but i really have no fucking clue what he is arguing about....and honestly if someone wants to attack me, please attack the wrestling opions. thats what the boards here for

Shelts9192
01-16-2011, 08:45 AM
You know what a pathetic match was? Rated R(ob)KO and THE_CRIPPLER.

hahaa

Anyways, on topic: Any match with John Cena is overrated for me - yes he can be involved in a great storyline (for example, him joining nexus did entertain me) but the actually qualtity of the match? What? Beat up to a near inch of death for 20 minutes - Adrenaline Rush!! - Shoulder tackle - top rope leg drop - shoulder tackle - 5 knuckle shuffle - shoulder tackle - FUCK ME HE'S HIT A DROP KICK!!! - Oh...another shoulder tackle... - AA/STF.
Not really quality wrestling in my books....

On topic again - Shawn Michaels vs Taker at both Manias were incredible - best matches ive ever seen, they had everything! Hype, legends, fantastic moves from both! and endings that made me jump out of my seat several times! So, I honestly think saying that was overrated was a bit silly - your opinion of course......but silly

As for off topic - I do think THE_CRIPPLER won this one - as he didnt use the term 'facepalmed' several times on a forum and 'junior' (very Y2J - legend, but only funny when he uses it)

Oh and, 'Ridonkulous'??? I know we're all here to love wrestling and discuss, but if you do get into a heated discussion with someone, at least call them retarded...not something a retard would say!
Other than that, honestly think youre a great poster, decent guy and i agree with many of your opinions

(if i have offended anybody in anyway....feel free to keep your opinions to yourself - unless it's about the wrestling - this is how the arguments start people!! :D )

chunkkynutzzz
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Daniel Bryan vs Chris Jericho on NXT was not all that..it was a ok match...a wateva match I say...BOTH WOULD TEAR THE HOUSE DOWN NOW AT A PPV MATCH THO...Future Main Event in my opinion ..I say ..in my words ..is what I'm sayin..

Androo
01-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I would agree with the michaels vs taker matches are a bit overrated. theyre great matches i agree ,so much storytelling, psychology, both doing everything for each other, and a must watch for wrestlers to understand how to do it, but not best ever. i think its just in a time where there are so few great memorable matches, those just really standout, really really really standout in this age.

I might put it out there rock vs hogan match as overrated. i dont kno if its held in such high regard as a highly rated match in the firstplace but it is the one everyone talks about from wm18, plus the build up and crowd reaction made it so - icon vs icon. i can see how they r held as icons but i was never a fan of either of them especially hogan, i didnt mind the rock when he was heel, and especially the whole "feud" with the hurricane which was quite good, but apart from that not my bag.

what about most underrated matches ever??? welllllll thats a whole different thread altogether now isnt it?!?! *wink wink nudge nudge.* *chin handed* hah

Lance Storm
01-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Anything with Warrior or Goldberg

Bodom
01-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Anything with Warrior or Goldberg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Anything with Warrior and Goldberg is over-hyped, but not overrated. There is a huge difference between the too. I agree that Rock vs. Hogan was over-hyped, but no one is claiming that it's a great match to being with, so it can't be overrated in my book. John Cena cannot be overrated by the IWC either imo. He IS over-hyped w/o a doubt, but if anything he's underrated by the IWC.

My most overrated match is Austin vs Rock @ Wrestlemania 17. Great build-up no doubt, but the match itself was just very average.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I would agree with the michaels vs taker matches are a bit overrated. theyre great matches i agree ,so much storytelling, psychology, both doing everything for each other, and a must watch for wrestlers to understand how to do it, but not best ever. i think its just in a time where there are so few great memorable matches, those just really standout, really really really standout in this age.

I might put it out there rock vs hogan match as overrated. i dont kno if its held in such high regard as a highly rated match in the firstplace but it is the one everyone talks about from wm18, plus the build up and crowd reaction made it so - icon vs icon. i can see how they r held as icons but i was never a fan of either of them especially hogan, i didnt mind the rock when he was heel, and especially the whole "feud" with the hurricane which was quite good, but apart from that not my bag.

what about most underrated matches ever??? welllllll thats a whole different thread altogether now isnt it?!?! *wink wink nudge nudge.* *chin handed* hah

You are 100 percent right about Hogan vs Rock....... i was gonna put them like number 2 but forgot, this was a turd of a match and alot of people call it best Ever,,,,,, good call that one slipped my mind

thedominator92
01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Hollywood hogan Vs. Ultimate Warrior Halloween havoc 98

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 01:27 PM
hahaa

Anyways, on topic: Any match with John Cena is overrated for me - yes he can be involved in a great storyline (for example, him joining nexus did entertain me) but the actually qualtity of the match? What? Beat up to a near inch of death for 20 minutes - Adrenaline Rush!! - Shoulder tackle - top rope leg drop - shoulder tackle - 5 knuckle shuffle - shoulder tackle - FUCK ME HE'S HIT A DROP KICK!!! - Oh...another shoulder tackle... - AA/STF.
Not really quality wrestling in my books....

On topic again - Shawn Michaels vs Taker at both Manias were incredible - best matches ive ever seen, they had everything! Hype, legends, fantastic moves from both! and endings that made me jump out of my seat several times! So, I honestly think saying that was overrated was a bit silly - your opinion of course......but silly

As for off topic - I do think THE_CRIPPLER won this one - as he didnt use the term 'facepalmed' several times on a forum and 'junior' (very Y2J - legend, but only funny when he uses it)

Oh and, 'Ridonkulous'??? I know we're all here to love wrestling and discuss, but if you do get into a heated discussion with someone, at least call them retarded...not something a retard would say!
Other than that, honestly think youre a great poster, decent guy and i agree with many of your opinions

(if i have offended anybody in anyway....feel free to keep your opinions to yourself - unless it's about the wrestling - this is how the arguments start people!! :D )

I loved the Taker Michaels WM25 match, i think 26 fell short from what i expected.... but just everyone calling it the greatest match ever is a little much for me

Robstar
01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Anything with Warrior and Goldberg is over-hyped, but not overrated. There is a huge difference between the too. I agree that Rock vs. Hogan was over-hyped, but no one is claiming that it's a great match to being with, so it can't be overrated in my book. John Cena cannot be overrated by the IWC either imo. He IS over-hyped w/o a doubt, but if anything he's underrated by the IWC.

My most overrated match is Austin vs Rock @ Wrestlemania 17. Great build-up no doubt, but the match itself was just very average.

I would say overrated for Warrior and Goldberg because so many people still kiss their asses, well Goldberg at least and they were simply the worst in the ring. Overhyped as well

Necroyeti
01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Blood Generation vs. Do Fixer (ROH Supercard of Honor, 2006) - Yes, it was still a bloody good match with incredible workrate all around, but I can't really fathom why it was given five stars. (beyond Meltzer's fetish for anything Japanese, of course) I felt it was a little too spotfesty and frantic to be considered among the best matches of all time.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I would say overrated for Warrior and Goldberg because so many people still kiss their asses, well Goldberg at least and they were simply the worst in the ring. Overhyped as well

You know say what you want about Warrior but he did have some really good matches... his Match with Hogan was was a classic and very exciting, its not the greatest but its still a good match... his match at WM 7 with Savage was a bit overated but still really good (probably his best match ever, that or the Hogan)..... and he had a really stellar match with Rude at SummerSlam for the IC title..... Goldberg was good for exciting 5 min squash matches, he did do a few moves ok. but after 5 mins or so he lacked he lacked beginer level wrestling skills..... and honestly i dont think Sid was so bad for what he was, Sid had a insane look and he did few power moves really well, and he did try to sell at times, but alot of times he oversold the dumbest things.... but i have to say Wrestling is a much better place That Sid was in it, just the backstage stories alone are worth it haha

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 06:50 PM

I loved the Rock and Austin WM 17 match, it exceed my expectaions, Austin was on a tear that year having awesome matches with Beniot, HHH, The Rock and Kurt Angle..... I thought the same thing to About Hogan and The Rock, but every wrestling list i see by fans they rate it in the top 5, on every WWE list, or peoples top 5 wrestlemania match, even Bob Costas called it one the greatest match i ever seen... but the match is complete garbage.....What ever you do, do not go on WWE fourms at WWE.com (if they still have it) cause that match is talked about as the best all over it

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Well, I think people call it amazing in the same way that the People's Elbow was a great finisher. The crowd made the match a lot better than it actually should have been. Rock vs. Hogan was an electrifying event in wrestling history. It was the current legend vs. the all time legend, and the crowd was marking for every single thing that Hogan did. However, if anyone thinks Rock vs. Hogan was a good match, thy are sorely mistaken.

THE_CRIPPLER
01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Well, I think people call it amazing in the same way that the People's Elbow was a great finisher. The crowd made the match a lot better than it actually should have been. Rock vs. Hogan was an electrifying event in wrestling history. It was the current legend vs. the all time legend, and the crowd was marking for every single thing that Hogan did. However, if anyone thinks Rock vs. Hogan was a good match, thy are sorely mistaken.

i agree 100% its unwatchable to me, for crowed reaction i give it 3 stars but as a match maybe 2..... You know whats a underated match to me that no one talks about, What about that Incredible match Austin and Angle had at SummerSlam for the Title

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-16-2011, 09:50 PM
i agree 100% its unwatchable to me, for crowed reaction i give it 3 stars but as a match maybe 2..... You know whats a underated match to me that no one talks about, What about that Incredible match Austin and Angle had at SummerSlam for the Title

More or less anything Angle does is incredible. He's simply one of the best ever, and even though I'm not a huge Austin guy, that match was still amazing.

nrb6304
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM

YES!!! I've never understood why it's on EVERY Austin or Rock DVD. It's not that awesome

THE_CRIPPLER
01-17-2011, 03:35 AM
More or less anything Angle does is incredible. He's simply one of the best ever, and even though I'm not a huge Austin guy, that match was still amazing.

You know Angle was Incredible 2 or 3 years.... but guys like Beniot, Hart and Micheals were amazing for 15 years