PDA

View Full Version : The Comics & TPB's Thread.

Kashdinero
01-08-2011, 08:28 PM
As the title suggests, I'm starting a thread about comics and trade paperbacks.

Who are your favourite characters?
Recomendations?
What are you currently reading?

To start with I'll say this.

Y the Last Man (made by DC Vertigo). I have volumes 1-10 of this phenomenal journey of a man and his monkey (which is win in it's self!) in a world where they are the only living beings left on earth that have the Y chromosome. After something kills every breathing male on the planet, barring our hero Yorick and his little primate buddy Ampersand, the world is thrown in to chaos!!
I'm not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye (what a wanker!) as I read the final pages of this outstanding piece of work by Bryan K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra.

Why it hasn't been made in to a TV series yet is something I've yet to figure out. I've read that plans have been drawn up but, to my questionable knowledge, nothing has come of it yet.

SilverGhost
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Marvel for me. I'll read some DC but Marvel is kinda good.

Necroyeti
01-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Motherfucking deleted my reply by accident.

Reader's digest:
Prefer novels.
Used to read 2000AD.
Last read: Blankets and Persepolis. Really good.
Alltime favourite: Maus

Kashdinero
01-12-2011, 06:36 AM
The X-Men and all related titles are my weakness. I stopped reading comics for about 12 years but now I've got the bug again and am currently reading (almost) every X-title there ever was in chronological order! I'm in the middle the Onslaught saga at the moment, which came out just before I stopped reading.
I'm also a massive fan of the original Image comics. I'm in the process of catching up with Spawn, Savage Dragon, wetworks, Youngblood, Wildcats, Gen 13, Cyberforce and a few more.

@SG. Yeah, I pretty much feel that way, about the mainstream characters (apart from Batman & Lobo) but the DC vertigo line of comics is fucking sick!! Also The Watchmen was way cool for it's day! Gotta love that Rorschach
I highly recommend Preacher and the aforementioned Y the Last Man.

@Yetti. Is Maus really that good? Wizard ranked it number one on the top fifty TPB's of all time. It's been on my to read list for a while now. It's just been bumped up to next purchase!

Necroyeti
01-12-2011, 10:38 AM
@Yetti. Is Maus really that good? Wizard ranked it number one on the top fifty TPB's of all time. It's been on my to read list for a while now. It's just been bumped up to next purchase!
If one single graphic novel could be used to demostrate the legitimacy of the medium as an art-form, Maus would probably be a stellar choice.

As someone who finds oscar bait like Schindler's List and The Pianist paper-thin sentimental fluff, Maus is a surprisingly deep and insightful narrative on the Holocaust. Replacing Jews with mice, Germans with cats, Americans with dogs, Poles with pigs etc, ironically makes the whole thing seem more human.

HeelTurn
01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Batman and Deadpool, i prefer DC comics to Marvel, but I love the Deadpool comics, and Marvel Zombies to.

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Batman and Deadpool, i prefer DC comics to Marvel, but I love the Deadpool comics, and Marvel Zombies to.

Deadpool is one of my all time favourites, I have his first appearance (New Mutants 98), I bought it for like, a quid, Now its worth quite a bit more!
Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank (Sin City/300) Miller are some of my all time favourite reads. As is Alan (Watchmen) Moore's The Killing Joke.
You should check out The Boys, from Dynamite Comic's. It's premise is based on the quote from The watchmen, "who watches the Watchmen".

Its currently up to volume 7 in it's TPB format, and it just keeps getting better.

HeelTurn
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Deadpool is one of my all time favourites, I have his first appearance (New Mutants 98), I bought it for like, a quid, Now its worth quite a bit more!
Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank (Sin City/300) Miller are some of my all time favourite reads. As is Alan (Watchmen) Moore's The Killing Joke.
You should check out The Boys, from Dynamite Comic's. It's premise is based on the quote from The watchmen, "who watches the Watchmen".

Its currently up to volume 7 in it's TPB format, and it just keeps getting better.

I have the Killing Joke, and the Man Who laughed. I was even lucky enough to pick up A Death In the Family in their original paperback versions for a couple of quid.

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I have the Killing Joke, and the Man Who laughed. I was even lucky enough to pick up A Death In the Family in their original paperback versions for a couple of quid.

Nice! I also have to recommend Marvel's 1602, it's a fantastic idea, in it's self, and the artwork compliments the era that it's set in marvellously (excuse the pun).

I have a question did you LoL at the punchline in TKJ?

HeelTurn
01-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Nice! I also have to recommend Marvel's 1602, it's a fantastic idea, in it's self, and the artwork compliments the era that it's set in marvellously (excuse the pun).

I have a question did you LoL at the punchline in TKJ?

Honestly havent read that yet, got that 1, Marvel Zombies Returns and the new Deadpool hardback for xmas, havent read tkj yet.

Kashdinero
01-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Honestly havent read that yet, got that 1, Marvel Zombies Returns and the new Deadpool hardback for xmas, havent read tkj yet.

You have something to look forward to then. There's a reason everyone raves about it.

I've got Issue 1 of Zombies return on my phone and was impressed with it, its been on my to read list for a while. My next puchase's are gonna be Maus and Zombies volume 1!

HeelTurn
01-16-2011, 06:20 AM
You have something to look forward to then. There's a reason everyone raves about it.

I've got Issue 1 of Zombies return on my phone and was impressed with it, its been on my to read list for a while. My next puchase's are gonna be Maus and Zombies volume 1!

Marvel Zombies is alot of fun, Deadpool even pops up in 1 of them, Batman Hush is a good read to.

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Marvel Zombies is alot of fun, Deadpool even pops up in 1 of them, Batman Hush is a good read to.

I'll get to Hush eventually, I've heard great things about it!

The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale is a great look into the origin of Two-Face! Set a around the same time as Batman Year one, it's a 13 episode whodunnit that'll have you guessing until the end!

Did you ever read the masterful Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and the incredible Alex Ross?

HeelTurn
01-16-2011, 02:31 PM
I'll get to Hush eventually, I've heard great things about it!

The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale is a great look into the origin of Two-Face! Set a around the same time as Batman Year one, it's a 13 episode whodunnit that'll have you guessing until the end!

Did you ever read the masterful Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and the incredible Alex Ross?

I havent read Kingdom Come yet, although Ive heard its meant to be incredible, The Long Halloween is one ive been after for a while, Im a big fan of Two-Face.

SilverGhost
01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Deadpool....that is all.

HeelTurn
01-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Deadpool....that is all.

Its true, its DAMN true!

Kashdinero
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I havent read Kingdom Come yet, although Ive heard its meant to be incredible, The Long Halloween is one ive been after for a while, Im a big fan of Two-Face.

Kingdom Come is a must read, I have all four original copies. The storytelling equals, which is an incredible feat, the painted visuals

Deadpool....that is all.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 Deadpool FTW