PDA

View Full Version : Which rivalry was better: Stone Cold-Vince McMahon or Shawn Michaels-Bret Hart?

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Hello all. These damn Ravens will be the death of me before it's all said and done, so now that I'm more or less done sulking, I will do something else that I love doing to take my mind off of what has been a crushing day. Sooo, onto the second round of the greatest rivalries tournament!!! This match-up is very unique imo because, aside from the fact that both were extremely entertaining, both were instrumental in innovating and sustaining the beloved Attitude Era. However, both are obviously unique from one another due to the fact that one of them was far more promo-based then wrestling based, whereas the other featured two of the greatest of all time in the ring paired off against one another.

Sorry for the poor quality of this video, but it was the only one I could find on youtube and I think it needs to be revisited. This was one of the greatest moments in wrestling history and was one of the most replayed videos of the Attitude Era. If you were to sum up Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon in one video, this would in all likelihood be the video you would want to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82_bqMRDiU

Since were starting to talk about the Attitude Era, I think it's only fitting to show what arguably was the beginning of the Attitude Era. Yes, of course I speak of the infamous Montreal Screwjob...Bret Hart fans need not to revisit.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x740p_shawn-michaels-vs-bret-hart_news

My opinion:

Wrestling edge- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. I know it isn't really fair to criticize Vince on his wrestling abilities, but I do have to give credit where credit is due for the masterful performances HBK and Bret put on every time they met.

Promo edge- Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon. Sorry HBK/Bret, but Stone Cold and Vince were two of the best of the greatest of all time in terms of hyping up a big match or talking for pure entertainment value. Make no bones about it though, the promos that Hart and Michaels had together was the stuff of legends, and the tension built up between those two was absolutely palpable.

Longevity- Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon. I was contemplating giving this category to HBK and Hart simply because of the real life heat they had for one another did last for well over a decade, but unfortunately for them and us, they were not able to make money off of that as most of their stuff was strictly off-camera. We have seen now however, that the HBK/Hart feud still held its water by today's standards, and if they REALLY wanted to have another go at it, they could do a program with each other and it would still be relevant to today's everyday fan.

"Holy shit" moments- Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon. For every video I've shown so far from the VKM/SCSA feud that made you say "holy shit," there are a dozen more just like it. If those two didn't invent the "holy shit" moment, they sure as hell perfected it.

Impact- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Good grief that was a hard one. I went with HBK/Hart on this one because I really don't know if there would have even been a Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon if it hadn't have been for the Montreal Screwjob that painted Vince as a permanent villain. However, one could easily make the claim that the Attitude Era wouldn't have been nearly as successful if it hadn't been for the rivalry that Vince and Stone Cold had. At the end of the day though, I have to give it to Bret and HBK because not only do I think the Montreal Screwjob was one of the most important events that had ever occurred in wrestling, the Hart/Michaels feud put Michaels over for the rest of his illustrious career.

Overall- Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. This was w/o a doubt the hardest one I had ever had to choose from because both feuds were so equally great in so many ways, but at the end of the day, Hart and Michaels edged out SCSA and VKM in the two most important categories imo (wrestling and impact) so I have to give it to them. Not to mention I could be a bit biased because the Hart/Michaels' rivalry was THE rivalry in wrestling when I was a kid, and I'll always have the fond memories of that period in my heart.

The Brown One
01-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Your'e right this is the hardest one! I'm going with Bret Hart-Shawn Michaels, based on what you said above. Good to see you back, and doing writeups and giving your opinions on the categories.

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Vince and Austin was the better feud, as it was 100% made up and one didn't need to know all about the backstage bitching to follow it. Granted HBK-Hart was the deeper of the two, and was a big part in the evolution of the Attitude era, but Vinnie v The Rattlesnake broke records and helped WWF win the Monday night war. Bret V Shawn didn't really help WWF in the ratings war at all!
But overall I'm basing my vote on the numerous moments these two had together. From the kidnapping/gun/pant pissing incident to the first ever Stunner to the cement/corvette vignette to the hospital bed scenario, the amount of quality moment's far outweigh the Rumor Ridden HBK-Hart feud.

MattElder
01-16-2011, 04:02 AM
I was watching some DVDS the overday from the austin era and theyre were so many great promos and matches that i simply forgot about because he has done that many. based on that its him and vinnie mac all the way

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 04:17 AM
I was watching some DVDS the overday from the austin era and theyre were so many great promos and matches that i simply forgot about because he has done that many. based on that its him and vinnie mac all the way

~Puts Thumbs up~

Their St Valentines massacre cage match was masterful in it's brutality and story telling. Vince was truly portrayed as a tough, stubborn, son of a gun in that one. The brutal bump he took off the side of the cage, on to that unforgiving table, was Foley like, in how painful it looked (and probably was). Plus the ending of the match where Paul White Debuted and threw Austin through the cage wall was simply shocking!

Tommy Thunder
01-16-2011, 09:06 AM
I've gone for HBK vs Bret, but like you say, it wasn't an easy call!!

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Vince and Austin was the better feud, as it was 100% made up and one didn't need to know all about the backstage bitching to follow it. Granted HBK-Hart was the deeper of the two, and was a big part in the evolution of the Attitude era, but Vinnie v The Rattlesnake broke records and helped WWF win the Monday night war. Bret V Shawn didn't really help WWF in the ratings war at all!
But overall I'm basing my vote on the numerous moments these two had together. From the kidnapping/gun/pant pissing incident to the first ever Stunner to the cement/corvette vignette to the hospital bed scenario, the amount of quality moment's far outweigh the Rumor Ridden HBK-Hart feud.

To me, the bolded part was pretty much exactly why I voted for the Michaels/Hart feud. It was so real, so personal, and you could feel it in their promos. Imo, you didn't have to know about the backstage politics to feel the energy that those two gave off. Sure it helped to know what was going on backstage, but it wasn't required to enjoy the feud. Plus the Michaels/Hart feud did (albiet indirectly) help the WWE win the Monday Night Wars.

thejman93
01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I went with HBK-Hart because this is a poll about the better professional wrestling rivalry and while Austin-McMahon provided plenty of holy shit moments and great promos, they could obviously never dream of putting on the five star matches that HBK and Bet did. The Montreal Screwjob can't be understated when you talk about HBK-Hart ethier. Like SES said that moment kicked off the greatest era in the history of pro wrestling.

the Bigz
01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I am going to go for Bret V Shawn simply for the length of the rivalry (first profesionaly later personally) going back to the Hart Foundation V Rockers,the early singles matches around 1992/93 (Survivor Series 92 is a forgotten gem) through to the 96/97 run.
McMahon V Austin while providing some classic segments didn't have a great deal of in-ring action due in part to Austin's neck problems.

xStraightxEdgexSaviorx
01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Dammit man another tie!!! I forgot two of the polls ended last night so I'm updating them right now. This one ended in a tie so, once again, both rivalries advance.