PDA

View Full Version : The ECW World Title

Robstar
01-15-2011, 02:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ECW_World_Heavyweight_Champions

I just discovered the first ECW champ was Jimmy Snuka and the title was also held by Don Muraco and Tito Santana! Why has nobody mentioned this? Did anyone know? I was under the impression that Terry Funk was the first title holder but discovered he that ECW was NWA affiliated at one stage.

Funny how this era of ECW's history is conveniently overlooked by certain fans.

Just saying. U MAD???

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 03:22 AM
It is a very little known fact, of course I knew, that Superfly and Muraco were ECW heavyweight champions. Their matches were, while showing some of the hardcore style that made the promotion so popular in later years, pretty lame...

I believe Superfly was also the TV champion as well.

I love the fact that Funk came in to help the promotion on two separate occasion's. That man was so selfless, just the complete opposite of many of his peers!

A lot of other well known wrestlers also came through the promotion during it's early years, including, Jim Neidhart, Davey Boy Smith, Hawk, Stan Hansen, King Kong Bundy, Arn Anderson, Marty Jannetty, Mr Hughes, Tully Blanchard, Ron Simmons (who infamously, unsuccessfully tried to muscle his way to a larger payoff from Todd Gordon) and others. These guys were always brought in to give a rub the home grown star's of Eastern Championship Wrestling. Some were unhappy about this and never came back, clearly they werent cut from the same cloth as the aforementioned Mr Funk!

Robstar
01-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Funk is true class. Wrestling was his passion. Unlike many of the could-never-be sportstars who turned to wrestling when thier NFL dreams died after high school

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Funk is true class. Wrestling was his passion. Unlike many of the could-never-be sportstars who turned to wrestling when thier NFL dreams died after high school

Lex Luger imediatly sprung to mind after reading that, but there have been a few ex- (American) football players to go on to become wrestling greats. My favourite being Brian Pillman, who absolutely ruled during his brief stay in ECW! Now he would have made a good ECW champion!

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 03:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ECW_World_Heavyweight_Champions

I just discovered the first ECW champ was Jimmy Snuka and the title was also held by Don Muraco and Tito Santana! Why has nobody mentioned this? Did anyone know? I was under the impression that Terry Funk was the first title holder but discovered he that ECW was NWA affiliated at one stage.

Funny how this era of ECW's history is conveniently overlooked by certain fans.

Just saying. U MAD???

This is history! How can you not remember the 1st ever ECW world champion?!

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 04:23 AM
This is history! How can you not remember the 1st ever ECW world champion?!

Lol, he only held it for a day!

I won't lie. I had completely forgot that Tito was an ECW champ.... Man, that just doesn't sound right, when you think about ECW, Santana is (literally) the last guy who would come to mind!

Robstar
01-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Lol, he only held it for a day!

I won't lie. I had completely forgot that Tito was an ECW champ.... Man, that just doesn't sound right, when you think about ECW, Santana is (literally) the last guy who would come to mind!

I was pretty ignorant to ECW. I had stopped following wrestling for ages AND the only thing we got here was WWF/E.

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 04:38 AM
I was pretty ignorant to ECW. I had stopped following wrestling for ages AND the only thing we got here was WWF/E.

Us 2. Thank God for the internet :D

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 04:48 AM

I used to read about it in magazines, and remember the ECW invasion on Raw back in 1997, I also remember Van Dam when they had him on Raw with Jerry Lawler, but I didn't see any ECW footage until it started showing on Bravo (TNA's old home) over here until 98. They showed all the old Hardcore TV episodes from 96-97.... The Taz v Sabu feud had me hooked like anything I'd ever seen. For me ECW 95-97 is one of the best that has happened in wrestling, there were so many good storylines during that period!

Rich Cranium
01-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow, I always thought Shane Douglas was the first!

Robstar
01-15-2011, 03:47 PM
I used to read about it in magazines, and remember the ECW invasion on Raw back in 1997, I also remember Van Dam when they had him on Raw with Jerry Lawler, but I didn't see any ECW footage until it started showing on Bravo (TNA's old home) over here until 98. They showed all the old Hardcore TV episodes from 96-97.... The Taz v Sabu feud had me hooked like anything I'd ever seen. For me ECW 95-97 is one of the best that has happened in wrestling, there were so many good storylines during that period!

Yeah, I have been collecting DVD's from that era. My opinion is that a LOT of ECW guys were on drugs - and I'm not talking steroids either. I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a stringent drug testing policy in ECW and that's why a lot of fringe guys worked there. IMO!

Having Santana and Muraco and Snuka as champs shows signs of an insecure early promotion feeling like they needed a 'name' as top guy.

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I have been collecting DVD's from that era. My opinion is that a LOT of ECW guys were on drugs - and I'm not talking steroids either. I'm pretty sure that there wasn't a stringent drug testing policy in ECW and that's why a lot of fringe guys worked there. IMO!

Having Santana and Muraco and Snuka as champs shows signs of an insecure early promotion feeling like they needed a 'name' as top guy.

Tommy Dreamer was clean. There may have been one or two more but I doubt it!

I suppose it made sense to have someone with a modicum of name value as their champion, especially in 1993.... Plus I reckon those guys were going cheap at the time. I saw Todd's shoot interview and he said that Don was just layzying around doing nothing else at the time, so Todd threw him a bone, so to speak. Also the talent in Philadelphia at the time mostly consisted of Garbage Wrestlers without a clue!

I still get a lot of enjoyment out of those days though, Ultra Clash 93 was a lot of fun!

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Tommy Dreamer was clean. There may have been one or two more but I doubt it!

I suppose it made sense to have someone with a modicum of name value as their champion, especially in 1993.... Plus I reckon those guys were going cheap at the time. I saw Todd's shoot interview and he said that Don was just layzying around doing nothing else at the time, so Todd threw him a bone, so to speak. Also the talent in Philadelphia at the time mostly consisted of Garbage Wrestlers without a clue!

I still get a lot of enjoyment out of those days though, Ultra Clash 93 was a lot of fun!

Apparently Dreamer was ECW's cleanest employee. And when he joined WWE, he was their cleanest employee. I think its because he knew he had to be there for the wife and kids.

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Apparently Dreamer was ECW's cleanest employee. And when he joined WWE, he was their cleanest employee. I think its because he knew he had to be there for the wife and kids.

Back then Dreamer was free and single, so that's not really an excuse why he didn't do drugs. I just think that Dreamer is one of the rare drug free (through personal choice) performers to go through ECW. Lance Storm could be added to that list as well.

Although some of the shit that Dreamer put himself through you'd have thought that he was on something! That man was fearless! (or stupid depending on your POV)