PDA

View Full Version : the NWO: the story line that would change wrestling forever

Tcarms920
01-12-2011, 12:19 AM
i think the nWo is one of the most influential story lines ever. it resulted in the rise of one company, another close to closing. it started the real Monday night wars, where WCW beat WWF week after week and then the WWF had to change there product or face bankruptcy. the changes WWF created legends like The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Triple H, Jericho and it also changed the demand for wrestling today. I hear a lot of complaints about WWE being PG, and how it should go back to the attitude era. That we wanna see more edgy personas and not superCENA. What would wrestling be like if WCW never got hogan? what if Kevin Nash and Scott Hall never went to WCW? if hogan wasn't the third man? who woulda been the third man? what if the nWo never existed? what would wrestling be like today?

east
01-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Ever heard of a game called EWR? Because thats what you should probably play with pointless threads like this.

What would've happened? Nothing... Wrestling would've never peaked and plateued and actually became "cool" to watch in the late 90's... WWE wouldnt've gone out of business, and neither would WCW... Some stuff would've happened, if you actually see how it went down - The Ringmaster was in the WWE before hand, people were saying Steve Austin was the future, Shawn Michaels was the hot new superstar he was... Wrestling would've got dirtier and more intense because A. they took it off of ECW and the edgier independent scene and B. Global desensitization to violence in the media meant that it would've ended up in an inevitable "attitude" era

Bodom
01-12-2011, 12:28 AM
If you find the thread pointless, why bother posting a reply?

Rather pointless and douchey.

Tcarms920
01-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Ever heard of a game called EWR? Because thats what you should probably play with pointless threads like this.

What would've happened? Nothing... Wrestling would've never peaked and plateued and actually became "cool" to watch in the late 90's... WWE wouldnt've gone out of business, and neither would WCW... Some stuff would've happened, if you actually see how it went down - The Ringmaster was in the WWE before hand, people were saying Steve Austin was the future, Shawn Michaels was the hot new superstar he was... Wrestling would've got dirtier and more intense because A. they took it off of ECW and the edgier independent scene and B. Global desensitization to violence in the media meant that it would've ended up in an inevitable "attitude" era

But the only reason WWF went into the attitude era was to compete with WCW, and they let the ring master become SCSA because of the attitude era and the new demand for those kind of edgier wrestlers due to the NWO

and i agree with Bodom...you sound douchie.

Rated_R(ob)KO
01-12-2011, 01:40 AM
He did something similar in one of my "what if" posts. He has some sort of inadequate ability to contemplate things like that. I imagine after every post he bashes a beer can on his head.

The Brown One
01-12-2011, 02:27 AM

No they created the Attitude Era solely to compete with WCW, to beat them. They wouldn't be the same company they are today if they hadn't run WCW out of business. They had to get the ratings to stay afloat, and the edgy storylines were the way to do it. WCW created its own downfall, which helped WWE, but WWE also had to create the Attitude Era to compete.

Tcarms920 was just giving us a history lesson, and telling us how he appreciated it. If you don't like that, then continue watching John Cena happily.

Tcarms920
01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
. I imagine after every post he bashes a beer can on his head.

haha thats great

MattElder
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
I think it goes alot further than that, Look at Supercena.... His Dr of Thuganomics character was a result of The Attitude Era,
But i dont think he could debut as that character these days and the i cant see him being where he is today if he debuted as The Marine type gimmickhe potrays now.

Most of todays talents are here because they wanted to be a part of the business that had a huge increase in popularity, Would The Miz, JoMo, Dolph iggler, Kofi Kingston etc ever have seen and became fans of the product era?
I think its made the industry more competitive for athletes instead of the companies

Rich Cranium
01-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I think it goes alot further than that, Look at Supercena.... His Dr of Thuganomics character was a result of The Attitude Era,

He had a bigger moveset back then too but somehow he got amnesia and forgot all but 5!

RevolutionIcon
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Um. WWF didn't "create" the Attitude Era to compete with WCW. You don't create an era. lol

An Era creates itself.. Or else in reality we could create the "Make everyone rich era", so no..

The Attitude Era became what it was because Stone Cold Steve Austin was being cheered as a heel. If that never happened, all we would have had was three great heels being The Rock, HHH, and SCSA, and a company in dire need of a face seeing as how HBK eventually got hurt.

Sure the nWo would have gone on successfully, but the WWF wouldn't have dawned the Attitude Era if it wasn't for the FANS basically forcing them to change things up a bit. After that, then yes, they started planning storylines ahead of time for what they coined "Attitude".

There would have been no Attitude Era without SCSA, being cheered when he was supposed to be hated, just good heels, and who knows what they would have come up with. Probably Superstar Legend guest appearances monthly to challenge three great heels. lmfao

Doink The Clown vs. The Rock vs. SCSA vs. HHH

Oooooh, he loses. Who's next?

Oh wait, that's WCW's line, we can't use that. Grr.

MattElder
01-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Um. WWF didn't "create" the Attitude Era to compete with WCW. You don't create an era. lol
An Era creates itself.. Or else in reality we could create the "Make everyone rich era", so no..

But WWf Created SCSA, They created the storylines they put the whole package together to stop theyre ship from sinking. That shipwas sinking as a result of wcw. WWF could not create the Era but if it wasnt for the WWF theyre would have been no attitude era.

They created the attitude period which the fans connected with in which made it the attitude era

Tcarms920
01-13-2011, 12:51 PM

An Era creates itself.. Or else in reality we could create the "Make everyone rich era", so no...

Actually they did create the attitude era, your retarded if you dont think the WWF/E or any wrestling company could make an era, they write the whole show, and you can write it to be PG or you can write it with "attitude" when you write it with attitude you create an attitude era because its an era in the company in which the product has attitude which is what the WWF did in the late 90's

AngrySamoan
01-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Actually they did create the attitude era, your retarded if you dont think the WWF/E or any wrestling company could make an era, they write the whole show, and you can write it to be PG or you can write it with "attitude" when you write it with attitude you create an attitude era because its an era in the company in which the product has attitude which is what the WWF did in the late 90's

You can't create "Era's" and if you're going to call someone retarded perhaps you should use the right "You're" because not doing so really makes you look like the retarded one.

Many instances even before the whole "attitude" era contributed to it being what it is and was.
Sure, after they started to take note of this, they started using the term "attitude" to define their wrestling brand as a whole, not an "era"
Only in time, did it become an era.

Rich Cranium
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2181811.jpg

MattElder
01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
An Era becomes and era because someething happens in a certain time period, wether the "something Happning" is man made or an act of god is irrelevant it becomes an era none the less

Eg The Ice age - Act of god
Attitude Era - Man Made

When i say man made i mean an event or a period of events such as the world wars were bad eras created by human being
The Attitude was a era of "Attitude" created by The then wwf's story writers, and the fans that accepted these storylines.

If this wasnt true where did the attitude era come from?

AngrySamoan
01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
An Era becomes and era because someething happens in a certain time period, wether the "something Happning" is man made or an act of god is irrelevant it becomes an era none the less

Eg The Ice age - Act of god
Attitude Era - Man Made

When i say man made i mean an event or a period of events such as the world wars were bad eras created by human being
The Attitude was a era of "Attitude" created by The then wwf's story writers, and the fans that accepted these storylines.

If this wasnt true where did the attitude era come from?

It DID happen, in time!! That's not the debate, but what I'm saying didn't happen was a bunch of writers or whoever saying "Hey, let's have an attitude era."

Robstar
01-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Jericho was a star in WCW long before entering WWE.

Hey, what if the cold war had peaked in nuclear war, do you think there'd still be 7-11's? That's how much sense this question makes to me.

Bodom
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Jericho was a star in WCW long before entering WWE.

Hey, what if the cold war had peaked in nuclear war, do you think there'd still be 7-11's? That's how much sense this question makes to me.

What if Robstar wasn't obsessed with Vickie Guerrero.

Robstar
01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
What if Robstar wasn't obsessed with Vickie Guerrero.

Then there wouldn't be an almost 50 page thread dedicated to my love for her!

Tcarms920
01-14-2011, 10:55 PM
You can't create "Era's" and if you're going to call someone retarded perhaps you should use the right "You're" because not doing so really makes you look like the retarded one.

Many instances even before the whole "attitude" era contributed to it being what it is and was.
Sure, after they started to take note of this, they started using the term "attitude" to define their wrestling brand as a whole, not an "era"
Only in time, did it become an era.

its wrestling, its all written they can make it WHATEVER THEY WANT. and they chose to use attitude so they called it the attitude era to attract fans looking for wrestling in that genre

Me using the wrong your isnt retarded, its the internet not english class i dont need to have perfect grammer.
and i hope you know by pointing that out makes you a douche bag. and wrestling can create there own eras because its not a real sport, its a soap opera. dont get me wrong the wrestlers are amazing athletes and have serious tallent and put there bodys through so much day in and day out but at the end of the day its a soap opera and if WWF wants to make an attitude or any other era like the PG era its in now. it can create it, and did.

MattElder
01-15-2011, 03:42 AM
its wrestling, its all written they can make it WHATEVER THEY WANT. and they chose to use attitude so they called it the attitude era to attract fans looking for wrestling in that genre

Me using the wrong your isnt retarded, its the internet not english class i dont need to have perfect grammer.
and i hope you know by pointing that out makes you a douche bag. and wrestling can create there own eras because its not a real sport, its a soap opera. dont get me wrong the wrestlers are amazing athletes and have serious tallent and put there bodys through so much day in and day out but at the end of the day its a soap opera and if WWF wants to make an attitude or any other era like the PG era its in now. it can create it, and did.

Totally agree with this BUT the factor which makes it an era is wether the fans except but they are accepting the storyline, The Fact remains which if the WWF writers didnt use the storylines, didnt accept the stone cold steve austin character and they didnt call it "Attitude" then it would never have happened FACT!

The guys debating this point please explain why to me cos its pretty hard to understand how it could have happened, unless of course its like Noah and the great floods

If anybody differs then please explain to me how this Attitude era would