PDA

View Full Version : A Women's Match As A Main Event???

Robstar
01-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Look what I found - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brawl_to_End_it_All

When was the last time you saw a womens match as a main event? The Brawl To End It All - check out the card. A World Title match in the middle of the card? WWF had a World Martial Arts Title? As a matter of fact, this title was an NJPW title and was allegedly defended in shoot fights. Now that's true hardcore wrestling! Actually the only match they televised (on MTV no less) was the Richter/Moolah fight!

This was followed by - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_to_Settle_the_Score

I'm glad I found this little gem as it planted the seed for the Wrestlemania main event and like the previous card, only the main event was televised.

You want to do a what if? I'll give you the drum - I suggest that without VKM devising these events and using the then new MTV as a vehicle, wrestling would not be as popular as it is today. No what if about it.;)

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 03:58 AM
The first one is just really really surprising! How the hell did a women's match get put in the main event of a PPV?! And above the company's top title too..thats never going to happen again.

Robstar
01-15-2011, 04:12 AM
The first one is just really really surprising! How the hell did a women's match get put in the main event of a PPV?! And above the company's top title too..thats never going to happen again.

It was the Cindy Lauper tie in. And the novelty value was huge for MTV

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 04:25 AM
You were right about the MTV thing. Wrestling on MTV has very short runs and then get cancelled. Either that, or the shows suck. I watched Half Pint Brawlers last night for the first time in my life. It was weird! Have you watched it? Can you fill me in on what its about?

Robstar
01-15-2011, 04:29 AM
You were right about the MTV thing. Wrestling on MTV has very short runs and then get cancelled. Either that, or the shows suck. I watched Half Pint Brawlers last night for the first time in my life. It was weird! Have you watched it? Can you fill me in on what its about?

Is that the one thats in like a biker bar? I think Angelina Love or Velvet Sky or one of those tramps is in it

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 04:37 AM
Is that the one thats in like a biker bar? I think Angelina Love or Velvet Sky or one of those tramps is in it

I don't think you have watched it lol. From the episode that I saw..it was about a group of midgets who roam around USA to do stupid stuff on stage(the likes of Jackass stuff), and occasionally wrestle in a ring.

The episode had:
* They drank their own piss
* The pros taught the rookie midget how to exercise..and how to wrestle
* The rookie midget was forced to strip on stage in front of several men
* The midgets lube wrestled strippers for a drunk Fraternity party

So far, I'm not impressed.

Necroyeti
01-15-2011, 07:35 AM
From wikipedia:

The March 30th (2000) edition of SmackDown featured the first Divas match in WWF history to be the main event of any WWF show, a WWF Women's Championship match between defending champion Jacqueline and Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley. The August 21 (2000) edition of Raw featured the first match in WWF history to be Raw's main event, a WWF Women's Championship match between defending champion Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley and Lita.

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 07:42 AM
From wikipedia:

The March 30th (2000) edition of SmackDown featured the first Divas match in WWF history to be the main event of any WWF show, a WWF Women's Championship match between defending champion Jacqueline and Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley. The August 21 (2000) edition of Raw featured the first match in WWF history to be Raw's main event, a WWF Women's Championship match between defending champion Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley and Lita.

Wow didn't know it was so recent. I thought that Rob's link was the only one.

HeelTurn
01-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Probably doesnt count, but didnt Trish and Beth main event Raw in a mixed tag match last year?

The Brown One
01-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Probably doesnt count, but didnt Trish and Beth main event Raw in a mixed tag match last year?

It wasn't main event.

HeelTurn
01-15-2011, 08:01 AM
It wasn't main event.
Was it not? Then it definately wont count lol

Robstar
01-15-2011, 03:42 PM
From wikipedia:

I think they need to change that then to the main event of The Brawl To End It All as the first. Unless of course, they want to split hairs over 'Womens' and 'Divas' ;)