PDA

View Full Version : Moves that have been banned from wrestling

TheMadThinker
01-06-2011, 01:54 AM
Due to a history of neck injuries associated with the pile driver Kane and the Undertaker are the only wrestlers allowed to use that move in WWE.

I think WWE and TNA also recently banned unprotected chair shots to the head due to concussions.

What other moves can you think of that have been banned?

What are some moves that you rarely see anymore?

North Vegas Benny
01-06-2011, 01:58 AM
Scott Steiner's screwdriver I had heard wcw banned it because it was the move that broke Buff Bagwell's neck, and even when he was in TNA he rarely used it.

The Brown One
01-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I believe jackknife powerbombs are banned. The Burning Hammer was also banned, but now they let Tyler Reks use a watered down version of it, but not the original for safety reasons.
Also, The Vertabreaker(I think Homicide does this, can't really remember), Tiger driver, running Powerbombs(because D'Lo Brown broke Droz's neck with this, and left him quadriplegic). Well thats all I can think of for now.

tittle97
01-06-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm sure the WWE has a list longer than Jericho's Man of 1004 moves list. I understand they want to protect their investments, I mean wrestlers, but maybe they should allow moves that look cool and have their "superstars" train better and actually execute them safely. I remember when Big Lazy had the Jacknife "banned" because he couldn't lift the Giant. I'm suprised he didn't tear his quad while doing it.

CMhuw24
01-06-2011, 02:58 AM
The shooting star press used tp be banned but they let Evan Bourne use it as he can obviously pull it off safely.

JohnnyPhantom
01-06-2011, 03:02 AM
I seem to remember hearing about the 450 Splash being banned with Juvi being the last being able to do it. Obviously now Gabriel does it... although he looks like hes about to crap his pants everytime he sets it up.

CMhuw24
01-06-2011, 03:05 AM
I seem to remember hearing about the 450 Splash being banned with Juvi being the last being able to do it. Obviously now Gabriel does it... although he looks like hes about to crap his pants everytime he sets it up.

Thats so true! Everytime he'd set it up on Cena i remember looking at his face and seeing fear, but who wouldnt if youu know Cena will be put over youu sooner or later.

Necroyeti
01-06-2011, 03:13 AM
I remember the story about WWE's supposed ban on chest chops because the WOOOO's reminded people of Ric Flair who was in TNA. Then someone did a chest chop the very next week.... then the next week.... the week after that etc.

tittle97
01-06-2011, 03:18 AM
I remember the story about WWE's supposed ban on chest chops because the WOOOO's reminded people of Ric Flair who was in TNA. Then someone did a chest chop the very next week.... then the next week.... the week after that etc.

Yeah that was really dumb. I think that's the only thing that the Big Show can do anymore that is intimidating. He just acts like a smilin mongoloid now. However, I wouldn't want to get smacked with one of those hubcap sized paws.

The Brown One
01-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Thats so true! Everytime he'd set it up on Cena i remember looking at his face and seeing fear, but who wouldnt if youu know Cena will be put over youu sooner or later.

I lold hard at that one :P
He covers it up well by giving us that evil grin on his face before he hits it.

tittle97
01-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Didn't Paul London almost get fired after he did a used a shooting star plancha?

JohnnyPhantom
01-06-2011, 04:06 AM
That would be pretty crazy if London wasnt aloud to do that move, he was crazy athletic. But its WWE... so my answer would prolly be yes... he almost did.

The Brown One
01-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Yeah he almost did. Stupid too. He pulled it off, so why are they complaining! It looked so awesome too.

Robstar
01-06-2011, 04:15 AM
I'm sure the WWE has a list longer than Jericho's Man of 1004 moves list. I understand they want to protect their investments, I mean wrestlers, but maybe they should allow moves that look cool and have their "superstars" train better and actually execute them safely. I remember when Big Lazy had the Jacknife "banned" because he couldn't lift the Giant. I'm suprised he didn't tear his quad while doing it.

Lol, Big Lazy, that's funny. Chances are he injured himself complaining about it though

tittle97
01-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Lol, Big Lazy, that's funny. Chances are he injured himself complaining about it though

Ha ha yeah when I was talking to Nash at Wizard World Chicago last year he actually bitched to me, my girlfriend and three friends that he thought he wasn't being utilized properly in TNA. I mean, we egged him on a little bit and told him how great he was LOL. We laughed our asses off after we talked to him. I gotta say he was pretty cool though.Maybe it was just because we (tried) talking to Raven before Nash though....

The Brown One
01-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Ha ha yeah when I was talking to Nash at Wizard World Chicago last year he actually bitched to me, my girlfriend and three friends that he thought he wasn't being utilized properly in TNA. I mean, we egged him on a little bit and told him how great he was LOL. We laughed our asses off after we talked to him. I gotta say he was pretty cool though.Maybe it was just because we (tried) talking to Raven before Nash though....

He probably was being underutilized in TNA, but I think hes blowing up about it too much. Did you see his latest rant on Twitter? Lots of fuc* you TNA sentences :/

tittle97
01-06-2011, 04:45 AM
He probably was being underutilized in TNA, but I think hes blowing up about it too much. Did you see his latest rant on Twitter? Lots of fuc* you TNA sentences :/

He started off 94% of his sentences to us like this... "You see the problem with TNA is... or I know I could do a lot more, and I bring a lot to the table." I did ask him if he wanted to smoke a joint after the convention. He laughed and declined. Oh well, we could have asked Raven and I'm sure he would have said yeah but he was a grade A dildo.

The Brown One
01-06-2011, 05:26 AM
He started off 94% of his sentences to us like this... "You see the problem with TNA is... or I know I could do a lot more, and I bring a lot to the table." I did ask him if he wanted to smoke a joint after the convention. He laughed and declined. Oh well, we could have asked Raven and I'm sure he would have said yeah but he was a grade A dildo.

Hes way past his prime. He had a good run, but now he should call it quits.

tittle97
01-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Hes way past his prime. He had a good run, but now he should call it quits.

I was always a big Nash fan, starting when he was Diesel through the nWo years. But he should come back ONLY to do commentating. He couldn't book and wrestle at the same time. No one can. As far as Raven goes, I think he's very intelligent and really liked his character in ECW. Reminded me almost of Jake the Snake as far as intensity went. He really portrayed the Raven character well. Then he went to WCW and seemed really watered down. His arrival to WCW was pretty awesome though. Back when guys were jumping over left and right week after week.

cainecollin
01-06-2011, 05:37 AM
The Original version of the doomsday device (person flips off the back instead of the person hoisting falling back with it) is banned.

And piledrivers in general are banned in many promotions due to the high chance of a neck injury.

tittle97
01-06-2011, 05:39 AM
The Original version of the doomsday device (person flips off the back instead of the person hoisting falling back with it) is banned.

And piledrivers in general are banned in many promotions due to the high chance of a neck injury.

I can see why that version of the DD was banned. It was BRUTAL and was one of my favorite moves as a kid.

cainecollin
01-06-2011, 06:01 AM
I loved the way it looked, but yeah many people broke their necks landing wrong from the fall.

tittle97
01-06-2011, 06:09 AM
I loved the way it looked, but yeah many people broke their necks landing wrong from the fall.

I've re-watched matches of the LOD/RWarriors and noticed they wrestled STIFF as hell though. Nothing beats that move, best tag team double team finisher EVER. The 3D in ECW was brutal as hell though.....solid #2.

Lowki
01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Choke holds were banned after the benoit incident. The crossface was banned until they gave it to HHH and HBK a few times and now Bryan with the LeBell lock variation (it's the crossface with an omoplata).

I've noticed over the years any kind of move that drops a person on their head, especially with DDTs. They seem to drop them face first rather than roll through now (Although oddly enough, Maryse and Mickie did roll throughs).

With the tombstone, there's the risk factor but also the damage on Kane/undertakers knees. In their early careers they used it loads until around 2000 when they both used chokeslams (undertaker - Last ride) instead due to the damage of someone their weight landing on their knees repeatedly. This is why Taker's knees are as bad as they are now.

Also banned are the use of everday items as weapons - Sports Bats and equipment/DIY tools etc were used a lot years ago.
I recall a VKM quote saying about this not to long ago (which he was talking about TNA and weapons)
On Triple H invading Randy Orton's home with a sledgehammer:

"Right. What we try to do in situations like that is use things that you can't find around the house. You will never see us use a baseball bat. You don't find folding metal chairs around the house. We are very selective. You can go up to the line."

tittle97
01-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Choke holds were banned after the benoit incident. The crossface was banned until they gave it to HHH and HBK a few times and now Bryan with the LeBell lock variation (it's the crossface with an omoplata).

I've noticed over the years any kind of move that drops a person on their head, especially with DDTs. They seem to drop them face first rather than roll through now (Although oddly enough, Maryse and Mickie did roll throughs).

With the tombstone, there's the risk factor but also the damage on Kane/undertakers knees. In their early careers they used it loads until around 2000 when they both used chokeslams (undertaker - Last ride) instead due to the damage of someone their weight landing on their knees repeatedly. This is why Taker's knees are as bad as they are now.

Also banned are the use of everday items as weapons - Sports Bats and equipment/DIY tools etc were used a lot years ago.
I recall a VKM quote saying about this not to long ago (which he was talking about TNA and weapons)
On Triple H invading Randy Orton's home with a sledgehammer:

"Right. What we try to do in situations like that is use things that you can't find around the house. You will never see us use a baseball bat. You don't find folding metal chairs around the house. We are very selective. You can go up to the line."

VKM is a slippery sonofabitch when he wants to be LOL

jman
01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
WWE must of banned 99% of moves cant remember the last time i see actual moves in a match hurricanna's n suplex's etc.
I read that rey mysterio said he'd rather use 2 or 3 moves in a match than when he used to do 15 to 20 spots which i understand n is fair enough but once in a while i'd like to see a match that doesnt look 100% the same as every other
i would love to see someone try something like lesnar did at wrestlemania vs angle imagin if cena tried that lmao people wold flip

Tell em hawk!"
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Scott Steiner's screwdriver I had heard wcw banned it because it was the move that broke Buff Bagwell's neck, and even when he was in TNA he rarely used it.

I think it was Rick Steiner's Top rope Bulldog that Hurt Bagwells neck

Robstar
01-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I've heard WWE has banned properly planned and executed storylines and giving decent names to their wrestlers. Also TNA has banned non-WCW storylines

Rich Cranium
01-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I've heard WWE has banned properly planned and executed storylines and giving decent names to their wrestlers. Also TNA has banned non-WCW storylines

Also managers excluding valets!

RomanFlare
01-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Anyone know if theres a possible ban on the Jackhammer (I forget the technical name) that Goldberg used, because he's a crybaby? I mean, I saw a video on youtube where Sheamus used it, and I thought it looked great. If its not banned, I'm shocked I haven't seen him use it in the WWE yet (I didn't watch a lot of his ECW matches, so correct me if I'm wrong).

Bodom
01-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I doubt there's a ban on the Jackhammer. Burchill used it as his finisher towards the end of his run on ECW.

Lowki
01-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I think batista also used the Jackhammer once or twice.